AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-02-20, 21:40   Link #1
sandlot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
some of the best animated martial arts sequences ever?

I think that Naruto has to rank up there as being one of the best, especially after I saw episode 71. It was a pure joy to watch the 3rd Hokage twirling around that monkey pole of his with such fluidity and realism. Not only does it take a tremendous amount of animated cells to produce these incredible shots but these animators also have to know a little about martial arts choreography I think. I'm really beginning to wonder whether any of the animators or storyboard artists actually practice martial arts in real life. They nailed some of the nuances perfectly! For example, the flexing of the big pole due to the Hokage's sheer strength. I've seen those strong martial artists can do that in real life to those big poles without moving much. Hence, the felxing hit becomes so much stronger and devastating to the opponent.

So for the Naruto fans out there, are there any other anime series that show such fluidity and realism in their martial arts sequences? I haven't watched a lot of anime, but the only one that I've seen that seems on par or perhaps even better is Cowboy Beebop. I don't really consider Dragon Ball or Ranma 1/2 that great, although they may have been groundbreaking for their time.
sandlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 22:25   Link #2
Stickels
Just passing by
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Cowboy Beebop does do it pretty damn well.

you ever seen Grappler Baki? its probably on par
Stickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 23:07   Link #3
Hiko Seijuro 14th
Watashi wa Saikou
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Hiko Seijuro 14th
You want fluidity. Go watch Goku vs Cell. Kenshin vs Saito. Goku vs Majin Vegeta, or ANY fight from the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs.
Hiko Seijuro 14th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 23:33   Link #4
Sethi
StormRider
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portugal
Rurouni Kenshin Ova 1 has excellent fight sequences(Not to mention Animation) Kenshin anime is also great, also Bebop is excellent as well, Getbackers also has some cool fighting sequences and escaflowne guymelef fights were good as well.
__________________
-------- Child's Of The Street Ride With Death Wish ---------

----------------- Your Wings Are Weeping -----------------
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 00:01   Link #5
Silver_shadow
Ramen all the way!!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver, canada
for fighting fluidity id have to say shadow skill. the whole thign is based on hand to hand combat so its got really goos fight sequences
Silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 00:11   Link #6
wnkryo
HainShodan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york city
Naruto doesn't have any good martial arts in it, except for the tai-jutsu that Rock Lee and Gai Sensei use. I know this for sure becuase I have been doing martial arts for quite a while, and can tell the difference between regular and advance form/posture/movement/attack/defence/fighting ability.

But if you want to talk about animes with good martial arts you can see a good series called Grappler Baki.
__________________
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 00:17   Link #7
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: I LOVE NEW YORK cough* my ass cough*
Age: 28
Kenshin OVA Reminisence (aka. Running from Memories) has very nice kendo (Kumdo) fight scenes and Cowboy Bebop has very nice scenes as well.
__________________
What is a friend? It is single soul dwelling in two bodies. -Aristotle
I don't just think the glass is half empty, I think somebody stole half my damn drink
I'd rather betray the world then let the world betray me. -Cao Cao
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 00:20   Link #8
Hairydolphin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Send a message via AIM to Hairydolphin
Rock Lee's Tai-jutsu was really good but Hokage with this bow was really good. I've never seen the bow being so well represented in an anime, very true to real life. I use a bow too so its really cool to see those moves being used in an anime.
Hairydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 02:49   Link #9
zillford
Wandering/Rambling Artist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In a state of denial... denial Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
...I know this for sure becuase I have been doing martial arts for quite a while, and can tell the difference between regular and advance form/posture/movement/attack/defence/fighting ability...
sorry, but did anyone else just burst out laughing at this? the audacity of this guy... sheesh.


every kid who watches anime and gets a black belt in kung-fu thinks they are martial arts gurus. Dude, you can give your advice and thoughts, but don't claim to be some sort of expert on the subject. your oppinion should suffice, he doesn't need made up credentials.


ahem, to contribute:

I havn't seen many of the shows referenced before me, but I would say the Gaara/Lee fight ties with the Sasuke/Oro fight for "my picks for best fight animation" with Cowboy Bebop ranking a close second.
zillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 03:20   Link #10
whatever123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to whatever123
i think grappler baki has nice martial arts scenes also cowboy bepop and the new fist of the northstar + ninja scroll TV series have a lot of good fighting scenes

edit: and how could i ever forget hajime no ippo the fighting scenes were awesome in that series
__________________
whatever123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 03:36   Link #11
Copy Ninja
red eye from smokin'
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
the fight scenes in Air Master totally kick ass.
__________________
Copy Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 09:06   Link #12
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Doesn't look like Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Naruto doesn't have any good martial arts in it, except for the tai-jutsu that Rock Lee and Gai Sensei use. I know this for sure becuase I have been doing martial arts for quite a while, and can tell the difference between regular and advance form/posture/movement/attack/defence/fighting ability.
LOL

Okey don't take it bad but it was really funny so thanks for the laugh

Last edited by Hunter; 2004-02-21 at 13:02.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 09:58   Link #13
realdeal
The Real Deal
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
1) Street Fighter II the animated movie. Specially the Fei Long VS Ryu fight. No one can beat the fluidity of the fight scenes in here, you can actually feel the solid punches and kicks.

2) Kenshin Ova fights was neat, the sweetest part was Kenshin Vs Enishi, Kenji VS Yahiko & When Ikeda house got attacked by Shinsen gumi, music was BAD!(as in good). Kenshin Vs Saito was sweetest fight in the series.

3) Naruto - has quite a few good ones, especially neji vs Naruto and sasuke vs Oro. Lee vs Gaara too.

4) Berserk - Damm this was dark & bloody and soo damm sweet


DBZ shouldnt even come into this, I love the amime but flashing blurry pics isnt exactly great choerography. Flame of recca has ok'sh ones and FMA. Demon eyes kyo had a few good ones too but concentrated too much on mass flashy magical moves...you heard it too..the voice of the wind...
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 10:38   Link #14
wnkryo
HainShodan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york city
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillford
sorry, but did anyone else just burst out laughing at this? the audacity of this guy... sheesh.


every kid who watches anime and gets a black belt in kung-fu thinks they are martial arts gurus. Dude, you can give your advice and thoughts, but don't claim to be some sort of expert on the subject. your oppinion should suffice, he doesn't need made up credentials.


ahem, to contribute:

I havn't seen many of the shows referenced before me, but I would say the Gaara/Lee fight ties with the Sasuke/Oro fight for "my picks for best fight animation" with Cowboy Bebop ranking a close second.
Black Belt in Kung-Fu? I have made up credentials? What are you talking about kid? I have been doing martial arts for much more then half my life, and know what I'm talking about. Please do not think you know people, and get your foot out of your mouth. Thank you.
__________________
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 12:54   Link #15
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
LOL

Okey don't take it bad but it was really funny so thank for the laught
I think you need to read over what you say.... especially when what you say is not that long.

ONTOPIC:

You want fluidity, pour a bucket of water on your head.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 13:29   Link #16
Stickels
Just passing by
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Black Belt in Kung-Fu? I have made up credentials? What are you talking about kid? I have been doing martial arts for much more then half my life, and know what I'm talking about. Please do not think you know people, and get your foot out of your mouth. Thank you.

see... but the fact that you picked rock lee and gai as the only good examples of real martial arts just proves you don't know what your talking about.

Their style is completely flashy cool looking stuff that could never possibly ever work, and almost half of their shots would have no power behind them at all. Its anime however so it works, and it does look cool.

Just sit back and enjoy the series, it has some GREAT fight scenes in it, but no stunning examples of how real martial arts would be. Pretty much no anime does.
Stickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 13:44   Link #17
wnkryo
HainShodan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york city
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickels
see... but the fact that you picked rock lee and gai as the only good examples of real martial arts just proves you don't know what your talking about.

Their style is completely flashy cool looking stuff that could never possibly ever work, and almost half of their shots would have no power behind them at all. Its anime however so it works, and it does look cool.

Just sit back and enjoy the series, it has some GREAT fight scenes in it, but no stunning examples of how real martial arts would be. Pretty much no anime does.
Gai and Lee where the only ones that came to mind when I though of real martial arts. But I would rather like to see flashy fights, and watch the good fights seens.
__________________
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 14:31   Link #18
Hiko Seijuro 14th
Watashi wa Saikou
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Hiko Seijuro 14th
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Naruto doesn't have any good martial arts in it, except for the tai-jutsu that Rock Lee and Gai Sensei use. I know this for sure becuase I have been doing martial arts for quite a while, and can tell the difference between regular and advance form/posture/movement/attack/defence/fighting ability.

But if you want to talk about animes with good martial arts you can see a good series called Grappler Baki.
I think Neji has the best looking martial arts skills that we have seen so far. His posture and movements are easily the smoothest. The Jyuken looks like a style of Kung fu.
Hiko Seijuro 14th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 16:56   Link #19
Stickels
Just passing by
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Sasuke isn't going to start fighting with Lee's style all the time is he?

that could get really annoying, Sasuke just looked retarded in Lee's stance

(could think of a better place to ask this... didn't really want to start a whole new thread)
Stickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 19:47   Link #20
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Opening to bash on Sasuke, must not do it............holding self together

on topic, I really like the fighting in Naruto, gotta love flashy stuff
__________________
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.