AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-10-08, 09:59   Link #1
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Animesuki Top 100 Character Popularity Rankings

I have compiled a list of animesuki's 100 most popular anime characters, based on their approval rating (i.e. the percentage of people who voted for the character in that particular show's thread). The data is taken directly from the animesuki character popularity polls - I've just assembled it together. I've only included shows that had a multiple-choice popularity poll, obviously. I don't think I've missed any, but please, feel free to add anything I might have missed.

Any thoughts? Surprises? Disappointments? I myself have several interesting observations from those results, but I'll save them for later.

What do you guys think?

1-50:

51-100:

Last edited by Darklord_bg; 2008-10-08 at 10:34.
Darklord_bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 10:23   Link #2
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
fails for lack of Manabi Straight, and Bamboo Blade
Old 2008-10-08, 10:23   Link #3
Amray

What I think...well it appears to me that a majority of the most loved anime characters on this list are female. Therefore I think that there are most likely more male fans of anime than there are female fans. My reason is because I know that male anime fans admire the female characters a lot more than the male characters, I should know because female characters are awesome to me also. Not to mention the fact that they are really cute too.

Here is an example, look at practically all of the male users' avatars on this very site. I can garuntee to you that most of them have a female character as or in their image.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 10:51   Link #4
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

1 Katsura Hinagiku - Hayate The Combatbutler 75.89%

์Not Hayate Truefan,but I am not surprised.She is going to go so far in all

Saimoe Tournaments.
Old 2008-10-08, 10:53   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm at first surprised since I thought the list would be filled with KyoAni characters, but then again, because KyoAni shows have lots of females, it scatters the decision somewhat, even with multiple votes per cast. I completely approve of Hinagiku.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 12:11   Link #6
tetsuo
In Classic Form

Q.Q Why no Issic and Miria from Baccano?! I love those kids
tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 12:12   Link #7
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Baccano! doesn't even have it's own sub-forum, so no favorite character poll.
Old 2008-10-08, 12:15   Link #8
herbert

There is a pity Spice and Wolf sub-forum never hold a character poll or the wolf (aka Horo) would enjoy 90% or even 100% bevoted rate.
Old 2008-10-08, 12:25   Link #9
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Probably because the voting options would only consist of Horo, Lawrence, Chloe and Nora. And like you said, Horo would win about 90% of the votes.
Old 2008-10-08, 12:47   Link #10
OverFunk
2014 is the year

>Lawrence
My vote.

Anyway, this is no representative of the Animesuki population, since it's limited to popular series (they have to get the subforum), and a limited number of members vote in those polls.

Never forget
OverFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 13:09   Link #11
herbert

Alright, 100% is gone, but 90% is still there.

I think this ranking better go after vote counts and rate.
Old 2008-10-08, 13:20   Link #12
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Shana has no one in her series to compete with. Surprised Hinagiku is #1 considering both Nagi and Maria are pretty popular, though. I guess the multiple vote function helps. Would be more accurate without that feature.

Edit:
Fate from Nanoha a's trumps everyone though.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=37361
Old 2008-10-08, 14:17   Link #13
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
fails for lack of Manabi Straight, and Bamboo Blade
We have no data on those series, as they don't have their own subforum at animesuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
What I think...well it appears to me that a majority of the most loved anime characters on this list are female. Therefore I think that there are most likely more male fans of anime than there are female fans. My reason is because I know that male anime fans admire the female characters a lot more than the male characters, I should know because female characters are awesome to me also. Not to mention the fact that they are really cute too.

Here is an example, look at practically all of the male users' avatars on this very site. I can garuntee to you that most of them have a female character as or in their image.
Thanks for pointing that out. It isn't particularly surprising to me that most of the popular characters are female. There ARE more male anime fans than female ones - it is a fact! However, I did not expect the situation to be THAT uneven. The results show that among the top 100 29% are male and 71% are female. That's a pretty huge gap. 60-40 would be something I would consider acceptable (although 50-50 would be ideal, albeit impossible).

It really makes me think what kinds of characters appeal to male viewers. Apparently, looks are very important, and since 99% of all anime girls are hot, they dominate this ranking. Contrary to most male viewers, I generally prefer male characters to female ones. I am not a homosexual, so I don't consider them more physically appealing. It's just that I find guys easier to identify with, since I am a guy as well, and my favorite characters are people that I can identify with or aspire to be like. Furthermore, I try to be as impartial as possible when judging a character's worth, regardless of their gender. There appears to be an annoying double standard, where male characters are bashed severely for doing things that female ones easily get away with. I hope this statistic raises some awareness of that problem (heh, I know, I sound like a politician) though it's probably not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm at first surprised since I thought the list would be filled with KyoAni characters, but then again, because KyoAni shows have lots of females, it scatters the decision somewhat, even with multiple votes per cast. I completely approve of Hinagiku.
Well, KyoAni characters are indeed pretty popular - especially the ones from Haruhi and Lucky Star. There are five of them in the top 20. I think that almost all if not all KyoAni characters made it into the top 100. Concerning Hinagiku, I think she's at the top because she is very "sweet" and doesn't rub people the wrong way. Characters like Lelouch and Haruhi are widely revered, but they also have some qualities that really tick some viewers off, whereas Hinagiku is probably the least-annoying character one could find. No wonder she was the best female character in the 2007 Animesuki Awards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
Baccano! doesn't even have it's own sub-forum, so no favorite character poll.
Thanks for clarifying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
>Lawrence
My vote.

Anyway, this is no representative of the Animesuki population, since it's limited to popular series (they have to get the subforum), and a limited number of members vote in those polls.
This is in no way a perfect ranking, since the number of people who vote for each show is different and the people themselves are different. I considered ranking the characters by total number of votes instead of by rating, but then some shows are way more popular than others (or at least people vote more on those) which I thought would distort the ranking somewhat. This is a character popularity ranking, not a show popularity one.

I was pretty surprised to see Matsuri so high on the list though, especially since I don't consider Sola to be a very popular show. Apparently most people who voted in there loved her, hence her high rating. I would probably estimate her actual popularity to be in the top 20 or top 30, but not int he top 10. I would not say she is more popular than, say Lelouch, or Fate, or Kamina.

In general though, I think those rankings represent animesuki's opinions pretty well, from what I've read over the last few years. I really expected Lelouch and Kamina to be much higher though, and I did not expect it to be so uneven gender-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Alright, 100% is gone, but 90% is still there.

I think this ranking better go after vote counts and rate.
As I said, I was considering doing that, though I think the ratings system would be more accurate. Maybe I will also arrange them by vote count one of these days and see what results we get. Perhaps it could be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Shana has no one in her series to compete with. Surprised Hinagiku is #1 considering both Nagi and Maria are pretty popular, though. I guess the multiple vote function helps. Would be more accurate without that feature.

Edit:
Fate from Nanoha a's trumps everyone though.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=37361
I think Shana should have competition, since there are many good characters in her show. I personally don't understand her huge popularity - she does not have any unique qualities, besides combining two pretty popular female archetypes - loli and tsundere (why they are so popular, I will never understand). She can get quite annoying at times with the way she treats Yuuji, though she is nowhere near as bad as Nagi and especially Louise.

I don't think the poll would be more accurate without the multiple-vote feature, because that way you can vote for only one character. Many times, it's hard to choose just one, when there are so many good ones, and some characters will end up getting almost no votes despite being very liked, simply because the respective voters thought there was someone better.

Concerning Fate - I'm sorry, I only included the most recent character poll results (like for Higurashi Kai - I did not include results after first season only) since I believe the most recent poll provides the most complete viewpoint of a certain character. For example, if a character was pretty lame in the first season and he/she did some pretty cool/heroic stuff in the 2nd one, this should be reflected in his/her overall profile. Of course, again, the people who voted for Nanoha A's were different than the ones for Strikers, so the system is not perfect.
Old 2008-10-08, 14:37   Link #14
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

In StrikerS case, there are about 20 main protagonists and over 100 supporting characters. Forcing the popularity as well as screentime of each character to spread. Nanoha a's was more believable with two protagonists(three during final few eps) and 10 or so supporting characters. Ofcourse, StrikerS takes place 10yrs in the future where the main protagonists of Nanoha a's are now fully grown(Including Fate) and well endowed, so that may also have been a cause. We all know how popular loli is these days.

Quote:
I think Shana should have competition, since there are many good characters in her show. I personally don't understand her huge popularity - she does not have any unique qualities, besides combining two pretty popular female archetypes - loli and tsundere (why they are so popular, I will never understand). She can get quite annoying at times with the way she treats Yuuji, though she is nowhere near as bad as Nagi and especially Louise.
SnS is not a series where people watch for the male characters. Actually, Yuuji is the only main male protagonist that I recall. Even so, people either watch it for the action, or to fawn over Shana - probably both.

Quote:
Well, KyoAni characters are indeed pretty popular - especially the ones from Haruhi and Lucky Star. There are five of them in the top 20. I think that almost all if not all KyoAni characters made it into the top 100. Concerning Hinagiku, I think she's at the top because she is very "sweet" and doesn't rub people the wrong way. Characters like Lelouch and Haruhi are widely revered, but they also have some qualities that really tick some viewers off, whereas Hinagiku is probably the least-annoying character one could find. No wonder she was the best female character in the 2007 Animesuki Awards.
Like Kholdstare said, most Kyoani has a fairly large cast of characters with dfferent personalities, so that will tend to diversify popular opinion. Still does little to slow down characters like Haruhi and Konata, though. And yea, Hinagiku is a good character, although depending on what one would consider "annoying" I think I could name a few who are less so. Being a tsundere is automatically annoying to some people, even if Hinagiku is one of the most calm and composed tsunderes out there.
Old 2008-10-08, 14:38   Link #15
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
As I said, I was considering doing that, though I think the ratings system would be more accurate. Maybe I will also arrange them by vote count one of these days and see what results we get. Perhaps it could be better.
You better do. Like I said, it's unfair to the wolf. She earned the S&W sub-forum almost by herself, but there is no popularity poll so she is not in your list.

Let's talk to mods to open a character poll in S&W sub-forum in celebration for annoucement of the 2nd season and we'll see the highest rate ever in AS history.
Old 2008-10-08, 15:41   Link #16
-Kh-
ポルカ

The major flaw I see about doing such ranking compilation is when the shows don't have a very big roster of characters thus making some votes a given.

However, as shown by the very first place, Hina, this is not a given case, and I'm very surprised of seing Hina with such a big amount of fans (myself among them).

Quote:

Indeed
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 16:01   Link #17
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
In StrikerS case, there are about 20 main protagonists and over 100 supporting characters. Forcing the popularity as well as screentime of each character to spread. Nanoha a's was more believable with two protagonists(three during final few eps) and 10 or so supporting characters. Ofcourse, StrikerS takes place 10yrs in the future where the main protagonists of Nanoha a's are now fully grown(Including Fate) and well endowed, so that may also have been a cause. We all know how popular loli is these days.
Maybe you're right, and Nanoha A's should be used as the measuring stick. I'm not into magical girl shows, so I don't know much about Nanoha. However in case where there are shows with several seasons I tried to be consistent and always take the last season's data. Like with Code Geass, for example, the first season had much fewer characters and they all got more screentime, but I have to assume that when people vote for those characters, they take the first season into account. The bigger problem, I think, is that some of those polls were conducted in the middle of the season or in the very beginning, which greatly affects the outcome. That's why I think character popularity polls should always be done at the end of the show, so that people have the full picture of each character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
SnS is not a series where people watch for the male characters. Actually, Yuuji is the only main male protagonist that I recall. Even so, people either watch it for the action, or to fawn over Shana - probably both.
I didn't mean the male characters necessarily - there are plenty of good female characters as well, like Margery, Wilhelmina, Pheles. I think we can all agree that Yuuji isn't particularly manly at least for a large portion of the show so far, so indeed it is Shana who carries the show. Although I must say, this series has some very good villains - Friagne and Sabrac were probably the best so far, and I think they should have been included in the polls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
You better do. Like I said, it's unfair to the wolf. She earned the S&W sub-forum almost by herself, but there is no popularity poll so she is not in your list.

Let's talk to mods to open a character poll in S&W sub-forum in celebration for annoucement of the 2nd season and we'll see the highest rate ever in AS history.
Yeah, it's funny there are some shows with too few characters, whereas there are shows with too many (Code GEASS R2, I'm looking at you). In R2, there are many very popular characters who were grouped into the "Other" Category - Sayoko, Arthur, Cecile, Laksharta, Marianne. Some of them would probably even make it to the top 100. Hopefully the 2nd season of Spice and Wolf will have a greater diversity of characters to facilitate its own poll, and unless something changes, I can see Horo getting above 75%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kh- View Post
The major flaw I see about doing such ranking compilation is when the shows don't have a very big roster of characters thus making some votes a given.

However, as shown by the very first place, Hina, this is not a given case, and I'm very surprised of seing Hina with such a big amount of fans (myself among them).
It's true, but in this case all the major shows have a pretty big cast, so I don't think any of those characters are a "given". Matsuri from Sola is probably the only exception. If Spice and Wolf were given a poll, then Horo would also be a given vote.
Old 2008-10-08, 16:05   Link #18
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. It isn't particularly surprising to me that most of the popular characters are female. There ARE more male anime fans than female ones - it is a fact! However, I did not expect the situation to be THAT uneven. The results show that among the top 100 29% are male and 71% are female. That's a pretty huge gap. 60-40 would be something I would consider acceptable (although 50-50 would be ideal, albeit impossible).

It really makes me think what kinds of characters appeal to male viewers. Apparently, looks are very important, and since 99% of all anime girls are hot, they dominate this ranking. Contrary to most male viewers, I generally prefer male characters to female ones. I am not a homosexual, so I don't consider them more physically appealing. It's just that I find guys easier to identify with, since I am a guy as well, and my favorite characters are people that I can identify with or aspire to be like. Furthermore, I try to be as impartial as possible when judging a character's worth, regardless of their gender. There appears to be an annoying double standard, where male characters are bashed severely for doing things that female ones easily get away with. I hope this statistic raises some awareness of that problem (heh, I know, I sound like a politician) though it's probably not going to happen.
Yes, well stated. I would think that most males are attracted to the female characters because obviously it is just natural, especially for teenagers and such. But I deeply think it has something to do with the characters' gender. If you noticed (you most probably have) a lot of the female anime characters are always used as examples and in avatars, signatures, et cetera, because they are the more popular of the series. Why is that though? I would like to say for their personality..although looking at the statistics I would not bet on that sourse entirely.

First we had characters such as Ayanami Rei. She was the most popular character back when Neon Genesis Evangelion was quite fresh, and she is still quite popular now. Was it really because she was quiet and cute? Maybe because she was given the best role. Now in the present we have C.C... which I did not really understand as I thought there were many characters that were better. C.C hardly appeared at first when Suzaku was in it all the time..yet she was still more popular than him then.

We have Haruhi who is very popular too, although that could just be because she is the central theme of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (which is obvious as her name is in the title). Yuki Nagato also proved very popular, as did Tsuruya-san.......why not Itsuki Koizumi? Tsuruya-san is statistically much, much, much more popular than him...why is that? She makes about three appearances and all she does is stand there and laugh. Koizumi was an awesome esper, good looking, relaxed, and a very great character altogether and had some great scenes....although he proved one of the least popular characters in the entire anime. Even Kyon's sister had a higher ranking than him and she is hardly in it at all! All I rememeber her for is taking Kyon's scissors and hiding in a bag...O wait! She also called out to her friends once on the way to school.. (To be fair though, she was a really cute Loli).

So, where some people like these characters for their personalities, some just like them for their gender and how they use it with their great personalities. Let us face it, meeting a real life Izumi Konata; a girl that plays video games, watches Anime, reads Manga, has a great sense of humour, and wears vests with nothing underneath, also being extremely cute despite all of this, then I would see that as the biggest achievement and luxury of my life.

There again the directors may just give the best personalities and positive points to the female characters on purpose just so that real males can shoot blood from their noses. I will not deny it men, I do. All joking aside there is also the matter of Hentai and its popularity over males, even in the west. That may also be a reason to make so many awesome female characters. It is extremely rare for their to be an ugly yet young female anime character. Supposedly the girl from Tales from Earthsea was ugly......but SHE WAS CUTE!!!

If you read that then thankyou. If not then I do not blame you.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 16:39   Link #19
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

snip
If you read that then thankyou. If not then I do not blame you.
I read your post, but i dont really understand it. Are you asking philosophically why some characters are more attractive? Well, i cant answer that without taking a philosophy course. Different people have different tastes when it comes to what is attractive, however many do share similar likes. In anime, as in most shows, characters are designed either to make you love them, or hate them. Theres not much point in creating average regular characters as the show would become boring.

There is an unfair bias as girls are more heavily represented as males are the larger demographic anime watchers. And there are many shows that aren't popular enough to get a subfourm which naturally excludes characters.

I am also extremely surprised to see Hinagiku top the list seeing as how i find many other characters sharing her traints do more poorly in their own forums.
Old 2008-10-08, 16:41   Link #20
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Since this is based on only some selected series that have their own subforums, I'd say that at one point in the 1-100 ranking, it changes to which characters do people disapprove of the most. All of these "polls" are multiple answers, so if a character is not voted for, then it's not the fact that there's another character who is more interesting to the voter, but it's the fact that the characters not voted for are forgotten/did not make much of an impact.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote