AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: New Naming Scheme
Yes, change to Title - ## [Group][CRC] 19 39.58%
No, keep as [Group] Title - ## [CRC] 29 60.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-12, 07:31   Link #21
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbunnie27 View Post
Yes, I quite firmly understand that it's not uniform, but the naming scheme for all the releases is in fact uniform, or at least very close to it. I have never seen a fansub group release their release with the name scheme other than [group name]title - ## [crc].video. Or something close to that, with the group name in front. Maybe it is just that I haven't seen enough anime or something, but if you can find an odd ball release that uses a different naming scheme, please direct me there.

There are a few groups that use the scheme you're talking about, like Honobono for example, and even some groups that have changed their naming schemes over time, like Spork. They release under that scheme purely because they prefer it, I guess. And why not? It's entirely up to them really.

There's no way you'll ever get every fansub group to change the way they do anything - and as martino says, it's surprising you don't realise this if you really are a fansubber.

But hey, if you really want to invoke change, why not try a different name scheme in all the groups you're in? Who knows, if you release enough like that, others may follow suit. But as I say, that's entirely up to them - no-one can force them.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 07:44   Link #22
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Yes, I quite firmly understand that it's not uniform, but the naming scheme for all the releases is in fact uniform, or at least very close to it. I have never seen a fansub group release their release with the name scheme other than [group name]title - ## [crc].video. Or something close to that, with the group name in front. Maybe it is just that I haven't seen enough anime or something, but if you can find an odd ball release that uses a different naming scheme, please direct me there.
let me tell you a story

Once upon a time a mathematician, a biologist and a novelist were visiting Scotland. They were riding a train, and as they passed by a meadow they spotted a black sheep.
"Interesting," said the novelist, "Scottish sheep are black!"
"No, no," said the biologist, "some Scottish sheep are black."
At this, the mathematician rolled his eyes, sighed and declared: "In Scotland there exists at least one meadow in which there is at least one sheep that has at least one side that appears black from here."

moral: it may be somewhat uncommon but it certainly isn't unheard of, see for example zx.starship.operators.01.h264.mkv, Mononoke_01_[Black_Sheep][720p_H264_AAC][3D0CC4DC].mkv or Macross_Frontier_[720p,BluRay,x264]_-_THORA
just poke around TT and anidb and you'll find plenty of examples
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 09:35   Link #23
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to blakbunnie27 Send a message via MSN to blakbunnie27
I had never heard of those fansubs; thanks for finding them, but there really is no significance in changing only some of the groups since it's something that is truly appreciated when one group fails to complete a series.

It's depressing that this is the response by the community. Oh well,
Old 2008-12-12, 09:54   Link #24
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
I had never heard of those fansubs; thanks for finding them, but there really is no significance in changing only some of the groups since it's something that is truly appreciated when one group fails to complete a series.

To be honest, you're the first person to mention you actually have a problem with naming schemes (and I suppose it's because in the grand scheme of things, they're not really all that important at all).

Quote:
It's depressing that this is the response by the community. Oh well,

Ha! Okay, I'm guessing you're new to the whole fansubbing "community" as you put it. No one speaks for the whole (who knows, someone may have read this and gone "that's a really good idea" and may implement your suggested change). Anyway, I wouldn't let you get it down. I just don't think it's all that important an issue that fansubbers would feel the need to change from their already-established way of naming releases.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 10:57   Link #25
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
poll lacks a "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" option

edit for content: no seriously, there have been discussions about various "fansubbing standards" before and the conclusion is pretty much always that a) it's a terrible idea and b) unless fansubbing suddenly turns into a very small closed circle of elitist jerks, only a small percentage would ever care about the "standard" so it's pointless anyway
It's very rare fluff and I will agree on anything... but yeah, this is a dumbass topic~
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 11:22   Link #26
Access

Quote:
My proposal: Change the naming scheme for new series (not the already airing and subbed ones) to:
Series Title - ep number [Fansub Name][CRC Value].video format.
or something like that for improved organization.

