AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 68 56.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 28.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 10.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.83%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-17, 19:46   Link #101
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo View Post
Its sort of sad, just because its not going as you wish you have a fit. No amount of arguing or badgering is going to change the show. Ether you are going to like it or not and if someone else has a different like or dislike, it does not mean ether of you are right or wrong.
I never said anyone else was wrong, or that I was right, it's just the need to bring up the actual location (Japan) has little to nothing to do with the complaints being brought across (again, primarily focused on pacing and we're losing because of it).

Telling me how Japanese couples act differently then American couples holds no water to explaining why the pacing has been so rushed. And again, even if they didn't want to show such things, I've given the simple sample of body language that would have been more than enough for what we're 'missing'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Seriously, go play the game. You'd love it.

It also does an excellent job of putting the player in Tomoya's position, which I thought was awesome.
I'd probably play the game Tomoyo first, or whatever it is, since she's definitely the character I'm much more interested in, but perhaps I'll take up your offer on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
To be truthful to a more moderate level I'm with Master Chibi in that I'm disappointed in how KyoAni has treated the physical affection between the couple.(Quoting myself, there is a difference between 'just a little', and 'subtle' and 'plain nothing', 'nada' and non existent.) I still see one or two ways in which they could fix this, but somehow I don't see it coming. Aw well.
Again, it's not a surprise that I'm going overboard with my literary antics here, but things have been pretty damn dry, so I'm glad someone else sees eye to eye with me on that matter.

__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 20:49   Link #102
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Egads, Master Chibi managed to convince someone? What is the world coming to?

I'm actually taking a post-grad course in Creative Writing, and I have mentioned before that, in all reason by virtue of my degree (Comm Arts with focus on Written Communication) I should be complaining as much as he is. 'Show, don't tell' has always been a mantra my professor drilled into me, and CLANNAD is doing none of the former, and relying on indirect hints for the latter.

And yet I'm not complaining. Call me weird, but I think that, had KyoAni bit the bullet and tried their hands at animating PDA, the feel of the show would be different. It wouldn't so idealized, for one.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 21:24   Link #103
Ottocycle
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 28
Why I think the culture argument holds water: The intended audience gets more implications that the creators are intending to bring out, in contrast to us. That's all I'm trying to say. If we don't get the implications, it's not their fault, this thing has no chance of airing on Western TV anyway.

I kinda agree that its kind of weird of them not even showing a single kiss though. One would be enough, IMO. But I guess beggars can't be choosers.
Ottocycle is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 21:49   Link #104
RandomFlameStrike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Well, I do agree a little bit with Chibi here. The paceing does seem wierd to me since I've played the game and I keep seeing a bunch of stuff cut out XD, however my love for Clannad is too great for me to really get mad at such things.

Well, I'd also recommend Chibi to play the game. There's some really awesome Tomoyo content, and There are tons of moments where Nagisa x Tomoya show just the kind of physical intimacy that Chibi would like. They go from first names, to holding hands, to kissing, to hugging, and it doesn't seem as fast when they get the bomb. Although it was still just as surprising x.x
In between all the "OMG CLANNAD IS AWESOME" going around in my head I also get some "*sigh* why'd they have to skip that, oh well...." I have a beggers can't be choosers attitude to this though haha.
__________________
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1610/tomoyoop4.jpg
RandomFlameStrike is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 22:01   Link #105
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Uh...

I just won't go here. Someone will get offended somehow.
.... What? Do you really believe there are real-world newlywed couples (Not in arranged marriages) anywhere in the world that you wouldn't be expected to be sexually intimate after marrying? Yes there are differences between cultures, this however is something that's universal. Even Akio before it was confirmed jokingly brought it up ("She might already be pregnant!").

Quote:
The location is relevant because the culture is drastically different, until you believe US culture is the norm (which is absolutely not).

Japanese are known to be extremely prude, and you don't see much active sex activities in a conjugal situation (the demography is aging very badly recently).
Of course, you do have "normal couples", but there are a lot of couples that can't even have sex more than once a month or something.
That applies as well for intimate and affection etc (remember folks: you don't kiss right in the open in Japan. You don't even talk about your girlfriend/boyfriend etc openly etc).

So please remove the idea that "the vision of a couple" you have must be applied in a fiction, especially if it is based on some totally different culture.
We seem to be having a misunderstanding here, I can and have accepted the idea that these characters might be wary of public displays of affection, all I'm concerned with talking about here is how they behave in private. And yes, older couples don't have sex as often as younger ones (This too is not unique to any culture). At it's core marriage is an agreement to have sex with one person and only that person, even in Japan. I guess you could use her condition as an excuse for why they might not be intimate if you wanted but in any other situation where both parties are capable, healthy I'd think that if they weren't having sex something was wrong in their relationship.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 22:08   Link #106
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I noticed that they have not shown a certain kiss scene yet. I have noticed too, that affection in Japan is very non displayed to just simply holding hands in public. But behind closed doors or if the were alone maybe we could see a small kiss.
Leo_Otaku is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 22:14   Link #107
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
I'm personally somewhere in the middle somewhere. I find it much more difficult for a story, much more an animated one, to imply and reflect physical affection without even showing it. The ability to imply that there is something in there that runs deep and true, without actually showing it, but proving to the viewer that it does exist is hard in any medium.

That said, they did cut out a few from the game, most notably the kissing scene. A personal romantic bias on my part, but I'd also like to see some of the scenes animated. The pacing did rush a few things in this episode, the gap between sex and actual conception and implantation of an ovum can go for a bit over a week. While I really enjoyed them holding hands in their sleep, we really COULD use a more intimate scene or two.

But of course, considering the events that would happen 2-3 episodes from now, I have an inkling that the studio will give us something, at least one.
MeoTwister5 is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 22:16   Link #108
Eddward
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sweden
Send a message via MSN to Eddward
Just giving my opinion here.

Spoiler for pew pew spoiler:
Eddward is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 22:19   Link #109
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
That said, they did cut out a few from the game, most notably the kissing scene. A personal romantic bias on my part, but I'd also like to see some of the scenes animated. The pacing did rush a few things in this episode, the gap between sex and actual conception and implantation of an ovum can go for a bit over a week. While I really enjoyed them holding hands in their sleep, we really COULD use a more intimate scene or two.
Um. This episode took place from about April to June...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 22:23   Link #110
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
I'm almost pretty sure the calendar in the game was off at this point. Then again I don't think there was a calendar in the GUI during much of the entire After Story...

Edit - Yeah I just checked, no calendar where it was in the School arcs. I don't know why they actually removed it in the first place, sort of reduced the presence of time in the game.

Also yeah the kissing scene was a premarital event, but my point is that it could be done pretty much anytime after the School Arcs at is was... bah it's a spoiler, but it can be inserted anytime during AS as it was something of an independent event.
MeoTwister5 is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 22:38   Link #111
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina, Canada
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Seriously, go play the game. You'd love it.

It also does an excellent job of putting the player in Tomoya's position, which I thought was awesome.
Question about that, Where do you get the game and is it in english or subbed in english? I would LOVE to play through the game...
Rice_slayer is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 23:02   Link #112
TenkenXD
The Terror of Death
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: behind you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice_slayer View Post
Question about that, Where do you get the game and is it in english or subbed in english? I would LOVE to play through the game...
i got it from animea if you're interested though it's a real pain in the arse to dl and patch it without it freaking out and then u have to re-dl everything. In the end i think it's totally worth it
__________________
Have you seen Tri-Edge?

11/12/08: Bought Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World at 6:18 P.M.
11/14/08: Finished Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World at 2:21 P.M.

Anything else...?
TenkenXD is offline  
Old 2009-01-17, 23:05   Link #113
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Time for a little Social Psychology.

According to Robert Sternburg's triangular theory of love*, love within the context of interpersonal relationships are characterized by three different factors;

Intimacy - feelings of closeness, connectedness, and bondedness.
Passion - drives that leads to romance, physical attraction, and sexual consummation
Commitment - the decision to remain with another in the short term, and the shared achievements and plans made with that other in the long term.

The “type” of love a couple experiences depends on the strengths of these factors relative to each other. In the case of the Okazakis, their relationship may be categorized as companionate love, which "is an intimate, non-passionate type of love that is stronger than friendship because of the element of long-term commitment. Sexual desire is not an element of companionate love. This type of love is often found in marriages in which the passion has gone out of the relationship but a deep affection and commitment remain."

Considering that the Okazakis were shown as not particularly "physical" to begin with, I'd dare say what they have is this form of love, instead of the "impossibility" that a few others here see it as. Of course, I'd dare say just one or two scenes of them hugging or kissing wouldn't hurt either....although I like to think of it this way; give the two some privacy, lol.

* Sternberg, R. J. (1988). The Triangle of Love: Intimacy, Passion, Commitment. New York: Basic Books. ISBN 0-465-08746-9.
Ascaloth is online now  
Old 2009-01-17, 23:33   Link #114
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Hmm... companionate love is normally a stage matured relationships go through, It is also often found in deep friendships, and, like the article says, in true family relationships. However it would be a little surreal to ask that type of relationship considering what we have seen from the Okazaki's. . Chemically speaking, love between a male and a female in its early stages is nothing more than the byproduct of high levels of testosterone . Namely physical attraction. Completely excluding this factor is what you'd expect from pastoral poetry, not from magical realism.

As such, I doubt you will be able to explain their behavior through real life sociology and psychology. Note, I am not saying that it is not companionate love, because it is. I am not challenging that. What I am questioning is the context and its subsequent conclusion we are being presented with.. Given the development the characters have been given, the result we have seen through the Anime is not what one would expect from the genre the series has established into. It should NOT be companionate love. In truth, it is little more than the animation studio own take of the story. Artistic license.
Proto is offline  
Old 2009-01-18, 00:40   Link #115
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
One of my psychology professors used to say that despite the advances in the field, psychology will never ever truly explain the intricacies of the human mind and human relationships.

Not to say that it is useless, but it might be incorrect and maybe unfair to simply categorize human mental process and behavior to certain labels.

And yes there is a biological basis for intimacy and love as reflected by increases in neurotransmitters and androgen hormones, but medical science has yet yo explain a biochemical basis for love beyond a physiological response. Love seems to exist and reflect even when homeostasis is the same for everyone else, and medicine might never fully explain this.
MeoTwister5 is offline  
Old 2009-01-18, 01:51   Link #116
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Interesting psych discussion going on regarding the nature of Tomoya's and Nagisa's relationship -- I haven't watched this ep yet, but I've heard enough about the bombshell to go o.O myself many times over.

...Still can't quite believe it. Wonder if that'll change after I watch the ep? XD
__________________
jennkei is offline  
Old 2009-01-18, 03:24   Link #117
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
.... What? Do you really believe there are real-world newlywed couples (Not in arranged marriages) anywhere in the world that you wouldn't be expected to be sexually intimate after marrying? Yes there are differences between cultures, this however is something that's universal. Even Akio before it was confirmed jokingly brought it up ("She might already be pregnant!").
That wasn't what I meant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm almost pretty sure the calendar in the game was off at this point. Then again I don't think there was a calendar in the GUI during much of the entire After Story...
Only during the first little arc.

It turned off during a lot of the other routes too, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice_slayer View Post
Question about that, Where do you get the game and is it in english or subbed in english? I would LOVE to play through the game...
Game can be found on any site that'll import from Japan... you might have to jump through a few hoops to find a translation and voice patch. Google is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Time for a little Social Psychology.

According to Robert Sternburg's triangular theory of love*, love within the context of interpersonal relationships are characterized by three different factors;

Intimacy - feelings of closeness, connectedness, and bondedness.
Passion - drives that leads to romance, physical attraction, and sexual consummation
Commitment - the decision to remain with another in the short term, and the shared achievements and plans made with that other in the long term.

The “type” of love a couple experiences depends on the strengths of these factors relative to each other. In the case of the Okazakis, their relationship may be categorized as companionate love, which "is an intimate, non-passionate type of love that is stronger than friendship because of the element of long-term commitment. Sexual desire is not an element of companionate love. This type of love is often found in marriages in which the passion has gone out of the relationship but a deep affection and commitment remain."

Considering that the Okazakis were shown as not particularly "physical" to begin with, I'd dare say what they have is this form of love, instead of the "impossibility" that a few others here see it as. Of course, I'd dare say just one or two scenes of them hugging or kissing wouldn't hurt either....although I like to think of it this way; give the two some privacy, lol.

* Sternberg, R. J. (1988). The Triangle of Love: Intimacy, Passion, Commitment. New York: Basic Books. ISBN 0-465-08746-9.
You sound like my textbooks. That's kind of scary.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-18, 04:37   Link #118
GLH
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Just watched the episode.

First of all, Akio needs his own show. When it come to being serious and advancing the story (i.e. The way he acted at the end of Nagisa's arc during the first season) he leaves much to be desired, but when he's purely there for comedy, he's gold!

Also, lol @ the defending of Tomoya and Nagisa's underdeveloped and rushed relationship. I love all the psychology discussion and trying to defend their relationship by practically claiming their relationship is so innocent and pure that we don't need to see anything intimate.

The fact is, Naisa may be shy, but she does crave physical intimacy. Even if it's only holding hands, she shows that she wants to be closer to Tomoya. Whether the show shows it or not, one can infer that she wants to take it further than that. On the other hand, Tomoya is a guy. He has his awesome relationship with his High School sweetheart, but he's still a guy and still wants some. Culture is irrelevant. KyoAni could have at least dropped some hints.

My biggest problem, however, remains to be the pacing. Let me put it this way. In the last 5 episodes Tomoya finished his final year of High School, worked at the bakery, moved out into his own apartment, got another job, supported Nagisa as she endured another year of school, dealt with his Dad's latest issue, listened to Yusuke's past, proposed to Nagisa, got Akio's blessing, held a graduation type ceremony for Nagisa, made their marriage official, moved Nagisa in, watched Nagisa get herself a job, and finally got Nagisa pregnant. I'm not sure of the timeline but it has to be around 2 total years from Tomoya graduating to Nagisa getting pregnant right? On the other hand, from episodes 4-9, the same amount of episodes as my previous example, we were pretty much treated with Fuko basically creating wedding invitations, attending a fake class led by Sanae, and attending her sister's wedding. All over a very short amount of time.

Do the events in those two examples deserve the same amount of screen time? I don't think so. You could probably say the same when comparing it to Kotomi's arc. It just seems like KyoAni didn't think things through well. Or they're just nuts and believe carving starfish is worth as much time as Tomoya and Nagisa entering adulthood and starting their lives/family together. You know, the relationship that is supposed to be the meat of the story!

No matter how the series finishes, I'll always look at Clannad as wasted potential. From both the original story creators, Key, and the animators, KyoAni. Both groups were coming off similar efforts with their previous works (i.e. Air & Kanon), yet both seemed to lose focus along the way. Shame really, like I said, there was a lot of potential here.

P.S. Anyone who bashed the Yuuichi/Ayu relationship/kiss better not be defending the development of this relationship!
GLH is offline  
Old 2009-01-18, 05:11   Link #119
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
God, am I in an alternate universe or something?

People not only agree with me, they have problems with the same things I do?

I need to sit down.

__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-01-18, 05:29   Link #120
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH View Post
Just watched the episode.

First of all, Akio needs his own show. When it come to being serious and advancing the story (i.e. The way he acted at the end of Nagisa's arc during the first season) he leaves much to be desired, but when he's purely there for comedy, he's gold!

Also, lol @ the defending of Tomoya and Nagisa's underdeveloped and rushed relationship. I love all the psychology discussion and trying to defend their relationship by practically claiming their relationship is so innocent and pure that we don't need to see anything intimate.

The fact is, Naisa may be shy, but she does crave physical intimacy. Even if it's only holding hands, she shows that she wants to be closer to Tomoya. Whether the show shows it or not, one can infer that she wants to take it further than that. On the other hand, Tomoya is a guy. He has his awesome relationship with his High School sweetheart, but he's still a guy and still wants some. Culture is irrelevant. KyoAni could have at least dropped some hints.

My biggest problem, however, remains to be the pacing. Let me put it this way. In the last 5 episodes Tomoya finished his final year of High School, worked at the bakery, moved out into his own apartment, got another job, supported Nagisa as she endured another year of school, dealt with his Dad's latest issue, listened to Yusuke's past, proposed to Nagisa, got Akio's blessing, held a graduation type ceremony for Nagisa, made their marriage official, moved Nagisa in, watched Nagisa get herself a job, and finally got Nagisa pregnant. I'm not sure of the timeline but it has to be around 2 total years from Tomoya graduating to Nagisa getting pregnant right? On the other hand, from episodes 4-9, the same amount of episodes as my previous example, we were pretty much treated with Fuko basically creating wedding invitations, attending a fake class led by Sanae, and attending her sister's wedding. All over a very short amount of time.

Do the events in those two examples deserve the same amount of screen time? I don't think so. You could probably say the same when comparing it to Kotomi's arc. It just seems like KyoAni didn't think things through well. Or they're just nuts and believe carving starfish is worth as much time as Tomoya and Nagisa entering adulthood and starting their lives/family together. You know, the relationship that is supposed to be the meat of the story!

No matter how the series finishes, I'll always look at Clannad as wasted potential. From both the original story creators, Key, and the animators, KyoAni. Both groups were coming off similar efforts with their previous works (i.e. Air & Kanon), yet both seemed to lose focus along the way. Shame really, like I said, there was a lot of potential here.

P.S. Anyone who bashed the Yuuichi/Ayu relationship/kiss better not be defending the development of this relationship!
I really hope you've played Clannad before you make statements like that...

After Story, the game's After Story, is paced similar to this, i.e. much faster than the School Life routes. Probably because a lot less happens in Tomoya's day to day life.

KyoAni is just following the game, although they are still cutting out a lot... but that has nothing to do with the pacing of the story.

There really isn't any other way they can do it...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.