AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2008-09-01, 15:12   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Limiting the image file size posted

Oh crap... I am so annoyed. Can't we just limit the size of the file that ppl use in the posts? Lot's of ppl doesn't seem to restrain themselves in posting huge files. Just as an example, Wagaya no Oinari-sama thread (not talking about some in pic only threads).

Not that I have a crappy connection but I do have a limit of 6GB of transfers per month.
Old 2008-09-01, 15:16   Link #2
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
We usually try to limit pictures and gif below 1MB and/or below 800*800, it depends of the moderator appreciation of that. That said, it is of course an issue we are aware of.
Obviously, we encourage the use of thumbnails and we try to remove abusively large pictures, though you can't expect all occurances to be taken care of all the time.

Whenever such thing happens, please report the post, and we will see about that. I'm taking a look in the wagaya thread.

EDIT: I guess you were talking about that post with 2 gif, respectively 3 and 7MB right? It has been taken care of.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-09-01 at 15:30.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 15:36   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

Thx. If there are no limits set, ppl will keep doing the same over and over. I like how avatar and sig are set.
Old 2008-09-01, 15:41   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Can't we just limit the size of the file that ppl use in the posts?
Apart from turning off the IMG tag function I don't think there is anything that can be done easily.

I would imagine it is possible (after all nearly anything is possible) but it would require a lot of work creating plug-ins and such like. In practical terms it isn't realistic to do this I suspect.

As mentioned, all we can do is request that any post that contains huge arse images are reported. We can deleted them or change the IMG tag to URL tags. "Hiding" such images in spoiler tags is mostly pointless since a lot of browsers still download the entire image even if the spoiler is never opened.

Av and sig limits can only be set because the image is actually stored on the AnimeSuki forum server. Images that use the IMG tag are not stored on our servers so we have very little control over them.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 15:57   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Apart from turning off the IMG tag function I don't think there is anything that can be done easily.
How about over-sized images just be banned. Not saying post everything as a thumbnail, but over a certain size (dimension not KB) or if a post contains a certain number of images it sure as damn better be tumbnailed.

I understand that it would just suffer the same defisiency as signatures; no physical-automated method to implement it but having the ability to report it based as a rule violation would be nice. And definetly less trouble then being plagued by them.

Some reasons:
  • I can't see the full image if it's in a spoiler tag and the size of the moon; imagehost usually allow you to see a fit-to-screen sized image and the large full-sized version. It's just so much better. Considering most offer free registration and a gallery feature all the more reason.

• If it's not even placed in a spoiler, I have to scroll down. As well as enjoy the new bottom scroll bars of hell.
    It's not a problem you think?! try click scrolling and drifting in the process to the right; annoying isn't it.

• Placing it in a spoiler only saves actual KB in bandwith for Opera users. And because there's no clear indication of a image, what it saves is just wasted later; the overall badwith being used being probably the same regardless of browser.
    Nothing more then slwoing the forum down and the imagehosts as well.

As a Opera user (I don't have any monthly bandwith cap) I can't see how placing it in a sploiler helps me any.
    It's just bugging me with loading time later. I'd prefer it if they were never used to begin with.

• Forums weren't made to display images, although using just thumbnails or reasonably sized ones they work just fine,
    ...anything that's more then 70% of the post is too damn much; take it somewhere else please.

• As far as longitivity, congratulations your damn image will become a broken link in a few days because even the people that don't want to see it are hogging bandwith from it.

• Tumbnails are usually the same size, placing them together gives a nice gallery effect and you can just have one next to the other with little hassle; having a crap load of full sized images one under the other is just as bad as one big one and wastes a hole lot of space with little purpose; if any purpose.

I can never be sure so I'll just ask...
Is there anybody who would have anything to loose from limiting image size like that?
Old 2008-09-01, 16:28   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
How about over-sized images just be banned.

...but having the ability to report it based as a rule violation would be nice. And definetly less trouble then being plagued by them.
Well, if you did actually read the forum rules you would see we already have this in place.

Quote:
2.4 Do not make image heavy posts
This is a discussion forum not an image board; posts must contain more than just images or links to images. In addition, please do not make posts with large images unless it's specifically applicable to the thread in question. If you want to include screenshots, wallpapers, art and so forth, please link them by means of the URL tag. Small thumbnails, which link to the larger images, are an acceptable alternative.
Please Note: "Hiding" images in spoiler tags does NOT save on bandwidth. Even if the spoiler is never opened the entire image is downloaded every time the post is displayed. Please only post large images in this way when they are specifically applicable to the thread in question, and the image would distort the page layout if it were not inside the spoiler tag.
Old 2008-09-01, 16:52   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Um, I read that as...

"You can post large images or a lot of images if you add some content to the post besides the images." (reverse the word order on the fist sentence)

While the seccond part of the fist paragraph certainly forbids them, it adds that exception which more or less says it's ok to do as you like if it's in a thread where you're suppose to place images. So the hole rule outlaws images in threads that aren't meant to hold images at all; but completly allows any behaviour in other threads.

Series discussion threads are, if I'm not mistaken, where we should make avatar request, post wallpapers, fan art etc if the series doesn't have a forum of it's own. The post your desktop thread, photography etc etc also fall in the category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Just as an example, Wagaya no Oinari-sama thread (not talking about some in pic only threads).
Like Tiberium Wolf I see the problem in those threads protected under the exception rather then the others. And to be honest; even in a dedicated image thread posting like that is stupid! even on imageboards you don't see it done like that. Considering how easy it is (and imagehosts make it) to use thumbnails instead of the direct link to the image the people doing it are just damn lazy.
Old 2008-09-01, 16:58   Link #8
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Just use thumb nails.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 17:00   Link #9
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Um, I read that as...
Well, the problem I see here is that your command of English isn't as good as I hoped.

Quote:
This is a discussion forum not an image board; posts must contain more than just images or links to images.

In addition,

please do not make posts with large images unless it's specifically applicable to the thread in question.
The last sentence applies to all threads (unless it is a thread specifically for big-arsed images), that is why it says "In addition".

I repeat
Quote:
As mentioned, all we can do is request that any post that contains huge arse images are reported. We can deleted them or change the IMG tag to URL tags. "Hiding" such images in spoiler tags is mostly pointless since a lot of browsers still download the entire image even if the spoiler is never opened.
Old 2008-09-01, 17:34   Link #10
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Quote:
How about over-sized images just be banned. Not saying post everything as a thumbnail, but over a certain size (dimension not KB) or if a post contains a certain number of images it sure as damn better be tumbnailed.

I understand that it would just suffer the same defisiency as signatures; no physical-automated method to implement it but having the ability to report it based as a rule violation would be nice. And definetly less trouble then being plagued by them.
From what I can see AnimeSuki has enough rules already. The above suggestion seems to me to be more instruction creep, and seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

Quote:
I can't see the full image if it's in a spoiler tag and the size of the moon; imagehost usually allow you to see a fit-to-screen sized image and the large full-sized version. It's just so much better. Considering most offer free registration and a gallery feature all the more reason.
What if the image depicts a scene which a major turning point in the content in question?

Quote:
If it's not even placed in a spoiler, I have to scroll down. As well as enjoy the new bottom scroll bars of hell.
It's not a problem you think?! try click scrolling and drifting in the process to the right; annoying isn't it.
The forum also uses the tag for "questionable" images (pantyshots, some swimsuits), which may not be suitable for viewing in some work environments, because there is no "Ecchi tag".

Quote:
Forums weren't made to display images, although using just thumbnails or reasonably sized ones they work just fine,
...anything that's more then 70% of the post is too damn much; take it somewhere else please.
So from what I understand by your statement there, is that if it has too much images in a specific post, then it is automatically useless to the forum?

Quote:
As far as longitivity, congratulations your damn image will become a broken link in a few days because even the people that don't want to see it are hogging bandwith from it.
Coudn't a user just create more than one photobucket (or whatever) accounts? That's what I do.

Quote:
Tumbnails are usually the same size, placing them together gives a nice gallery effect and you can just have one next to the other with little hassle; having a crap load of full sized images one under the other is just as bad as one big one and wastes a hole lot of space with little purpose; if any purpose.
I do have to agree with you there. I always try to use thumbnails when posting images to a thread, except when it wouldn't make much of a difference (Avatars).

