AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2010-03-31, 10:51   Link #1
RedSwirl

Getting AVIs on a PS3

I am aware that some, but not all AVIs will play on a PS3 depending on the codec used for it and other details. I've already gone through how to get MKVs to work on the system, but what about AVIs with incompatible codecs.

Example: Eden of the East Movie I King of Eden.

I got the AVI version which according to the release notes is in x264 (but media player classic says its h264), but that's all I can tell about it in terms of format. I can't even tell if its hard or soft-subbed.
RedSwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 12:28   Link #2
sneaker

x264 is an implementation of h264, so both the release notes and mpc are correct.

If you already know how to get MKVs working, the easiest way would be to just remux the avi to mkv using mkvtoolnix. Just open mkvmergegui, drag&drop the avi and click mux.

A tad' more complicated would be to reencode the audio to aac and mux the video and the new audio into an mp4 container, which in turn can be played "directly" on the Playstation 3.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 12:42   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Hmm, MKVs won't play on PS3 unless you're using Linux (in that case, don't do any firmware upgrades from now on!) or a media server.

h264 in AVI has been described of a bit of a "hack" - most open source players will probably play it, but the PS3 (nor Xbox 360 etc) don't, even though MP4 (which they do play) also contains h264 video.

x264 is a h264 encoder btw, not a codec/video format.

Anyway, if you really want to play it on PS3, I'd recommend using some tool to convert it over to MP4 for greatest compatibility.

But the easiest thing would be to hook up any PC or laptop to your TV and play it straight from it - you'll get the best video quality and playback compatibility.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 12:53   Link #4
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Best thing since sliced bread: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Go with the beta version, it has a lot more features and fixes but not that many bugs. Be sure to read this first http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=6&t=3507. You may have to toy around with the settings at first, but once you get it, you're good to go.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 16:40   Link #5
RedSwirl

Will media server stream a video that's in 1080p and is over 2GB?

If that doesn't work, then bringing it over to MKV and going through the usual process with that seems like the best answer I have available to me right now.
Old 2010-03-31, 17:32   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

It sure it does, however the quality and such is dependent upon your system and connection.
Old 2010-04-01, 22:56   Link #7
RedSwirl

PS3 Media Server didn't work. See my other thread.
Old 2010-04-02, 09:45   Link #8
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

This pertains to the PS3...so let's talk about it here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSwirl View Post
As I feared, my wireless network couldn't really handle streaming and transcoding videos over PS3 media server.

I tried an episode of Durarara in 720p and it couldn't keep playing for any more than a second at a time. Plus, I got the same problem I had with mkv2vob: the styling on the subtitles was lost.

I don't get it. I struck gold once with Videora's PS3 converter. I still have two perfectly converted 1080p episodes of Michiko to Hatchin. They play on my PS3 with little to no quality loss AND soft subs that looked exactly like the subbers had originally styled them.

Anything more I try to convert through the same process however won't read at all on the PS3.
Did you change the quality settings and all? Do you have a wireless-g router? If you do, then there is plenty of bandwidth for a 720p video. It's when you want to do 1080 that it gets choppy.

Read: http://otmanix.de/english/2009/05/13...-introduction/