AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-02-01, 15:51   Link #21
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Nice, Air Gear too!!!
what other manga/anime chapters or episodes could add on the list then?
I'm quite curious about that, I also saw a character in Gundam 00 that made me think of him
What else can we include!
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 16:24   Link #22
nobodyishome

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I'll be the first to laugh when nothing changes.

Wrong. In his first 10 days a lone he's already done a great deal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...f_Barack_Obama
I just can't wait until he lifts the bull**** ban on stem cell research. It's just so great that we have an intellectual in office again that doesn't sacrfice critical thinking for religious reasons
nobodyishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 16:54   Link #23
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Hope Obama will do a good job for both country . Sure he have the words !
Wait for what he will doing ! I trust him but if he will not changed somethings then he will be hated more than bush !
"Yes we can"
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 18:03   Link #24
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyishome View Post
Wrong. In his first 10 days a lone he's already done a great deal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...f_Barack_Obama
I just can't wait until he lifts the bull**** ban on stem cell research. It's just so great that we have an intellectual in office again that doesn't sacrfice critical thinking for religious reasons
already started last week, BBC said. Was kinda surprised that it was the 'first time' time, being America but i guess there must have been more protests against it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7847450.stm

As for Japan loving Obama, it's driving me slowly insane here *laughs a lil*
It's mainly the whole 'ganbare' thing which just hit a sensitive spot with them here and they're milking it.

Japanese by default live with the whole 'fight fight, ganbarre, ganbarre!' belief, so imagine when Obama won with the 'yes we can!'
Must be new english phrase of the year for most natives, I swear *shakes her head*
But it helps to add to their motivation, especially when learning english. As for why Japan seems so keen on America...uhh I thought it was kinda obvious that many nations look towards America for 'guidance'.
(k, cept last eight years)
You're the world's biggest celebrity.
With Japan, a country America once controled for a few years and has a history and relations closely tied with with it up to this present day (army bases for one) - it's kinda infiltrated within the lives of regular peeps, so esp with fashion, urban music, actors (entertainment wise), they adore America.

I could expand on a few more things Japan has copied America at, though I'll turn semi bitter there, lol.
Eitherway, the adoration and obsession isn't really a surprise, just as with most things Japanese kinda take it to a new level with something that they're passionate about than most of us.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 01:35   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Changing administration or whatever isn't what I call "change", you should know better than that. Realistically speaking, no real impact will be felt for years. Anyone sitting on their thumbs thinking that something immediate will happen is simply dreaming and delusional.
Not really showing you're paying attention, are you? Review the executive orders issued since 20jan09 and then it might be interesting to talk when you stop insulting people who are paying attention. :P

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-02 at 02:01.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 17:03   Link #26
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Changing administration or whatever isn't what I call "change", you should know better than that. Realistically speaking, no real impact will be felt for years. Anyone sitting on their thumbs thinking that something immediate will happen is simply dreaming and delusional.
Dreaming and delusional?

- Closing Guantanamo
- Ban on federal funding to foreign establishments that allow abortions
- Changed procedures to promote disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act
- Directed the U.S. military to develop plans for withdrawing troops from Iraq
- Issued an Executive Order on Wednesday the essentially revoked Executive Order 13233
- Compiled a list of Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse White House policies on climate change, stem cell research, reproductive rights and other issues

Good or bad there have been plenty of changes.
Old 2009-02-02, 18:26   Link #27
sa547
*Author

Quote:

On the topic at hand. Was there some new foreign policy issue being worked on that I haven't heard about?
"Dreaming and delusional"? "Ignorance is bliss" is more like it.

It is sad that you've taken the mistaken and contradictory assumption that the present Obama administration will be the same as any other presidency, and to ignore the sudden changes that are being implemented since day one. When did the last time an American president (or a Japanese prime minister -- as it seems more likely you're referring to the unchanging politics of that other country) actually made significant positive impact in a short time since his inauguration?

At present the world is watching an American president that isn't sitting in the White House for nothing; he's on the go, taking full action, all eyes are on him, he knows the burden of responsibility that must be done, and all the damage made in the past eight years has to be repaired.
Old 2009-02-02, 18:31   Link #28
klowny
OH NO

i think we are all just sore that bush was president for 8 years

I'm just going to wait and see if he actually did promise the things he said, but it just seems a bit weird right now
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 05:00   Link #29
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowny View Post
I'm just going to wait and see if he actually did promise the things he said, but it just seems a bit weird right now
What's weird?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 05:29   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm going to guess just the idea of a President named something besides Bush. Many forumites can recall no other person being President while they were old enough to pay attention.
Old 2009-02-03, 06:28   Link #31
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm going to guess just the idea of a President named something besides Bush. Many forumites can recall no other person being President while they were old enough to pay attention.
I much preferred Clinton to Bush. There's another Clinton now, as Sec. of State.
Old 2009-02-03, 08:31   Link #32
klowny
OH NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
What's weird?
I'm just thinking of why he closed down guantanamo bay. It's like too good to be true kind of thing with me
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 08:40   Link #33
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowny View Post
I'm just thinking of why he closed down guantanamo bay. It's like too good to be true kind of thing with me
It was the symbol of the past administration.
Old 2009-02-03, 14:49   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, it was symbolic of the wrong road the US went down to the world as much as the US citizens. Problem is there are a few really dangerous guys there (and some we've made dangerous by ruining their lives so much). What to do with those is a really pressing problem because their home countries don't want them back (imagine that).
Old 2009-02-03, 15:53   Link #35
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
I much preferred Clinton to Bush. There's another Clinton now, as Sec. of State.
Honestly, I think the Clinton Administration was worse than the Bush Administration.

If it weren't for Iraq, the economy would not fell into a state of recession and that explains why the majority of Americans had supported Obama for a "change". I don't find the idea of putting Clinton in the Secretary of State post as appealing at all, but since it was approved by Obama and the Senate; the world will have no choice but to let it be for the next 4 years.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 16:25   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh, you're one of the few who have explicitly noted here that the drain that Iraq put on our resources, assets, and economy have a major role in why things are as bad as they are now. It would have been much easier to ride out a recession without that enormous parasite of a delusion-driven war gorging itself.
Old 2009-02-04, 02:14   Link #37
Kai-chan
music games anime=life

Location: living in Washington.....boring as hell. a little city about an hour and a half north of Seattle
Send a message via AIM to Kai-chan Send a message via MSN to Kai-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Kai-chan
this really isn't a situation like people around the world seem to be taking it as. yes, we now have obama as a president. However, there is only so much he can do. The reason so many people hated Bush was because he pass executive orders that went badly. An executive order is an order made by the president that doesn't need to go through checks and balances.

Most of the things will have to go through checks and balances though. Yes, it could be a step for something, but it is not guarrenteed that something will happen just because the president believes in it.

And the people who think our country will bomb with obama need to look at our government again. he could never be the sole catalyst of problems in the country.

In all, obama isn't going to hurt us extraordinarily unless the people let him and he can't help us extraordinarily unless the people let him. That's how the government in America works. We've studied it through the We The People program.

Hopefully, the people around the world are right in thinking that Obama being a president is a step in the right direction though.
Kai-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 17:53   Link #38
Green²
It's Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyishome View Post
lol, no. They wouldn't get emotional and say "YES WE CAN!" and all of that just because there is a city named 'Obama'. If this trend continues I bet Obama will have a higher aproval rating than their own leader...
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 18:32   Link #39
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Oh come on, give them the Youtube link for it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jAMFQmvvAVI
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 20:55   Link #40
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Oh come on, give them the Youtube link for it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jAMFQmvvAVI
And this is from "To Aru Majutsu no Index"? I better move it from my "on-hold" list to "currently watching". This is funny!
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote