AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-20, 15:13   Link #1221
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
That place is hell for bitter people who can't stand being on the losing end.

I am not getting anywhere close to it, not even with a 10 foot pole.
Yep, not worth the loss of 1d10 sanity points when BleachOD begins to rant.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 15:14   Link #1222
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
For Ranka cooking?

Spoiler for picture:


Of course, she storms out before we know how well she cooks.

Tbh, I saw the "bitter cookies" as a metaphor in context to make us feel sorry for Ranka, like Sheryl cutting her finger and looking helplessly moe.

I doubt either girl is a professional chef, though, but they should be able to cook.

But, anyway, this argument is beyond silly. Whoever girl ends up being Hime's Prince, my money is that Alto's going to be the one in the kitchen. After the Vajra crisis is over, Ranka's and Sheryl's superstar agendas are busier than his regular days filled with paperplane folding and flying in the sky.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 15:20   Link #1223
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
But, anyway, this argument is beyond silly. Whoever girl ends up being Hime's Prince, my money is that Alto's going to be the one in the kitchen. After the Vajra crisis is over, Ranka's and Sheryl's superstar agendas are busier than his regular days filled with paperplane folding and flying in the sky.
And I'd say Hime-sama will be okay with this, as long as he gets to fly a plane. He certainly seemed pretty content when he was doing the cooking. Not to mention also very competent, too.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 15:20   Link #1224
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
^^^ Alto never shows that he is against the idea of cooking either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBunny View Post
I don't think she's intentionally trolling. If you've been to that Bleach forum you'd know this is what they truly believe. Though unfortunately, most of the people here seem to discuss the series in a reality and canon based way.
I was told to avoid that forum, because it would just make me stupid.

Quote:
I'm not saying I'm not biased and don't have shipper glasses, but some of this stuff is just beyond anything I've seen in other fandoms with love triangles.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing. Besides what goes on here isn't any worse than the Aerith-->Cloud<--Tifa FFVII love triangle debate. That triangle was also resolved a few years back, and yet the debate rages on.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 15:24   Link #1225
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
What forum are you talking about? It feels like I'm missing something

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
And I'd say Hime-sama will be okay with this, as long as he gets to fly a plane. He certainly seemed pretty content when he was doing the cooking. Not to mention also very competent, too.
I think he'll be OK with it too. Besides flying (and occasionally performing in a concert to get his stage fix?), he can be stay-at-home Hime unless he's called to fight.

I can't picture Ranka or Sheryl giving up their careers to fit a housewife role (Let's not even touch Sheryl who is obvious. Ranka wanted Alto to LISTEN TO HER SONG. Not to eat her food).
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 15:26   Link #1226
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
What forum are you talking about? It feels like I'm missing something
Bleach Asylum as you can see it has a fitting name.

Where I come from you get together with someone because you love themor because they're loaded but that's neither here nor there.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 15:31   Link #1227
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Oh, I signed up in that forum, but never ventured to the Macross F threads...
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 15:37   Link #1228
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Oh, I signed up in that forum, but never ventured to the Macross F threads...
Insanity lurks there. Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Ranka R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Ia! Ia!
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 16:06   Link #1229
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
And I'd say Hime-sama will be okay with this, as long as he gets to fly a plane. He certainly seemed pretty content when he was doing the cooking. Not to mention also very competent, too.
If I were a pilot fighting some war against flying space aliens, I probably would find cooking strangely therapeutic. Heck, taking my time to cook or driving for the hell of it already does this to me. I also love doing the groceries when I'm not rushing it.

Sometimes, it's nice to take it slow and smell the roses. Then again, maybe I'm just weird that way.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 16:07   Link #1230
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
You guys are making me hungry!

Hey cheesie! Can I eat you?

- Tak
__________________
Come join the fun, you know you want to!

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 16:12   Link #1231
ShinyBunny
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
^^^ Alto never shows that he is against the idea of cooking either.
I was told to avoid that forum, because it would just make me stupid.
It makes me laugh.

Quote:
Is that a good thing or a bad thing. Besides what goes on here isn't any worse than the Aerith-->Cloud<--Tifa FFVII love triangle debate. That triangle was also resolved a few years back, and yet the debate rages on.
A bad thing for me... I know there are worse triangles still raging in the world, but I think it's more the sour grapes and rewriting the story to fit their needs that is just frustrating.

For example. Kags think the train ride was really romantic. I don't. That's something we can discuss. This cooking debate or inventing facts isn't worth discussing. I'm very fine with anyone liking any couple, but if you want to bring it up to discuss at least have a firm grasp on the canon of the show. It's very hard to have a rational discussion with anyone if some on the other side seem to have watched a special version not available to normal folks.
ShinyBunny is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 16:30   Link #1232
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBunny View Post
It makes me laugh.



A bad thing for me... I know there are worse triangles still raging in the world, but I think it's more the sour grapes and rewriting the story to fit their needs that is just frustrating.

For example. Kags think the train ride was really romantic. I don't. That's something we can discuss. This cooking debate or inventing facts isn't worth discussing. I'm very fine with anyone liking any couple, but if you want to bring it up to discuss at least have a firm grasp on the canon of the show. It's very hard to have a rational discussion with anyone if some on the other side seem to have watched a special version not available to normal folks.
You know what's funny is that we never usually debate like this, we only started up with this when LoveMeKags came in, and started inventing her own facts, which then lead to people responding. The funny thing is that we've all saw the same show, but the facts that LoveMeKags brings up are things that never happen in series or are never even hinted at. Not that that makes a difference because even when she makes things up, there usually are official books and merchandise, interviews, blogs, or the episode itself etc. that do say the contrary to her made up facts. Many other shows also have supplemental material that do the same thing the only difference may be that the people in those other fandoms never go into that territory, but alas LoveMeKags goes into that territory which then incites a response from someone who decides to correct her.

It dosn't matter anyway as all of her made up facts amount to nothing anyway.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 17:47   Link #1233
Zenithlea
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
@wisteria: Oh well, I usually kind of find it really amusing whenever I venture into this thread with all the debating you guys never used to do. I generally find myself laughing my head off. So, though you say LoveMeKags' facts are very shipper goggled, I always find it interesting to see through someone else's shipper goggled vision (especially when it's someone with a different opinion to mine)

@ShinyBunny: Oh, I agree with you on the train ride, I didn't really get a romantic vibe off it. While I do see LoveMeKags' point on him chasing after Ranka while explaining stuff, (that did sort of have a 'cheater trying to explain' vibe off it) the train didn't strike to same way. In my opinion, they were two close friends especially from Alto's position. While there are some hints of uneasiness on Ranka's side, so it was supposed to be a romantic scene, it was pretty one-sided on Ranka's side in my view. *shrugs*
Zenithlea is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 18:50   Link #1234
darkplataform
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Bleach Asylum as you can see it has a fitting name.
Funny site, but it seems like the old version.
THIS is the current one: forums.bleachboard
__________________
.
darkplataform is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 19:41   Link #1235
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
I shouldn't have clicked on that link.

Sure, we have some zaniness here too, but never has the "spinning eyeballs" emoticon been this apt in practice.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 20:01   Link #1236
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Now I'm afraid to click...

Spoiler for movie spoilers:
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 20:06   Link #1237
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Now I'm afraid to click...
For once, my avatar pic perfectly displays my reaction.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 20:08   Link #1238
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
Funny site, but it seems like the old version.
THIS is the current one: forums.bleachboard
I felt a drop in my I.Q. by reading some of those posts.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 20:10   Link #1239
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
With those reactions, I think it'll best for my sanity if I stayed away. I'm not feeling masochistic enough tonight. Besides, it makes me sad when people get angry or sour over something so insignificant as imaginary couples.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-04-20, 20:15   Link #1240
Irisiel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
All I can say after having read all this is one, I can't turn my back for a second and all this chaos breaks loose?! And two, the arguments LoveMeKags puts forth is pretty much in the spirit of other pro-Alto/Ranka arguments I've seen elsewhere.

Basically, they tend to believe that because Alto was figuring out his gender identity, he needed a hyper-masculine life with a hyper-feminised version of Ranka; Ranka is shorter, more petite, soft spoken, unlikely to say no and so on, and in their second breath they call Sheryl a slut or whore.

The thing is, both girls are career oriented (though I could argue that Ranka might have started too soon; if Alto's paper plane hadn't been there, things could have gone very differently), and their time will be fully booked and with having not just saved Frontier, but Macross City and the other Macross fleets, they are now truly intergalactic songstresses of salvation, there's touring and everything else to consider.

If Alto wants a relationship with either of them, there'll be some massive compromises, because both will be busy.

Just because Ranka is shy around Alto when she does not know his feelings, doesn't mean that she'll become a meek housewife; just watch how she behaves with Ozma, Michael, Elmo and Bobby, that's how she behaves around the ones she likes and is comfortable with, her timidness around Alto is because she wants to make a good impression, and if they got together, and she grew secure with their relationship, she would likely to open up a lot more.

With Sheryl we have the opposite; the less she knows you, the harsher she is. Any celebrity knows that weaknesses multiply with fame, and remember how she was all angry with Alto seeing her boobs and later said that he could fantasise about them? Yes, it was teasing, but it was light teasing after she learned that Alto is awkward, but not a malicious pervert. We then watch as she gradually becomes "softer" (but never losing her edge) as she gets to know everyone better.

Oh, and anyone saying that Ranka's life was worse than Sheryl's is talking out of their ass; born on a colony were hive-minded cyborgs were mandatory (as most supplementary materials seems to say) to parents who are rebelling against said assimilation (wasn't there a manga which said this), have said parents killed/assimilated and left on the streets, picked up by a person who experiments on her, giving her a terminal disease, and then used, and then thrown aside like a used napkin by only parental figure, starts to die, watches as the universe crumbles around her, thinks that the man she loves is with her out of pity and thinks he instead loves her best friend (as I think Ranka would qualify as at that point of the series) and so on.

Unfortunately, the series did not go into greater detail about Sheryl's early life, and what growing up on Galaxy really was like, other than that it had slums and that she hated it (yet still wanted to save it, because it was, after all, home).

At least Ranka got to forget and build a new life until she was old enough to face her tragedies, though I do not want to minimise Ranka's troubles either, but there's a reason why Ranka is more trusting and innocent, and that's because she's been looked after constantly since her birth, first by her family, then by Ozma and SMS as a whole and then by Brera, and then by, well, everyone. The only time a truly malicious person got a hold of her was when Grace became her manager and when Grace captured her.

Oh, and here's the criteria of a good house-spouse:
Is willing to risk their career by putting it on hold to do the chores that no one will laud them for (seriously, there's even feminists who want house-spouses to get some kind of wage, since they are essentially working to enable their working spouses better job opportunities), and to do so by their own free will and be sure that it is what they want.

Likewise, they should consider the pros and cons carefully and discuss the rules at lengths with their partners so that none gets taken advantaged of or left in the wind.

But again, it should be a fully informed choice, yet, it is a choice I don't think either of the girls will consider for a long time.

Alto is more likely to make the choice, simply because with the war over, many soldiers will be seen as redundant, particularly when resources will go towards colonising their new planet. And Alto will have his sky regardless of his military status (in fact, I have a pet theory that Alto might even consider returning to Kabuki now when he has reconciled with his gender identity, got his sky, Frontier is safe and he is no longer intimidated by his father. Would be hilarious to see Yasaburo's face if Alto just shows up and is like "Yo! Dad said that you were doing Sukeroku, do you have Agemaki's script ready?").
__________________
Irisiel is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.