AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-05, 18:04   Link #41
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

For anyone who is interested, raws are out. Now, others have to wait for subs. Why do I get the feeling that it is going to be a show that will be subbed by only a few?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 18:08   Link #42
BluWacky
尻の竜

Episode 1

Guin Saga is solid.

I haven't watched any of the other quasi-fantasy shows yet this season, but I think that's all I can really say about it so far. It's a very Western fantasy, at least in the first episode, and it's difficult to really say anything much about the story; the twins get thrown together with Guin, there's a couple of battles, and that's pretty much it. It's hard to get a sense of the characters beyond the obvious - Guin is amnesiac and alternately feral and familial, Rinda is the sensible twin, Remus is pretty feeble but will no doubt grow up over the course of the series etc.

Production values are decent enough - it's clearly a second-tier show for Satelight compared to Basquash, and the character designs and animation have a similar look to their past shows, particularly Aquarion (without the CG!) and the Angeliques; the same flat skintone colouring, the same large eyes, that sort of thing. Hopefully you'll know what I mean when you see it. The action sequences are fast and fluid, but there's nothing particularly standout about the animation or anything.

I guess if you like traditional fantasy you'll probably enjoy Guin Saga. I'm going to give it a few episodes to see how it goes, but there's nothing indicating this will be the stuff of greatness as yet.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 19:26   Link #43
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

A lot of changes from the first chapters of the first book, but nothing that detract from the overall plot. IF Remus annoyed you in the anime, just know that he was as spineless in the book. Lynda is a little better and helped by her precognition power. Guin is as monolithic as your Howardian hero can get with a slight japanese touch. His off-synch dialogue is normal, because it is clearly stated that it is a mask stuck on his head because of an unknown curse.

That being said, while there were some art screw-ups, the sum is overall solid, the scenery is gorgeous and does bring that feeling of "out of there" I usually expect when I read or watch a fantasy work, I couldn't ask for more. The animation is ok, not great but not bad.

The music is icing the cake and help the watcher into immersing in the world and the action.

The first episode was good to me, but what would be of the next episodes? I am not so sure. However, I'll stick around and welcome this fantasy that is my kind of fantasy.

So what Guin Saga is for?

If you have feed your fantasy culture with Moorcock, Howard, Dungeons & Dragons, Lodoss and Berserk, and overall wanted something a bit "western fantasy" in your fantasy anime, you'll be at home.

If you are more Slayers, post FFVII final fantasy, or anything else, or if monolithic heroes like Conan the Barbarian or Kenshiro are repulsive to you, you may pass and move along.
Old 2009-04-05, 22:43   Link #44
Anonidas

First episode kicks ass in anything but the overall animation, guess Satelight is concentrating all their efforts on Basquash!.
Anonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 23:27   Link #45
Child_of_Sierra

The premise isn't very engaging but the setting and characterization (from the little there was) is enough to keep this on my watch list.
Old 2009-04-06, 06:49   Link #46
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

I'll have to say that I went into this with a fairly blank slate, and ended up being very impressed.

Though I love Slayers, I grew up mainly on older fantasy, leaning me more towards the Lodoss/Dungeons and Dragons end of the spectrum. This is right up my alley.

I am happy with the animation level, and Guin is a bad ass ^_^

Granted, my impression of a show has a tendency to be GREATLY enhanced by an excellent soundtrack, so that factors in heavily as well.

The ending was positively beautiful IMO. I want to get my hands on the full version when I get the chance.

Having never read the novels, this is one newbie that is in for the big haul.
mageormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 06:14   Link #47
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mageormike View Post
The ending was positively beautiful IMO. I want to get my hands on the full version when I get the chance.
Best ending I've heard since, well, a long time. I love it.

I'm sold . Even if I didn't understand any dialogues, I loved the first episode. Been a while I didn't see a worthy fantasy anime (erogame adaptations can DIAF imo).
Since I couldn't find any spoilers about the novel, I'm even more intrigued by the plot, the world and the characters. Guin made a big impression on me lol. Those kind of protagonists are rare nowadays. And I didn't find the prince that annoying.

I can't wait for the 2nd episode.
Eurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 10:59   Link #48
thirdlc

As expected of Wakabayashi, the action sequences were pretty good. They reminded me of his works of Naruto. Furthermore no one would not complain about the art stlye since he was not animation director this time. Great. LOL
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 21:08   Link #49
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Send a message via AIM to JamesEdwards
What the heck are you guys smoking?! THIS WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SHOW, PERIOD, THIS SEASON. Guin Saga has totally stolen my manly heart away.

Old 2009-04-09, 07:18   Link #50
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Well I gave in and decided to download the raw, without doubt that means there will be a sub out today when i get home from work. So no worries if you have been waiting for subs.
Old 2009-04-09, 07:46   Link #51
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

After having watched the first episode, I'm not really sure what to make of it...the ED is beautiful, though, I agree. The action was not bad, though I generally don't really care about that -- some of the animation was a bit strange. But somehow I liked the design for the twins....pretty.
Old 2009-04-09, 08:07   Link #52
Child_of_Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
Well I gave in and decided to download the raw, without doubt that means there will be a sub out today when i get home from work. So no worries if you have been waiting for subs.
I actually just finished watching a sub of it before you got your post in

I have to say though that epic sagas are best read/watched when you have a map of the world to help orient you.
Old 2009-04-09, 08:16   Link #53
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
I actually just finished watching a sub of it before you got your post in

I have to say though that epic sagas are best read/watched when you have a map of the world to help orient you.
If you meant the softsub, I cannot download it for some reason. Mediafire seems to time out on me all the fcking time.
Old 2009-04-09, 08:39   Link #54
Child_of_Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
If you meant the softsub, I cannot download it for some reason. Mediafire seems to time out on me all the fcking time.
Don't know what a softsub is but I got my bittorrent link from toshokan.
Old 2009-04-09, 08:51   Link #55
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Since there's an English dub, is the series consider licensed?
Old 2009-04-09, 13:06   Link #56
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Since there's an English dub, is the series consider licensed?
My understanding was that the trailer had an English Dub but not the series itself. Can anyone confirm this or not.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 15:06   Link #57
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
I actually just finished watching a sub of it before you got your post in.
Details, details. Still I'm fairly impressed with myself.

Now if only this new download will speed up.
Old 2009-04-09, 15:07   Link #58
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
My understanding was that the trailer had an English Dub but not the series itself. Can anyone confirm this or not.
As far as I remember, only the trailer was dubbed. Regarding the actual series, it is not dubbed. Or not yet.
Old 2009-04-09, 16:22   Link #59
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

So ya I just watched the first episode and I gotta say that wow I really enjoyed that.

I hope they keep it up with the animation quality, because so far it's been stellar.

There were some things that were slightly different from the books but to me it was perfectly fine and didn't screw things up in any way.

Guin was awesome. Anyone feel like makin a Guin avatar for me? Preferably something to do with the eyes. I'll pay you in cookies ?!?
Old 2009-04-09, 16:40   Link #60
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Now that I have watched it subbed, I can say I appreciated it even more, even if my memories of the books are fragmentary. Other than production values that may fluctuate, the killer will be the number of episodes and the pacing. I seriously hope that 13 episodes as stated by ANN is NOT true. Because seriously, it is what I ENJOY. Perhaps this kind of fantasy is too serious for some people, but I have grown up with it and I loved it, and I still do.

Tags
adventure, fantasy, satelight