AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 5 9.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 18.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 18.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 14.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 7.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 7.27%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.82%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-22, 18:11   Link #21
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Fine. Bigger fire. Various poisons. (How can he use his power to move anyway? Redirecting gravity toward wherever he wants to go?)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 18:27   Link #22
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
I'll agree that the episode was bad because it was basically the same thing repeating it's self around three times, though the music was on top form so i'll let it go.

& that seemed like a waste for an insert song.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 18:35   Link #23
Ketro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
I liked this Mikoto arc, and that the next episode should be pretty interesting. I'm guessing they put an insert song since there was a side story for Mikoto, and just for the general sympathy for Mikoto.

(Dang, she's turning into a great tsundere )
Ketro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 18:36   Link #24
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Fine. Bigger fire. Various poisons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Their purpose was never to kill him, only to train him, and they seem to have accepted that role up to this point.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
(How can he use his power to move anyway? Redirecting gravity toward wherever he wants to go?)
Can't he just "accelerate" himself? I figured flight was a natural consequence of his power. Redirecting gravity would no doubt work, too.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 18:38   Link #25
Voitan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
Komoe-sensei's theory about the chocolate and cat was okay, it's just Touma that's uber annoying.
Toma's annoying because he wants to stop somebody he cares about from committing suicide... Riiiiiight, I'll remember that one.
Voitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 19:56   Link #26
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Fine. Bigger fire. Various poisons. (How can he use his power to move anyway? Redirecting gravity toward wherever he wants to go?)
Why would they even want to kill him? That's never been their goal.

Edit: Surely Touma will hax his way to victory, but the Sisters never intended to kill him in the first place so why would they bother coming up with a way to?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 20:53   Link #27
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Why would they even want to kill him? That's never been their goal.

Edit: Surely Touma will hax his way to victory, but the Sisters never intended to kill him in the first place so why would they bother coming up with a way to?
Yeah if they wanted to win they'd be going at this in a different fashion. Like a mass attack instead of 1 vs 1 matchups in which they would have absolutely no chance at survival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I wouldn't call it "bad", but it had 1-2 scenes which had me scratching my head.

1) Why for the love of god did they skip the flashback scene depicting Mikoto coincidentally walking in when Accelerator killed a clone of her? It would have added some color, and it would have underlined the torment she's undergoing.

2) I really disliked how they altered the Touma-Mikoto showdown, particularly the silly ending. They made it look like Mikoto was recoiling from Touma, scared to tears of the fact that he was still alive in the end, and that she seemed to accept having killed Touma fairly easily. Instead, at least in the manga (and I assume likewise in the novel), Touma regained consciousness while Mikoto held his head in her lap, crying. The author considered this scene key enough to even have an illustration added. Why the HELL did the director change it??

*sigh*
Ok not having that last scene is definitely a crime right there. I mean killing a scene like that is just wrong. Oh well guess that's what you end up getting some times.

Thought for a moment that I did see a flashback of Mikoto walking in on the scene. Though could easily be wrong on that. Either way it wasn't something that they made important note of so even if it was there for a second it doesn't really matter much.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 20:54   Link #28
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
This episode... wasn't very good.
Actually, it was bad. I have to agree with everyone else that nothing happened this episode. Some of the 'camera' angles made me wonder what in the world the director was thinking too....

Also, I don't know much about Schrodinger's Cat, but from what I do know about it, the explanation in the beginning sounded really... off. It might just be me though.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 21:54   Link #29
Doc Astaroth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Also, I don't know much about Schrodinger's Cat, but from what I do know about it, the explanation in the beginning sounded really... off. It might just be me though.
This explanation didn´t made really any sense! Schroedinger´s Cat is a thought experiment to show, why we can NOT simply use the Laws of the Quantum Mechanic on things like cats or other stuff.

Spoiler for Short description of the experiment:


Really, the explication of Tsukiyomi-sensei remind me more of a description of the "Marble Phantasmen"(Kuusou Gugenka and the "Reality Marble"(koyuu kekkai) from Nasu-verse... Changing the probality of reality according to one´s wishes, pulling always the white marble out of a sack with 99 black marbles...
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 21:55   Link #30
stillmissing
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Instead, at least in the manga (and I assume likewise in the novel), Touma regained consciousness while Mikoto held his head in her lap, crying. The author considered this scene key enough to even have an illustration added. Why the HELL did the director change it??
Ignoring the other problems and the pacing, (I guess they want to stretch the arc out to five episodes instead of four) I assume the scene of Touma waking up is simply in the next episode.

Yes, it should have been in this one, but since they dragged things out, the next episode will likely begin with it.
stillmissing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 22:00   Link #31
SMage
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I enjoyed the visuals of this episode, but the dialogue needs to go into a dark alley and shoot itself. From the very first episode this show has some of the clumsiest explanatory dialogue of any shounen action anime I've ever seen. There's a reason why even Naruto shortened the explanation of Chakara/abilities from the source material and added some nifty visual representations of what it's trying to explain. To Aru Majitsu no Index drags out what it's trying to explain to the very edges of human tolerance, and it wastes the animation budget on what is essentially neutral stimuli that has very little bearing on what's being discussed. I wish someone would go back and dub over certain scenes bunch of slapstick jokes since this makes more sense to me than a bunch of cute girls discussing "science."
SMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 22:11   Link #32
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Astaroth View Post
This explanation didn't made really any sense!
I wasn't very happy with it either, but this isn't the first time I've seen quantum observation as the explanation for powers. Anne McCaffrey's Talent books definitely used it to explain its psychic powers, for instance.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 01:04   Link #33
Bordix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
7. They should have finished the bridge scene in 1 go and yeah, I was annoyed at komoe's explanation about espers (probably because I didn't understand or, I was not willing to understand )
__________________
.
Bordix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 01:19   Link #34
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
that seemed like a waste for an insert song.
Yes, I suspect the director slid that in to divert our attention from the fact that little's happening onscreen (or at least lessen viewer boredom by giving them a new song to listen to). Sometimes there's no creative reason for the decisions they make.

This episode employed plenty of budget saving tricks often seen in live-action TV (perhaps they're preparing for a more elaborate episode later; nevertheless, it's certainly an inelegant way of managing time/budget). Seeing how good the character art turned out, episode construction was probably finished quite quickly, giving the artists enough time to polish it up.

Anyway, I found this to be reasonably enjoyable, even if the back-and-forth angst got annoying. IMO, a story doesn't necessarily have to progress every week.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 01:32   Link #35
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: House of Twilight
This episode isn't bad at all... considering how long it takes to make these damn things.
*Bad Parts - It's visually appealing, but it lacks a lot of things,plot unclear,lots of loose ends ect.
__________________
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 02:00   Link #36
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Can't he just "accelerate" himself? I figured flight was a natural consequence of his power. Redirecting gravity would no doubt work, too.
All he said about his power is that it lets him redirect forces affecting him. If that's accurate, it should be possible to cage him - there wouldn't be enough forces for him to work with and break the cage.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 04:04   Link #37
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
All he said about his power is that it lets him redirect forces affecting him. If that's accurate, it should be possible to cage him - there wouldn't be enough forces for him to work with and break the cage.
Bar -> go out. Cage = broken. It really depends on how much force he can give something, but his power is fundamentally broken. Well, I guess you're assuming that he to work with something that's already moving? I doubt that, given the opening animation and his title (Accelerator implies that he can accelerate things). Even if that is the case he could redirect the gravity of one bar and have it bend itself or whatever. Everything's constantly being affected by things like gravity and air pressure (normal force, etc).

As for the episode overall, I don't have any huge problems with it. Not the best ever, but I don't feel like they've failed to convey the story or anything like that. It's just another episode of Touma being Touma ("I don't have any better suggestions, but I'm going to hold firm and vaguely suicidal convictions about things I've barely heard about.") combined with a rather lengthy (but necessary) explanation of what the heck is going on. Cut out the explanation and it makes no sense at all. And if you can't stand Touma I'd recommend not watching this show.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 04:19   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I assume he can redirect forces touching him. His own gravity, for example, lets him accelerate at 9.8 m/s˛ in any direction. But the forces holding a metal bar together don't affect him so he can't do anything about them. He could push the bar and maybe double the force applied with his power (inverting Newton's action/reaction law), but no more. That shouldn't be enough. And neither would gravity be. Metal cages don't break apart under their own weight, no matter how your turn them, usually.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 04:44   Link #39
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
I just want to know who's brainfart it was to make an apparent psycho who seems to get off killing little girls into the most powerful esper ever. No that smooth plan won't come back to bit you in the butt
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 05:06   Link #40
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I assume he can redirect forces touching him. His own gravity, for example, lets him accelerate at 9.8 m/s˛ in any direction. But the forces holding a metal bar together don't affect him so he can't do anything about them. He could push the bar and maybe double the force applied with his power (inverting Newton's action/reaction law), but no more. That shouldn't be enough. And neither would gravity be. Metal cages don't break apart under their own weight, no matter how your turn them, usually.
I interpreted it as "redirect forces that he touches", ie: he can do it to anything, but it has a touch-based range limitation. Think about all the forces touching you right now. You've got gravity pulling you down, you've got your chair's electromagnetic field pushing you up, you've got the weight of the atmosphere pushing down on you and your body's electromagnetic field pushing it up. There's a tremendous amount of forces involved in sitting still. If he could redirect all of those (the atmospheric pressure is normally spread out, but he can focus it) he could easily achieve tons of force in any situation, and if he focuses that he could do a lot of damage.

If that was too generous an interpretation, he can just lift the cage up and let it fall to break itself. He can't be hurt by falling (or the broken cage crushing him) because of the nature of his power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
I just want to know who's brainfart it was to make an apparent psycho who seems to get off killing little girls into the most powerful esper ever. No that smooth plan won't come back to bit you in the butt
For science! I don't think they really care what he's doing, they just want to see what a level 6 is like. Incidentally, I'm kind of wondering if he went psycho because they're making him kill 10,000+ middle school girls. I think anyone would have a warped perspective on things by that point. Also, please don't spoil his backstory in response to this post.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.