AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-05, 04:36   Link #1
Tier3

The MUST see anime classics!

Well, I see anime newbs post in here all the time, so here it is folks. THE LIST. The list of series every anime fan HAS to see. This list is compromised of series that are rarely suggested around here because... Well... Everyone has seen them! (For good reason too!):

Full Metal Alchemist

After losing their mother, Alphonse and Edward Elric attempt to bring her back using the forbidden science of human alchemy. However, alchemy operates on the theory of equivalent trade, and breaking the human alchemy taboo carries a heavy price. Ed loses his leg, and Al loses his body. Ed is able to seal Al's soul inside of a huge suit of armor, at the cost of his arm. Years later, Ed (now with two mechanical limbs) and Al (still trapped in the armor) leave their childhood home, each brother concerned with the other's happiness. Ed, who has a natural talent and skill for alchemy, becomes nationally certified and is soon known everywhere as the "Fullmetal Alchemist." Their true objective is to search for any information on the fabled Philosopher's Stone, hoping it will allow them to regain their old bodies. All of their hopes rest with this mythical stone, which may not even exist at all. However, the brothers soon learn that they are not the only ones after the powerful stone.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

At the age of 14 Shinji Ikari is summoned by his father to the city of Neo Tokyo-3 after several years of separation. There he unwillingly accepts the task of becoming the pilot of a giant robot by the name EVA01 and protect the world from the enigmatic invaders known as "angels." Even though he repeatedly questions why he has accepted this mission from his estranged and cold father, his doing so helps him to gradually accept himself. However, why exactly are the angels attacking and what are his fatherís true intentions are yet to be unraveled.

Berserk

Guts, a man who calls himself "The Black Swordsman" looks upon his days serving as a member of a group of mercenaries, the Band of the Hawk, nicknamed "the Grim Reaper of the Battlefield." Led by an ambitious, ruthless, and intelligent man named Griffith, together they battle their way into the royal court, and are forced into a fate that may change their entire lives.

Eureka Seven

Renton Thurston is a 14-year-old boy who lived with his mechanic grandfather in a backwater town. Every day he dreamed of being with the mercenary "Light Finding Operation (LFO)" aircraft pilot group "Gekkostate" and riding "Trapar" particle waves-- a sport called "reffing"-- with their charismatic leader Holland, especially when faced with his father's acclaimed past or his grandfather's desire to protect him. When a young girl named Eureka riding the original LFO, the "Nirvash typeZERO", asks his grandfather for a tune-up, she inadvertently brings the attention of the military to the garage; as a result, the garage is destroyed and Renton is forced to deliver a new type of interface-- the "Amita Drive"-- to the Nirvash. After a heated fight in which the Nirvash destroys the military LFOs by unleashing an immense amount of power, Renton is invited into Gekkostate. However, he quickly realizes that behind the facade of a traveling group of mercenaries is a very bitter reality.

Death Note

Yagami Light is an ace student with great prospects, who's bored out of his mind. One day he finds the "Death Note": a notebook from the realm of the Death Gods, with the power to kill people in any way he desires. With the Death Note in hand, Light decides to create his perfect world, without crime or criminals. However, when criminals start dropping dead one by one, the authorites send the legendary detective L to track down the killer, and a battle of wits, deception and logic ensues...

Serial Experiments Lain

Lain Iwakura appears to be an ordinary girl, with almost no experience with computers. Yet the sudden suicide of a schoolmate, and a number of strange occurrences, conspire to pull Lain into the world of the Wired, where she gradually learns that nothing is what it seems to be... not even Lain herself.

Cowboy Bebop

Spike Spiegel, a bounty Hunter with a dark past, lives on bounty to bounty, barely making it each time, or not making it at all. His partners Jet Black, Faye Valentine, Ed and Ein the dog all help him in his adventures from planet to planet.
Old 2009-02-05, 05:26   Link #2
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
I would add:
-Revolutionary Girl Utena
-Rurouni Kenshin OVA
-Akira
-Ghost in the Shell SAC and 2nd GIG
-Love Hina
-Legend of the Galactic Heroes
-Fruits Basket
-Suzumiya Hahuri no Yutsu
-Azumanga Daioh
-Nodame Cantabile
-Monster
-Planetes
-Last Exile
-Urusei Yatsura
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
-Dragon Ball
-Mobile Suit Gundam
-Fullmetal Panic! (all series)
-Mononoke
-some classic Ghibli movies like Nausicaa, Laputa, Porco Rosso, etc.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2009-02-05, 06:02   Link #3
Brandandi
Warrior

Project A-ko
Ranma 1/2
Dragon Half
Bubblegum Crisis
El Hazard
Tenchi Muyo
Mermaid Forest
Vampire Hunter D
Devil Hunter Yohko
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
Old 2009-02-05, 07:27   Link #4
Amray

Anime series' which I would count as classics are;

Hellsing
Elfen Lied
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
Code Geass
Azumanga Daioh
Samurai Champloo
Rurouni Kenshin
Old 2009-02-05, 07:45   Link #5
BrokenWingz

I could list a lot of anime but I should highlight just one

Martian Successor Nadesico

Okay maybe two

Vandread
Old 2009-02-05, 08:03   Link #6
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Whats the definition of a classic?

