AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-02-07, 04:58   Link #21
wontaek

Nothing exist in vacuum, thus to say Anime can't have ANY negative effect is going too far;more likely Anime has very small effect compared to most other things. However, Anime can have positive effect as well, although to a small number population. You never know how a small thing might tip the balance of someone. No matter how insignificant, potential for harm or good exist, and I hope the anime producer and viewers does not totally ignore this potential nor be paralyzed by this possibility. A good anime series can make people think in constructive ways and challenge the prejudice of the society. I have reasons to believe that Anime may have helped Japanese be more accepting of different possibilities for female, just like how entertainment industry have helped and harmed the efforts of African-Americans to break through barriers. The following link is a New York Times Article about movies and African-Americans, and I do believe there exist a Japanese Article about both positive and negative influence of anime on role of females in Japanese society .

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/mo...er=rss&emc=rss

Last edited by wontaek; 2009-02-07 at 11:52.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 16:06   Link #22
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Such as? You know, you have to explain what you mean.
Most people would agree that shooting people is wrong unless they pose a threat to you. Therefore, most people won't go around shooting people at random even if they see someone do it on TV. Which isn't to say they're aren't people who will copy bad behaviour shown on TV, but they generally know what they're doing. Most people have the self control not to exhibit this kind of behavior even if the media may give them the urge to.

However, it's entirely plausible to me that people might be able to apply media style "black and white" morality (not saying all media uses black and white morality, but some does) to real world situations without even realizing what they're doing. This is what I mean when I say that people don't consciously reject some bad influences.

I think people are less likely to consciously reject a negative influence if the negative influence is something generally accepted by the local society. To me, this means that Americans may be less subject to some of the bad influences in anime than the Japanese themselves are, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
i remember some blog state that "kanokon" was number one show for children on Saturaday. i was like
At least they're gaining an early appreciation for kemonomimi.
0utf0xZer0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 19:48   Link #23
animeboy12

Man those kids watching Kanokon are gonna be some horny teenagers.

Anyway I think anime can have a negative impact on society, I mean look at what most of the hiphop music genre has done in America. I don't see why anime can't have the same effect on some people. At the end of the day I believe that people are responsible for their actions but at the same time I believe anime is an art and like any other art form the must important part is to influence or invoke an emotion or feeling
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 19:59   Link #24
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Anime is a fringe medium and has thus only a marginal influence on society in any case. Which doesn't mean that it wouldn't have a an influence on otaku and not necessarily a healthy one. (*cough* /a/ *cough*).

But that the media as a whole influences society goes without saying I think. The problem is not that people imitate what they see. It's more that we all subconsciously but inevitably will build their world view on media 'experiences' as strongly as on real life experiences. For example, people will readily discuss the mindset of a murderer even if they've never met one in their life will. Solely on the 'insights' they've got from TV and without realizing that. And the more white and black the media paints things the more merciless, unforgiving and self-righteous a society will become. I think here lies the real danger.
Old 2009-02-07, 20:25   Link #25
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
But that the media as a whole influences society goes without saying I think. The problem is not that people imitate what they see. It's more that we all subconsciously but inevitably will build their world view on media 'experiences' as strongly as on real life experiences. For example, people will readily discuss the mindset of a murderer even if they've never met one in their life will. Solely on the 'insights' they've got from TV and without realizing that. And the more white and black the media paints things the more merciless, unforgiving and self-righteous a society will become. I think here lies the real danger.
Everything I was trying to say, except way clearer.
0utf0xZer0 is online now   Reply With Quote