AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2010-03-08, 00:50   Link #1
Nikkan

Can't finish games!

Anyone else know of this problem?

I just can't seem to finish of rpgs (particularly Jrppg). It happens at the same spot every time. I'm at the end of the game, maybe 5-10 hours left and I suddenly stop playing. After that I just can't get into it again.
Iíve left Mass Effect, Dragon Age, several Final Fantasy games, Tales of and many more get beaten about 2/3rds of the way through, then I loose interest.

I've also heard about people having the same problem but the other way around, they buy games but never even try them.

Share opinions and stories!
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 01:32   Link #2
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
I usually have a strict policy of not playing any other games until I've at least beaten the main storyline of a game that I have not played before. I used to save right before the final battle and then go back and do whatever else could be done before I fought the boss.

Lately though due to just a large increase of my interests and less free time due to having a job as well as personal stuff, I don't usually 100% games anymore and usually just stop playing them after I beat the final boss and see the ending.

For some examples, I never actually finished Tales of Legendia, because the last part of the game in the warped world or wherever it was was too difficult for me. So I just got fed up and quit. Also I never finished Final Fantasy XII or Final Fantasy VII when I played them either. Didn't like the battle system and gave up on them pretty early on.

But besides that, I figure, why buy a game if you're not planning on beating it and/or replaying it in the future?

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2010-03-08 at 02:14.
SilverSyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 01:34   Link #3
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumii-chan View Post
Anyone else know of this problem?

I just can't seem to finish of rpgs (particularly Jrppg). It happens at the same spot every time. I'm at the end of the game, maybe 5-10 hours left and I suddenly stop playing. After that I just can't get into it again.
Iíve left Mass Effect, Dragon Age, several Final Fantasy games, Tales of and many more get beaten about 2/3rds of the way through, then I loose interest.

I've also heard about people having the same problem but the other way around, they buy games but never even try them.

Share opinions and stories!
Let me guess, you are at the point close to the final dungeon and you are trying to power up and maybe clear all the sidequest and got bored/distracted and etc.

I had some of that before, but sorta got over it by not bothering with the side quest when it starts to bore me and went ahead to atleast see the ending.

For me, i usually stop playing 1/3 of the way.
Old 2010-03-08, 01:35   Link #4
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
there was a article about how JRPG's are dead now but it could just be a personal problem.

Some games can get so repeative to the point i just look up the cutscenes and ending. thus why i only buy games like Fallout 3, Oblivion and MMORPG's or game series like Armored Core and Devil may cry.
Old 2010-03-08, 01:43   Link #5
Xacual
The color of a Hero

Honestly I have had it happen a lot of times where I'll over play a game get bored and basically come back to it and finish it at a later time. Most recent examples being Dragon Age which I couldn't get past 10-12 hours in because of the massive cutscene time.

Like a few years ago when I didn't have the net for a month or two I ended up beating 10-15 games I had from years back neglected at various points.
Old 2010-03-08, 02:12   Link #6
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

TBH, I feel that MMO's killed a lot of games for me. I find myself buying a game, playing it for a while, then I jump on WoW or whatever and promptly forgot about the game I purchased. Or I keep telling myself that I'll get back to it in a couple hours... or tomorrow and it completely slips my mind and I end up doing other things. I tend to get near the end of games though, just.. can't quite get that last stretch, and I thoroughly blame MMO's!
Old 2010-03-08, 02:17   Link #7
Xacual
The color of a Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
TBH, I feel that MMO's killed a lot of games for me. I find myself buying a game, playing it for a while, then I jump on WoW or whatever and promptly forgot about the game I purchased. Or I keep telling myself that I'll get back to it in a couple hours... or tomorrow and it completely slips my mind and I end up doing other things. I tend to get near the end of games though, just.. can't quite get that last stretch, and I thoroughly blame MMO's!
I guess I could say that's my other problem, it is a rare game that pulls me away from WoW for longer than a week or two.
Old 2010-03-08, 03:29   Link #8
Ithekro
Space Battleship

Stupid addiction... I've not been playing many other games aside from WoW this last year.

CATA will make it worse...because I want to see that.
Old 2010-03-08, 04:02   Link #9
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I thoroughly blame MMO's!
At first I was like that too, thinking every other game is a "waste of time", but in the end I managed to quit an MMO for a few months, plug back my trusty PS2 and burn my brain cells there. When I get bored I just switch
On the matter of RPGs: I always take the short route to finish the game, cba doing side quests etc. because the game's like a book/movie: once I start, I gotta finish the story first At new game+ I'll take my time killing everything, completing bestiaries, unlocking hidden maps/equips/summons/whatever and perhaps get a different ending too. I just don't feel like there's many good RPGs out there for me atm.
Old 2010-03-08, 05:11   Link #10
Dorfl

Not all games are worth finishing. I finish approximately 90% of all games I pick up, so if there's a game I just can't bring myself to finish (Shadow Hearts, Saga 2, FF3-7), I know it's not me, it's the game. The game should make me want to finish it, otherwise it's not a game any more, it's a chore.
Old 2010-03-08, 08:59   Link #11
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

I almost always finish a game I start unless it's absolutely terrible (Lair, Wreckless, etc). Occasionally with RPGs I do feel my interest starting to wane right before the end if I've been doing too many sidequests and haven't done anything story-wise for a while, but when I feel that start to happen I just drop whatever else I was doing in the game and head for the final dungeon. Ironically, a recent game was one of the few instances where I meticulously completed every sidequest before finishing just because it was so much fun, and this directly led to the death of numerous secondary characters (people who have played it will obviously know what I'm referring to). Oops.

On the opposite side I've almost taken a break from a couple games just before the final dungeon because I liked them enough that I didn't want them to end. I actually have done this with a couple anime series. It's pretty silly and irrational ("this is a great anime/game so I can't watch/play it") but meh. At least it gives me something to look forward to, heh.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 09:14   Link #12
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
I know someone like you TC, the reason is simple, you don't want the game to end so you stall and focus on other games or things to do outside or in the game instead. This problem is MAINLY common is long games like RPGs.

"I've spent so many hours on this game, and the end of the game is near.....I don't want it to end yet...."

I agree though why bother BUYING a game if you have no interest in even finishing? I think every game is worth finishing just to see how the story ends as long as the game play isn't revolting enough to stop me from wanting to finish.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment

Last edited by DingoEnderZOE2; 2010-03-08 at 09:29.
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 09:38   Link #13
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I agree, mmo's sometimes make me forget cetain games like darksiders and bayonetta, cept I actually enjoyed darksiders
Old 2010-03-08, 09:49   Link #14
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
The game should make me want to finish it, otherwise it's not a game any more, it's a chore.
While this is true, it has a lot to do with your tastes, Shadow Hearts has probably the best ending from all the games I've played, and right before that, there's always the final dungeon, which is kept short (around 6 maps for SH3, 4 platforms for SH2, etc.) with a few cutscenes to get the story going. Some FFs really are tiresome to finish (FF6 has a fortress that takes many random fights and riddles to get through, for example...you handle 3 DIFFERENT PARTIES and move them all towards the end, can be freaky for some people).
Old 2010-03-08, 12:06   Link #15
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

SwG and FFXI were the worse time consumers well SwG was until they made it SUCK.

i try so hard to beat one game before going to the next but sometimes it gets too hard and i end up skipping it.
Old 2010-03-08, 12:51   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quite a lot of RPGs were never completed by me... Dragon Age: Origins is actually the first one in quite a while I've taken to completion.

Usually I falter when the story line just doesn't seem to be going anywhere but often its just 'real life and other distractions'.

OTOH... I've nearly always completed RPG games that were multi-player (LAN game) - particularly dungeon crawling games.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 13:00   Link #17
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

im starting to actually belive the article about JRPG's are dead. because the last JRPG i completed was White knight chronicles i cant remember the last JRPG i actually enjoyed and BOUGHT and havent pawned.
Old 2010-03-08, 14:26   Link #18
Who

I found myself ragequitting the beginning of ME2 when I tried Bioware's default beginning cutscene/playthrough with the Normandy.

Then found myself hitting all the neutral/Renegade choices because I wanted to skip the dialogue when I wanted to hit Paragon instead.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 15:40   Link #19
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

This may just be me, but I can't start a video game until I GET everything. Every ending, every item... every achievement/trophy/item reward, etc etc... Tales of Vesperia almost forced me otu of the habit, since it was so haphazard.

Also, I've picked up three Shin Megami Tensei games, and went through them with atleast six walkthroughs each. I can't finish games when they are crap from the start. Ane xample is Shadow of Destiny.

I have plenty of free time, as i've yet to enter college (Trying to fix that.) and get a job. So I pretty much mow down rpg and jrpgs.

Honestly, that is allt he games I play. rpg elements. Like fallout or SMT. Though the latter is uniformally known for being a jrpg.

I thinkt he problem is working, or doing other stuff, and getting too tired to play it. Then in your free time you do something else 'more' enjoyable. (An example is taking a nice, long bath.)

It may be something psychological, as some have stated. Though they seem all pretty straight-arrow, it seems only like a possibility, not a probable answer for.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 15:46   Link #20
Kazu
Flowing

I haven't beaten FFXII or SMTDigital devil saga

FFXII- I kinda lost interest
SMTDDS- I ran up this huge freakin tower just to get killed from a cheap ass snake, I saved right before, but I was too lazy to lvl up