AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-15, 17:06   Link #21
-Sho-
~Omedet˘~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
In my opinion , I think the more people who will be interested will be anime's fan or otaku or people who watch some anime or japan's lover !As here , there are people like that ! So , she could try what she want to do ! (note : here , we aren't all american )
Yeah , she can try it !
After , it will depends on people , and her !
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 17:11   Link #22
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
AnimeSuki is a comparably small subset of Western anime fandom. As I understand, not many of us would mind it, and my guess is that you may achieve a more enthusiastic response from, say, Anime News Network. That site has a larger, more mainstream cut of the fandom.

If she lived in Japan for a considerable amount of time, people would probably want to know about daily life there that's not apparent in the West. Take that one episode in Lucky*Star featuring arcades - she can elaborate more on that one. Many people here have no idea what CalorieMate, kaiseki, and Super Robot Taisen are, nor do they know what kind of snacks there are in Japan (she should know that most American ones are terribly one-dimensional). They may also want a glimpse in what university exam prep (with all the evening study classes) is like, etc.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 03:25   Link #23
MuraKami
Phase Angle
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by koonchu View Post
That's why I suggested that she make a weekly youtube show. Because she'd be able to naturally speak about herself and her hobbies (in Japanese). She'd be able to subtitle it in English for everyone else to understand.
There you go. To register, tag, lurk a bit among anime fandom on YouTube requires an IQ around 70. The rest it up to her
MuraKami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 04:38   Link #24
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by koonchu View Post
She's not interested in making a dime. Maybe bridging the cultural gap and making a few friends.
So why does she need a spokesperson to spread the word?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Most of all, I think her biggest weakness based on this summary would be her confidence.
So moeeeeeeee
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 04:40   Link #25
youdishou
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: China
I think ...
You may make her contracting society more...
youdishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 09:22   Link #26
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia.
Age: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by koonchu View Post
lol, no no. It's not me.

The otaku girl I'm referring to doesn't have a mastery of English. Her English is good, but its very, very Engrish."

That's why I suggested that she make a weekly youtube show. Because she'd be able to naturally speak about herself and her hobbies (in Japanese). She'd be able to subtitle it in English for everyone else to understand.

This is also why starting a blog is not a good idea. It would take her forever to organize her thoughts into words and then translate her Japanese into English. Plus, in all honesty, her writing isn't as good as her Osaka-laced way of speaking.
Flipside, translating from Japanese to English frequently would be a good way to improve her knowledge of the language.
__________________
Zenemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 18:22   Link #27
karasuma
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
I understand she's scared that the anime community would totally reject her, but I don't think so. I think this is a good risk for her to take. Of course, if I see a strong response, I will show her this thread and encourage her to make Animesuki a place she could regularly haunt.
If she understands what US is, it is fail, fail, fail and success!! There is no stigma attached to failure. There is only stigma to being lazy and do nothing.

Look at the current government bailout, none of those banks are embarrassed about their failure. Sometimes, it is nice to have shame attached with epic failure.
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 07:18   Link #28
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Good idea. I need someone to teach me otaku culture in Japan. (Having been in Akiba for just 1 hour lol)
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 14:33   Link #29
mandarb916
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
If she's a Japanese expat, then speaking from experience, be very selective about who she talks to in the Japanese and Japanese-American community. We're a very gossip loving community and if someone finds out about her hobby, then she might have a negative stigma associated with her. This is the main reason I only talk about anime/manga/etc with one or 2 Japanese expats around where I live.

Don't think the anime community would reject her tbh, regardless of what she does.

One thing that interests me is whether or not her parents know about her hobby and the antics associated with it.

At 2ch meetups in Japan, it was interesting to hear about how people went about their lives.

-Recording late night anime, waking up and watching at 5am while everyone else was asleep in the house. We were talking about when CLANNAD was airing a year ago and she mentioned there were quite a few days where she went to class riding a bike while crying like crazy, then being asked at the uni why her cheeks/eyes were red and swollen

-Recieving clothing allowance, going to buy a cosplay outfit, parents /facepalming, then subsequently warning them every time not to buy otaku related items. If she blew her parents off by saying something along the lines of "ok, whatever', they'd goto her closet and pull out the cosplay outfit and scold her

-family meeting after one came back from Comic Market w/ a bunch of BL doujin, etc.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 14:55   Link #30
masterwok
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
well i dont know what she should do but it would be good to see her opinions about different series of anime to help recommend it to others to and expand peoples horizon. well i kind of wish there was a cheap magazine in the usa that has upcoming anime that is sub or dub. so in my opinion she should go with what her heart wants and just do it.
__________________
masterwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 16:51   Link #31
-Sho-
~Omedet˘~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Well , we all knew japanese are the most timid , so its like that !
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 16:56   Link #32
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
Well, perhaps to try to rip of by the fact, that anime isnt only something for people younger age. There are countless of types of series, for every age.
__________________
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 17:00   Link #33
christinemarie
Best Imouto
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pink World
Age: 31
Whatever is she trying to do
Criticized by others is part of our life thus getting more experience and later on be successful. Not everyone have patience and tenacity with criticism so that's important for her to know and realize.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 08:06   Link #34
karasuma
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Geez. Why liking anime is such a stigma in Japan? It is a great product which people enjoy. If it is like a gadget built by Sony, people will be praising non-stop.
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 08:36   Link #35
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
Tell her to focus on the overlooked series' (the not so discussed anime every season) because there is a niche audience out there that just needs a spark to show themselves. Blue ocean strategy my man.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 13:19   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
Geez. Why liking anime is such a stigma in Japan? It is a great product which people enjoy. If it is like a gadget built by Sony, people will be praising non-stop.
You should read up on it.... anime is associated with otaku. Otaku doesn't mean "anime fan", it points to someone who is so obsessed with their hobby that they shutter themselves out of society. It has also been connected in the public mind with a few serial child killers and pervert molesters. I always shudder a bit when a western fan calls themself "otaku" because I don't think they realize how a native Japanese would respond.

Calling yourself otaku in Japan or liking the sort of anime that only comes on after midnight (which 90% of the stuff we Westerners like consists of) -- is an alarm bell of scary with Joe and Jane Public.

This is changing slowly as more and more Japanese teens who are used to anime and don't remember the crime cases grow up (somewhat like being geekish and nerdy used to mean social death for teens in the US).

Some anime is acceptable... like Doraemon, mostly because the parents grew up with that themselves. So basically, assuming more and more anime fans become parents (not a good assumption in Japan at the moment) - anime will become more and more acceptable to the average public there.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 14:51   Link #37
Tofusensei
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Get a job in marketing? I know Funi's webcasts could use a cute girl... Looking at scruffy guys with Grizzly Adams' beards gets old after a while lol

Seriously, that's probably going to do more for her career than any old podcast or video blog.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 15:27   Link #38
mandarb916
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You should read up on it.... anime is associated with otaku. Otaku doesn't mean "anime fan", it points to someone who is so obsessed with their hobby that they shutter themselves out of society. It has also been connected in the public mind with a few serial child killers and pervert molesters. I always shudder a bit when a western fan calls themself "otaku" because I don't think they realize how a native Japanese would respond.
Otaku - obsessed with hobby, yes; cut out from society? in the past yes, now? no.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 15:39   Link #39
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
I think it would be really easy to disprove your point simply by pointing you to the whole Kannagi debacle or the similar incidents of the past year alone...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 16:08   Link #40
mandarb916
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I think it would be really easy to disprove your point simply by pointing you to the whole Kannagi debacle or the similar incidents of the past year alone...
Yes because it's logical to tie the actions of a few with everyone else. The media, moreso in Japan, tend to oversensationalize negative events, even more so than the US. While you do have the stereotypical "obatarian" type house-wife gossipers that will whisper behind your back, most people aren't so stupid as to assume that just because someone is an otaku means that they're also crime material. People might think of you as being an adult children, but it's when you're an otaku and start exhibiting signs of hikikomori that people start associating you with the respective creepy crimes.

If you're socially normal (ie. go out, pay bills, work responsibly, etc) then even if you enjoy anime/manga/games, people might think you're slightly odd but seriously, they won't link you with the Kannagi manga tearing up kook, the Higurashi meme axe murder, etc.

Does that mean I go around telling everyone that I enjoy anime/manga, a lot? no, but if asked, I don't have a necessity to hide it since I can carry a normal conversation and generally don't act differently from the norm.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.