AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 73 48.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 31.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 13.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 4.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.32%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-06, 20:49   Link #81
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
What makes you think that females have an always active factory of breast milk?
it is still possible for sanae, right?
Old 2009-02-06, 21:00   Link #82
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

See now, it's interesting how people's tastes are so different - I found that much more emotionally devastating than 16. It was beautifully subtle and understated - no shouting or wailing or gnashing of teeth, just letting the tragedy (and hope) inherent in the situation speak for itself in quiet words and long, awkward silences. Clannad, for me, is at it's very best when it steps off the emotional gas pedal and let's the characters interact naturally and in a muted tone.
Old 2009-02-06, 21:16   Link #83
azziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change of Pace View Post
Well, I'll probably get flamed for this, but imho, what an utterly boring episode. I was waiting for something important to happen the whole time, and it just... never came. Possibly because I'm not too fond of kids myself, but geez KyoAni, for those of us who aren't content with sitting around for scenes like Nagato reading a book or Tomoya wandering around aimlessly, at least throw something in. I thought the beginning of the episode, with Tomoya being melancholic was fine, because I was expecting that, but I really did not care that Tomoya fixed up Ushio's turtle and then it breaking again later. In all honesty, I didn't give a shit. And whether or not most of you can go on about the little minor details that make this show so lovable, etc. etc. etc, I'd disagree completely. It seemed that Clannad went from slice-of-life to slice of a very mundane sleep festival; I was thoroughly disappointed that this episode followed last week's tear-jerker. Just... this whole episode has left me feeling very irritated, and this is something I've wanted to say since after story started: I haven't been able to enjoy after story because I spend much of the episodes being irritated at something. In the previous episodes, it was the lack of romance. But now, it's just the lack of... eventful scenes. Imho, this has been the worst episode this season.

Now then, I'll sit back and watch as flame and hatred is poured down on me. But I'll say one thing; I think that people have a problem criticizing their favourite series. Just because I have a low opinion of an episode, people instantly translate that to Nagisa and Clannad hatred, but that's not the case. If I hated the series, I wouldn't watch it every week, but that doesn't take away my ability to coherently judge an episode based on my standards. Hell, I'm still going to get hate, but an opinion's an opinion, right?
to be honest i didn't liked "after story" as much etheir especially the few episode centered around tomoya-nagisa because of the latter;tough i know it's a rule in anime the protagonist will end with the most boring and uninteresting girl,i never understood why she was so popular with the fan.Be it her seiyu voice(too childish and trying too hard to look cute)or her total lack of attractivness,Nagisa was never really a woman,so i'm relieved than she's out now(didn't shead a tear for her death)maybe will i be able to enjoy the show again.
Old 2009-02-06, 21:23   Link #84
Ottocycle

After Story is rather polarising, I'd have to say, since it breaks the mould of what's got to happen in a bishoujo anime.

As usual, one man's meat is another man's poison.

But it sure beats the hell out of having "meh"s all over the place in the discussion threads.

EDIT: Brightman in the Clannad section?! *Goes to buy lottery*
Old 2009-02-06, 21:38   Link #85
Justin Kim
*Artist

Well in my opinion, the most likely thing - as mentioned earlier - that will snap Tomoya out of his pre - disposition is going to be Ushio. I mean after all she does resemble Nagisa alot, Key sure does a extravagant job on symbolizing certain important aspects related to the episode by using lighting and shadowing techniques.
Old 2009-02-06, 21:43   Link #86
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

From what I can recall, bishoujo do not consider the existence of dad-in-daw, the kid, the career, the housing, the protagonist's own dad, or the town. The 5 years later thing normally is only a footnote with most cases. I can only think of KGNE as a noted exception with how that the meat of the story happens out of high school aside from Clannad.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-02-06, 21:43   Link #87
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
EDIT: Brightman in the Clannad section?! *Goes to buy lottery*
You caught me!!!
Old 2009-02-06, 21:46   Link #88
Justin Kim
*Artist

It's intresting though, because the relationship that both Ushio and Tomoya have, somewhat differs from Tomoya and his Father. It was completely unprecedented that they wouldn't treat each other like full strangers. But then again Ushio is still a child - But for a child she's pretty smart haha, and most definetly cute. ~Her mindset to become acknowledged~
Old 2009-02-06, 21:55   Link #89
Avacado Burger
Senpai, we musn't!!!

I'm glad they focused more on the Ushio and Tomoya bonding rather than his downfall, because frankly, I need a lift after the last episode.

Ushio is so damn adorable, I cannot describe it in words
Old 2009-02-06, 23:23   Link #90
Leo_Otaku
俺たち は リトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
some very curious question

does anyone know that if ushio was fed with formula or breast fed by sanae?
LMAO XD You have to be pregnant to produce breast milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziz View Post
to be honest i didn't liked "after story" as much etheir especially the few episode centered around tomoya-nagisa because of the latter;tough i know it's a rule in anime the protagonist will end with the most boring and uninteresting girl,i never understood why she was so popular with the fan.Be it her seiyu voice(too childish and trying too hard to look cute)or her total lack of attractivness,Nagisa was never really a woman,so i'm relieved than she's out now(didn't shead a tear for her death)maybe will i be able to enjoy the show again.
I like her for her character she isn't a cliche personality. Your loss if you can't apperciate character changes or progression. Everyone just bitches her out because they are upset their favorite girl didn't "win" but in reailty Nagisa's story leads to the best route of the game.
Old 2009-02-06, 23:27   Link #91
Beo
where's the snow?

And what does this have to do with the show?
Old 2009-02-06, 23:36   Link #92
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
LMAO XD You have to be pregnant to produce breast milk
Technically you can artificially induce milk production... though I wouldn't see Sanae doing it.
Old 2009-02-07, 00:07   Link #93
OmegaPhlare
The Romanticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
LMAO XD You have to be pregnant to produce breast milk.
LOL, I actually wasn't so sure of this myself until maybe 3 years ago. It's an odd thing, so maybe everyone here would find it interesting. I figured it out indirectly when I had learned that cows only produce milk for some time after having a calf. And I had only learned that after the makers of the Harvest Moon video game began to change their gameplay mechanic in that cows no longer give you milk every day for as long as they exist, it's now limited to mama cow.

So then I put those concepts together and thought to myself, probably all female mammals are this way. Upon doing a small amount of reading, I have arrived to the conclusion that you have.

Maybe there is a lack of education about the the female gender. But also, maybe we're being thrown off by... hentai?
Old 2009-02-07, 00:09   Link #94
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
LOL, I actually wasn't so sure of this myself until maybe 3 years ago. It's an odd thing, so maybe everyone here would find it interesting
What do people do nowadays in their Biology classes then?
Old 2009-02-07, 00:16   Link #95
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

I learnt about Breast-feeding/Milk when my sister had my niece last year, She said her breats when up a cup size! Anyways, onto the point. I thought the episode was great! I actually feel sorry for Ushio, as my mom babysits and I see what happens to kids who get lack of caring/attention from their parents. I can't wait for next week, the show is doing good without Nagisa. As someone else mentioned, I DID feel for her death, but I HATE the typical anime "I am a weak female with a strange sickness that comes and goes" like Shiori(I think...) in Kanon...
Old 2009-02-07, 00:18   Link #96
OmegaPhlare
The Romanticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
What do people do nowadays in their Biology classes then?
My general biology class, which was taken in community college because it costs less, had taught it's students about the circulatory system, small organisms under the microscope (I'm reluctant to say 'mico'), and about the reproductive process after an egg has been fertilized.

Nothing more. =)
Old 2009-02-07, 01:25   Link #97
Judge Bao
Environmental Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPhlare View Post
My general biology class, which was taken in community college because it costs less, had taught it's students about the circulatory system, small organisms under the microscope (I'm reluctant to say 'mico'), and about the reproductive process after an egg has been fertilized.

Nothing more. =)
What about the lab? I remember I was observing testicles and eggs in microscope and dissecting a bull/cow's eye, but this was like 7 years ago.
Old 2009-02-07, 01:41   Link #98
Ithekro
Space Battleship

Depends on the school/state/country you are from what they will actually teach you or what they will use as exampled. (also cow/milk production I think use to be covered by the likes of Sesame Street, and I know that is shown in a lot of countries for at least a full generation now.)

Can we get back to Clannad now?

EDIT:
I'm guessing we'll find out more about Ushio's personality later. She seems a little ackward around her father, but that is sort of understandable. I do wonder how she is with "Akii".

Last edited by Ithekro; 2009-02-07 at 01:51.
Old 2009-02-07, 02:33   Link #99
GLH

I've been pretty critical of Clannad as a whole and I've posted some of my thoughts in a few prior episode threads. Of course those (negative) thoughts didn't exactly make me popular in those threads! But after watchin this episode I knew I had to come post. I can easily say that this was my favorite episode of Clannad and that includes both seasons. I was gonna come post exactly why, but this post summed it up nicely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
See now, it's interesting how people's tastes are so different - I found that much more emotionally devastating than 16. It was beautifully subtle and understated - no shouting or wailing or gnashing of teeth, just letting the tragedy (and hope) inherent in the situation speak for itself in quiet words and long, awkward silences. Clannad, for me, is at it's very best when it steps off the emotional gas pedal and let's the characters interact naturally and in a muted tone.
Exactly. I prefer this type of drama over the forced drama we got in Nagisa's drama club arc during the first season (And the drama we mostly get from Clannad). That sort of drama for the sake of drama approach really bothers me. And that was extremely evident as we watched Nagisa go from accidentally finding out about her parents' past the night before her big performance (What a coincidence!) to her watching her dad shout his love for plays just before she was going to perform, and finally her dad busting in at the last moment to encourage his daughter to perform.

What happened in this episode was real, however. We see how Tomoya struggles when dealing with Ushio. As viewers, we know he has to be constantly reminded of Nagisa just be looking at Ushio. The fact that he still holds it together is rather impressive and makes the other ways in which he treats her much more believable. It's also touching to see him do things for her like cook her food or fix her toys, but at the same time it is sad to see him do those things as a stranger. Good stuff. This sort of drama will always hit deeper with me as opposed to the "Look, sickly girl is sick!" variety.
Old 2009-02-07, 03:58   Link #100
RandomFlameStrike

I also really enjoyed this ep for similar reasons. The way Tomoya regressed was sad to see, but I could kind of understand why he was like that. The dynamic an non exsistant relationship between father and daughter was also saddening. I guess people who can't understand or never saw the appeal of Naigsa probably don't care as much for her daughter?

Well really I don't see what the hype about the other girls is. We have 1 case of retard moe, 1 case of retard moe with super smarts, and a generc tsundere. XDD just kidding. Really I like all of the Clannad characters, but Nagisa really is ahead above the rest of the girls imo. Equal to Tomoyo of course haha. Her character interaction and what she does for Tomoya is enjoyable for me to watch/read about. Meh well I guess personal tastes are everything.