AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-05, 15:27   Link #61
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Purezza 01 - If Characters In A Show Resemble You That Closely, You're Either Sleeping With the Producers or Are the Producers. Considering Haruka's Influence, I Wouldn't Be Surprised Either Way:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 15:31   Link #62
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 01:
Old 2009-10-05, 15:42   Link #63
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Yah, Sweets-brain girl and zero-personality man

Spoiler for ep1:

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2009-10-05 at 16:03. Reason: EDit...
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 17:24   Link #64
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Spoiler for Episode 1:
As an aside, this was my first time watching an episode on Crunchyroll, and, to be honest, the subtitles had some real problems with names. The girl in the nocturne club is "Haruna" not "Haruka" (an important distinction!), the other maid is "Nanami" not "Naha", and I have real problems with "Cute-Boy" as a suitable equivalent for "Onii-san". (But somehow they still put "Onee-san" as "Big-sis", which is fine. Why not "Big-bro" to be consistent? Because it was so important that he wasn't actually her brother?) Plus, while it isn't really incorrect, normally in DVD subtitles and so on you write out the double-vowels like "Yuuto" instead of using the line over the "u". And saying "Sister Sawamura" has a totally different implication in English than "Sawamura-oneesan" does in Japanese. Plus her name is "Ryouko" not "Yoshiko". I mean, some of these things good have been fixed by a simple Google search, or applying a bit of common sense...? Other than that, I guess it was pretty okay -- hopefully they were just rushed and they'll fix these issues going forward.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 17:27   Link #65
Midonin
Last Engage

Cool, the official website got a bit of a redesign for the second season.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 19:04   Link #66
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As an aside, this was my first time watching an episode on Crunchyroll, and, to be honest, the subtitles had some real problems with names. The girl in the nocturne club is "Haruna" not "Haruka" (an important distinction!), the other maid is "Nanami" not "Naha", and I have real problems with "Cute-Boy" as a suitable equivalent for "Onii-san". (But somehow they still put "Onee-san" as "Big-sis", which is fine. Why not "Big-bro" to be consistent? Because it was so important that he wasn't actually her brother?) Plus, while it isn't really incorrect, normally in DVD subtitles and so on you write out the double-vowels like "Yuuto" instead of using the line over the "u". And saying "Sister Sawamura" has a totally different implication in English than "Sawamura-oneesan" does in Japanese. Plus her name is "Ryouko" not "Yoshiko". I mean, some of these things good have been fixed by a simple Google search, or applying a bit of common sense...? Other than that, I guess it was pretty okay -- hopefully they were just rushed and they'll fix these issues going forward.
This wasn't OK in any way, Your-Mom does better subs than this. If they can't even get the names right I can't trust their translation at all, I'm not even going to comment on the "Cute-Boy" part, and the censoring, it was so horrible.

For God's sake, I hope a sub group pick this up, anyone would be fine.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 19:11   Link #67
Johnny
Working the bags...

I heard Mamiko subs was going to pick it up...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 19:42   Link #68
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
This wasn't OK in any way, Your-Mom does better subs than this. If they can't even get the names right I can't trust their translation at all, I'm not even going to comment on the "Cute-Boy" part, and the censoring, it was so horrible.
Well, this is why I wanted to be careful in what I said. I think the translator had a hard time hearing the show, and wasn't given an official character list to work from. And some of the decisions like "cute-boy" were probably editorial. Plus, I'm no expert, but I didn't notice many glaring problems in the rest of the script; it was mostly the names that annoyed me. This really is the first video I've watched, so I don't want to give an impression that all their projects suffer from this problem. I hope they will fix the problems; I understand that they've done "v2s" before.

As for the censorship, that may have been all they were given by the broadcaster. Obviously it's annoying, but I don't know whether all the TV stations in Japan will broadcast it in that way or not. We'll see... This sort of steam is never added by the anime studio, but by the broadcaster.
Old 2009-10-05, 20:01   Link #69
cyberdemon

Quote:
As for the censorship, that may have been all they were given by the broadcaster. Obviously it's annoying, but I don't know whether all the TV stations in Japan will broadcast it in that way or not. We'll see... This sort of steam is never added by the anime studio, but by the broadcaster.
took a look at one of the subs and they seemed to actually ADD censors to the first episode. Looked at the raws and it was quite a bit less with only the front half being censored but even that had less steam covering the front than the horrible subbing i saw
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 20:02   Link #70
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

I'm pretty lenient with subs, as long as it isn't a disaster, it's enough for me. This wasn't the case here, they did a bad job, as simple as that. Let's just say that if it were a fansub, I would recommend people to get any other version, and that isn't good considering these are professional subs.

TV-MZ is airing the uncensored version of the show, so CR using such a heavily censored version is another con.

Spoiler:

As you said, let's hope they fix these problems.
Old 2009-10-05, 20:07   Link #71
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
took a look at one of the subs and they seemed to actually ADD censors to the first episode. Looked at the raws and it was quite a bit less with only the front half being censored but even that had less steam covering the front than the horrible subbing i saw
I don't know if this is true for Nogizaka, but the degree of censorship isn't always the same for every broadcaster. Some are more strict than others.

I guess it depends on who provides the materials to Crunchyroll.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 20:10   Link #72
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Spoiler for Ep 1:
Old 2009-10-05, 20:11   Link #73
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
I'm pretty lenient with subs, as long as it isn't a disaster, it's enough for me. This wasn't the case here, they did a bad job, as simple as that. Let's just say that if it were a fansub, I would recommend people to get any other version, and that isn't good considering these are professional subs.

TV-MZ is airing the uncensored version of the show, so CR using such a heavily censored version is another con.

Spoiler:

As you said, let's hope they fix these problems.
that first set was just horrible, like they didn't even try
Old 2009-10-05, 20:15   Link #74
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
I don't know if this is true for Nogizaka, but the degree of censorship isn't always the same for every broadcaster. Some are more strict than others.

I guess it depends on who provides the materials to Crunchyroll.
In this case, the material is provided by Yomiuri TV, the show's first broadcaster (barely). So it would be interesting to compare the Crunchyroll censorship with what aired on YTV, and see if that is the common thread. You're completely right, though, that because censorship is (almost always) done by the TV stations, it can vary greatly from station to station.

Edit: Yeah, see the image above; on the left is the YTV raw. So, it looks like the Crunchyroll version matches what YTV aired on TV in Japan, so it makes sense (even if it is annoying). Based on that, this particular problem may not be able to be fixed (but, honestly, I think there was more of this sort of fanservice in this episode than in the entire first season combined, so I doubt the trend will continue).
Old 2009-10-05, 20:46   Link #75
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I saw HorribleSub's subs and the characters were messed up. ™«

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 20:51   Link #76
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
horriblesubs is just crunchyrolls ripped right?
Old 2009-10-05, 21:24   Link #77
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
That was a problem with their encoding, not CR's fault.
Old 2009-10-05, 21:50   Link #78
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I remember defending the first series, but half a dozen episodes was about right. Some nice Haruka-Yuuto moments here. The new Kugimiya Rie character works. I love Gotou Mai as the younger sister. And the uncensored version should have some fanservice.... But one episode is enough for me, this time.

Horrible Subs has issued a revised version. Stuff happens.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Amagi Brilliant Park | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 22:04   Link #79
Psykewne

Well.. crunchy roll are really sucking at subs this season. First in asura cryin' 2 they sub What kanade says as Tomoharu while she is saying natsume-kun, and regardless of what anyone says the distinction in how characters name each other is very significant especially where any amount of romance or friendship is shown.

Now we have cute-boy instead of onii-san... great job there.

I know subbing is meant to make things understandable for non japanese speakers but I really think this over englishing of what they are saying (omitting honorrifics has been bad enough in the past) is somewhat spoiling the feel. I've watched enough anime now that I can sort of get the jist of certain dialogue now and then it's hard to watch subs that are basically saying really retarded sounding things.

On the censorship I don't really know what they have done for other shows regarding censored versions but it seems odd when they are basically making money off of the western fans to use the censored versions because i've honestly never met anyone who thought that the censoring in anime was done well (random floating bats in rosario + vampire...).

Overall I think crunchy roll is an excellent idea but the fact that many fansubbers do a better job of the translating just makes it simply not worth justifying the money, once they can produce subs on the level of free sub groups I would jump at paying for the service since they get alot of good shows each season and i'd like to support them, but it;s simply not a service worth paying for.
Psykewne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 22:25   Link #80
einhorn303

Quote:
Your complaint is really immaterial to the issue at hand. Anybody who has already seen the first season doesn't need for them to post it before benefiting from the streams of the second. That counts for most of us here. If someone new actually says "oh, I can't watch the first season there, so I'll just stick with my fansubs for the second season too", then I don't think they were really giving it that much of a chance to begin with, nor were they taking advantage of the benefits of the "simulcast" anyway. So the benefits either are or are not worth it for you, whether or not they post the first season. They're not the only game in town, and we all know it. If it fails, it's because people didn't want to buy what they were selling, plain and simple.

Anyway, we can set this aside; the first episode will air in about 1 day.
There does actually exist people who don't watch fansubs because they're illegal (like me). Yes, you might say that's irrational, but putting up the 2nd season and not the 1st is rather frustrating for such people.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen