AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 26 29.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 34.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 22.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 12.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-12, 22:29   Link #121
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfftw View Post
im starting to like ami more and more and just went i thought Taiga couldnt go worse she becomes worse even ruuji became agree nuf said.
How I construct sentence?

Seriously, you gotta understand that Taiga is screwed up BECAUSE her family life is screwed up. Can't blame her for that.

Besides, you may notice she's not calling him a "dog" anymore.
Old 2008-12-12, 23:42   Link #122
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
The problem is Ryuji is self imposing his own pain on Taiga's which is not right too. In fact it is a bit arrogant for Ryuji to do so.

Both sides have axes to grind, IMHO.
Old 2008-12-13, 00:16   Link #123
Caster13
=^_^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
The problem is Ryuji is self imposing his own pain on Taiga's which is not right too.
I wonder a bit about that actually. In the very last scene where Taiga's father hugs her and she closes her eyes and leans her head into him. I wonder if she think that Ryuuji was right all along. Her expression is a bit hard to read.

Old 2008-12-13, 01:41   Link #124
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
How I construct sentence?

Seriously, you gotta understand that Taiga is screwed up BECAUSE her family life is screwed up. Can't blame her for that.

Besides, you may notice she's not calling him a "dog" anymore.
Well, some people can handle it in different ways. While some shun other people and act more hesistant around public interaction, other will take a different route and treat more people kindly. It's kind of like, do you push away everyone to keep from being hurt again or do you accept everyone to feel happy again?

It just depends on the rest of the arc at this point. I still wonder though...does the school hate or fear or like Taiga? They just seem to twist it around constantly. Many people find her cute, but she's turned them down. (Which, was only described to us. We haven't actually seen it, other than Kitamura's backstory) Do they just love Ami more and decide to take her side?

I'm hoping that this doesn't change into a couple vs. society kind of issue.
Old 2008-12-13, 01:58   Link #125
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
I still wonder though...does the school hate or fear or like Taiga? They just seem to twist it around constantly. Many people find her cute, but she's turned them down. (Which, was only described to us. We haven't actually seen it, other than Kitamura's backstory) Do they just love Ami more and decide to take her side?

I'm hoping that this doesn't change into a couple vs. society kind of issue.
Hate is not the right word - fear is the one you are looking for. Most people don't hate tigers but fear them instinctively and keeps their distance, but provided they are locked in a cage people even enjoys looking at them and admire their beautiful fur, which is why people like going to circus and zoos. They think the same of Taiga, nice to look at (even a classmate said he is in the "Taiga affiliation" in PE class), just not many has the courage to try to tame it.

Most people like Ami because she puts on a cute and friendly fake face.

The play that Haruta wrote is actually a pretty accurate summary of what people who don't know Ami, Taiga and Ryuji on personal level think of them on a superficial level.
Old 2008-12-13, 02:09   Link #126
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Hate is not the right word - fear is the one you are looking for. Most people don't hate tigers but fear them instinctively and keeps their distance, but provided they are locked in a cage people even enjoys looking at them and admire their beautiful fur, which is why people like going to circus and zoos. They think the same of Taiga, nice to look at (even a classmate said he is in the "Taiga affiliation" in PE class), just not many has the courage to try to tame it.

Most people like Ami because she puts on a cute and friendly fake face.

The play that Haruta wrote is actually a pretty accurate summary of what people who don't know Ami, Taiga and Ryuji on personal level think of them on a superficial level.
That's a pretty good analysis there...they did mention that. However, I'm relatively curious with how influential the school will be. Going back to Episode 8, everyone betted against Taiga. They even endangered Ryuuji's life by knocking him cold and into the water and no one felt like saving him. It's pretty sad, but it makes me wonder about the series. Especially with the now berserk and dejected Yuri.
Old 2008-12-13, 02:19   Link #127
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
That's a pretty good analysis there...they did mention that. However, I'm relatively curious with how influential the school will be. Going back to Episode 8, everyone betted against Taiga.
They all knew Taiga couldn't swim. You don't bet on a person who can't swim to win a swimming race no matter how good the payout is. That's just being rational and logical, not because of hate.

Quote:
They even endangered Ryuuji's life by knocking him cold and into the water and no one felt like saving him. It's pretty sad, but it makes me wonder about the series.
Kids are kids - remember they are still 16-17 year olds. They play around the pool and knocked someone into it, and in a panic can't decide on what the right decision is.

Quote:
Especially with the now berserk and dejected Yuri.
She's going through a hard period in life, and she's taking it out on her students.

It's worth explaining here that in Japan, a woman who is 30 but is still unmarried and without even a boy friend is consider to be a big loser in life, even unhealthy, unnatural and strange. There're enourmous social pressure from everyone when you are in a position like this. Which is why there's always that running joke on her being 30 and single on screen.
Old 2008-12-13, 02:21   Link #128
roan

It's also partially because the author herself turned 30 (or was getting pretty close) by the time the 5th volume, which was the original material for these episodes, was released.

In other words, Yuyupo's mocking herself.

Last edited by roan; 2008-12-13 at 02:32.
Old 2008-12-13, 03:21   Link #129
wistfulloner

Quote:
Agreed. That's what makes the main and minor characters differ in opinion and cause major misunderstandings.
Old 2008-12-13, 03:26   Link #130
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
They all knew Taiga couldn't swim. You don't bet on a person who can't swim to win a swimming race no matter how good the payout is. That's just being rational and logical, not because of hate.

Kids are kids - remember they are still 16-17 year olds. They play around the pool and knocked someone into it, and in a panic can't decide on what the right decision is.

She's going through a hard period in life, and she's taking it out on her students.

It's worth explaining here that in Japan, a woman who is 30 but is still unmarried and without even a boy friend is consider to be a big loser in life, even unhealthy, unnatural and strange. There're enourmous social pressure from everyone when you are in a position like this. Which is why there's always that running joke on her being 30 and single on screen.
Well I can understand the first and third point...but the second one is the one that gets me. I don't think they were panicked because I thought the transition was that Ryuuji was knocked in and then Taiga saved him and ranted about how Ryuuji was hers. Especially since a few moments before that, a few students were complaining to him how Ami showed interest in him.
Old 2008-12-13, 05:02   Link #131
wistfulloner

Even in a panic, it should be a simple equation that if you see someone drowning, you should save him/her. Safety wasn't really an issue there; its just a swimming pool, and many of the students know how to swim.
Old 2008-12-13, 05:14   Link #132
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Even in a panic, it should be a simple equation that if you see someone drowning, you should save him/her. Safety wasn't really an issue there; its just a swimming pool, and many of the students know how to swim.
Er that's simply not true. Didn't anyone ever teach you that knowing how to swim and saving a drowning person are two completely different things? In fact a lot of accidents occurs because someone wanting to save a drowning person gets caught and both dies as a result. The responsible thing really is to inform someone who does know how to do it (eg teacher in charge, life guard), and not jump in.

Also by your logic public swimming pools would never need trained life guards because "most people would be able to swim" and it's "just a swimming pool". Also there is no proof that many students know how to swim as swimming class in Japan is compulsary - meaning you have to attend even if you don't know how to swim! eg Taiga
Old 2008-12-13, 06:08   Link #133
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitaroNagato View Post
Manhandling for me is out of the question. If a guy tries to be like that towards me, even slap me, I wouldnt tolerate it. I believe there is a time and a place to handle situation that can be handle correspondingly.

I understand what you are saying, I also understand maybe 90% in AnimeSuki are male, and 10% like myself are female. Most comments on Ryuuji I'm assuming are male perspectives, my looks on those issues are a very sensitive topic. It's hard to even really talk about it, and to clearly state correctly about issues like that.

Fine, I understand Taiga that didnt wanted to talk to her dad...
Fine, I understand Ryuujji really cares for her, and wanted to help her...

Yet, Ryuuji could have approach differently, I'm not talking about how he would handle it, but with less physical force, without bruising her.

If the writers at JC-Staff left the bruising part out of the picture, I would have a different opinion.

Edit:
stormy001_M1A2;2103131,please forgive my runting, I do value your opinion as I value everyone else. Topic like this is very sensitive and a little hard to swallow for me. So please forgive me. I'm always looking forward on what everyone has to say, I love each comments and there will be a time that I will find some comments hard to reason, due to the sensitivity of the topic at hand. So please forgive my runting. And ps- I love you thou .... ^^
Thanks for understanding.

But one thing bugs me a lot here. When Taiga literally bully Ryuji with physical attacks like a wooden sword attack, a kick to the back of the face, uppercut punches and whatnot no one blinks an eye here or hell, laughed at it whenever she feel wants to. But when Ryuji manhandles her mildly for a right cause, people here are not happy. What gives?
Old 2008-12-13, 06:36   Link #134
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Er that's simply not true. Didn't anyone ever teach you that knowing how to swim and saving a drowning person are two completely different things? In fact a lot of accidents occurs because someone wanting to save a drowning person gets caught and both dies as a result. The responsible thing really is to inform someone who does know how to do it (eg teacher in charge, life guard), and not jump in.

Also by your logic public swimming pools would never need trained life guards because "most people would be able to swim" and it's "just a swimming pool". Also there is no proof that many students know how to swim as swimming class in Japan is compulsary - meaning you have to attend even if you don't know how to swim! eg Taiga
Well, that actually raises a brow because while there was a lifeguard/teacher on duty, even he didn't help out. He only actually appeared at the end of the scene when Ryuuji regained consciousness. And it even makes more of a statement because while Taiga did save him, she wasn't a good swimmer in the first place. And while that is more responsible, this would seem like an "Every second counts" scenerio.
Old 2008-12-13, 06:53   Link #135
satuross

Quote:
It's also partially because the author herself turned 30 (or was getting pretty close) by the time the 5th volume, which was the original material for these episodes, was released.

In other words, Yuyupo's mocking herself.
But dont you think she made quite a fun character?
you know, nowadays quite allot of 30-and-older people dont get married because they just dont want to.... like for profession and such.

Quite a lot of my old alumni friends ends up in this category... and they seem happy with it (a lot as in more then 10 people out of 88 girls of my batch). They do have the looks, and im pretty sure they are able pick a boy just by asking, but they just dont want to.

I guess japanese and our society are pretty different huh? but thats surprising. Since most of the stuff i heard about japanese people are robotic, hardworking, and suicidal.
Its interesting to know that there are more to japan then those stuff i just mentioned.
Old 2008-12-13, 07:48   Link #136
prototype_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Thanks for understanding.

But one thing bugs me a lot here. When Taiga literally bully Ryuji with physical attacks like a wooden sword attack, a kick to the back of the face, uppercut punches and whatnot no one blinks an eye here or hell, laughed at it whenever she feel wants to. But when Ryuji manhandles her mildly for a right cause, people here are not happy. What gives?
Exactly its not like he bitched slapped her

Assualting her father privates was crossing the line, man even Ryuji felt that kick
Old 2008-12-13, 08:22   Link #137
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

That's what I don't understand, really. It's all right for Taiga to manhandle Ryuuji, but not if he held her down for a cause he believed was right? There's a reverse sexism going on, if that's the case. :3
Old 2008-12-13, 08:22   Link #138
satuross

girl kick boys = good comedy

boy kick girls = bad bad bad

does this explain enough? ^_^

afterall, if a girl touches a boy, she cant be accused sexual harrasment. because the police will just laugh at you.
this is how the world moves XD u guys just have to live with it ahhahaa.
Old 2008-12-13, 08:47   Link #139
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by satuross View Post
This is most definitely debatable.
Old 2008-12-13, 09:15   Link #140
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by satuross View Post

boy kick girls = bad bad bad

does this explain enough? ^_^

afterall, if a girl touches a boy, she cant be accused sexual harrasment. because the police will just laugh at you.
this is how the world moves XD u guys just have to live with it ahhahaa.
Not always. If you talk to a female cop/lawyer on the subject, they'll be serious about it. And men may take your side too if the woman in question is ugly.
Closed Thread