AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Eden of the East

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-20, 03:07   Link #481
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz


the bang bang thing is just like this Xbox banned commercial, now I know why it is banned . one of those 28472742 people could be a selecao
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 03:19   Link #482
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post


the bang bang thing is just like this Xbox banned commercial, now I know why it is banned . one of those 28472742 people could be a selecao
Those who play TF2 will find similar meaning in this image...

teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 10:30   Link #483
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo View Post
Freebies~



I think I'll have No. 3.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 11:46   Link #484
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Hey it beats the hell out of not even trying to create intrigue. For all that people are saying K-On is somehow refreshing I would sooner put that label to this show.

Me thinks you've been watching to much moe and slice of life anime Vexx. It's made you passive. Gotta get back that killer instinct and find the will to match this series at it's current intellectual/philosophical pretense...for better or worse, because it's not often a show like this comes along nowadays and it's the only way you know for sure if it faltered.
I think most people who find the series boring have watched enough American action movies to be jaded. For one, we've been seeing a good amount of correlation to the Bourne series. I've been talking to people the other day about how anime tends to make pre-plot buildup as ridiculously happy as possible while Western-style live action series swing the other way.

I stick around because I find the notion of a cell phone that could do whatever the hell you tell it to as long as you have the money unspeakably awesome.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 12:01   Link #485
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Hey it beats the hell out of not even trying to create intrigue. For all that people are saying K-On is somehow refreshing I would sooner put that label to this show.

Me thinks you've been watching to much moe and slice of life anime Vexx. It's made you passive. Gotta get back that killer instinct and find the will to match this series at it's current intellectual/philosophical pretense...for better or worse, because it's not often a show like this comes along nowadays and it's the only way you know for sure if it faltered.
K-On is a lot of things... but "refreshing" doesn't come to mind. (yes its cute and amusing yet I'm still not sure what drew KyoAni to go with it).

I'm kind of sticking with this to see if we get a "cool revelatory moment" (e.g. Yuki's exposition of the situation in SHnY). No it doesn't *need* to be romantic (though I wouldn't mind) and adventure is good.... but some content payoff would be nice (one of the downfalls of Kurozuka - which I loved but the anime-only ending was annoying rather than deep).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 12:27   Link #486
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I stick around because I find the notion of a cell phone that could do whatever the hell you tell it to as long as you have the money unspeakably awesome.
If you put it that way, it sounds awfully similar to a movie that came out recently. Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echelon_Conspiracy
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 12:52   Link #487
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I stick around because I find the notion of a cell phone that could do whatever the hell you tell it to as long as you have the money unspeakably awesome.
Well, in some places, you can already use your cell phone as a credit card:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5033942.stm
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 13:14   Link #488
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hungary, Europe
Age: 29
Just a silly thought.
Is it possible that the 20000 missing people are mostly from the residents of the rocket-impact sites? It might explain how there was no casualty, however if that's the case it's a bit odd that the public doesn't connect the two crimes together (or it might be just Saki thinks they aren't related, hence why she doesn't mention the possibility on the metro).

Edit: by the way, as I'm not entirely sure, I would feel grateful if someone can enlighten me about that word they use regarding the kidnapped people, NEET. Is that the abbreviation for "Not in Education, Employment or Training", or it refers on something else?
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 13:19   Link #489
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I suspect NERV is somehow involved.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 13:44   Link #490
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Edit: by the way, as I'm not entirely sure, I would feel grateful if someone can enlighten me about that word they use regarding the kidnapped people, NEET. Is that the abbreviation for "Not in Education, Employment or Training"
Yes, it's exactly that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEET

As the article says, while the term was first used in UK, its use has spread to other countries, including Japan, China and South Korea.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 13:52   Link #491
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hungary, Europe
Age: 29
Thank you, I wouldn't have imagined japanese people would be using that word in such form.

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-04-20 at 14:41. Reason: correction
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 14:12   Link #492
DidCart
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I`m loving Higashi no Eden! Really!
The better loking anime of this season by far!
The care about the scenery is amazing!
And the story is interesting too.

One of my favorites this season.
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 14:37   Link #493
powermojo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
i was hoping the anime to proceed interestingly after Takizawa left on his own but WTF? he came back right away

he come back just because he couldnt find a way to Toyosu? ridiculous, he can ask anyone, why did he come back just because of that reason? he even got on the plane for free and fools the government officials in the first ep,

i was hoping extremely high about his journey alone, im so disappointed
powermojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 15:06   Link #494
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermojo View Post
...he come back just because he couldnt find a way to Toyosu? ridiculous, he can ask anyone, why did he come back just because of that reason? he even got on the plane for free and fools the government officials in the first ep...i was hoping extremely high about his journey alone, im so disappointed
I may be wrong, but I think he probably came back for another reason: because he realized he didn't want to lose touch with Saki. He just said it was for directions. Of course, you're right about the directions: any taxi driver could take him.

I don't want to lose contact with Saki for a moment, myself. But I think we may get some time for Akira's adventures alone, anyway.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 15:34   Link #495
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Thank you, I wouldn't have imagined japanese people would be using that word in such form.
Watch or read Welcome to the NHK!. The main character refers to himself as a hikikomori or as a NEET rather interchangeably.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 15:35   Link #496
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I suspect NERV is somehow involved.
I don't want to turn into orange juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Yes, it's exactly that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEET

As the article says, while the term was first used in UK, its use has spread to other countries, including Japan, China and South Korea.
From the wikipedia article, it seems that the name is used primarily as a statistical term in the UK, while in Japan, it is used to represent a societal phenomenon. And just curious, is there any other country where the term "NEET" is used in everyday life to refer to someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermojo View Post
he come back just because he couldnt find a way to Toyosu? ridiculous, he can ask anyone, why did he come back just because of that reason? he even got on the plane for free and fools the government officials in the first ep,
It's not that hard to believe, if he was smart and always looked for the right person for the job. Saki knew the directions to his destination. On top of that, he had been with her for a while, and understands her personality through his keen sense of observation. He knew he could trust her. That would have been much better than asking some random taxi driver, who might turn out to have a nosey personality and cause more trouble.

Last edited by teelotes; 2009-04-20 at 15:51.
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 18:33   Link #497
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I've never heard the term NEET used in North America. Has anyone else? I think it's used in Japan in a sense more or less equivalent to the way we sometimes use "slacker." Is that right? Are there other North American terms?
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 18:49   Link #498
BluWacky
尻の竜
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I've never heard the term NEET used in North America. Has anyone else? I think it's used in Japan in a sense more or less equivalent to the way we sometimes use "slacker." Is that right? Are there other North American terms?
No-one actually uses the word in the UK except government agencies. It's a statistical term, literally just referring to anyone "not in education, employment or training" - so this can include housewives/husbands, people with disabilities preventing them from working etc. For the Japanese I think NEET has more of a negative context; it's people not working by choice, rather than due to circumstances.

"Slacker" to me suggests someone who doesn't make the effort to do anything, whereas I think NEET is more a social phenomenon of deliberately choosing to reject life in the workforce or whatever. I prefer to use "drop out" as a translation; I think it works better in context, certainly in episode 2 where Koudou immediately compares NEETs to hikikomori.

Just my two pence/cents/yen, though.

Last edited by BluWacky; 2009-04-20 at 18:50. Reason: Because I'm just duplicating what teelotes said above, really, but I still want to say SOME things...
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 19:06   Link #499
Schneizel
fanatical racism moe
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I think most people who find the series boring have watched enough American action movies to be jaded. For one, we've been seeing a good amount of correlation to the Bourne series. I've been talking to people the other day about how anime tends to make pre-plot buildup as ridiculously happy as possible while Western-style live action series swing the other way.

I stick around because I find the notion of a cell phone that could do whatever the hell you tell it to as long as you have the money unspeakably awesome.
...I would think the Bourne series correlation is natural since the anime directly references it. You say it like it's odd.
__________________
aka koda aka miasmacloud
schneizel.com
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 20:13   Link #500
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
I don't know where the comparisons to Ergo Proxy, Evangelion, or Satoshi Kon works came from (Which are all anime I happen to love...) as I have not really found this series to be all that similar really.

I cannot pin point any similarities that are not superficial.

Unlike in those other series we haven't been presented with any deepness, or for critics we can call it "so called deepness" (I argue that these series and movies present wonderful ideas and meaning that most viewers for some reason miss or ignore simply because they don't like little tidbits like random nonsensical religious references that needed be dwelled on). There is no "mind #%@!" factor involved. The main characters do not posses any major psychological issues, though mr.naked may have at one point seeing that he has erased his memory.

Like others have already said in this thread, the main focus so far should be on the two main characters' interactions. This, above all else, is what has shined so far. The plot about cell phones which apparently are able to make wishes come true, and some organization yet to be revealed, so far has been secondary. I'm sure it will start to become much more important, but it has not reached that point just yet.

If the character interactions or the plot about cell phones and Juiz have not sparked any interest in some of you viewers, I suggest bailing out in a couple of episodes if you cannot see anything of worth in it. These were the apparent selling points of the series to me, so it would probably be fruitless to continue. Well unless you like to act like a critic, as I do .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
romance, spy thriller

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.