AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-23, 11:27   Link #81
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

I'm interested in some things :

1) Evolution-R is a filler and have almost nothing with novels, but what about Slayers Try ?

2) Who can give me some summaries of novels ? What about manga ? Is it close to original novels or rather different ?
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 17:10   Link #82
GDB

Episode 11 spoilers first:
Spoiler for ep11:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
I'm interested in some things :

1) Evolution-R is a filler and have almost nothing with novels, but what about Slayers Try ?

2) Who can give me some summaries of novels ? What about manga ? Is it close to original novels or rather different ?
Slayers Try is 95% filler. The only part that's not, is the Sword of Light returning to Darkstar's world. In the novels, Phibrizzo does this, but since they decided to randomly have Xelloss give it back to Gourry at the end of Next, they made another season to get rid of it.

For the novels (note, this is just from my understanding, as I haven't read more than footnotes for anything past 8):
Spoiler for Potential Novel Spoilers:
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 02:32   Link #83
xellos2099

I just saw 11 and I got ot say when Xellos open his eye, it look freaking scary.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 07:33   Link #84
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

Now I haven't particularly read any of the novels or manga, but I have been enjoying season 4 quite a bit, the last few episodes particularly.

Granted, the climax of the first half was kinda ho-hum, but I think they've made up for it in the 2nd half easily. Hopefully the climax and ending live up to the previous 3, and if it does, I might just have to add the dvd release to my other 3 boxes ^_^
mageormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 18:49   Link #85
chechiarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Episode 11 spoilers first:
Spoiler for ep11:

Slayers Try is 95% filler. The only part that's not, is the Sword of Light returning to Darkstar's world. In the novels, Phibrizzo does this, but since they decided to randomly have Xelloss give it back to Gourry at the end of Next, they made another season to get rid of it.

For the novels (note, this is just from my understanding, as I haven't read more than footnotes for anything past 8):
Spoiler for Potential Novel Spoilers:

no no try was not a filler anime and manga are happening on 2 different time line ok in place on try in he manga theres knight of aqualord k
Old 2009-03-27, 19:24   Link #86
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechiarts View Post
no no try was not a filler anime and manga are happening on 2 different time line ok in place on try in he manga theres knight of aqualord k
Who cares about the manga when talking about the original stories? The novels are the original stories, and nothing even close to Slayers Try (nor Knights of the Aqualord) happens in them.

Try is more of an anime filler than Revolution/Evolution-R are.
Old 2009-03-27, 19:56   Link #87
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well anyways did just get to see episode 10. Probably my favourite since I like Zel's character. Makes me want them to bring Rezo back just so Zelgadis can kill him :anger:. There wasn't much about Zel's past that you couldn't have guessed but definitely brings back some memories. Zel was just trying to do the right thing back then to help. Has to really hurt to be in a form where you will be seen as a monster.

Should have expected it, but was still surprised at how far Rezo went. Causing a plague so he could use the townspeople in his experiments. Though this is a guy who was willing to bring back a dark lord and then go and revive Zanifar so he could fight said dark lord. The man just goes into insane territory to get what he wants.
Old 2009-03-28, 07:43   Link #88
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Thing about TRY being filler is that while many of it was a bit fillerish, at least they were fun and the writing was still sharp.

And even with the relatively useless enemy henchmen in TRY, the ones in Evolution/Revolution just feels a bit inconsequential. Even Zuuma felt almost useless in the grand scheme of things. So he got involved with the Jar of Rezo, then poof, he's killed.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 06:57   Link #89
chechiarts

[QUOTE=GDB;2302381]Who cares about the manga when talking about the original stories? The novels are the original stories, and nothing even close to Slayers Try (nor Knights of the Aqualord) happens in them.

Try is more of an anime filler than Revolution/Evolution-R are.[/QU

anime is anime novels are novels and manga is manga they are happening in different plains of existence
Old 2009-03-29, 07:10   Link #90
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Who cares about the manga when talking about the original stories? The novels are the original stories, and nothing even close to Slayers Try (nor Knights of the Aqualord) happens in them.

Try is more of an anime filler than Revolution/Evolution-R are.
anime is anime novels are novels and manga is manga they are happening in different plains of existence
Manga and Novel form tend to be more polished in story and general fiction of the work anime for all its greatness plays 2nd fiddle to it on those issues most of the time because the production company is trying too hard to make a show too please everyone...
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 11:43   Link #91
GDB

Quote:
And the anime and manga are based off of the novels up through Slayers Next, since the novels came first. So the anime and manga are compared to the novels. Source material is considered the primary canon.
Old 2009-03-29, 17:16   Link #92
chechiarts

that's to call try a filler is not fair they may come form the same place but each media is a different thing you can compare them
Old 2009-03-30, 08:29   Link #93
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

Okay wow. Episode 12 was a lot of fun.

Spoiler for epic spoilers for episode, watch out!:

I wasn't sure about how this season was gonna go after the slightly lackluster halfway point, but it certainly made up for it in spades IMO.

Hooray for Slayers, and lets hope for a wonderful conclusion next week
mageormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 16:38   Link #94
GDB

Agreed.

Spoiler for ep12:
Old 2009-03-30, 22:35   Link #95
xellos2099

I found it interesting that Rezo ask Lina to kill him as soon as he open his eye. However, it made me wonder how will they beat Shabaranigdo this time without Gigaslave.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 11:03   Link #96
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Just one plot hole. Rezo's SOUL was in the jar. There's no reason the the fragment of Ruby Eye should be resurrected too.

Just like the plot hole of Revolution: they all acted like they've never seen Zanaffar before, even though they fought it when it combined with Rezo in season I, and KILLED IT
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 11:07   Link #97
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Just one plot hole. Rezo's SOUL was in the jar. There's no reason the the fragment of Ruby Eye should be resurrected too.

Just like the plot hole of Revolution: they all acted like they've never seen Zanaffar before, even though they fought it when it combined with Rezo in season I, and KILLED IT
Shabernigdo is locked in the souls of people every so often, so Rezo has that cruse that is liked to his eye sight.
Old 2009-03-31, 12:57   Link #98
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I know...but they killed it. It got resurrected with rezo's soul?

BTW, is Rezo's evil self influenced by Ruby Eyes, or not? Because I remember that in season I, part I, the remains of Rezo's soul held back Shabranigdo enough for Lina to cast Giga Slave, saying something like "That is enough, my evil part, or something"
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 13:01   Link #99
ZippyDSM

Quote:
I know...but they killed it. It got resurrected with rezo's soul?

BTW, is Rezo's evil self influenced by Ruby Eyes, or not? Because I remember that in season I, part I, the remains of Rezo's soul held back Shabranigdo enough for Lina to cast Giga Slave, saying something like "That is enough, my evil part, or something"
They killed the physical form, the demon gods or whatnot live on another plain and not be killed in a conventional since.
Old 2009-03-31, 16:48   Link #100
GDB

Quote:

Well, the Zanaffar in season 1 wasn't complete. If it were, it'd have been like the one in Revolution, rather than just an aura/armor for Copy Rezo. So it was the first time they saw a true Zanaffar.

As others have said, the Ruby Eyes shards are sealed within souls, not bodies. And since the Rezo soul in the jar knows exactly what happened with the battle between Ruby Eyes and Lina, he must've sealed himself within the jar as he died. This gives Ruby Eyes a chance to survive as well.

Tags
comedy, fantasy