AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-25, 16:12   Link #561
DidCart

This anime is amazingly beautiful!
The background scenery is gorgeous!

The history is interesting as well.
I`ll see episode 3 now for better comments.
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 22:13   Link #562
Tri-ring

Here are the titles of the following episodes up to episode 11.

Spoiler for Titles of following episodes:
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 09:37   Link #563
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Send a message via MSN to Fynal_Fyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post

Gee, I wonder if that's hinting at something~
Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 09:46   Link #564
sirn
レス乞食

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post

Translations at #556 (except episode 9)
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 19:25   Link #565
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
I don't know if this has been posted, but it seems like the phone is a collaboration with NEC.

I was contemplating to post this in the merchandise thread, but I think this will be one of many concept phones that will never see the light of day.

Not much information is given, besides the picture: http://www.nec-dp.co.jp/information/20090409.html

More images of a prototype of the phone from Tokyo International Anime Fair 2009 (source):

(Source):

jesus f christ, that is awesome. I was wishing that they'd make something like this and they already did lolz

Im buying one as soon as it's available (Good thing im fluent in japanese, though Id much rather have one that's in English)
Old 2009-04-26, 19:41   Link #566
Kaguya
an idler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
Translations at #556 (except episode 9)
The title translation of the episode 9

Spoiler for title:
CDJAPAN has exhibited all the titles of Blu-ray carelessly.
(It was already deleted.)
However, description of the spoiler remains.

Spoiler for story:
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 03:29   Link #567
rainrix

I just watched episode one, Kamiyama must be tired, maybe he lost his talent after GITS?
Serei no moribito was bad even though the animation was good, the story was a waste of time.
GITS SSS was awful even the animation was poor.
And now he comes this bullshit of an anime. I read the synopsis, it was about terrorism, i thought it might be interesting but when i saw the characters i felt like this anime is aimed tiny-dicked otaku-nerds. Look at this kid he is so cool and has a big dick. It was painful to watch this guy naked, the wearing a girl's coat during half the episode.
I think Kamiyama should seek a new job.
rainrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 07:03   Link #568
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrix View Post
I just watched episode one, Kamiyama must be tired, maybe he lost his talent after GITS?
Serei no moribito was bad even though the animation was good, the story was a waste of time.
GITS SSS was awful even the animation was poor.
And now he comes this bullshit of an anime. I read the synopsis, it was about terrorism, i thought it might be interesting but when i saw the characters i felt like this anime is aimed tiny-dicked otaku-nerds. Look at this kid he is so cool and has a big dick. It was painful to watch this guy naked, the wearing a girl's coat during half the episode.
I think Kamiyama should seek a new job.
Sweetie, you should do your research first.
This show is NOT aimed at otaku, and if you knew what channel this airs on, the audience is quite different. And maybe the character designs aren't your cup of tea but it sure isn't for some others too on here either. It's not that big of a deal.

And if naked guys running around bother you, at least it was censored
I say someone is a bit insecure here.

It's just a naked guy
( a naked girl would be a different story, ha )
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 08:13   Link #569
sirn
レス乞食

Quote:
And now he comes this bullshit of an anime. I read the synopsis, it was about terrorism, i thought it might be interesting but when i saw the characters i felt like this anime is aimed tiny-dicked otaku-nerds.
Umino Chika's designs are here to soften the tone down for the general audience. Don't forgot the series aired in Noitamina, which is not aimed at Otaku but non-anime watchers which obviously the thick-lips I.G character designs won't sell well.

For me, I see this as a come-back of Kamiyama after his failure in Seirei no Moribito.
Old 2009-04-27, 08:58   Link #570
rainrix

It's probably aimed at teenage girls, if you like what Kamiyama used us to , just be on your way, theres's nothing interesting here. I guess they knews there was high risks of disapponitment hence the only 11 episodes.
rainrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 09:46   Link #571
sirn
レス乞食

Quote:
It's probably aimed at teenage girls, if you like what Kamiyama used us to , just be on your way, theres's nothing interesting here. I guess they knews there was high risks of disapponitment hence the only 11 episodes.
Most anime broadcasted in this Noitamina timeslot are always 11-12 episodes (as opposed to 12-13/22-26 on other), except the first season of Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile. Beside, there will be Eden of the East: The Movie after this.
Old 2009-04-27, 10:24   Link #572
Schneizel
fanatical racism moe
*Fansubber

Quote:
It's probably aimed at teenage girls
Weeeeell, the ads during the half time include the Twilight DVD (something that is def. for teenage girls) and panty liners, so I'd say not much "probably" as it is "definitely".
Old 2009-04-27, 10:33   Link #573
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

I find it interesting that some people here feel Seirei no Moribito was a failure. Not a popular opinion opinion, I'd wager...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 12:57   Link #574
Kaoru Chujo
Komatsu Mikako

I'm not sure I'd say SnM was a "failure," but I felt the story bogged down through the middle part of it. I'd probably call it "uneven." But the production values and some of the characters and relationships were great, as were the animation and backgrounds, and the basic story.

SnM was broadcast on Saturday mornings, perhaps aiming at a core audience of younger people. This show is in the Noitamina time slot on Thursday nights around midnight, which is designed to appeal to a josei audience (older teen girls - young adult women). Shows broadcast here (Nodame Cantabile, in particular) have had some of the highest TV ratings ever for late-night anime.

But there was an interview where one of the producers (I think) said that Noitamina had good ratings, but didn't sell many DVDs. So they were aiming to broaden the audience to guys with things like the character designs from Umino Chika (even though her manga are published in josei magazines). Also with the international intrigue aspect of the plot, I'd say.

If they were aiming to broaden the appeal, it looks as if they succeeded. Its 15,000 posts on 2channel put it in the upper middle of the pack for popularity among the otaku who post on that board. And it has achieved quite the popularity on AnimeSuki, too, clearly. Although the TV ratings for ep2 were not as high as for many Noitamina shows, it appears.

By the way, here is a link to a Google map showing the spot where Akira's apartment was supposed to be in DC. If you zoom out 2-3 goes, you can see where it is in relation to the White House.
Komatsu Mikako 小松未可子 b88.11.11 (age 26). 2010: Heroman (Joey). 2011: Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (Mizuki Kotori). 2012: Bodacious Space Pirates (Kato Marika), K (Neko). 2013: Sunday Without God (Ulla Hecmatika), Nagi no Asukara (Miuna). 2014: Soul Eater Not (Eternal Feather), Aldnoah Zero (Inko), Ao Haru Ride (Shuuko), Nisekoi (Seishirou). 2015: Junketsu no Maria (Priapos), Gangsta (Ginger), Aoharu x Kikanjuu (Hotaru), Ushio to Tora (Asako), Danchigai (Yayoi).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2015 anime previews - schedule
character/seiyuu pages: Hibike! Euphonium | Akagami no Shirayukihime | Aoharu x Kikanjuu | Charlotte | Dandelion | Gangsta | Gatchaman | GATE | Im@s Cinderella | Jitsu wa Watashi wa... | Non Non Biyori | Overlord | Rokka no Yuusha | Simoneta | Sore ga Seiyuu | Working!!!

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-04-27 at 13:11.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 12:58   Link #575
Tale

I didn't know it's Kamiyama but it had reminded me Ghost in the Shell, which made me to find out who's behind. Surely, I'll keep an eye on this.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 13:10   Link #576
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But there was an interview where one of the producers (I think) said that Noitamina had good ratings, but didn't sell many DVDs. So they were aiming to broaden the audience to guys with things like the character designs from Umino Chika (even though her manga are published in josei magazines). Also with the international intrigue aspect of the plot, I'd say.
They are aiming to broaden the audience to guys (particularly anime fans), but the shoujo-like character designs by Umino Chika are meant to keep the female audience interested. At least that's what they say in the original interview.
Old 2009-04-27, 13:24   Link #577
neshru

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd say SnM was a "failure," but I felt the story bogged down through the middle part of it.
Yup, most of the episodes in the middle of the story were pretty much filler. I still enjoyed the whole thing, but it would have been a better series with half the episodes.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 23:21   Link #578
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
But there was an interview where one of the producers (I think) said that Noitamina had good ratings, but didn't sell many DVDs.
I want what he's smoking. Let's look at some figures for recent Noitamina shows from our own DVD Sales thread:
(figures in thousands)
Title                              Range           Average
Nodame Paris-Hen           3-4                 3.9
Antique Bakery                N/A
Toshokan Sensou            9-12               10.0 
Hakaba Kitaro                 5-11                6.9
Moyashimon                     6-9                8.5
Nodame Cantabile           6-16                8.8
Mononoke                      11-15              12.9 

If you browse the DVD sales thread, you'll see that these figures range from respectable to impressive. Nodame Paris fared quite poorly for a Noitamina show but still sold almost 4K units per DVD. (I'm not surprised it didn't sell better; the Paris arc was hardly as impressive as the original.)

According to these figures from kobejin, Toshokan Sensou and Hakaba Kitaro ranked eighth and tenth respectively in 2008 sales volume.

To me this producer sounds like he thinks he should be getting Geass or Clannad numbers. Instead he should be grateful to have the opportunity to produce a show with I.G for Noitamina that might sell 10,000 DVDs. Beats producing Seirei no Moribito which sadly averaged a mere 2,000 DVDs and never broke the 2,500 mark.

Sorry about the double-spacing. Seems to come along with the [pre] tag.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-04-27 at 23:35.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 00:55   Link #579
Kaoru Chujo
Komatsu Mikako

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I want what he's smoking. Let's look at some figures for recent Noitamina shows from our own DVD Sales thread.... If you browse the DVD sales thread, you'll see that these figures range from respectable to impressive....
To me this producer sounds like he thinks he should be getting Geass or Clannad numbers. Instead he should be grateful to have the opportunity to produce a show with I.G for Noitamina that might sell 10,000 DVDs. Beats producing Seirei no Moribito which sadly averaged a mere 2,000 DVDs and never broke the 2,500 mark....
Great stuff. For anyone else who finds this interesting, here is the link posted by Westlo to the original article (in English), which gives TV ratings and anime sales for most of the Noitamina shows.

Just for interest, I found this week's 2channel thread on anime TV ratings, and find that Eden is at 3.0, down from 3.2 last week and higher the week before. It looks to me as if this show is gaining a new male audience but not preserving all of the old female one.

It is still by far the highest-rated show that starts after midnight. Next comes Souten Kouro, which rated a 2.2% share.

I've posted the full table of ratings in the "Anime Viewer ratings in Japan?" thread in the General Anime forum.
Komatsu Mikako 小松未可子 b88.11.11 (age 26). 2010: Heroman (Joey). 2011: Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (Mizuki Kotori). 2012: Bodacious Space Pirates (Kato Marika), K (Neko). 2013: Sunday Without God (Ulla Hecmatika), Nagi no Asukara (Miuna). 2014: Soul Eater Not (Eternal Feather), Aldnoah Zero (Inko), Ao Haru Ride (Shuuko), Nisekoi (Seishirou). 2015: Junketsu no Maria (Priapos), Gangsta (Ginger), Aoharu x Kikanjuu (Hotaru), Ushio to Tora (Asako), Danchigai (Yayoi).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2015 anime previews - schedule
character/seiyuu pages: Hibike! Euphonium | Akagami no Shirayukihime | Aoharu x Kikanjuu | Charlotte | Dandelion | Gangsta | Gatchaman | GATE | Im@s Cinderella | Jitsu wa Watashi wa... | Non Non Biyori | Overlord | Rokka no Yuusha | Simoneta | Sore ga Seiyuu | Working!!!
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 01:21   Link #580
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Just for interest, I found this week's 2channel thread on anime TV ratings, and find that Eden is at 3.0, down from 3.2 last week and higher the week before. It looks to me as if this show is gaining a new male audience but not preserving all of the old female one.
You're assuming a bit too much here. Noitamina's usual audience is not entirely female. Their old target is a general non-otaku audiences (male and female), so we don't know whether this down in ratings is due to a lost of female or male audience.

Tags
romance, spy thriller