AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-01-21, 22:49   Link #1
bigsocce

What good unlicensed anime (out for 1 year or more) should Crunchyroll try to get?

What good unlicensed anime (out for 1 year or more) should Crunchyroll try to get?
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 12:30   Link #2
einhorn303

Well, since they already carried (along with BOST) Strike Witches season 1, I think it's quite likely that they'll have the soon-to-be-announced Strike Witches season 2 as well.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 13:27   Link #3
tyrionlannister

Akagi and Kaiji.
One of the most suspenseful series I've ever seen, with excellent music and a great plot. Only negative in my view is the art style, which takes a bit getting used to, because of the very sharp lines and the thick outlines.
tyrionlannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 20:13   Link #4
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrionlannister View Post
Akagi and Kaiji.
One of the most suspenseful series I've ever seen, with excellent music and a great plot. Only negative in my view is the art style, which takes a bit getting used to, because of the very sharp lines and the thick outlines.
Kaiji is already on another legal anime streaming site, though. (Joost)
http://www.animenews.biz/nippon-tv-d...se-comedy-260/
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 11:56   Link #5
tyrionlannister

Well, I went to the Joost site and there's no Kaiji, there's some Ikkitousen S1 and Gun Frontier. So, either they removed it or the deal didn't go through.
tyrionlannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 12:37   Link #6
bayoab

Joost is divided by region. Kaiji and Buzzer Beater are only available on the US version.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 09:34   Link #7
bigsocce

http://animesuki.com/series.php

Just looking at that list and these anime are VERY GOOD and NOT LICENSED.

Finished airing more than a year ago:

Aishiteruze Baby
Denno Coil
ef - a tale of memories
Hidamari Sketch
Honey & Clover II
Kekkaishi
Lovely Complex
Minami-ke
Mononoke
Monster
Myself; Yourself
Nodame Cantabile
REC
Seto no Hanayome
Yakitate!! Japan

Finished airing a while ago (not 1 year yet)

Detroit Metal City
Kure-nai
Macross Frontier

From this article, not a lot of anime will get licensed anytime soon. Some DVD only sold less than 400 copies nationwide (USA). Would love to see some of the above anime on crunchyroll. The 720p picture quality is AMAZING. With more quality anime on board, crunchyroll will get more subscribers. Already at 10,000 right now.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ad-to-survival
TV Tokyo's Iwata Discusses Anime's 'Road to Survival'

Quote:
Even the Cartoon Network in America withdrew Japanese animation almost across-the-board during prime time. Cartoon Network
restored some anime on the Adult Swim programming block for otaku 14 years old or older, but reportedly no longer anticipates another hit on the level of Pokémon or Naruto. The DVD marketplace also became more difficult as some titles sold less than 400 copies nationwide.

TV Tokyo began putting its "strongest media content" such as Naruto and Gintama on the Crunchyroll video-sharing website in America within one hour of the Japanese broadcast. For that early viewing service, the site has signed up over 10,000 subscribers at about US$7 a month in about a month. By comparison, it took TV Tokyo's AT-X channel a decade to reach 10,000 subscribers. A Naruto episode receives an average of 160,000 accesses on three sites when it streams for free, a week after the Japanese broadcast. According to Iwata, the main purposes of the service are not just the revenues from fees and advertising, but also the counterweight it provides against unauthorized fansub distribution.
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 11:20   Link #8
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

As much as I love some of those shows, I see no reason to assume that picking up any of them would necessarily be more profitable for Crunchyroll than regular DVD distributors, and I doubt they have the revenue stream necessary to pick up a lot of licenses, either. Also, the main reason why Macross F remains unlicensed is a dispute as to who own the rights to sell a US license for it, IIRC.

That said, I'd really love to see someone put out good quality (350MB+, cleaned up animation, DRM free, etc.) 720P downloads. There's quite a few shows where I'd pay $2 an episode for this - going up to $3, $4, possibly even more for certain favourites like Kurenai and EF. I can't afford to do it for every show I watch though, which is why you need some sort of good quality sampling system.

(I do have to take issue with Crunchyroll's 720P stuff being good quality, though. From the sample, it's quite a ways behind HD fansubs quality wise.)
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote