AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-01-26, 13:51   Link #21
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

If you consider of which people the jury consists of. Everyone who got an oscar basically gets an invitation for taking part in the jury. Usually after they endet their carreer. Now just imagine how old most of the jury members are.
Since the choice of movies is determined more by the old semesters, I am not really surprised by the outcome.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 14:19   Link #22
james0246

^Added to that, the majority of voters are in fact technicians (Computer Graphics designers, Prop Boys, Camera men, etc) that will, in general, vote for the movies that are constructed well (these are the people that saw to it that "Lord of the Rings" and "Titanic" won for Best Picture as well as many other beautifully constructed (if sometimes dull) films win).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 19:49   Link #23
StoneCloud

Well I'm glad Lord of the Rings won, I mean it is probably one of the greatest films ever created.

Regardless of how old the actors are Gran Torino should have still gotten a nomination. I mean if everyone is old then why wouldn't they vote for a film about an old guy??? I mean that would just make sense. But then again they rarely ever make sensible decisions
StoneCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 21:12   Link #24
james0246

^I think the main problem with "Gran Torino" receiving an acting nomination (I doubt the film would have ever received a directing or screenplay nomination) was the fact that Eastwood was, in many respects, simply playing a retired Harold "Dirty Harry" Callahan (obviously over-familiarity also had something to do with the lack of a nomination). So, Eastwood was effectively playing a character that has been around since 1971, and has become his trademark persona throughout the years.

This is not a criticism of Eastwood's performance. In fact, I can't help but feel "Gran Torino" is an emotionally effective epilogue to the "Dirty Harry" series (or at least the character-type/archetype that ol' Harry represented). Rather, this is a possible explanation (one of many) as to why the voters passed over the stirring performance of Eastwood in "Gran Torino" for Brad Pitt's difficult but ultimately sloppy performance in "Benjamin Button" (I have no real problem with the other nominees, but I do find the inclusion of Brad Pitt to be a bit silly).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 17:55   Link #25
typhonsentra

Also all the performances besides Clint's weren't too hot. Remember when the kid gets locked in the basement? He had his moments in the movie but that scene was baaaad.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote