AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-28, 10:19   Link #861
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Oh maggie...if you could only see what I cannot unsee...
I think I lost some brain cells. @_@

Some of them are even saying the movies are not canon due to how vastly different it is compared to the series.
Or that the ending we got in the movie was out of 'fan pressure' and that the real ending will prolly appear in the DVD/BD.
Yes, yes, the seven stages of grief. ^^

Well, I am also one of the people who doesn't like to conflate movie with TV continuity, but in the TV series, it was plain for everybody to see as well.

Anyway, I admire your suicidal urges in reading that board.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:54   Link #862
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Huh...it wasn't all THAT long ago that Sheryl fans were crying and whining and complaining that "market forces" had kept their OTP apart and vowing never to watch Macross again.

How soon we all forget...
Old 2011-02-28, 11:00   Link #863
raile
<3
*Author

Yes yes, all Sheryl fans are horrible.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:01   Link #864
magnuskn

We are, are we not?

Although I must have missed the angry Sheryl fans claiming that they'd never watch Macross again. I guess I was one of the guys who posted one or two messages saying that the ending of the TV series looked rushed and smelled like a marketing decision to me. ^^
Old 2011-02-28, 11:03   Link #865
wisteria233

All I remember wondering was when the end of the tv series was made.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:06   Link #866
solothurn
銀河妖精親衛隊・隊長

@Yot:

There were...? Don't really remember. Sure, I knew lots of people were disappointed but nothing like 'vowing not to watch Macross again'.....or not...? I dunno.

-----

Anyways, delicious tears are delicious.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:07   Link #867
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

All fans are horrible. I'm horrible.

Old 2011-02-28, 11:08   Link #868
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
We are, are we not?

Although I must have missed the angry Sheryl fans claiming that they'd never watch Macross again.
I believe it was Herbert and Justinstrife who vowed never to watch Macross again. Herbert proved to be a man of his his word (even going so far as to pretend he never watched the show in the first place), but Justin reneged on his promise.

I saw a few other people around Random Curiosity and THAT Animeblog posting such things as well, but no one whose names I can recall.

Quote:
I guess I was one of the guys who posted one or two messages saying that the ending of the TV series looked rushed and smelled like a marketing decision to me. ^^
You and a bunch of other people.

Of course, now some of the Ranka shippers are playing a lot of the same cards. I found it pretty damn annoying when the Sheryl shippers did it, and I've discovered that I find it equally annoying when Ranka shippers do it.

But hey, that's me. Fandom mob mentality rubs me the wrong way. So just ignore me...I'll be in the corner weeping over the fact that Nanase only shows up in three scenes in the movie...
Old 2011-02-28, 11:13   Link #869
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

But she owns the joint, right? Right?

Old 2011-02-28, 11:15   Link #870
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
But she owns the joint, right? Right?
It's not much of a spoiler, but just to be safe...

Spoiler for Nanase:
Old 2011-02-28, 11:15   Link #871
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
But hey, that's me. Fandom mob mentality rubs me the wrong way. So just ignore me...I'll be in the corner weeping over the fact that Nanase only shows up in three scenes in the movie...
Were they good scenes, at least? It's three more than in movie one. ^^

And I don't remember at all being part of a "mob mentaility" when it came to my accusations of marketing being responsible.for the TV ending. I got that idea on my own. ^^

Sure, now we know better, but back then the kind-of-worse animation of the final scenes and the general incredulity I was feeling that the creators had ended the show the way they did, did spur some pretty cynical ideas on my part.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:17   Link #872
raile
<3
*Author

Quote:
It's not much of a spoiler, but just to be safe...

Spoiler for Nanase:
Spoiler for Nanase:
Old 2011-02-28, 11:24   Link #873
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Were they good scenes, at least? It's three more than in movie one. ^^

And I don't remember at all being part of a "mob mentaility" when it came to my accusations of marketing being responsible.for the TV ending. I got that idea on my own. ^^

Sure, now we know better, but back then the kind-of-worse animation of the final scenes and the general incredulity I was feeling that the creators had ended the show the way they did, did spur some pretty cynical ideas on my part.
Enh, it's quite possible that a lot of people got the same idea at the same time, or that one or two people got it, mentioned it, and everyone else agreed.

For me, the "mob mentality" really starts when enough people mention it that others take it as fact, and cross-reference each others' posts as "proof."

Which, yes, DID happen with Frontier TV, although I don't remember you being involved in it.

Of course, now (to change the subject) I feel responsible for this "TV end is Yoshino's, Movie end is Kawamori's" nonsense that's floating around and will probably become the NEXT bit of "received wisdom" for the fandom.

The first part? Okay, we know the TV ending was decided on by Yoshino, and although the staff (including Kawamori) weren't convinced, they let him go with it.

But the movie ending? Yoshino co-wrote the script of the movie, and we have NO IDEA what the division of labor was on it, or who came up with what.

Speculation is all well and good, as long as it's CLEARLY LABELLED as such. Everyone on the internet has been burned by that at one time or another, but a large number of people never seem to learn the lesson...

(Sorry if I come across as scolding or condescending here...it's not my intention. It's just that I saw a cavalcade of really dumb things in the fallout of the TV ending, and I see them happening again now, and it's pissing me off...all the more so because people are using (among other things) my posts to justify the madness.)
Old 2011-02-28, 11:30   Link #874
wisteria233

Quote:
You and a bunch of other people.

Of course, now some of the Ranka shippers are playing a lot of the same cards. I found it pretty damn annoying when the Sheryl shippers did it, and I've discovered that I find it equally annoying when Ranka shippers do it.

Thing about it is I don't remember there being just shippers who made that argument. I've seen others who weren't interested in the love triangle note that the last episode was different in tone to the preceding episodes, and were taken aback by the sudden change in tone. The few I talked to blamed the love triangle for it.

Maybe she'll have more scenes in the Blu Ray release. Gotta say though I expected for her to be Ranka's designer.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:38   Link #875
magnuskn

Quote:
(Sorry if I come across as scolding or condescending here...it's not my intention. It's just that I saw a cavalcade of really dumb things in the fallout of the TV ending, and I see them happening again now, and it's pissing me off...all the more so because people are using (among other things) my posts to justify the madness.)
Yeah, we should assign the blame to Yoshmori. Or Kawashino.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:45   Link #876
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Yeah, we should assign the blame to Yoshmori. Or Kawashino.
I blame Basara.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:47   Link #877
magnuskn

Quote:
I blame Basara.
That always works.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:48   Link #878
wisteria233

Quote:
That always works.
you guys are just being unfair.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:51   Link #879
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
you guys are just being unfair.
I still cannot, for the love of HORY FROATING HEAD, figure out why Macrss 7 spawned 49 episodes, half dozen OVAs and made Basara one of the more popular anime characters in the mid 90s (yes, popular, he won polls)...

Of all the heroes blessed by Kawamori, I HATE HIM THE MOST!

- Tak

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2011-02-28 at 12:57.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:54   Link #880
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I still cannot, for the love of HORY FROATING HEAD, figure out why Macrss 7 spawned 49 episodes, half dozen OVAs and made Basara one of the more popular anime characters in the mid 90s (yes, popular, he won polls)...

Of all the heroes blessed by kawamori, I HATE HIM THE MOST!

- Tak
he's not my favorite Kawamori male character either (actually I don't really like him too much) but still.
Closed Thread