AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-17, 12:04   Link #321
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post

I guess it was only a matter of time before 9/11 was mentioned in this.
Yea that bit was alittle unexpected...Maybe I've just gotten used to Anime=Fantasy too much, but I defiantly cocked my head abit at that reference...In a good way though.

The show really has a lot going on but I never really felt lost yet just genuinely intrigued. So far they've developed a cute little romance story right alongside a variety of mysteries...Who exactly is this organization that comes off as some "Genie in the lamp" that I'll do anything for a price...Does the fact that it does come at a price mean that the ones that can command this power aren't necessarily part of the same organization that carries the orders out? Or is it set like that to limit the impact on society...

And then theres the question of the state of the world...How could noone have died in these missile attacks up until now seeing how big the craters are...Did the ones in the plane only die because they accidentally flew in one of their flight paths or was it planned? Why would a plane even be flying if these attacks only happen on Monday...why do they only happen on Monday? How could the Japanese government not know their origin? Its not like Joe-schmo guerrilla terrorist can launch ballistic rockets ya know it does take a certain degree of setup...Or they do know and are they just keeping it a secret from the public?

And ofcourse how does this all come back around to involve are mystery man...

Honestly so far I think it's all come together nicely in a very intriguing package with some fun characters. Especially interested to see what pans out with the Detective...I love seemingly amoral characters like him.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 12:08   Link #322
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

They mention that two children survive the plane getting shot down, what instantly came to my mind was that the survivors of these accidents may become the Selected.
How could no one have died in the first Careless Monday? The craters shown look to be the better part of a kilometer across...

qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 12:18   Link #323
suka-pon-tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Most people have said Morita from H&C (which I just might watch now after hearing so much good word on it) :P But now that you mention it, he does sorta look like Laughing Man grown up.
Not just how he looks. He even had S&W M36 revolver, same gun as Laughing man and Mark D Chapman used.

Spoiler for note:
suka-pon-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 12:24   Link #324
Clarste
Human

Somehow I get the feeling that Akira's behind the missile attacks. Part of some bizarre plan that's not supposed to kill anyone (presumably that involves bribing people to leave the area beforehand). The one that hit the plane would be a copycat missile by another one of these guys in order to assassinate someone, or something like that. Just random speculation.

Based on "Noblesse Oblige" and the corrupt cop's mention of "not helping the country," it seems like the people who have this money are given tons of money and absolute freedom on how to use it, but are supposed to be using it to help people or the country (world?) in general. Noblesse Oblige indeed. "Get around the red tape and do what must be done," or something like that. However, some of them abuse it, because clearly having that much money and the ability to efficiently use it on anything legal or otherwise is easily abused. As to who's giving them the money... well I don't think we have any clues yet.

I like the pacing so far. Both the mystery and the more lighthearted interactions between Saki and Akira seem fairly well balanced, to me anyway.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 12:24   Link #325
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Well ep3 was certainly interesting, animation was top-notch, the characters are lovely (I still find the redhead's design a bit weird, but she is nice), and the story looks very promising so far.
Spoiler for ep3:

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-04-17 at 13:27. Reason: typo
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 12:26   Link #326
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
there isn't any engrish here, just english
bah, what a pity.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 12:29   Link #327
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Send a message via AIM to Azure_Peregrine
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Orenji-kun inquired:
The song playing on the cab's radio is clearly an American gospel song sung by an American. The singer is singing the words from the song (poem?) that is displayed during the OP.

The King has come!
To lighten up our feet
The King has come!
To save us from the dark
The King has come!
With justice till the end

But I will be jiggered if any part of the song's lyrics shows up anywhere on the net in another context.

An original American gospel composition by Kenji Kawai?
Really? So this is all made up? Running google searches is indeed getting nothin'... Huh. Well, a number of things are worth mentioning off the bat here. First off, it seems readily apparent that this show has a lot of Christian imagery, or at least diction. But at the same time, they have two ideas that Christianity seems to go against: Kings and rich people.

Rich people get a really bad rap in Christianity (in my opinion, for good reason). So do Kings. We all remember King David, I'm sure, but what I'd never known until this year was that God was fundamentally against monarchy. So these people consider themselves saviors acting for the good of the people (or at least, that's what they should be doing), but really, they're doing things that are against the faith that they seem to represent... And not only that, but their miracles are false. It looks miraculous at first that these things happen, like people just suddenly getting shot and cars driving up when you need them in airports, but then you realize it's just money making it happen.

Hell, I did some quick math, and I found out the value of life in this show is 499,782 yen, or roughly about twenty bucks over $5000. If we take this in conjunction with the idea of Japanese nationalism vs. foreign subservience, this could be a mockery of Christian values not coinciding with capitalism, as well as a mockery of how the Christian faith has been distorted.

Also, for those of us out there wondering why Portuguese is used in this show... from wikipedia:
Quote:
Christianity reached in Japan began in 1549 with the arrival of Portuguese. The local Japanese people initially assumed that the Portuguese were from India and that Christianity was a new "Indian faith". These mistaken assumptions were due to the Indian city of Goa being a central base for the Portuguese East India Company and also due to a significant portion of the crew on Portuguese ships being Indian Christians.[8] Later on, the Roman Catholic missionary activities were exclusively performed by Portuguese-sponsored Jesuits and Spanish-sponsored mendicant orders, such as the Franciscans and Dominicans. Francisco Xavier (a Catholic Saint),[9][10] Cosme de Torres (a Jesuit priest), and John Fernandez were the first who arrived in Kagoshima with hopes to bring Christianity and Catholicism to Japan. Catholicism was subsequently repressed in several parts of the country, and Christianity was legally banned throughout Japan during the Edo period.
My guess? We're gonna see more significance to this later on. But that does remind me of something I stumbled across when researching Gundam 00 and Mistah Bushido (): the concept of Romantic love did not crop up in Japan until the introduction of Christianity. Considering this is definitely a love story (among other things), and it has some emphasis on traditional Japanese values vs. imported ideas, I bet we're gonna see some subtle references here and there about that. Maybe we'll see it in a comparison of Saki and Akira's relationship with the relationship her older sister has with her husband. Just a thought.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Somehow I get the feeling that Akira's behind the missile attacks. Part of some bizarre plan that's not supposed to kill anyone (presumably that involves bribing people to leave the area beforehand). The one that hit the plane would be a copycat missile by another one of these guys in order to assassinate someone, or something like that. Just random speculation.
Huh. Ya know, those were pretty big craters... And people should have died... I bet one of the selected people asked Juiz to not have anyone die. And perhaps in the missile attack this time, someone just asked for the two six year olds to not die or somethin' like that. This might be in line with the idea of capitalism, that you give money to people, they'll use it to help the country... 'Cept that doesn't always happen... We'll have to see how it goes.
Azure_Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 12:39   Link #328
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka-pon-tan View Post
11th missile shot down airplane, 2 kids are survived 236 are missing.
In GITS S.A.C.2nd GIG, Airplane crushed and only 2 kids are survived. Motoko and Kuze.
I'm sorry, but where is that's shown that 236 people is missing? Also if they are really missing why does Saki forgets them? I mean the scene in the metro she says: "Yeah, so afterward when we learned that no one was harmed...". Is she deliberately ignoring all these missing people by being oblivious about them? If they are missing for more than a month, I would hardly call them "not harmed". Or is that also from GITS? (It's not familiar to me from anywhere).
Old 2009-04-17, 12:43   Link #329
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
I'm sorry, but where is that's shown that 236 people is missing? Also if they are really missing why does Saki forgets them? I mean the scene in the metro she says: "Yeah, so afterward when we learned that no one was harmed...". Is she deliberately ignoring all these missing people by being oblivious about them? If they are missing for more than a month, I would hardly call them "not harmed". Or is that also from GITS? (It's not familiar to me from anywhere).
When she talks about the plane going down, it's from the more recent missile attack which is in 2011. When they're talking on the subway, she's talking about the original Careless Monday, Nov 22, 2010.

Old 2009-04-17, 12:47   Link #330
Ottocycle

Reading the official site and the trailer gives me some clues about what actually happened.
These are my pieces of the puzzle.
Spoiler for spoilers and wild speculation:

Last edited by Ottocycle; 2009-04-17 at 13:19. Reason: Extra discoveries
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 13:12   Link #331
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
When she talks about the plane going down, it's from the more recent missile attack which is in 2011. When they're talking on the subway, she's talking about the original Careless Monday, Nov 22, 2010.
Thank you. I see, so the 236 missing is from the just crashed airplane if I understand it correctly. But I still don't grasp where is that number popped up from. I also checked another fansubgroup's version if that might have been the cause of the discrepency, but neither gets into detail exactly how many people is missing from the crashed airplane. Is that written inside the tv-broadcast? (I can't read moonspeak unfortunately) I refer on the scene by the tv in the japanese airport, that's where it's supposed to be seen right? Or it's from the end of ep1?
Old 2009-04-17, 13:28   Link #332
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

No, it's not in the ep 2 TV broadcast (I can read some kanji, having learned Chinese).

Ah, it's in the ep 1 broadcast in Dulles (I presume) airport, in English. Right before the credits roll, the ticker at the bottom of the screen displays the number of missing people.

Old 2009-04-17, 13:37   Link #333
Green²
It's Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
How could no one have died in the first Careless Monday? The craters shown look to be the better part of a kilometer across...
Probably the same way North Korea has a satellite up there currently in orbit.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 13:58   Link #334
Coruja

Great episode,very mysterious, I can't wait to see what'll happen next.
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 15:14   Link #335
Serpit

I just discovered something in the opening that may be a huge bit of foreshadowing. Hope it hasn't been mentioned already.

Spoiler for Opening Spoilers:

Last edited by Serpit; 2009-04-17 at 16:43.
Serpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 15:27   Link #336
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Spoiler:
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 15:43   Link #337
Serpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Serpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 16:06   Link #338
Kaguya
an idler

If memory can be erased by only $9, I may also want to use the program.
Spoiler for the activity history of No.09 before memory erasure:
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 17:01   Link #339
BlackDove
Unheard

My pants are wet from the mental orgasm this show inhibits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
So many questions, and you are only focused on the local flavor.
BlackDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 17:07   Link #340
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
With such a price, I can certainly think of a couple of things that I want to erase from my mind
Quote:
Akira is a bit fruity in the head, isn’t he? Though it is wired for the last activity on his expenses to be a year apart.

Tags
romance, spy thriller