AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-12-23, 06:15   Link #161
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Again, it took the better part of two or more years to even get from planning to the actual episode.
Old 2009-12-23, 09:31   Link #162
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm aware of that, and I'm not asking for the episode, but merely whether or not there has been any news.
Old 2009-12-23, 10:59   Link #163
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Nope no word in the community at all. Rumor on the Japanese side of things have it that ZUN vetoed any continuation via proxy, if you can believe it.

Your guess is as good as mine at this point.
Old 2009-12-23, 11:06   Link #164
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Nope no word in the community at all. Rumor on the Japanese side of things have it that ZUN vetoed any continuation via proxy, if you can believe it.

Your guess is as good as mine at this point.
ZUN was reportedly unhappy with Touhou being made into an anime (fears Touhou will become commercialized or something)

As far as I'm concerned, his word is good enough not to see this through.

Maikaze's music is much better than the anime anyway...
Old 2009-12-23, 11:24   Link #165
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmm, I can understand that concern somewhat. Once something becomes commercialized, companies will sink their claws in it. Once companies do that, the very essence of freedom that makes Touhou, Touhou will slowly vanish. Companies will lay down restrictions if they are making investments in a project, and copyright will slam the door for many of the projects out there, or at least drive them into obscurity.

Though considering he is allowing -and even encouraging- fanworks such as doujinshi, manga, AMV's and even games, to hear he is upset at a fanmade anime surprises me to say the least.

Assuming it is true (you'd expect news like this to be on the front page) it's a pity, I would have loved to see who the true culprit is, and why. As well as seeing and hearing more characters animated. Mai as Reimu was just <3
Old 2009-12-23, 11:42   Link #166
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Though considering he is allowing -and even encouraging- fanworks such as doujinshi, manga, AMV's and even games, to hear he is upset at a fanmade anime surprises me to say the least.

Assuming it is true (you'd expect news like this to be on the front page) it's a pity, I would have loved to see who the true culprit is, and why. As well as seeing and hearing more characters animated. Mai as Reimu was just <3
I don't think he was upset that there was a fanmade anime, but in that this particular fanmade anime was treating itself far more like a low budget OVA than anything fan made. Just look at the seiyuu list.

Like, I'm sure george lucas thinks that people making their own lightsaber battles and posting them on youtube is fine. But if you get 5 million dollars in investment and film a 30 minute sfx laden scene and attempt to sell it as "Star Wars the lost battles" or something lawyers will be called.

Zun is perfectly within his rights to step in and stop any group from doing anything too "large" with his IP. If they want to make an anime and sell it at the scale of which it was sold, they should negotiate the rights for it like any normal property.
Now I doubt that this was really due to money and was more likely a matter of wanting control over his universe.

From what I've seen of Zun's actual opinion, he's very wary of having any one anime/music/doujin overshadow his own games and official books and manga.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 11:46   Link #167
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Let's see... digging up what was posted on Sankaku, I found this:

“Also, word of the Touhou anime on which a certain circle is working on has reached me. As Touhou is game without voicing, the prospect of big name seiyuu voicing the characters and this being mistaken for an official arrangement worries me.”

“Certainly, as it’s a doujin project basically you can make anything, but if you make too big a splash I think it it’s troubling to me and the other circles. I’m especially concerned about the prospect of fans who are mainly into the anime becoming a class of Touhou fans who do not play the games, as it seems highly likely this will result in it being mistaken as official.”

“The same goes for other Touhou doujin works:

Make sure everyone who comes into possession of them realises they are fan made.

Don’t overstep the mark in promoting your works (especially by promoting to people who aren’t already familiar with Touhou).

Restrict distribution of your works.

If you heed these points, I believe we can avoid any confusion. I would like you to continue creating in that vein.”

It seems he's not so much worried about the anime itself, but that it might be taken as official. As long as they make sure everybody knows it's not official (which is easy, a big screen at the start telling everybody "THIS IS A FANWORK, IT IS NOT OFFICIAL!" will do) they're good to go.
Old 2009-12-23, 11:56   Link #168
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Given the status of the Touhou series as doujin games, I don't think there's even a copyright to contest, other than the universal acceptance that ZUN defines how Touhou is, and that some of his wishes are to be respected.

That said, this is a niche project from a niche fandom. It can still be considered an (ambitious, really) doujin work. With big-name VAs doing charity work, but STILL doujin work. If there's confusion about it being an 'official' representative of the series, then it's just easy to add to the title 'UNOFFICIAL'. Simple yes?

There's still no danger of it becoming mainstream outside of otaku circles. Yet. If the SSiB Tankobons -- or the Inaba comics -- get licensed, well...

OT: Ah, Tau and their Suits. Bane of my DIY's existence.
Old 2009-12-23, 12:09   Link #169
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

You'll especially hate my annoying tendency to roll sixes when taking potshots at tanks then.

Anyway, I'm not going to be jumping to conclusions regarding this until I hear official word. For now, I'll just keep sneaking around for new bits of info, patiently waiting for words about it.
Old 2009-12-23, 12:11   Link #170
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

It's a darned long wait though, even if the project is still pushing through. There's the budget issue for once. How MUCH did it cost, and did Maikaze ever recoup the money they used with the DVD purchases?
Old 2009-12-23, 12:16   Link #171
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Given the status of the Touhou series as doujin games, I don't think there's even a copyright to contest, other than the universal acceptance that ZUN defines how Touhou is, and that some of his wishes are to be respected.
Um, Touhou are "doujin games" only as a misuse of terminology. The touhou games and all the characters in them are entirely the unique creations of Zun and aren't derivative works of anything at all.

They are more correctly "independent games" and Zun as the creator under Japanese copyright law completely owns the rights to all the characters and stories in them, and could if he wished sue anyone from profiting off them at any extent.
He most definitely owns their copyright.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 12:28   Link #172
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Well if you wanted to be specific about it, then yes, the Touhou series are not doujin games in the literal sense.
Old 2009-12-23, 23:35   Link #173
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well it would be great to see more eps of Touhou or at less turned in to a full season I do so like Ran Yakumo
Old 2010-04-09, 03:15   Link #174
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

With this image that sprung up in the image thread, maybe this thread can get a little revival boost:

Old 2010-04-09, 03:20   Link #175
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

the character designs look quite promising in this poster........I am expecting it to be good

I am nobody, just a simple resource cabinet.....
MitsubishiZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 18:22   Link #176
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
As far as I know, his main concern is he doesn't want anyone to become Touhou fan without a bit knowledge about the game. Of course that's not always the case, since I know someone that has become Touhou's fan through the "Marisa stole precious thing" flash, but I also see people who claim they are Touhou fan without knowing where does Touhou come from, or what's it. He worries about that if it became anime, there will be a lot of ignorant people think the anime is original, and ZUN's game is "doujin game".

As you see, the doujin world can do whatever they want because, well, it's doujin. However, as soon as one of them appear on the "official" anime, people will believe it's official, and that's not what ZUN want, I believe.
I've became a Touhou fan and all I've read is the manga (Blue Sinner and Eastern Diety) oh and I also watched ---> This O-o

I've watched Touhou anime project on Youtube. The others I have downloaded have turned out to be subbed in spanish <.<

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 17:28   Link #177
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

More life from Maikaze, this time with a 'demo video.' It screams "episode 2 trailer."

Old 2011-01-22, 23:02   Link #178
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wow it looks good
Old 2012-07-30, 02:57   Link #179
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

New Episode 2 trailer! This one will be coming out at Comiket 82.
Old 2012-07-30, 07:27   Link #180
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Given the 4 year gap between this and episode 1, the SUPERSIZEME animation upgrade is a most pleasant, if unexpected surprise, almost as much as the fact that Episode 2 is being made at all. Jawesome

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote