AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-22, 03:52   Link #81
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Nice discussion. Just wait until we actually have more of the real story to discuss, lol.That is Genji leaving out all the important bits, lol. I just come back to the necessity of trying to see a narrative from another time in the context of its own time. If you don't, then it is impossible to see the characters as anything other than caricatures. You just can't understand them or their stories. I think they and their stories are worth knowing and taking seriously on their own terms.
Yeah, I didn't argue that. But the crux of the Genji story is that he's basically a manwhore of utmost political status and of his own personal moral barometer. The story of politico-romantic morality surrounding him is the meat of the story no doubt.

Also, Japan was and still is very much a misogynistic society in many ways. Same can be said for most cultures that has ever existed. And of course, when the idea of ancient celebrities and politicians are concerned, they obviously have way more power than the typical peon of the times. It's still the same today, isn't it? The politicians and those in power have call-girl issues, athletes swap women on a daily basis, etc. While most of everyday people either don't even have a consistent sexual life and even less swap partners as easily as the high level socialites of society.

All that said, I would argue that humanity, even in modern society has NEVER achieved social equality between genders. Females are still marginalized a bit in some aspects. It keeps getting better at least in America, but the ideal is still ways to go. Not that it's some problem that can be easily solved, because of the deep rooted social norms we have.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 01:06   Link #82
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

More great discussion, and many of the points made against mine I have to admit are just as reasonable, and certainly well-informed. I just hope people can enjoy the show.

And now we have a second episode, and I think I'm sold. I now realize more clearly that this is a complete retelling of the story, and not really an adaptation of the novel. So many scenes are added and changed, but so far they seem to me to clarify some of the relationships.
Spoiler for ep2:
The beauty of the look is still working for me. So is the beauty of the music. I even started enjoying the OP, realizing it had some depth to it, despite the oddness of the match with this show. I checked who wrote it: Shiina Ringo (YouTube), the outstanding pop/jazz writer/performer. Naruhodo. And I found myself liking the ED even more.

One indication of my enjoyment: I was surprised when we came to the end of the episode. I had no idea we were that far along.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-01-23 at 06:19.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 19:47   Link #83
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
More great discussion, and many of the points made against mine I have to admit are just as reasonable, and certainly well-informed. I just hope people can enjoy the show.

And now we have a second episode, and I think I'm sold. I now realize more clearly that this is a complete retelling of the story, and not really an adaptation of the novel. So many scenes are added and changed, but so far they seem to me to clarify some of the relationships.
Spoiler for ep2:
The beauty of the look is still working for me. So is the beauty of the music. I even started enjoying the OP, realizing it had some depth to it, despite the oddness of the match with this show. I checked who wrote it: Shiina Ringo (YouTube), the outstanding pop/jazz writer/performer. Naruhodo. And I found myself liking the ED even more.

One indication of my enjoyment: I was surprised when we came to the end of the episode. I had no idea we were that far along.
Watched the raws without waiting for subs, so much of the finer points of dialogue escaped me. However:

Spoiler for Thoughts on episode 2:
Old 2009-01-24, 16:18   Link #84
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

I didn't really get this ep. (Think I was watching it too early in the morning. ._.) I still like how it looks, but unfortunately I haven't reached enlightenment over liking the OP either. XD Ah well. Nonetheless, if you're after some screenshots of the ep...

I think I'll just watch the anime and enjoy it as it is for a bit.
Old 2009-01-24, 18:00   Link #85
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

It seems Genji was a terrible person... However, I am enjoying this anime due to wonderful art and music

Episode 2 Screenshots.
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 01:35   Link #86
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Kitsune View Post
It seems Genji was a terrible person....
If that is what the anime is conveying, then it isn't working. Genji was not seen as a terrible person by the author. He slept around, but that was not a great sin for an aristocrat of that time. And the author really never expresses any criticism of him in the novel, that I can recall.
Spoiler for ep2 Genji, his age, Aoi, etc.:
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-01-26 at 02:15.
Old 2009-01-30, 00:51   Link #87
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Watching ep3, I thought how perfectly Yugao was being played. Then I saw in the end credits that she was being played by Koshimizu Ami. I had never heard Ami, who is one of my favorite and most respected seiyuus, do that voice before. A voice goddess, for sure. That last "sore kara" was amazing.

Why she doesn't seem to be thought of as one of the very top seiyuus is beyond me. She has a huge range, comic talent, and the ability to sell deep emotion. That last is the biggest thing for me. Hoping not to be insulting, I might say that she also proves my observation that the best actors are not necessarily the smartest people around. Ami is a lovely person, but does not appear to be a rocket scientist.
Spoiler for ep3:
Discussion here and on the excellent Iwa ni Hana blog has convinced me to revise my opinion of how Genji is being portrayed. I still think he is not a "bad person." But there is no doubt that his bee-among-the-flowers romantic self-indulgence has negative results throughout his life. Nowhere in the book is he exactly criticized for his follies, but the results of them are shown.

More gorgeous animation and backgrounds. Fireflies. Stars. Water flowing at night. This is not a perfect show, but I await it eagerly every week.
Old 2009-01-30, 10:41   Link #88
LKK

Are episodes 2 and 3 as dialogue intensive as episode 1 was? If so, I'll have to wait for the subs despite my desire to see the show. Watching episode 1 raw was little more than looking a moving art book for me. (I didn't even realize at the time that I was watching a flashback or that the child was Genji.) Unfortunately, I don't have the spare hard drive space to spend on moving art books at the moment.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 16:07   Link #89
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Are episodes 2 and 3 as dialogue intensive as episode 1 was...?
I'm not sure "dialogue-heavy" coves it, but the story is being told so telegraphically that every scrap of info is necessary to understanding what is going on. And preferably intimate knowledge of the novel. A sub makes it at least somewhat easier to understand. I'm still struggling to be sure I can tell Fujitsubo from Rokujo from Aoi. But I'm loving every minute of my confusion.
Old 2009-01-30, 17:51   Link #90
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.

It's kind of a shame - not least since I started the thread in the first place - but I kind of feel that the show is starting to slip away from me.

I really don't feel comfortable watching the raws, yet without subs in avi format (or online) I'm not able to keep up all that well (I've only seen the first ep, still)...

...to say nothing of the sense of disillusionment I've been steadily feeling build up the more the source material is being discussed.

(I wanted to make a point of not reading the novel before I watched this, so I could encounter the story from this perspective first - but I guess I can't help but get sucked in by spoilers and arguments over certain issues.)

So, right now, I'm at a bit of a loss...
Old 2009-01-30, 20:19   Link #91
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Nerroth: I'm sorry to hear that! Maybe take a break from this board and catch up later?

Personally, I'm probably one of the few who can't get the book. -wry- What little I've read doesn't seem very much like the anime to me, but I'd only just about started on it.

I don't have trouble telling people apart...Rokujou is the one who looks psycho, Fujitsubo is the pretty one. ^^ Haha! Aoi -- haven't really seen Aoi much...we'll see.
Old 2009-01-30, 20:47   Link #92
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.

Well, if I took a break from AS, I'd miss all the Gundam goodness, so...
Old 2009-01-30, 21:06   Link #93
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Haha, I meant just this thread in particular. XD I found Genji somewhat hard to understand at times even with (admittedly, Chinese, which I'm a bit rusty at) subs -- was watching it late at night once and nothing went in at all. ._.
Old 2009-01-30, 21:10   Link #94
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.

I see - but I wonder, if the two were merged, would it be Gendam, or Gunji?

The adventures of the celestial being, indeed...
Old 2009-02-01, 16:36   Link #95
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Quote:
If that is what the anime is conveying, then it isn't working. Genji was not seen as a terrible person by the author. He slept around, but that was not a great sin for an aristocrat of that time. And the author really never expresses any criticism of him in the novel, that I can recall.
Spoiler for ep2 Genji, his age, Aoi, etc.:
Well, my impression of Genji is based on some events from the novel that people mentioned in this thread. I don't think that anime portrays Genji in a very negative light. I'll form my final opinion after I read the novel myself.

Spoiler:

Episode 3 Screenshots. It was a sad episode

This woman means serious business! :P

Spoiler:
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 10:14   Link #96
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Thanks a lot for the novel and maybe anime spoiler, stormy001_M1A2.
No problems!

Can always read the novel. So no more spoiler!
Old 2009-02-02, 10:58   Link #97
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
No problems!

Can always read the novel. So no more spoiler!
It's sarcasm. No spoilers from the novel in the anime thread please.
Old 2009-02-02, 11:13   Link #98
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Dude, u can even get it free text version online. Just read them.
Old 2009-02-02, 12:46   Link #99
glyph

Spoiler for Episode 3:
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 14:39   Link #100
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Spoiler for Episode 3:
Yes.
Spoiler for ep3:

Tags
noitamina