AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-02-23, 01:28   Link #41
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA,
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteJounin
Man, you were pissing me off when you were describing the everyone. But i found out that you were just making an example. You better be.
Don't worry. I made sure to include everyone to make my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckme10
HAHAHA I SAW THAT! You got the thread closed LOL that was great! . Man all they did was pounce on me for making some jackoff comment (quite literally) in that thread but that was a true classic!
Really? Which thread, because I've posted that pic in a few threads... Can you link me to the thread [if it still exists?]
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 01:38   Link #42
luckme10
Just call me G
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno

Really? Can you link me to the thread [if it still exists?]
yeah here it is. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=59 Heh they really didn't like me in that one.
Btw. Instead of spelling out full races it saves time to just use one sylable words like Jap, gooks and chinks are all squinty eyed and bad drivers...heh that one got me edited lol. OH and you forgot cheap for jews! I mean if you are equally racist to everyone does that make you a racist? The trick is to not leave anyone out.
luckme10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 01:55   Link #43
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA,
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckme10
yeah here it is. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=59 Heh they really didn't like me in that one.
Btw. Instead of spelling out full races it saves time to just use one sylable words like Jap, gooks and chinks are all squinty eyed and bad drivers...heh that one got me edited lol. OH and you forgot cheap for jews! I mean if you are equally racist to everyone does that make you a racist? The trick is to not leave anyone out.
For the first part:
AHHH!!!! I hope I didn't force the thread closed. It's that horrible a picture?
Oh, you know where that's from, right? [Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu] Last Friday, that episode was shown at my school's Anime Club. I wasn't there when it was shown, but my friends were laughing about the club's reaction to that one scene for days [still today].
Oh, and that forum was ready to tear you apart.
For the second part:
I did forget those. Try not to push it more than I have. I'll have to think about your comment on racists, though. It makes a lot of sense.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 02:10   Link #44
raikage
日本語を食べません!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Francisco
Age: 32
"The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races."
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 02:12   Link #45
Kurara
Ningyou Hime
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Digital Space
Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckme10
Whatever form of acting out you chose....
none the less.. let me repeat the question...do you really want to be ...that guy?
^_^; I wonder why you're asking me that question...
I mean, I never said I wanted to be like that guy.
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 03:34   Link #46
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
How about I give this from something that hasn't been brushed upon before:

HOW ANIME IS VIEWED IN JAPAN.

Generally speaking, and which may come as a shock to you: The majority of Japanese people view anime exactly the same way many people have said here: "anime are for kids."

Sure, you see Japanese salarymen reading "phonebook comics" in the trains and subways. You see female workers reading the manga section of the women's magazine (i.e. "Shuukan Josei" etc.)

But as a generalized stereotype: "anime are for kids" exists in Japan as well.

Granted, many people in their adult years watch anime with their children. But they are limited to national anime pasttimes like "Sazae-san," "Dorae-mon," and "Chibi-Marukochan."

Though the anime fanbase in Japan seems large and intriguing - it only rakes up less than 0.3% of the entire Japanese population (considering how many people attend the bi-annual Comic Market Convention: ~approx. 300,000 to 500,000 people).

Much like in your country, anime enthusiasts who "still are watching anime" by the time in their twenties are looked down upon by society as "people who can't grow up" or "social outcast branded as otakus."

To risk being known and branded as a social outcast, many anime enthusiasts hide their hobby and their love for anime from being known in their workplace. I assume there are some people in my corporation who are anime fans, but like me, they keep it secret to themselves to avoid the risk of being denied the advancement and job security that we cling onto in the crappy economical situation.

Even with all these anime shows, all these "more anime geared toward an older audience," they do not get the ratings nearly as grandiose as "Sazae-san" or "Dorae-mon." And with the national despise of "anime as being something of a shameful nature," anime shows such as these gets shoved off into obscure UHF channels and shown extremely late at night.

I am intrigued how people in the Western world can go out openly to express anime as being a good medium or not. Here in Japan, no one would dare to express such arguments, as in the end we have a solid perception that "anime enthusiasts are weirdos and psychos, social outcasts and hermits - a disgraceful otaku who should be shunned from society as a shame to our nation/society."

Forget that the Ministry of Cultural Affairs has recently said "anime is an important aspect to Japanese Culture" or how many awards so-and-so anime received in Berlin or not. Even with all those achievements, we are still the minority, and in a strictly image-conscious society as Japan, we have no say - nor do we dare to speak out and go into an argument - to those majority who can brandish us with social dishonor. And in Japan, being garnished by society is something that can cause extreme stress that can be considered worse than death itself.

So, Japanese most anime enthusiasts keep to themselves. And in the biannual Comic Market event is the only times we, as anime/manga/ero-game lovers can burst out our frustrations with our fellow members of "social outcasts."