Some may say that changing a tradition type thing is bad, but if following the tradition is a poor way of doing something, why not improve it? What are other people's opinion on this?
I agree in principle, putting the name of the series first would be best for sorting reasons.
But, I wouldn't count on convincing the majority of the groups out there to put the group name _second_. So good luck to you.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 12:05   Link #27
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku Send a message via Skype™ to Koroku
Well, so we get everyone to move their names to the end... then what do we do when there are two groups on a single series, and they translate the title

Kyou_no_Go_no_Ni_-_01_[Chihiro][XviD_MP3].avi
Kyou_no_Go_no_Ni_-_03_[Chihiro][XviD_MP3].avi
Today_in_Class_5-2_-_02_[OtherGroup][XviD_MP3].avi

It'll still sort wrong. If you seriously think you can get groups to have standard names across the board... good luck. We can't even decide on the same romanization for shows.
Old 2008-12-12, 13:20   Link #28
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroku View Post
Well, so we get everyone to move their names to the end... then what do we do when there are two groups on a single series, and they translate the title

Kyou_no_Go_no_Ni_-_01_[Chihiro][XviD_MP3].avi
Kyou_no_Go_no_Ni_-_03_[Chihiro][XviD_MP3].avi
Today_in_Class_5-2_-_02_[OtherGroup][XviD_MP3].avi

It'll still sort wrong. If you seriously think you can get groups to have standard names across the board... good luck. We can't even decide on the same romanization for shows.
indeed. Another reason is that groups don't really give a crap about ppl who just grab whatever one they can get first thus having diff groups for diff epis. It isn't a concern. Honestly I think this is the most pointless debate there has even been as it has dick-squat to do with a fansub itself.
Old 2008-12-12, 15:02   Link #29
Kristen
*Author

Personally, I think it really just doesn't matter. I prefer the [GroupName]_Title_Episode_[Format][CRC].extension format because it is a bit easier to see the name of the show if it's the only thing that's not bracketed. If you lead with it, then it becomes harder to read quickly, because it is only distinguished by bracketed items on one side instead of both.

And besides, there are different naming conventions. Some do [H.264-AAC], some do [H.264], some do [1280x720-H.264], and some do [1280x720-H.264-AAC].

No need to consistacize everything. Some groups want to give more info, some don't. Some want name first, some don't.

Besides, if you don't categorize your animes into folders, then it is your own fault.
Old 2008-12-13, 01:47   Link #30
NicestBoat

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this before, but all of the your problems can be solved by using AniDB + a client, it will hash your file and rename it by your own chosen convention using YOUR template, and if i'm not mistaken, the default rename template is somewhat close to yours.

I haven't had to use this feat myself as I'm content with the most common naming scheme used in fansubs.
NicestBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 02:59   Link #31
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

The difference between Scene and fansubbers is that the former are a bunch of idiots who need rules forced upon them to ensure that they do everything right, while the latter are a bunch of idiots who could have rules forced upon them and still manage to screw everything up terribly.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 04:40   Link #32
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Nonsense. It's just not possible for fansubbers to screw up after having rules forced on them, simply because there's no possible way to force rules on them. This is what it's like:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 04:57   Link #33
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
bikeshed 10char
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 06:57   Link #34
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Nonsense. It's just not possible for fansubbers to screw up after having rules forced on them, simply because there's no possible way to force rules on them.
That's my point exactly: they will keep using H.264 and Vorbis in AVI no matter how much you tell them it's a bad idea.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 13:02   Link #35
DryFire
Panda Herder

We curb massive failures the good old fashion way; we ridicule them.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 14:18   Link #36
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Basically, if the group is consistent in its naming practice, it really shouldn't matter. And if you don't like how they name it, re-name it after you finish downloading it. Sounds like lots of work, but hey, you got for free.
Old 2008-12-14, 00:17   Link #37
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
as long it's got group name AND CRC (some groups seem to choose not including this ), I'm happy.

And if you need to uniformly rename your files just use anidb's tool (I belive the name is AniDB O'Matic). It can match and automatically rename based on pattern you decide.
Old 2008-12-14, 06:22   Link #38
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Basically, if the group is consistent in its naming practice, it really shouldn't matter. And if you don't like how they name it, re-name it after you finish downloading it. Sounds like lots of work, but hey, you got for free.
aye, people seem to think this is some kind of service that we will give a rats ass about getting feedback of this type on. Free service, please see the bottom of my foot when presenting complaints that have nothing to do with the translation, editing, subtitle legibility or timing.
Old 2008-12-14, 08:00   Link #39
tenkenX6
*Fansubber

Heh, I also agree that this subject is meaningless. It really shouldn't matter. Not like it's going to make the quality of the stuff subbed magically get better or worse.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 08:55   Link #40
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
As a former scanlator, I will attest that the scanlation community has taken a liking to the reverse scheme.

Also, calling the fansubbing community a "scene" seems a bit insulting. If we wanted to be a scene, we'd have to drop the whole srsbzns aspect of fansubbing and be reticent.