AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-01-19, 16:09   Link #41
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
Otaku - obsessed with hobby, yes; cut out from society? in the past yes, now? no.
Try not to confuse the western misuse of the term with the term "otaku" as it is in Japan. It has gotten a bit better but is still something you don't want to be labeled as if you don't want to be shunned by the larger segment of the japanese public. Most consider "otaku" to be "not of the Body" (to borrow an old Star Trek phrase).
Old 2009-01-19, 17:18   Link #42
BetoJR
D-d-d-d-d-don't!!!
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
Yes because it's logical to tie the actions of a few with everyone else.
And whoever brought logic into this?

I take it you don't live in Japan, do you? Most people outside the fandom (that I personally know of) do consider the average anime/manga fan to be somewhat of an oddity and tend to ostracize the lot of them. No media conspiracy, here - just the way things (still) are. Even more so if the slander "otaku" is brought into the picture.

I mean, why do you think the OP started this thread in the first place? Have you read the whole thing?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 18:12   Link #43
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And whoever brought logic into this?

I take it you don't live in Japan, do you? Most people outside the fandom (that I personally know of) do consider the average anime/manga fan to be somewhat of an oddity and tend to ostracize the lot of them. No media conspiracy, here - just the way things (still) are. Even more so if the slander "otaku" is brought into the picture.

I mean, why do you think the OP started this thread in the first place? Have you read the whole thing?
Native born, native speaking, live in Japan, for 2~6mo out of the year depending on work; went to school for a bit there as well. Also participate in quite a few offline meetups while I'm residing in Japan. Most people I talk with are 20+ (since we go drinking anyways) so while the demographic may or may not be the same as who you (?) interact with, I'm also not making things up.

10 years ago things may have been different...however, currently it's not as bad as most make it out to be. Yes you'll be classified as an oddity, but a lot of that also depends on your social skills. If you act like the pair at Columbine did, then yes you're obviously going to get quite a bit more flak and be branded as a hikikomori otaku.

Yes, I get some teasing from my peers who aren't into the whole anime/manga/game thing. But at the same time, you have to realize people get made fun of quite a bit for being into almost anything; photography, makeup, fashion, cars, winter sports, shoes, etc. It's not as though this particular hobby is singled out by anyone group. The one glaring exception i've seen to this are people who drive Itasha having their cars defaced and what not.

If anything, I probably get a lot more crap for being single and owning a dog, and my life revolving around the dog compared to the amount of crap I get for being an otaku in Japan.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 22:48   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. that comes under the line of "things are changing". It was inevitable given the number of youthful anime fans that many would survive to be adults and some have children.

But seriously though, do you *call* yourself otaku? or do you just call yourself an anime fan? As I understood the word "otaku" - used as slang, it pretty much means obsessive hobbyist to the point of ignoring "normal activities". Is the slang word evolving away from that?

(for those unfamiliar, "otaku" literally translates as "home/house").
Old 2009-01-20, 10:35   Link #45
BetoJR
D-d-d-d-d-don't!!!
*Artist

^^
What Vexx said.
Do you call yourself an otaku, mandarb916? Most japanese people I know (three households of relatives and assorted penpals) tend to cringe when they are associated with the term - even if it doesn't really apply to them.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 13:45   Link #46
mandarb916

I don't go proclaiming to everyone and thing that I'm an otaku. If asked about my hobbies and interests by someone I know reasonably well, then yes...I do say that i'm a manga/ani-ota. I get a strange look for a few moments and a couple of people have asked me if I was joking. However, after the initial novelty wears off, things go back to normal.

I'm also pretty far removed from the stereotype. I dress reasonably well, I live a reasonably successful life with a career I enjoy, and I also have a dog which I raise responsibly, so people generally know by the time that I mention that I'm an otaku that I'm more or less a normal person with more or less a normal life, just with an odd hobby.

Sorry for derailing the thread :|
Old 2009-01-20, 16:03   Link #47
koonchu

Thumbs up

Sigh. Somehow I knew this thread would go this route.
The good thing is that you guys pretty much upheld a longstanding tradition here at AS:
it was a pretty intelligent and thought-provoking de-railing

UPDATE:

So here's an update. She didn't need convincing, lol.
In fact, I never got the chance to show her this thread.
She simply went ahead and did it on her own.

Her site is here: The Kiss-Sui Show!

For the record, it's not me and I had nothing to do with it.
But I guess I'm an encouraging fan, because I thought
she did a darn good job for her first try!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES. I'm here to stay!!

Now how can I convince her to let me guest star?
koonchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 16:58   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh, I'll take a look tonight and see if I have comment

Instant feedback based on first two or three minutes (I'll watch the whole thing later).

1) She needs to script out what she wants to say so there's not so much "thinking" or pauses.
2) Who ever is doing her camera work needs to stop drinking caffeine. Fix the camera in place. Work on the lighting. Subject should be screen-centered more often.
3) Backgrounds ... "Ayumi" needs to be places with interesting backdrop. If she's going to do shots in her room, have her sit in front of her shrine to anime, etc.

Verbal content wasn't bad but didn't watch enough to comment yet. A bit more energy in the delivery would help.

My Speech&Debate coachiness is starting to flare up

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-01-20 at 17:25.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 17:00   Link #49
mandarb916

at work so can't watch the video in its entirety, but the snippets I saw some I could relate to, others I had opposite experiences (being of the opposite sex i'm sure makes a huge difference too). looks interesting, though...will watch the whole thing tonight.
Old 2009-01-20, 17:14   Link #50
cyth
Banned

To be honest, this topic had a pretty loltastic layout, and I'm still not convinced otherwise that it's just a way to promote her show, but the first episode felt sincere, so I'm looking forward to new videos.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 17:32   Link #51
Rembr

- You were right. This is no Magibon. Therefore it'll be better if she did this in first person view.
- She should speak more with energy, with clarity, and/or with a voice with a likeable characteristic.
- The website should have an about page that explains the website's purpose.

I couldn't get past the first few seconds of the video. As an initial attempt, it's not that bad though.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 18:30   Link #52
Shadow Kira01

I am somewhat surprised..

I guess she had her own resolve to begin with.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 21:07   Link #53
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

She needs to lose the glasses. She just doesn't cut it as a meganekko.

That said, agreed with the last few posts, but I got especially intrigued when she went into that spiel about suddenly being unable to express herself when talking in the Japanese language, as opposed to the ease with which she can express herself in English. Add to that what she said about Japanese girls unable to show their "wicked passion" for anime, how they have to predict how others feel....now why is that so? It just fires up the sociological imagination within me.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 21:21   Link #54
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Gurgle. I'll watch the first ep and see...

Actually, very good. That was an interesting perspective on things I wasn't expecting.

And I think she is fine with the glasses :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
- You were right. This is no Magibon. Therefore it'll be better if she did this in first person view.
Spoiler for Opinion on Magibon that may be seen as flamebait:

Last edited by Edgewalker; 2009-01-20 at 22:23.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 05:01   Link #55
MuraKami
Phase Angle

It's not bad for a first episode or try, but the focus is too broad - "I like anime/songs", "I express love for anime", and common sense - "Anime made me learn something about ..." However, I didn't understand what in anime made her feel good, what she sees in anime that supports her so solidly. (I am curious if she sees some kind of proximity b/w the dating routine example and animanga). Perhaps she also might throw some comparisons b/w anime series about hitmen or romantic comedies (for example).
Otherwise, I'd rather view it as some self-help/diary series, which is fine, but not really my kind of thing, and I believe am the wrong address (in many ways) ;}
MuraKami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 13:08   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Had never heard of Magibon before...... now I wish I hadn't

No, Ayumi here has something quite different.... some minor touchups and she'll have a pretty entertaining video blog..... she needs to get more specific about her thoughts though. Much of her language is too ambiguous -->(which particular anime? specific activities? personal experiences, etc.)
Old 2009-01-21, 18:25   Link #57
Shadow Kira01

She sounded rather unnatural. It is as if she was forcing herself to talk about her likes and dislikes. Perhaps, she is shy or perhaps not. Maybe, she is still lacking confidence. It is as if she is afraid of how people would react to her life experiences that are based on animes and mangas.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 19:46   Link #58
LeviathanDarkly
ℳℴℯ❤

It's called fujoshi, not "otaku girl".
LeviathanDarkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 23:55   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviathanDarkly View Post
It's called fujoshi, not "otaku girl".
True but we weren't going to get too pedantic since the thought was communicated clearly enough.
Old 2009-01-24, 08:33   Link #60
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Man, you people from osaka are rough accent wise xD "Honmari?"
/end tokyo elitism.

Maybe this is my fussy translator/fansubbing habits coming to light, but that could have been better translated. The gist was correct, but it was pretty loose. I don't know if people relying on the subs didn't catch her moments of struggling to express her opinions, (ironically, she says it's harder for her to do in her native language than in english because of some of the social stigmas attached in japanese culture, which she hates)
...but it didn't seem to be written to move the english speaking audience. Seeing as she was speaking from her heart without a script, it was riddled with uncertaintly, nostalgia, poignancy that didn't seem to come through subs wise...
(If it was her own translation, then having an english native smooth it out a little to really portray what she wants to communicate would help)
If it was a more factual piece, I'd not be so concerned.
Maybe you guys were able to catch all that regardless anyways as it was, correct me if I'm wrong.

A script will help with structuring topics, but I think she just wants to freestyle it for most part, almost sounds like therapy in which people just ramble their thoughts.

- Agreed on the camera shaking, still is better, especially since the shots switch often anyways between scenes.

Practice makes perfect and she's taken the first step, so all that remains is that she continues, analyses her feedback to benefit her and enjoys it.
Do communicate everyone's thoughts or link her to here if you can koonchu, so she knows how the Asuki lot feel.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote