AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Maria-sama

Notices

View Poll Results: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 5 11.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 26.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 38.10%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 7.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-13, 17:07   Link #41
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
Opps, I apologize for butchering Touko's name and leading others to do the same. Lol.
Pretty much everyone has done i have been destroying her name since season 2 lol But i pretty remember the spelling now.
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2009-01-13, 18:43   Link #42
dream-seeker
soar high
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington State
Age: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to dream-seeker
Hmmn.. I thought Touko was wearing a wig in this episode, the hair color doesn't match to her original plus her bangs. Not sure. I'll watch ep2 again.

So far episode 2 is just average, it was rushed but it's better than nothing. If the creators keep to this pace, they most likely cover the whole novels that were out before the season ends. hehehe Or maybe not.
dream-seeker is offline  
Old 2009-01-13, 23:55   Link #43
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
I didn't mind that they rushed Kanako's story one bit since as others (4Tran specifically) have mentioned, it really wasn't all that interesting a story. Lots of complicated relationships, a big dash of melodrama, a hand-wavy explanation for why Kanako hates men and then a sudden resolution. All well and good, we move on.

I loved the rest of the episode, because it was just more Marimite goodness. This show knows its audience, and knows what they want. The scene between Yumi and Touko was touching, and the scene between Yumi and Sachiko was even moreso, but with an added bit of spice at the end, which brings the whole Yumi souer plot path squarely into focus. I'm with Matrim, I just couldn't imagine Yumi not picking Touko. But who she picks isn't the hook here, it's finding out how it happens. Should be very intriguing.
Sorrow-K is offline  
Old 2009-01-14, 00:55   Link #44
mintyfresh
Altoid
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
And we really don't need hints about upcoming characters and the like. If you want to talk about them, please do so in the Spoilers thread.
                                
I see I have much to be refreshed on.  ( ´,_ゝ`)y━・~~
__________________
mintyfresh is offline  
Old 2009-01-14, 01:13   Link #45
Neku
yare yare..
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Earth (:
Finally watched this episode.

I have to say, I actually browsed through this thread before I watched it, saw the 1/10 rating, and couldn't resist reading what the problem is.

Finished it. Yeah, I agree, it's rushed, no doubt.
But to be honest, I doubt I would've find the episode rushed since I still enjoyed every bit of it.... call me dense. I'm rather glad Kanako's case is solved right on the second episode too. I was wondering if a part of Season 4 will be telling us about Kanako's past, her rants with Yumi etc, and after this episode, I have to say - I'm rather relieved. It just feels as though there's nothing much to say about her problem... or maybe I'm just not that interested in Kanako.. heh. So there.

I loved this episode... I'm such a sucker for Sei.
Almost everything she says cracks me up, her sheepish sounding apology to Youko and already a FTW remark: "Ahh.. ano dendo drill ka?"

Sachiko's acting a little out of character though, Phoenix Wright eh?

Yumi and Touko scenes are good as always. Yumi grabbing her hand and them running around together kinda reminds me of Sei and Shimako back in the first season(was it S2 instead? I forgot) too.

Finally, I wonder if she's gonna be a frequent character so.. again..
Sei-sama wa, BANZAI!
__________________
Reborn!
(with nosebleed)
Neku is offline  
Old 2009-01-14, 08:45   Link #46
mehmeh1068
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
You shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. While the Marimite anime has been following the manga fairly closely, that doesn't mean that it has to follow it in all respects. It's quite possible that certain jokes or reveals have been moved around to different occassions. What you pointed out couldn't have possibly been wedged into this episode, so the creators might be saving it for later. For this reason, sins of omission shouldn't be brought up unless it's certain that the anime version isn't going to be tackling it at some point. You'd be better off pointing sins of commission instead. (And all of this non-anime talk should be inside clearly-labelled spoiler tags if they have to be brought up at all.)
Really sorry about the spoilers. I'll definitely remember next time.

Some of the jokes are difficult to bring up again because they're directly related to the school festival, but it's not impossible. It's just that this story (episode 1 and 2) is one of my favourite Marimite stories, so it didn't feel right to me without the jokes that actually made the story so fun to read.
mehmeh1068 is offline  
Old 2009-01-14, 09:54   Link #47
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 30
Quote:
And all of this non-anime talk should be inside clearly-labelled spoiler tags if they have to be brought up at all
According to the spoiler policy on anime episode threads, I don't think you are even allowed to post spoilers on spoiler tags
Proto is offline  
Old 2009-01-14, 10:09   Link #48
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neku View Post
Yumi and Touko scenes are good as always. Yumi grabbing her hand and them running around together kinda reminds me of Sei and Shimako back in the first season(was it S2 instead? I forgot) too.
Season 2, and yes, that reminded me strongly of Sei and Shimako too.
Dop is offline  
Old 2009-01-14, 10:10   Link #49
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: CO, USA
For me, considering this is 13 episode season, I thought the pacing wasn't all that bad. I would've wanted 2 episodes on Kanako's backstory.
As for Kanako's backstory, that was pretty surprising. But I guess Kanako didn't really have much of a choice but to accept the two of them... but really... a surprise...
__________________
Nochgo is offline  
Old 2009-01-14, 10:13   Link #50
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
According to the spoiler policy on anime episode threads, I don't think you are even allowed to post spoilers on spoiler tags
The prohibition in the anime threads is that "Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread". It's possible to talk about manga/novel events that aren't about future events provided that such discussion is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler Policy
"Comparing events in an adaptation to the way they were presented in the source material or other adaptations."
Ideally, any such manga/novel discussion should be avoided, but it's okay under these conditions as long as it's kept inside clear spoiler tags. Do note that other sub-forum threads may have slightly different rules.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 01:01   Link #51
dream-seeker
soar high
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington State
Age: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to dream-seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmeh1068 View Post
Is it just me or does Sachiko go sort of out of character in this episode? First she does the Phoenix Wright 'objection!' thing while telling Yumi to hurry to watch Touko's play (that made me laugh even harder than Sei's comment about Touko's hair). Then when she tells Yumi to find a soeur, she looks so cold and hard at Yumi. When I read the novel, I imagined her to be smiling her gentle smile but in the anime she just stares at Yumi like some statue.
I think she was stern and sort of cold in the end because she was sending the message/order to Yumi: "Become Rosa Chinensis next year" or "Take responsibility by being an Onee-sama" or "Take care of Yamayurikai after me". Though taking a soeur is not necessary, Sachiko expected Yumi to be Rosa Chinensis after her. And is giving Yumi another load of responsibility that's why she was cold as an Onee-sama she should be. It was nothing to be happy about either. Sachiko wants Yumi to mature. In my opinion.
dream-seeker is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 10:21   Link #52
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgiane15 View Post
I think she was stern and sort of cold in the end because she was sending the message/order to Yumi: "Become Rosa Chinensis next year" or "Take responsibility by being an Onee-sama" or "Take care of Yamayurikai after me". Though taking a soeur is not necessary, Sachiko expected Yumi to be Rosa Chinensis after her. And is giving Yumi another load of responsibility that's why she was cold as an Onee-sama she should be. It was nothing to be happy about either. Sachiko wants Yumi to mature. In my opinion.
Thats exactly right. If you watch the scene from beginning to end you will see that Sachiko's behavior changes. She's the kind caring Onee-sama when she tells Yumi that the day is nothing special to her because basically seeing Yumi everyday is special.

But it changes the look and sturn tone was to show Yumi this something she is serious about and that was the best way to get it across. Yumi and Sachiko have times when they misunderstood each other. Being direct is the best way for Sachiko to convey what she expects or wants of Yumi. It was still her being an Onee-sama it just was not the playful side nor should it have been. Finding a souer someone to guide show maturity and i agree thats what Sachiko wants for Yumi and i believe deep in Sachiko's heart she wants Yumi to become Rosa Chinensis as guide others in her stead once she leaves.
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 13:27   Link #53
dream-seeker
soar high
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington State
Age: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to dream-seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Thats exactly right. If you watch the scene from beginning to end you will see that Sachiko's behavior changes. She's the kind caring Onee-sama when she tells Yumi that the day is nothing special to her because basically seeing Yumi everyday is special.

But it changes the look and sturn tone was to show Yumi this something she is serious about and that was the best way to get it across. Yumi and Sachiko have times when they misunderstood each other. Being direct is the best way for Sachiko to convey what she expects or wants of Yumi. It was still her being an Onee-sama it just was not the playful side nor should it have been. Finding a souer someone to guide show maturity and i agree thats what Sachiko wants for Yumi and i believe deep in Sachiko's heart she wants Yumi to become Rosa Chinensis as guide others in her stead once she leaves.
Is it just me or am I reading too much? Sachiko has quite a confidence in Yumi, even on their performance of the play. Like she trusted Yumi for everything? There are a number of people that can become a Rosa Chinensis (Lillian is not limited) and if Yumi choose not to be in Yamayurikai next year. Sachiko shouldn't stick her nose in it. Looks like Sachiko planned Yumi's future and making decisions for her. Is she a mother or lover? I agree Onee-sama's do guidance, but isn't Sachiko jumping to conclusion. Yumi may not want to be Rosa Chinensis unless they talk it through. I don't see many conversations between sisters. If she is doing this, there must be some kind of strong bond between them that transcends messages across without discussing it. LOL I'm reading too much. I'll just accept that Sachiko has good intentions and just plain guidance she is doing.
dream-seeker is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 14:21   Link #54
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Thats exactly right. If you watch the scene from beginning to end you will see that Sachiko's behavior changes. She's the kind caring Onee-sama when she tells Yumi that the day is nothing special to her because basically seeing Yumi everyday is special.

But it changes the look and sturn tone was to show Yumi this something she is serious about and that was the best way to get it across. Yumi and Sachiko have times when they misunderstood each other. Being direct is the best way for Sachiko to convey what she expects or wants of Yumi. It was still her being an Onee-sama it just was not the playful side nor should it have been. Finding a souer someone to guide show maturity and i agree thats what Sachiko wants for Yumi and i believe deep in Sachiko's heart she wants Yumi to become Rosa Chinensis as guide others in her stead once she leaves.
I'd have to disagree. Sachiko's being stern does seem a bit out of place. That Yumi takes everything and anything Sachiko says seriously is well known. Being direct is one thing but Sachiko being stern seems a bit out of character in that situation. With a smile, without one or while doing a handstand Yumi would have taken what Sachiko said not one bit less seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgiane15 View Post
Is it just me or am I reading too much? Sachiko has quite a confidence in Yumi, even on their performance of the play. Like she trusted Yumi for everything? There are a number of people that can become a Rosa Chinensis (Lillian is not limited) and if Yumi choose not to be in Yamayurikai next year. Sachiko shouldn't stick her nose in it. Looks like Sachiko planned Yumi's future and making decisions for her. Is she a mother or lover? I agree Onee-sama's do guidance, but isn't Sachiko jumping to conclusion. Yumi may not want to be Rosa Chinensis unless they talk it through. I don't see many conversations between sisters. If she is doing this, there must be some kind of strong bond between them that transcends messages across without discussing it. LOL I'm reading too much. I'll just accept that Sachiko has good intentions and just plain guidance she is doing.
I don't think this has anything to do with Yumi becoming Rosa Chinensis. I have no doubt Sachiko knows Yumi will be Rosa Chinensis due to Yumi's nature and love of her friends in the Rose Mansion. I believe Sachiko expects Yumi to become Rosa Chinensis when she leaves but at the same time Yumi knows this. She would never let Sachiko down by not becoming Rosa Chinensis even if she didn't want to be even though it's clear she does want to do it. Her becoming Rosa Chinensis I think is a non-issue.

I think the point of getting a soeur was more because Sachiko understood why Yumi didn't have one. The reason being that she was so attached to Sachiko that she closed herself off to looking for one. If Sachiko didn't tell Yumi to get one then Yumi would have kept avoiding it and in the process possibly lose possible candidates later on, which she might come to regret.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 18:01   Link #55
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgiane15 View Post
Is it just me or am I reading too much? Sachiko has quite a confidence in Yumi, even on their performance of the play. Like she trusted Yumi for everything? There are a number of people that can become a Rosa Chinensis (Lillian is not limited) and if Yumi choose not to be in Yamayurikai next year. Sachiko shouldn't stick her nose in it. Looks like Sachiko planned Yumi's future and making decisions for her.
Yumi should become Rosa Chinensis because it's a tradition.Sachiko isn't like Sei, who didn't care about such things at all and let Shimako do whatever. Sachiko said, from even before Yumi accepted the rosary, that she'd raise her to be a superb Rosa Chinensis. If Yumi doesn't do it - or if she fails to pick her own heir - it would mean Sachiko failed her own onee-sama. It's not as if Yumi has a real reason or desire to refuse the charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
I'd have to disagree. Sachiko's being stern does seem a bit out of place. That Yumi takes everything and anything Sachiko says seriously is well known. Being direct is one thing but Sachiko being stern seems a bit out of character in that situation. With a smile, without one or while doing a handstand Yumi would have taken what Sachiko said not one bit less seriously.
Yumi already knows she should pick a soeur. She's been procrastinating.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 18:12   Link #56
dream-seeker
soar high
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington State
Age: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to dream-seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with Yumi becoming Rosa Chinensis. I have no doubt Sachiko knows Yumi will be Rosa Chinensis due to Yumi's nature and love of her friends in the Rose Mansion. I believe Sachiko expects Yumi to become Rosa Chinensis when she leaves but at the same time Yumi knows this. She would never let Sachiko down by not becoming Rosa Chinensis even if she didn't want to be even though it's clear she does want to do it. Her becoming Rosa Chinensis I think is a non-issue.

I think the point of getting a soeur was more because Sachiko understood why Yumi didn't have one. The reason being that she was so attached to Sachiko that she closed herself off to looking for one. If Sachiko didn't tell Yumi to get one then Yumi would have kept avoiding it and in the process possibly lose possible candidates later on, which she might come to regret.
I agree, becoming Rosa Chinensis is not an issue for Yumi. Let's say she love her friends and would stand beside them. Does Sachiko only concern about continuing tradition? Or Yumi too attached to her grande soeur? I find that issue too shallow to look for a soeur. In the end Sachiko already expected Yumi to be Rosa Chinensis that would need a soeur. Wasn't Sachiko making decisions already?

Why does she require Yumi to have a soeur? And then asked it on their anniversary? She has not brought up that subject a long time ago. And having no soeur does not incapacitate Yumi on her job. Unless Sachiko wants more help for Yamayurikai or to see who Yumi picks. Still I think the main reason why Sachiko wants Yumi to have a soeur was she wants someone to look after Yumi when she leaves. And Tradition is an excuse wasn't it?
dream-seeker is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 19:14   Link #57
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
I definitely think Yumi knows she should get a petite soeur and is procrastinating due to her attachment to Sachiko. She doesn't want the situation to change and hopes everyday is the same like the past year so is hesitant to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgiane15 View Post
Why does she require Yumi to have a petite-soeur? And then asked it on their anniversary? She has not brought up that subject a long time ago. And having no soeur does not incapacitate Yumi on her job. Unless Sachiko wants more help for Yamayurikai or to see who Yumi picks. Still I think the main reason why Sachiko wants Yumi to have a soeur was she wants someone to look after Yumi when she leaves. And Tradition is an excuse wasn't it?
I'll agree. Sachiko's main reason is probably trying to look out of Yumi when she is gone. I just think she understands why Yumi hasn't gotten a petite soeur yet and is pushing it now because if she doesn't then Yumi might continue to avoid it. Yumi just needed a little push from Sachiko to do something she already knew she should be doing.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 19:33   Link #58
dream-seeker
soar high
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington State
Age: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to dream-seeker
Yep, yep. Poor Yumi. Always under her onee-sama's thumb. LOL Also, Sachiko did push Yumi to take care of Touko's problem with the drama club. And then Kanako's family problems, she was there to witness too. Looks like she has a lot in her hands right now. I guess Sachiko may be right, asking for a grand baby. LOL
dream-seeker is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 19:41   Link #59
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Yumi already knows she should pick a soeur. She's been procrastinating.
Anh_minh touched on a part i left out which might have made my post look misleading. Yumi was procrastinting there is no doubt in my mind Yumi knew this one come one day. The reason why i said Sachiko had a stern look was because of Yumi procrasting on searching for soeur. I dont feel the stern look was out of place at all i actually feel it warrented. A stern look is not mean or evil its just another way to convey or nail home what was stated.
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 20:22   Link #60
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Anh_minh touched on a part i left out which might have made my post look misleading. Yumi was procrastinting there is no doubt in my mind Yumi knew this one come one day. The reason why i said Sachiko had a stern look was because of Yumi procrasting on searching for soeur. I dont feel the stern look was out of place at all i actually feel it warrented. A stern look is not mean or evil its just another way to convey or nail home what was stated.
Are you saying the stern look was her admonishing Yumi for procrastinating? Possibly but still feels a bit pointless to me as it wouldn't change that Yumi would do exactly as she said without it. I'll agree though if that what she was trying to do then I can see the stern face being used. Still I'd have to say that I was also expecting her to smiling and didn't feel that she was in anyway admonishing her though it is certainly a possibility.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.