AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-24, 16:05   Link #641
magnuskn

Well, to be fair, she got the full details in ep 22, from Luca and Leon.

Which is why I still think that the V-Type disease isn't transmitted by sexual intercourse, but rather by direct contact with an infected persons blood. Which would explain what happened in the kitchen scene in episode 23.
Old 2010-09-24, 16:23   Link #642
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

But then it wouldn't be a disease transmitted via bodily fluids, but a blood-borne disease. Distinctions, distinctions...

Old 2010-09-24, 16:28   Link #643
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
But then it wouldn't be a disease transmitted via bodily fluids, but a blood-borne disease. Distinctions, distinctions...
Well, maybe someone wants to re-watch that particular scene and tell us if the translation was really correct?
Old 2010-09-24, 16:30   Link #644
Tak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, maybe someone wants to re-watch that particular scene and tell us if the translation was really correct?
Besides, Sheryl was not the only one who trasmitted 'bodily fluids' to Alto. Ranka did it as well.

But... this dead horse is getting silly again...

- Tak
Old 2010-09-24, 16:33   Link #645
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Any excuse is a good excuse. Now, if you'll excuse me...

Old 2010-09-24, 16:37   Link #646
magnuskn

Well, it seems that the infection rate during sexual intercourse on, say, Hepatitis C, is pretty low. Like, 1-3% low.

Considering that Sheryl knew that there is a treatment for Alto, in case it happens, I think we can safely de-bunk the "Sheryl would never ever do that, because she'd know that Alto would get infected for sure" argument.

Of course now we'll get "but Hepatitis C is a blood borne disease!". True, but it also can be contracted by bodily fluids. Eh, whatever.
Old 2010-09-24, 16:42   Link #647
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Why would Sheryl think about unpleasant things like that at the time?

It's just you and your loved one, nothing else. It's a way to get away from reality for just a little bit.

Get lost in the moment ♥
Old 2010-09-24, 16:44   Link #648
magnuskn

Because she is a responsible person.
Old 2010-09-24, 16:49   Link #649
Tak
Banned

Quote:
Because she is a responsible person.
Echoing Foreshadow there

Personally, nobody at that point would be thinking of unpleasant things like, when will I die?

Besides Maggy, Sheryl is French, not German

Romance > Responsibility

- Tak
Old 2010-09-24, 16:51   Link #650
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I love it when they showed that episode back in the day. Once the ordeal was over, some die-hards insisted they simply 'butted heads'.
Ranka fans denying they even kissed is one of the worst examples of shipping in the last few years period
Old 2010-09-24, 16:56   Link #651
magnuskn

Well, if the V-Type disease would be actually Space AIDS, I couldn't see Sheryl making love to Alto, romance or not, French or not. Doesn't make for the best morning-after, exactly.

Damn, researching the whole bodily fluid thing is not fun. Most reports mentioning it handle it from the other side, meaning that they are about the actual disease, not which diseases are transmitted via bodily fluids. Of course most of that information is about AIDS, but Hepatitis is also a big topic on bodily fluids. And, as indicated above, it's infection rate via sexual intercourse is quite low.
Old 2010-09-24, 16:59   Link #652
Tak
Banned

Quote:
Well, if the V-Type disease would be actually Space AIDS, I couldn't see Sheryl making love to Alto, romance or not, French or not. Doesn't make for the best morning-after, exactly.
Well, nobody ever revealed how the V-Type virus could be trasmitted, exactly. Sheryl had it injected to her body just as Ranka's mother did. Both cases were forced-entry. So while we can speculate on this topic forever, I am quite certain not even the producers of this show are remotely interested in providing us the full details of this artificial disease.

I say we just drop it and move to something else, like oh, how many Vajra does it take to screq a lightbulb...

- Tak
Old 2010-09-24, 17:13   Link #653
magnuskn

Five. One to hold the light-bulb, and four others to lift him up and turn him in a circle.

But, yeah, it's certainly quite possible that the producers simply used the next best term they had at hand. With all the implications that Sheryl and Alto made love and the lack of any further developments on the topic of a sexual transmission, in and out of the show, I think it wasn't really much of a concern for them.
Old 2010-09-24, 17:45   Link #654
Dash_Hunter
Pilot

The V type infection is really an interesting topic.

What I understand (of course I may be wrong) is that the infection is more like microbes that are in the vajra's blood/body and that because of them the Vajras can emit fold waves to communicate.

The way a human can contract the infection is vaguely explained, they only said “by body fluids”. I don't remember well but i think we never saw someone getting infected this way, Sheryl got infected because Grace did so on purpose, and Ranka contracted it in her mother's womb, which leads me to the next point.

How did Ranshe contract the infection? i really doubt she injected herself vajra fluids on purpose, at least it seemed like it was an accident and more important, apparently she was infected before getting pregnant so the whole “willing put her loved one in danger” applies to her as well but we never get information about her husband being infected or dying because of it.
So maybe it's like magnuskn said and the infection rate during sexual intercourse is really low.

I think we will never know for sure, but since Luca explained that the infection in the early stages can be cured it really wasn't an impediment for Alto and Sheryl to have sex that night.
Old 2010-09-24, 19:19   Link #655
magnuskn

Well, I understood it to be that Ranshe got infected while she was having Ranka, not before. But I could be wrong on that account.

As for the whole infection thing, one thing that just went through my mind is the little flash of a scene which they showed, when Luca was explaining the disease to Sheryl. At the time I couldn't make heads or tails of it, but on re-watching the series, I caught on that it was a little flash to a scene in the first episodes, when Ozmas Valkyrie is covered with Vajra blood. Which once again makes me think that the disease is only transmitted by direct contact with Vajra blood. Hell, otherwise it would be much more widespread, just like AIDS is.
Old 2010-09-24, 19:31   Link #656
moncikoma

What If ozma and alto is infected? ... I bet They can sing Lion together while fighting the vajra.

..WTF!
Old 2010-09-24, 21:13   Link #657
justavisitor

I am only thinking that if Sheryl was afraid to let Alto touch her blood, then it means the v-type virus could be transmitted by blood (I don't think showing the cut is showing her weakness...her facial expression meant more than that...anyway)

then, hmm I don't know how gentle Alto is when he is having sex lol (or Sheryl)...but Alto could be cut here and there...and I think Sheryl could have thought about that

In summary, if Sheryl is that afraid of letting Alto touch her tiny little wound, then it means Sheryl has a "rather to be safe than sorry" attitude...and when she has that attitude, I really doubt that they had sex
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-09-24, 21:21   Link #658
Tak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
In summary, if Sheryl is that afraid of letting Alto touch her tiny little wound, then it means Sheryl has a "rather to be safe than sorry" attitude...and when she has that attitude, I really doubt that they had sex
Again, why would you be showy of the wound you have just acquired? I wouldn't. Even if Alto touched her blood, so what? Sheryl's blood is only infectious if Alto had an open wound without a layer of skin to protect it, basic biology.

Moreover, with Sheryl being the way she is, displaying her weakside at the time simply was not in her best psychological interest. And no matter how much you denied it, the fact that they had sex is in print.

- Tak
Old 2010-09-24, 21:25   Link #659
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
I am only thinking that if Sheryl was afraid to let Alto touch her blood, then it means the v-type virus could be transmitted by blood (I don't think showing the cut is showing her weakness...her facial expression meant more than that...anyway)

then, hmm I don't know how gentle Alto is when he is having sex lol (or Sheryl)...but Alto could be cut here and there...and I think Sheryl could have thought about that

Well like it was said before time has passed in between episodes 22 and 23, enough time for her to actually start thinking about the consequences of the V-type virus. The V-type virus is also curable in its early stages. Lest we forget that both Sheryl and Alto are just teenagers and they could have very been caught up in the moment.

So even if we did go with what you said they could have still had sex earlier.
Old 2010-09-24, 21:26   Link #660
justavisitor

I really thought that scene was simple--she was afraid of letting Alto touch her wound...now all of a sudden we talk about showing weakness...anyway you can have your view in it

and in print means it's in the novel?? Well I only watched the TV series lol so I only recognize TV series is the canon...it's like reading Harry Potter and watching Harry Potter in theater are two different things

@wisteria233
I think the scene can be interpreted differently then..it could be a heat in the moment, or better to be safe than sorry...I pick the latter and you are welcome to take the former one XD..but to me, it doesn't quite make sense if they did it...v-type virus should be a bit more serious than a cold...
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Closed Thread