AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 63 52.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 10.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-29, 05:32   Link #121
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Pfffft, no point in restricting it to high school ... I see far too much college or faux-adult drama that isn't any more sophisticated or mature. Actually I'm seeing too much of it right now with a few individuals in my real life :P Nothing like having a nice evening spoiled.
I have the deep, dark suspicion that not even nursing homes are free of drama. in fact, they're probably a breeding ground for it.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 05:55   Link #122
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
I love humanity.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 08:22   Link #123
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Jesus, they're kids. They're not going to be the most complex of people.

At least the people in this work feel a bit more like real teenagers than in most anime...
It'S not because than thy are kid, but because that they, as a fictionals characters, have a simplified personality and backgroung. You want complex peoples, stay with real life.
__________________

ganbaru is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 08:32   Link #124
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
It'S not because than thy are kid, but because that they, as a fictionals characters, have a simplified personality and backgroung. You want complex peoples, stay with real life.
It is true but sometimes fictional characters can be more complex (by the term of clearly expressed problems.)

I remember when I had to write a paper about Narcissism as a social/mental disease, I had troubles finding real examples that would be complex enough for me to fill rather big size requirements, so in the end I ended up writing about Asuka Sohryu Langley from Evangelion (of course changing things here and there) as a real person, and got the best mark from my course. I was at the time evaluated by two docents and one professor and they were totally convinced that I was writing about real person. Had nice laugh, and still do, remembering this.

Naturally, such characters are created very rarely and usually real people are more complex, but you shouldn't underestimate our fiction - it is a reflexion of reality and sometimes, pretty accurate.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 09:18   Link #125
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Naturally, such characters are created very rarely and usually real people are more complex, but you shouldn't underestimate our fiction - it is a reflexion of reality and sometimes, pretty accurate.
Don'T worry I am not underestimating fictionals characters. Some are really complex, but those have more developpent/background than average.
__________________

ganbaru is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 12:26   Link #126
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Love the season ender.... some observations:

1) They had it written so that if the ratings/sales hadn't panned out - they *could* have ended it right there. Good coverage of Plan B.
2) The Sumire/Kitamura moments were quite interesting in their own regard. I really enjoy it when Sumire is onscreen.
3) The episode was stuffed with 'half-confessions' in all directions

I rather hope posters who ganged up on Taiga for her behavior towards her father will now reflect on their quickness to *judgement*. That's a great deal of what the series is about -- don't be so rash to judge quickly.

Now we get a momentary breather before the second part of the series...
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 12:54   Link #127
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
1) They had it written so that if the ratings/sales hadn't panned out - they *could* have ended it right there. Good coverage of Plan B.
Hmmm? Besides the choice of music, I don't quite see how. If this was supposedly the end of the series, there's sure to be a clearer indication of the fates of the characters. Most probably reactions have been positive enough all along to rule out the choice of abruptly ending the series there.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 13:03   Link #128
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
It used to be quite common to end a series in just this sort of manner (somewhat ambiguous but the crisis is survived, the team of characters is upbeat and life goes on).
Kannagi essentially just ended in the same manner and it currently isn't scheduled for any more episodes.

I was simply remarking that IF the series hadn't done so well - that the end of ep 13 wasn't a bad place to leave the characters (and then everyone goes to read the novels/manga).
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 13:15   Link #129
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
I agree, the end of the cultural festival is a good deciding point for the anime since basically everyone is happy after that.

I'm ignorant to such ways of ending anime, thought the studio would want to make the conclusion solid enough to save a bit of face for themselves.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 13:23   Link #130
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I think we're going to be very happy there's another 13 episodes heading our way and quite possibly a real story conclusion of sorts. One of my high marks for Lovely*Complex, Honey&Clover, Mahoraba: Heartful Days, and REC was that they were complete stories (whether or not they followed their source material).
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 13:36   Link #131
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
I'm hoping for a deviation from the novel storyline, so we can expect a good surprise.

I'm not quite sure, has the novel reached a conclusion yet?
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 13:42   Link #132
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Nope it's still ongoing.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 15:38   Link #133
Voitan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I remember when I had to write a paper about Narcissism as a social/mental disease, I had troubles finding real examples that would be complex enough for me to fill rather big size requirements, so in the end I ended up writing about Asuka Sohryu Langley from Evangelion (of course changing things here and there) as a real person, and got the best mark from my course. I was at the time evaluated by two docents and one professor and they were totally convinced that I was writing about real person. Had nice laugh, and still do, remembering this.
What'd you patch in for her profession as Eva pilot and the association with NERV?
Voitan is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 15:56   Link #134
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I didn't patch her profession in as it was not needed. For a teen a part-time job does just fine and NERV being is not that important. The most important is the mean to prove her value which many things can substitute.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 17:08   Link #135
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
I'm hoping for a deviation from the novel storyline, so we can expect a good surprise.
Wait, you're asking JC Staff to deviate from a good story?

Oh no. No no no. They can't write. Don't let them. Just follow the original and it will be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
It'S not because than thy are kid, but because that they, as a fictionals characters, have a simplified personality and backgroung. You want complex peoples, stay with real life.
Most people I know in real life, myself included, are very simple, personality-wise...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 18:47   Link #136
EndlessDestiny
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: maryland
Send a message via AIM to EndlessDestiny Send a message via MSN to EndlessDestiny Send a message via Yahoo to EndlessDestiny
I was really surprised by Minori's comment that she might like women. Now I'm hoping that she does though. ^^
__________________
EndlessDestiny is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 18:54   Link #137
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Just caught up on the last four episodes up to 13, and loved them to bits.

You know, maybe it's just me, and maybe it's just because I marathoned Honey & Clover/Honey & Clover II over Christmas, but in these episodes I was finding Ryuji's voiceovers to be very Takemoto-esque.
Dop is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 18:55   Link #138
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Man, I need to watch H&C someday. Everyone here keeps talking it up.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 21:26   Link #139
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Oh no. No no no. They can't write. Don't let them. Just follow the original and it will be good.
Mari Okada has proven to be a pretty competent writer (studio means nothing in this regard because the quality of writing depends on who they've contracted for a project). The question is whether she can successfully write an extension to Toradora since it's someone else's incomplete vision.
rg4619 is offline  
Old 2008-12-29, 21:57   Link #140
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Or maybe they already have a plan in mind. Vol. 10 comes out before the show ends, after all.

See, the problem with anime-original endings is that they're anime-original, if that makes sense.

The original work was popular for a reason. Dicking around with the source material too much almost inevitably results in an inferior work.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.