AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-21, 05:19   Link #261
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Don't you mean Helm's Deep was like this?
heh, funny thing is, I think Guin's Saga's depiction of a massive fantasy warfare probably is one of the most convincing ones I've ever seen in an anime. I guess the newage CGI effects helps, and Satelight is notorious with the computer graphics usage in their shows.

Still strange that Guin shows up with all sorts of contraptions and the sageness of a wizard (sorta like a mix between Aragorn and Gandalf!) and he just exudes kingliness.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 06:30   Link #262
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
heh, funny thing is, I think Guin's Saga's depiction of a massive fantasy warfare probably is one of the most convincing ones I've ever seen in an anime. :
It was the clash between two battle doctrines. One being old fashioned charge en masse, the other being closer to guerilla and used its knowledge of the terrain to its advantage. Whereas, in other shows, we would have seen the inferior force holding its ground, losing while looking like deers, or winning through HOTBLOOD and COURAGE, Guin have tried something different. And if you are asking me, I liked it.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 06:50   Link #263
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

huh. I thought I was late to the party again, but it seems like no one's talking about 8 yet.

Spoiler for episode 8 impressions:
mageormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 07:01   Link #264
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

It was a good episode for fleshing out the characters. Remus gaining a bit of confidence from doing a arrowhead right was a nice sight.
Old 2009-05-26, 20:43   Link #265
sb075

The novel author passed away on May 26, according to her husband...

http://mixi.jp/view_diary.pl?id=1164...wner_id=393960

いまおか 2009年05月27日 00:29
私の奥さんの回復を祈ってくださったみなさま、ほんとうにありがとうございました。
しかしながら、26日の夕刻、私の奥さんは他界してしまいました。
いまは、これ以上なんと書いてよいかもわかりませんので、これで失礼させていただきます。
sb075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 21:06   Link #266
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Damn. That sucks. At least she was able to leave quite the legacy behind as far as being a prolific writer. Many writers who undertake the enormous task of writing epic fantasy stories never end up being able to see the story through due to age or sickness. I don't know if Guin Saga was ever finished but damn she sure was able to put out a hell of a lot of material.
Old 2009-05-26, 22:07   Link #267
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
I don't know if Guin Saga was ever finished but damn she sure was able to put out a hell of a lot of material.
No, it's not finished!!

Goddamnit, first Robert Jordan and now this.
The last volume was 126, and it was nowhere near the end.
I hope she left some material people could get the whole idea of, and not have everything stored in her head....
so it could finish by another author, much like Wheel of Time.

Very sad day for fantasy fans...
Old 2009-05-26, 22:47   Link #268
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

RIP Kaoru Kurimoto. At the very least, we can still celebrate her legacy and the great art she left behind.

This is on my watch list, and it's not bad of a series. I just wish 7 and 8 would hurry up and get subbed (is it me or are all subbers slowing down? They used to be faster at the beginning of the season -- not that I'm ungrateful).

I find Rinda rather bland. It's tough because when you start out with a character who has so much composure and really has nothing to prove -- where can character development play a role? It's like Angelique all over again -- please, stop looking at me with your delicate mauve eyes! LOL

Aside from that, I love the setting and animation (pure candy for the eyes) and the story undoubtedly has drawn me in.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 23:13   Link #269
Green²
It's Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb075 View Post

God damn it. >_<

And same before her, other good authors such as Robert E. Howard, which tragically ended in taking his own life. And Kentarō Miura, iDOLM@STER. May they all rest in peace.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 23:20   Link #270
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
God damn it. >_<

And same before her, other good authors such as Robert E. Howard, which tragically ended in taking his own life. And Kentarō Miura, iDOLM@STER. May they all rest in peace.
Whoa, wait, don't kill Miura off.
He's back from his rumored iDOLM@STER vacation, and is doing fine.
Old 2009-05-27, 00:12   Link #271
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

It's sad that she passed away. Well i hope she left some notes on how the series ends. Also don't jinx about Miura fate. I still want see the day Guts has his revenge against Griffin. Now if only somebody would stop Miura obsession with Idolmaster.
Old 2009-05-27, 02:58   Link #272
ipernorris

I've seen episode 7 and I've like it a lot, thanks to that one-man fansubbing team dude!
Anyway I have to point out some flaws in this anime (and in the novels as well, if it follows them closely). While the episode has been spectacular and all it's an entire nonsense, strategically wise: the Monguls are a bunch of idiots, just to begin with. Why? Let's see...
1) why in the hell Amnelis was put in command of an invasion force in a FOREIGN territory? Even stones know that battles in enemy territory are much more difficult than in home territory. So this mission is one of the hardest one, from a military POV and so an EXPERIENCED commander should have been put in charge: Marus is the first candidate.
2) How in the hell Guin got so near to Amnelis? I mean there are fifteen thousands soldiers and Guin slips through them like nothing?
3) Astrias is an idiot: because of his hurt pride several soldiers of his squadroon were killed, included one of his closest friend. This because he rushed off to capture Guin, even after he got his ass handed to our Leopard Warrior!
4) Monguls are retarded racist: they regard the Sems to as "monkeys", clearly believing they're so much superior. Yeah ok, in the meanwhile they got their asses handed to the "monkeys". They don't know the proverb "don't ever underestimate your enemy or it will be your last mistake in this life".
5) The blonde chick, Amnelis, caused several deaths only because she rushed off towards Guin, because he dared to point out the truth. He said "put some cloth on and go slaying men in the ball room of the palace"... AHAHAH!

I think it's enough for the Mongols for now, I think to have demolished them quite throughly...

But I have noticed some flaws in Guin as well: I mean he got the chance to kill Astrias, Marus and Amenlis, but no he preferred playing the good and cool hero? Well I hope this won't bite him back in the future: the proverb I said above applies to Guin himself as well!
I'm referring especially to the sword Guin stole to Marus and threw back at Amnelis, breaking his royal rod. Guin clearly aimed in a way to not hit the princess: well the most logical thing would have been to aim for the kill, since killing the supreme commander would have had a disrupting effect on the enemy troops' morale.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 03:25   Link #273
M.Marangio

Here is an article about the passing away of Kaoru Kurimoto:
http://en.gigazine.net/index.php?/ne...urimoto_kaoru/

May she rest in peace.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 03:29   Link #274
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb075 View Post

A sad decade for all fantasy fans.
Old 2009-05-27, 03:55   Link #275
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Very sad day for fantasy fans indeed. Such shocking news.

I plan to enjoy the anime adaptation all the more now, in memory of her work.
Old 2009-05-27, 05:55   Link #276
Sander RX

May she rest in piece.

Her achievement is a great one.
Sander RX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 05:55   Link #277
scr
my sides are in orbit

This is very sad. May the benevolence of God be upon her. She shall be immortalized by the influence of her works in Japanese fantasy genre.

OTOH, did she name anyone to continue Guin Saga, in the same way of The Silmarillion?
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 05:58   Link #278
Sander RX

I wonder if airing of the Anime adaptation will be affected.
Sander RX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 06:01   Link #279
golthin

wow, people that were following the novel will never know the ending. I feel their pain, It is like me still hoping that there is a sequel for Blood+.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 06:12   Link #280
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
I feel their pain, It is like me still hoping that there is a sequel for Blood+.
It's a bit different. I mean the Blood+ story official finished, and they didn't plan for anymore, where fans of the Guin Saga novel will never be able to follow the original's author's story anymore.

Tags
adventure, fantasy, satelight