AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-02-06, 14:57   Link #101
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

A discussion about the Tale of Genji aired on National Public Radio's On Point this morning. The guests were a professor of Japanese Literature and Asian Studies at Pomona College, and a "novelist and cultural anthropologist" from Berkeley who has written an historical novel about the life of Murasaki Shikibu. You can listen to the program by following that link.

Boy, I sure wish I could watch another episode or two of Genji with fansubs so I could rejoin the discussion here. I generally avoid threads when the subs lag behind the releases to avoid spoilage. Plus it's hard to contribute when you're behind the raw watchers. I'll drop by again when another sub appears.
Old 2009-02-06, 15:00   Link #102
lixuelai

There is not much to spoil for Genji. Most people who is watching it probably knows the story already. I suggest reading the book
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 15:04   Link #103
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have been reading the book, but my sense is that the anime has its own trajectory.

I also doubt that "most people" watching it outside Japan know the story already.
Old 2009-02-07, 15:29   Link #104
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Episode 4 Screenshots.

Beautiful episode, terrible events...
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 19:56   Link #105
lixuelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I have been reading the book, but my sense is that the anime has its own trajectory.

I also doubt that "most people" watching it outside Japan know the story already.
I don't know about you but during high school it was a tiny part of the world history curriculum at my school. The teacher basically gave a quick synopsis and said it is the oldest novel and moved on. Anyway Genji boils down not to the story (which frankly is not much) but to the poetry and general mood throughout the book.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 15:02   Link #106
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
I don't know about you but during high school it was a tiny part of the world history curriculum at my school. The teacher basically gave a quick synopsis and said it is the oldest novel and moved on. Anyway Genji boils down not to the story (which frankly is not much) but to the poetry and general mood throughout the book.
You had a good high school. I disagree about the story, but it is certainly not a normal neat novel plot. Episodic, but the episodes all contribute to an overall trajectory. Knowing the story beforehand isn't hampering my enjoyment, anyway.

Episode four makes it clear that they are telling the same story as the novel, but changing some of the scenes and even the events. Making things a bit more direct and clear, it seems to me. I'm not complaining, That's probably necessary for this short anime retelling.

For instance, I thought they did the events of ep4 extremely well.
Spoiler for ep4:
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 16:36   Link #107
achirist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
Genji boils down not to the story (which frankly is not much) but to the poetry and general mood throughout the book.
I agree, and that is what drew me in - the beauty, sensitivity, and ambience of the story - not the plot so much (and as a side note, I absolutely hate the second part of the book, the 'Ujai'? chapters that follow post-genji characters, and I beleive it wasn't written by the same person.)

But sigh, I have nothing to say about these weeks of episodes because there is no translation.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 17:26   Link #108
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
I agree, and that is what drew me in - the beauty, sensitivity, and ambience of the story - not the plot so much (and as a side note, I absolutely hate the second part of the book, the 'Ujai'? chapters that follow post-genji characters, and I believe it wasn't written by the same person.)....
I agree about "beauty, sensitivity, and ambience." And I agree that the Uji chapters (the final ten) were probably not written by the same person (possibly by her daughter), but they are the chapters I love the most, personally, even though Genji does not appear in them at all. They are like a separate little novel, with its own romantic, psychological, and religious themes, and a somewhat tighter plot than the main part of the novel.

Uji 宇治 is a town a few miles south of Kyoto. There is a famous bridge over the Uji River there. There is also a famous old water-control system. And some Fujiwaras had a country estate there, and built one of the most beautiful little buildings in the world, the Byoodoo-in.

For anyone who is interested, this is a good site about the novel and its world.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-14, 12:04   Link #109
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I know it's generally bad form to bitch about subs, but really, are we ever going to see any more episodes of Genji? My earlier optimism about how all Noitamina shows eventually get fansubbed is beginning to fade. We got off to a good start with two excellent versions of episode one, but it's been over a month since either was released.

I'm used to watching less-popular series that often have extended delays so I haven't given up hope. Still if someone has a release of episode two in the works, I'd love to hear about it, even if we may not see the final product for some while yet.
Old 2009-02-17, 03:11   Link #111
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

SeijiSensei I can't speak for anyone else but we are still working on Genji, slowly. I've been caught up with a lot of work recently so haven't been able to coach things along but we do have 2 eps translated and we're working on all the various bits and pieces - just might take a while to release as checking may take a little while to get started.
Old 2009-02-17, 09:20   Link #112
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That's great news, Grv! Good luck balancing all these projects when a certain kitty reappears on the scene in April. Not to mention real life!

As I said, take your time; we'll be waiting.
Old 2009-02-20, 16:36   Link #113
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Ep. 6.

Spoiler for Oborozukiyo's line, barely a spoiler out of context, but better be safe, I guess:

Love that line, both its delivery and its social commentary. At first I didn't get where she was going with this long repetition, but when she finished the phrase, it was beautiful. (Indeed, someone with such attitudes would have been rumored to be a "shou-shou kawatta kata". )

Competes pretty well with Yuugao's "sore kara", and Fujitsubo's redefinition of "ikemasen"*, I think.

Spoiler for * (ep 5, and the end of 4):

BTW, Kaoru Chujo, nice to read your always insightful commentary in a situation where the nature of the subject doesn't compel me to object to it. Been thinking about helping you give this thread the "Simoun boost", but somehow I'm very posting-averse these days...

Last edited by yononaka; 2009-02-20 at 16:47. Reason: spoiler protection
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 19:14   Link #115
Dop
We can't stop here...

Grv: That's fantastic news, thanks. I've loved what I've seen of this and feared it might never get subbed. But if someone is working on it then I don't mind waiting.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 21:03   Link #116
archivisth

You can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Grv: That's fantastic news, thanks. I've loved what I've seen of this and feared it might never get subbed. But if someone is working on it then I don't mind waiting.
Yoroshiku could really use a translation checker, because of the formality of the Japanese in the episodes.
archivisth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 15:44   Link #117
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Thanks for using spoiler tags. I didn't read the novel, my only knowledge of this story is through the manga Gekka no Kimi (which I really like).

The artwork is lovely, the animation is great (loved the backgrounds) and the music is definitely something to look forward to the OST. I'm totally hyped about this series!

I hope it's still being subbed.
Old 2009-03-14, 08:05   Link #118
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Thank you, Live-eviL!

I admit it took me a bit of time to get used to the subtitle font, but that only lasted a few moments. Looking forward to episode two!
Old 2009-03-14, 08:14   Link #119
Dop
We can't stop here...

Quote:
Thank you, Live-eviL!
Seconded! Oh yes.

I did like the way the translator(s) used an old-fashioned formal kind of phrasing in the translation, that really fitted, I think.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 08:16   Link #120
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Thank you, Live-eviL!
Another thank you Live-Evil from me. I can't wait to progress with this series thanks to your help.

Tags
noitamina