AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2007-01-25, 12:25   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Strawberry Marshmallow: Ichigo Mashimaro - (tokyopop release)

Doesn't seem to be any discussion of the Tokyopop translation release of this manga series (hit me and merge if I'm wrong but I tried both japanese and english thread searches).

I just picked up the first two volumes last week. On first read, this may be one of those rare series where the anime was actually better than the manga. The first volume is more interesting from a historical perspective but the humor doesn't really seem to hit the optimized stride until the second volume.

In the first volume, the first few chapters are the earlier versions of characters (e.g. Nobue is blonde and seems to actually be 16 in high school rather than 20 and dark haired). A lot of the same story segments are present (though re-ordered and sometimes occurring in different places or with another character involved).

I'll wait to read more before I really decide but at the moment after two volumes - I'd say if you're on a limited budget buy the anime rather than the manga.
Old 2007-11-10, 21:30   Link #2
Dop
Mmmm....

I'm reviving this thread as I was just reading volume 4 and I was wondering if anyone else shared my outrage over the content of 'episode 31'.

I mean, I was thinking "TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MATSURI, YOU BASTARD DOORSTEP SALESMAN!!!"

If you've read that, you probably know what I mean!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 21:40   Link #3
Kamui4356
Aria Company

For the first volume at least I'll agree that it's not as good as the anime. It seems like the mangaka didn't know exactly where he wanted to go with it at first. Later on it get's better, but it's never really at the , "wow the manga's so much better," level some other series are. Overall I think I prefer the anime.

Though I've never read the scanlations or raws, so I don't know how accurate the tokyopop translation is. I found their work to vary quite a bit from series to series, so it could also be that it's not one of their better efforts.
Old 2008-03-10, 10:30   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Found volume 4 .... yes, the manga seems to pick up steam dramatically as the author finds his footing.... so it is getting pretty good.

Though I still think for most aspects the anime adaptation has an advantage just from the comedy timing. I do wonder why the anime simplified Matsuri's interesting hair though.

The poor cosmetic salesman .... actually kind of had it coming trying to pitch his wares to such young people (even allowing for that "japanese innocence").
Old 2008-03-10, 10:43   Link #5
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Wow. Necromanced thread.

Quote:
Though I still think for most aspects the anime adaptation has an advantage just from the comedy timing.
Most people say that it's usually the other way around since dry humor which works well on paper isn't always as effective when acted out or animated.

I was under the impression that the series was coming to a close 3 years ago. Do you think that Barasui has enough steam to write enough material for a few more volumes, perhaps animations as well?

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<))))><..`.reviews.`.links.`..><((((>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 10:56   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I created it... I can bring it back to life, muhahahahah! (ahem, cough).

You may be thinking of the Japanese releases (which began release in 2003). These are the English translation releases I'm discussing which began distribution in 2006 via Tokyopop. I've not looked up the japanese release status and how many volumes were ever produced.

The first couple of volumes had so many "implied" frames (like during the "waitress Nobu vs Miu" and food fight sequence) that the anime version just seemed to reflect the intended pacing better. However, volumes 3 and 4 --- yeah, the paper timing is just as good as the anime timing for the most part --- some of the events read like extended 4-koma setup and punchline delivery.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-18 at 13:37.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 11:21   Link #7
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I do wonder why the anime simplified Matsuri's interesting hair though.
Cost cutting by Madhouse.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 10:03   Link #8
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Bumping for a question: Since volume 6 is finally coming out in Japan next month, does anyone have any idea if Tokyopop is still carrying this title? Would they release 6 eventually? I know things have been crappy for them, which is why I worry. I really love the manga.

It seems I'm in the minority, actually. I liked the manga better than the anime. Then again, I started with it. And I also find Nobue much more appropriate (ironically) as a 16 year old.

"As one becomes more virtuous, one becomes a tsundere."
Kagami~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 13:58   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As with most of these translating manga houses, they rarely ever say 'we've dropped this' ... they just leave you hanging for years.... (*cough* Yotsubato *cough*)

I'm going to guess that TP will follow through and keep releasing this title (a lot depends on the sales of the last volume or two) but there's usually a six month lag between the JP edition and an English edition.

--- the only publishing house I've ever had respond to any inquiries I've ever sent (and I've sent quite a few, especially to ADV and their longstanding inability/arrogance in their customer relations)... is DarkHorse Comics.

@Kagami~n: Mixed myself.... I thought the anime started off really strong and then faded. Whereas the manga started off pretty weak and then got much stronger.
Old 2009-01-30, 14:23   Link #10
Beo
where's the snow?

Dark Horse are a strange group, should see what their office looks like. Walking through it you feel like your in the twilight zone.
Beo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 12:47   Link #11
Amray

I am currently reading the Ichigo Mashimaro manga during this period of time and I think that it is amazing! Although I should have really started to purchase and read the manga much earlier, or rather just after I finished watching the anime series which was the previous early spring/summer period.

I adore this manga, it is so funny and has an amazing cast of characters. Also it is adorable too and the artwork is amazing and very cutely produced. Barusai is truely an amazing plot and visual artist.

Being somewhat of a moe fan I started to buy the anime straight away, followed by the manga late last year. It is also quite inspiring.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 11:34   Link #12
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Vexx: What makes you think that Tokyopop will keep this title? I don't care if it's a 6 month wait, as long as it actually happens. I'm not optimistic; a lot of my favorite titles have either been dropped or licensed + ignored for months.

I'll admit, I first picked up volume 1 for my bus trip to Otakon... it had me asleep in under an hour. But after I woke up and finished reading it, I got to really liking it. I bought volumes 2 and 3 at the dealer's room for the trip home.

It really helps to get past that first part where Barasui doesn't seem to be very sure about character design or anything. I was very confused about who was who. The intro chapter had shown Nobue as a girl with short, black hair - but here was chapter 1 calling some long-haired blonde "Nobue". Also, Miu and Chika looked nearly identical. His developing art style really helped me to enjoy it better.

"As one becomes more virtuous, one becomes a tsundere."
Kagami~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 13:36   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
What makes you think that Tokyopop will keep this title?
Mostly its a matter of "its too early to speculate they'll drop it". I don't have any sales figures and no history of any title they've dropped. ADV is about the only company that has really handled its manga line so publicly poorly.

Its still surprising to me that TP took this title at all rather than one of the smaller publishers.
Old 2009-02-07, 10:04   Link #14
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its still surprising to me that TP took this title at all rather than one of the smaller publishers.
It might be the same reason that persuaded the production of an adapted animated series. I personally would define Ichigo Mashimaro as TokyoPop material, I have read many of their other publications too.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, slice of life