Certainly not age is it?...seeing as quite a few are relatively recent...

All current Sig & Avy images coloured by me / Waking Dreams Studios
Old 2009-02-05, 08:27   Link #7
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Sailor Moon and CardCaptor Sakura!!

Old 2009-02-05, 09:02   Link #8
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWingz View Post
I could list a lot of anime but I should highlight just one

Martian Successor Nadesico

Okay maybe two

Vandread
Normally these 2 comes with:

Yuusha Oh Gaogaigar
Gaogaigar FINAL
Top wo Nerae!
Top wo Nerae! 2
Macross: Do You Remember Love?

This completes the must watch mecha anime list. Eva is on it but already mentioned on the thread.

Also One Piece, the classic that continues to live on. It will go down in manga and anime history as one of the most amazing and creative work ever.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-02-05, 10:00   Link #9
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Hokuto no Ken and Outlaw Star.
Old 2009-02-05, 10:08   Link #10
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

You forgot Trigun!
Old 2009-02-05, 11:01   Link #11
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
Anime series' which I would count as classics are;

Hellsing
Code Geass
mebbe code geass s1 s2 on the other had was deviated from "classic"

some stuff that should be added
Gurren Lagann
Chobits
Fate/Stay Night
Old 2009-02-05, 11:22   Link #12
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I saw this thread when it was exactly 1 post long and I expected it to be merged with some "best anime" threads in the general anime forum. It seems I was mistaken but I still don't see the reason for another one of these threads. and this is why:

First of all, there is no such thing as a must-see anime and I wish people would remove this phrase from their personal dictionary and use something from the list below when they mean something from the list below. Anime as a medium is too diverse for "must-sees", and more importantly, anime fans' tastes are too diverse for that. Chances are slim that you personal tastes will agree with someone else's "must-see" list. Of course if you think having watched a certain set of anime that "must" be seen will give you more credibility on otaku street then by all means go ahead. But it won't work out.

Instead of must-see anime there are only
  1. Personal favorites. Seeing how Tier3's compilation stems from closely related genres it probably falls into this category. Lists of personal favorites is something one cannot argue about. But they are least similar to a "must-see" list and of interest only to people who share your tastes - or have exactly the opposite tastes in which case they can interpret it as a must-not-see list.
  2. Anime of highest artistic value a.k.a "the best anime period". This is something one can endlessly argue about going nowhere, starting with the very definition of "artistic value". According to my observation, when people say that say that their personal favorites are their personal favorites because they are "the best ones" it is most likely that they simply confuse the former with the latter.
  3. Most popular anime. Lists of most popular anime is something you can find at ANN, anidb, or animenfo. They have their defects but through the power of statistics they are definitely more unbiased and sound than your opinion or mine. For the experienced fan they are of limited value because he will already know the anime there and has formed an opinion about them. They are however very helpful for the newbie who has to start somewhere. It's still not a "must-see" list, only a "existence-of-this-anime-should-have-been-noted" list. From the standpoint of what's helpful for the newbie I still like animefo's list best because their strict (albeit too strict) review system protects the list against trigger happy fanboys pushing whatever's being hyped today and forgotten tomorrow.

As a final remark, people are more inclined to listen to you if you don't yell at them.
Old 2009-02-06, 02:37   Link #13
Tier3

Slice of Life, you are reading too far into this.

This is indeed my personal choices and a suggestion thread. Take it easy bro.
Old 2009-02-06, 04:33   Link #14
yukikeikun

GPX Cyber Formula
Old 2009-02-06, 07:41   Link #15
Snider
Banned

The classics rock...that kind of anime is no longer produced :\
Old 2009-02-06, 07:42   Link #16
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snider View Post
The classics rock...that kind of anime is no longer produced :\
Check King Gainer, Koutetsu Shin Jeeg, Casshern Sins for styles that retained old school elements.

Old 2009-02-06, 07:50   Link #17
Snider
Banned

Quote:
Suzumiya Hahuri no Yutsu
Who would consider this a a classic? This sucks +_+
Maybe its a classic of bad anime

Old 2009-02-06, 07:54   Link #18
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
I must have misjudged you for that second, I thought you actually understand what's a classic.

EDIT: to post below, now I really don't see how you can be someone who actually appreciate 'classics'. Sounds like someone who would eat at the piano and drop scraps of food over the keys. Then point your fingers at someone else when the teacher starts reprimanding you.

Old 2009-02-06, 07:57   Link #19
Snider
Banned

i just quoted someone else's entry go complain to him <-<
hmm...looks at your signature...are you a fan of that thing..
Old 2009-02-06, 08:14   Link #20
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:

Please respect others' opinions. I fully understand that not everyone likes every series. However when we're talking about "classics", I am thinking about series/ova/movies that are liked by most people in general, which may or may not coincide with your personal preference.

From the title of the "Anime titles where you can see amazing explosions" thread you created it seems clear you like series with action above talking - which means Haruhi is not for you.
Closed Thread