You do not want to live in Japan unless you are prepared for all the invisible rules and systems that this country has had...
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 03:50   Link #47
JubeiYamazaki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Age: 94
Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
kj1980 - Thank you. I was waiting for you to tell the truth. You just won the thread.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 03:58   Link #48
bluemist
i am the mist
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Japan
I want to at least visit Japan just once in my life. That dream trip would be not just for anime. To think that this entertainment medium we consider as 'cool' overseas is considered 'underground' in Japan, I want to at least find something in Japanese culture that's "COOLER THAN ANIME".

If anime for me is already good, what more would I want to see in one of the coolest countries in the world?
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 05:38   Link #49
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Generally speaking, and which may come as a shock to you: The majority of Japanese people view anime exactly the same way many people have said here: "anime are for kids."
I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!!! Even though I've never been in Japan, I was sure that anime was treated like something for kids.
Thanks a lot for assert it Now I can be 100% sure.

But there is a reason for this because, lots of anime titles ARE for kids so it's not that false.
GarBhaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 06:50   Link #50
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Netherlands (EU)
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
Exclamation

Also a lot are unknowing. example here.

Some guy on my work saw an Excel Saga wallpaper I had once, and starting making fun of me to everyone that I had a Pokémon wallpaper......

at teh end he made a total fool of himself because he was wrong, but most people here see Anime as DBZ, Pokémon, Digimon and that fucked up show ChinChan <---- really it's the worst anime out there...

In these shows there's always someone screaming and yelling, 100% of the shows are screaming scenes, little do they know there are thousands of other Anime that ARE good....
And ofcourse the Dutch government is really against letting in strange languages, because English and Japanese are bad and stuff.....

every cartoon here is dubbed and losing it's touch.

Ever saw an English dub of Hellsing....? my god Alucard sounds gay in english.

People who don't like anime because [insert reason here] have the right to hate it, yet they should shut up as well.

If you hate someone because he/she likes/hates Anime then you should die soon.


just my opinion there
__________________
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 08:59   Link #51
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford, UK
kj1980 WINS TEH INTARNET!!1

I had to....
MrMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 09:55   Link #52
Baba
Grouky Freak
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Paris, France
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
kj1980 , I have a question for you or more like a confiramtion. I wanted to ask if what you said before about anime being for kids was meant just for anime or for both anime and manga.
The reason for this question is that it is obvious that certain manga aren't designed for kids (and I don't mean hentai here, but for instance, stuff serialized in Magazine or manga by Jiro Taniguch). Moreover, I've been to Japan once (only a short 3 month), but while I was there I saw several people in my company read manga at lunch break and they didn't seem ashamed of it nor did their coworker seem to care. Neither did I they comment on me liking manga, although that might just be out of politeness. Some of them were surprised but just just by the fact that I knew Japanese comics (not many of them seemed aware that some manga were Big worldwide ).
I guess missinformed people are everywhere and I have (unfortunatelly) no problem beliving that, but I just wanted a confiramtion. And also a confiramtion of wether this ostracism applies to real hardcore enthusiast or also to the casual anime/manga fan.
__________________
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watch on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleeper, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."
G.R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire, A Game of Thrones.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 10:06   Link #53
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA,
Age: 27
kj1980: Great post. It's great having an informed opinion from Japan, because it keeps this forum from drifting into pointless gibberish [does anyone else know how to speak Gibberish?] If anime suffers such stigma, what do anime artists suffer?
And if anime is "just for kids," what kind of reaction did Ebichu get?
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 11:46   Link #54
Kurara
Ningyou Hime
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Digital Space
Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
How about I give this from something that hasn't been brushed upon before:

HOW ANIME IS VIEWED IN JAPAN.

Generally speaking, and which may come as a shock to you: The majority of Japanese people view anime exactly the same way many people have said here: "anime are for kids."

Sure, you see Japanese salarymen reading "phonebook comics" in the trains and subways. You see female workers reading the manga section of the women's magazine (i.e. "Shuukan Josei" etc.)

But as a generalized stereotype: "anime are for kids" exists in Japan as well.

Granted, many people in their adult years watch anime with their children. But they are limited to national anime pasttimes like "Sazae-san," "Dorae-mon," and "Chibi-Marukochan."

Though the anime fanbase in Japan seems large and intriguing - it only rakes up less than 0.3% of the entire Japanese population (considering how many people attend the bi-annual Comic Market Convention: ~approx. 300,000 to 500,000 people).

Much like in your country, anime enthusiasts who "still are watching anime" by the time in their twenties are looked down upon by society as "people who can't grow up" or "social outcast branded as otakus."

To risk being known and branded as a social outcast, many anime enthusiasts hide their hobby and their love for anime from being known in their workplace. I assume there are some people in my corporation who are anime fans, but like me, they keep it secret to themselves to avoid the risk of being denied the advancement and job security that we cling onto in the crappy economical situation.

Even with all these anime shows, all these "more anime geared toward an older audience," they do not get the ratings nearly as grandiose as "Sazae-san" or "Dorae-mon." And with the national despise of "anime as being something of a shameful nature," anime shows such as these gets shoved off into obscure UHF channels and shown extremely late at night.

I am intrigued how people in the Western world can go out openly to express anime as being a good medium or not. Here in Japan, no one would dare to express such arguments, as in the end we have a solid perception that "anime enthusiasts are weirdos and psychos, social outcasts and hermits - a disgraceful otaku who should be shunned from society as a shame to our nation/society."

Forget that the Ministry of Cultural Affairs has recently said "anime is an important aspect to Japanese Culture" or how many awards so-and-so anime received in Berlin or not. Even with all those achievements, we are still the minority, and in a strictly image-conscious society as Japan, we have no say - nor do we dare to speak out and go into an argument - to those majority who can brandish us with social dishonor. And in Japan, being garnished by society is something that can cause extreme stress that can be considered worse than death itself.
I'm not surprised. Lots of my friends who went to Japan had to hide their interest in anime because they would be considered freaks if they openly admitted that they like it.. But I must admit that I find it very sad.. I always believed that people should respect other's interests..

I don't know what kind of reaction older people get when they openly tell people where they work or their friends that they like anime. [ in America ] There's a big chance that they will be seen as someone who "can't grow up" as you said, but I don't see why that's a bad thing. To society it is though. There's also a good chance that they will be seen as social outcasts. But I don't know how different the reaction an anime fan would get in America compared to the reaction an anime fan would get in Japan..

Like I said in another post, I think that the northern American society is getting more open about interests that are considered "strange" but I'm not sure to what extent. I think that anime has a bad reputation here but not only because of the "childish aspect".. I think that's only the tip of the iceberg.
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 13:34   Link #55
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba
kj1980 , I have a question for you or more like a confiramtion. I wanted to ask if what you said before about anime being for kids was meant just for anime or for both anime and manga.
The reason for this question is that it is obvious that certain manga aren't designed for kids (and I don't mean hentai here, but for instance, stuff serialized in Magazine or manga by Jiro Taniguch). Moreover, I've been to Japan once (only a short 3 month), but while I was there I saw several people in my company read manga at lunch break and they didn't seem ashamed of it nor did their coworker seem to care. Neither did I they comment on me liking manga, although that might just be out of politeness. Some of them were surprised but just just by the fact that I knew Japanese comics (not many of them seemed aware that some manga were Big worldwide ).
I guess missinformed people are everywhere and I have (unfortunatelly) no problem beliving that, but I just wanted a confiramtion. And also a confiramtion of wether this ostracism applies to real hardcore enthusiast or also to the casual anime/manga fan.
Though manga and animes are related, mangas are treated with far less vulgarity than "watching anime."

Manga, can range from all sorts of stuff. There are mangas that teaches salarymen how to play mahjongg (a typical after-work hobby that most salarymen are "required" to do with their superiors), play golf (also another after-work hobby for salarymen), how to drink and choose expensive wine, etc. I guess it's viewed something like...oh let's say (I'm pretty sure this is bad example)...Americans reading Stephen King novels during the lunch break, yet disdain from watching the Hollywood movie version of it.

There are salarymen who read Shounen Magazine (though "shounen," the stories are geared more towards "young-adult" themes), Young Jump, etc in the trains. Here, reading a manga is nothing more different than reading a novel. But if you say you watch anime - you are frowned upon.

Weird contradictory country this place is.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 14:28   Link #56
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Hmmmm in US, people still given leeway to enjoy anime or manga at least but in Japan, it is a social suicide to admit that you like anime or manga. Interesting!

In my country, people is quite ambivalient towards manga and anime, you can say Malaysians is pretty tolerant bunch when comes to anime and manga. I happy to admit that I am a fan to most my contacts and they respected my taste.

Just my opinion, here in South East Asia, anime is not a bad thing. In Phillipines, anime has achive certain cult status, like Voltes 5. Marcos banned it because of political reasons.
__________________
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 17:05   Link #57
LinChoiSin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: paris
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
Hmmmm in US, people still given leeway to enjoy anime or manga at least but in Japan, it is a social suicide to admit that you like anime or manga. Interesting!

In my country, people is quite ambivalient towards manga and anime, you can say Malaysians is pretty tolerant bunch when comes to anime and manga. I happy to admit that I am a fan to most my contacts and they respected my taste.

Just my opinion, here in South East Asia, anime is not a bad thing. In Phillipines, anime has achive certain cult status, like Voltes 5. Marcos banned it because of political reasons.
where i live nobody really cares about animé ,though a lot of people find old animes great cause they used to watch them when they were kids,in fact (it depends who you're talking to) people prefer bashing rap music or pop music .
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 18:03   Link #58
bluemist
i am the mist
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
Hmmmm in US, people still given leeway to enjoy anime or manga at least but in Japan, it is a social suicide to admit that you like anime or manga. Interesting!

In my country, people is quite ambivalient towards manga and anime, you can say Malaysians is pretty tolerant bunch when comes to anime and manga. I happy to admit that I am a fan to most my contacts and they respected my taste.

Just my opinion, here in South East Asia, anime is not a bad thing. In Phillipines, anime has achive certain cult status, like Voltes 5. Marcos banned it because of political reasons.
Yes, cult status of anime in the Philippines is quite different from the otaku status in Japan. Because the entertainment industry here is quite small, there is an entirely huge chance that one has been exposed to anime once in their life. Therefore the 'anime is not only for kids' culture is slowly blurring out the 'anime is just for kids' attitude.

Example, because we Filipinos love sports, sports anime get to be very popular even with non-anime watchers. I meant all kinds of people in all age groups in all walks of life. Case in point was Slam Dunk and Hajime no Ippo. Slam Dunk is so popuar sometimes I even hear discussions about Slam Dunk much often like discussions for the NBA and our own PBA basketball leagues. Also, we have a very strong boxing industry, in which many Filipinos have been worldwide boxing champions.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 18:15   Link #59
aahhsin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
I want to at least visit Japan just once in my life. That dream trip would be not just for anime. To think that this entertainment medium we consider as 'cool' overseas is considered 'underground' in Japan, I want to at least find something in Japanese culture that's "COOLER THAN ANIME".

If anime for me is already good, what more would I want to see in one of the coolest countries in the world?
ehh... Japan isn't really all that... Some interesting sites in Tokyo like some emperor's castle that still stands. Some people that sleep in the streets. some dark skinned jap girls with blond hair (looks really funky) and a bunch of places to buy toys and such.

But overall... It's basically America. Hell here's an interesting point.

There's a bunch of Snoopy, Looney Tunes, Disney (American Cartoons) littered all over Tokyo. And only about a few "anime stores"

They're facinated with american cartoons like how we're fasinated with anime. Quite an interesting turnaround.

Now i've only been to toyko once on a tour so i can't really draw a huge conclusion but that's pretty much it.

O yea! I'm only 5'10 155 lbs, and the XL shirts there is a M!!! I'm fucking considered HUGE. Awesome here in america i'm a shrimp over there i'm buff. I Look like a F-ing Tourist! Woot!

Hard to buy food if you can't speak Jap... sigh... took me about 10 minutes just to buy a freaking Crepe...
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 18:53   Link #60
Kurara
Ningyou Hime
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Digital Space
Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
O yea! I'm only 5'10 155 lbs, and the XL shirts there is a M!!! I'm fucking considered HUGE. Awesome here in america i'm a shrimp over there i'm buff. I Look like a F-ing Tourist! Woot!
This is why I'm not going to Japan. :P I'm afraid to look like a sort of ugly giant amazon next to all the cute Japanese girls.

I don't know how much I like Japanese culture.. I like some elements of it, because they match my interests and what I like, but I've never really been obsessed with Japanese culture. I mean, I don't read samurai novels and things like that. I don't really like Japanese food that much. Well I like it, but not as much as other occidental foods. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese music either.. I like some of it though.

What I really like about Japanese culture is the fascination that Japanese people [ specially girls ] have with cuteness. I always liked cute and childish things.. I love Japanese street fashion because of that. The clothes a lot of Japanese teenagers wear are really cute. I also like a certain way of thinking that you can see through Japanese products like anime or video games, but that's something I can't really explain. I guess I do like Japanese culture for that reason, but I'm not really fascinated with it like some people are. I'm interested in it, though.

I wouldn't like to live in Japan, though.. Even though Japanese people seem to be a lot more open minded about certain things more than Americans.. They seem to be more close minded about certain things too. I wouldn't like having to hide my interest for anime.. ^^;; Etc... I'm a very weird person and I don't think I'd get well accepted in Japanese society. [ from what people tell me of it ] .. Which is why I'm also reluctant to even visit it.. But I have to admit that if I did visit Japan, it wouldn't be for very intellectual reasons. In all honesty it would be a shopping trip. ^^;; [ I'd buy clothes, accessories and anime merchandise mainly.. ]
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.