Quote:
Well, if you did actually read the forum rules you would see we already have this in place.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Image heavy posts", doesn't apply to threads specifically designed for images. Such as the "Nanoha image thead".

Sorry if the above seems kinda odd blunt. I have nothing personal against "Cats".

Thank for help with signature Evil Rick.

Last edited by Vivio Testarossa; 2008-09-01 at 17:37. Reason: Sorry
Vivio Testarossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 18:24   Link #11
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I also think that we don't need another rule about images. The problem I ever see are animated GIFs > 1 MB, and those should just be reported. There is an option to uncheck Show Images in User CP Options, which would not show anything in the [img][/img] tags. Of course, this can be inconvenient, but it's a solution if all you want to do is browse AS without pictures. Note that avatars and signatures will still show if you decide to uncheck this option.

Also, I don't see why the rules should apply to image-only threads. The purpose of them is to post images, which includes large animated GIFs that will be on-topic. Dial-up users and the like should use common sense to avoid those threads.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 23:11   Link #12
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

I think there should just be a more general awareness on how to post thumbnails and/or just request users in the image threads to use certain upload websites that automatically does thumbnails. I understand that is very hard to enforce with all these users posting images and the image flow, but from what I see now the users who don't utilize the thumbnail feature mostly are unaware of how to use such a feature.

Just my two cents.
Old 2008-09-02, 00:38   Link #13
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Users should be informed that they should refrain from posting images as a whole and start using thumbnails instead. Many of the image hosting site offer a use of thumbnails if they just search. The problem with most users is, that they don't bother to read and thus failed to see where the "Generate thumbnail" code is located. To name some image sites that offer this kind of efficiency are; Photobucket.com, Imageshack.us, Imagehost.org and xs.to.

Status Quo: MIA
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 03:41   Link #14
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
The last sentence applies to all threads (unless it is a thread specifically for big-arsed images), that is why it says "In addition".
That's really the point. Even if it's a thread dedicated to images like that, something like Catgirls's Oversized Gif or the Post your Desktop thread, there's really no reason to directly post those images on the forum when they can always be easily thumbnailed (if nothing else). It's just a very bad practice that should be frown upon and stomped.

Like I said earlier I haven't seen a dedicated image board where you have the full sized images display one after the other; why should our modest image threads be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivio Testarossa View Post
From what I can see AnimeSuki has enough rules already. The above suggestion seems to me to be more instruction creep, and seems to be a solution in search of a problem.
Since we already have a set of rules applying it wouldn't mean adding to the rules but replacing or re-phrasing parts of them.

Quote:
What if the image depicts a scene which a major turning point in the content in question?
Quote:
The forum also uses the tag for "questionable" images (pantyshots, some swimsuits), which may not be suitable for viewing in some work environments, because there is no "Ecchi tag".
Those would be proper uses for the spoiler tag. Some people use spoilers simply because they have a 4000 x 4000 wallpaper and they want to show us how big it is. Of course nobody can tell what it's about since it's so damn big I would have to use my browsers integrated scalling system to see it all. (not pleasent)

Quote:
So from what I understand by your statement there, is that if it has too much images in a specific post, then it is automatically useless to the forum?
"Useless" would be saying too much. I'm thinking of posts where people post 7 or more 800 x 800 or larger images one under the other.
Because I want see the posible images that might exist under that huge post (7 x 800 = 5600px) I have to scroll a mile down; as far as size, both dimension and KBs, it's basicly the same thing as one big one.

Quote:
Coudn't a user just create more than one photobucket (or whatever) accounts? That's what I do.
Photobucket has more stingy size limits both in dimension, total size and bandwith. I thought bandwith was a per image limit; but if you say it's for every account I'll believe you. Among other things photobucket doesn't do thumbnails very well. I think you can somehow steal the thumbnail image generated for your album but that's really a lot of work.

Then there are the simple usability issues.

To upload more then one image in Photobucket....
  • Create a free account...
  • Select the number of upload slots to be 32 (or wathever the maximum is now)
  • Click Browse, select a file, click Ok
  • Chose the next field and repeat the above step... (over and over again)
  • Once they've been uploaded you will have them in your album.
  • You now really only have the option of going to each one and copy-paste the direct link code.
    Good luck in posting them here as thumbnails.
To upload more then one image in Imageshack....
  • Create a free account...
  • Select the multi-upload tab.
  • Click browse and select as many images as you want (you can shift click)
    I try to keep them in roughly stacks of 100 but you can select 300, 400, or your entire hard drive for what it's worth.
  • Go to your gallery and select the images you just uploaded.
    If you had a lot just add a tag when you upload them, and filter afterwards.
    Among the options for selection you have the easy to use Select All option.
  • Click the button on the right to get the codes; among which you have the compilation of all the thumbnail codes for all the images you selected.

(I won't lie, I hate Photobucket. If there's a easier way now to do it, please correct me)
Old 2008-09-02, 04:04   Link #15
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

There is. Select all the images you want to turn into thumbnails by clicking the check boxes, and then at the bottom of the page there's a link called generate html and img code. It will turn all your selected images into various links, and one of the boxes will contain all of your images in thumbnailed mode. Just click the box, it'll copy them all, and past them on the forums. Voila!

As for Photobucket limits, yeah they are small compared to other sites. But more than enough for most image hosting people need honestly. Here's the exact numbers:

For Free accounts, the limits are:

* Images - 1MB each or 1024x768 resolution
* Slideshows - Up to 50 images per slideshow (some slideshows vary)
* Videos - 5 minutes playing time, 100 MB file size.

For Pro accounts, the limits are:

* Images - 5MB each or 2240x1680 resolution
* Slideshows - Up to 100 images per slideshow (some slideshows vary)
* Videos - 10 minutes playing time, 100 MB file size.

Edit: Wanted to mention that Photobucket and other image hosting sites are vulnerable to programs that are designed to mass rip full files from thumbnails. But the programs can't access any files you haven't posted somewhere outside of your account, unless you leave your account public.

Last edited by Solace; 2008-09-02 at 04:18.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 15:01   Link #16
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Edit: Wanted to mention that Photobucket and other image hosting sites are vulnerable to programs that are designed to mass rip full files from thumbnails. But the programs can't access any files you haven't posted somewhere outside of your account, unless you leave your account public.
By "ripping programs" do you mean like software such as DownThemAll and similar products?

Old 2008-09-02, 15:58   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Yes. Download managers that are designed for mass "point and queue". They're rather popular for pulling large files in multiparts from sites like Rapidshare. But they also work rather well for other various site rip stuff too like images.
Old 2008-09-03, 15:05   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is mostly a problem in the single threaded topics (like Wagaya no Oinari-sama) though occasionally someone blows up an image thread (like Negima's) with multi-megabyte pics inline.

I find it kind of bizarre because it was harder for me to figure out how to inline pics than to thumbnail them from image servers but its usually a "n00b" that does this.

It would be nice (and nice to the AS server) to put some maximum file size limit on any image, but I suspect it'd be easier to write a file crawler that continuously seeks out and resizes image files than to convince the cantankerous forum software to do it automagically.

Ban them all as witches
Old 2008-09-03, 18:29   Link #19
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It would be nice (and nice to the AS server) to put some maximum file size limit on any image, but I suspect it'd be easier to write a file crawler that continuously seeks out and resizes image files than to convince the cantankerous forum software to do it automagically.

Ban them all as witches
No, it wouldn't be that much easier on AnimeSuki... in order to " resizes image files" a it would require either:
  • Write access to the Photobucket/Imageshack/etc. account
  • Storing of the image files on AnimeSuki server

In the first case, that presents a security risk to image hosting service (thus won't be done). And the second case, it could exponentially increase the amount of data that AnimeSuki is required to process/store.

In addition the "bot" would basically constantly recheck each file to ensure compliance (A new file could have been uploaded since it was previously checked which is noncompliant). Given the number of images "linked" to via various threads, this could create tons of overhead on the server (resulting in high downtimes) and other services... and if that got bad enough the image hosting services could decide to "ban" AS from seeing any hosted images whatsoever... In other words it isn't worth it.

Old 2008-09-03, 21:20   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Then I misunderstood the problem .... my experience with inline images here is that they are often embedded in the post itself, not linked from off-site. My previous post was made on that assumption that we were discussing on-server image files.