AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2007-01-31, 10:30   Link #121
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Wow, two other people that don't completely loathe Kanako. And I thought I was the only one
I wonder if her low reputation may be due to the 50cc's of total fail they doped her up on for Love Hina Again
I think it's the sister thing. Normally I can't stand the sister either, but there's something about Kanako's all-out attitude that appeals to me. I thought she brought an interesting dynamic to the series in the sense that she was willing to do just about anything to get Keitaro, whereas a lot of the other characters were very wishy-washy about it. Nominally the boat-rocker is my favorite character in any harem. Lisa in Girls Bravo is another example, the girl who wants the boy no matter what - this is probably why Magikano appeals to me so much.

EDIT: You know, after thinking about this all day, you may be onto something as far as anime fans go. My wife has never read Love Hina, but has seen the anime and she can't stand Kanako. While I was trying to explain it to her, I realized they cut out a lot of the redeeming Kanako scenes from Love Hina Again because of the shortness of the series.

Last edited by rooboy; 2007-01-31 at 15:26.
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 15:18   Link #122
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

I am more attracted to characters like Aoi in Ai Yori Aoshi or Izumi in I's, nobuko from video gril AI, Cindy from A.I.Love you and especially Honoka and Yui from Suzuka. Girls who are loyal to the main character no matter what, maybe it is silly but even when I know the result i usually spend the whole series wondering why the main guy can't figure out what is really good for him. My only real surprises was ichigo 100% and it was a bad surprise since I thought he was gonna end up with the nice girl.
Old 2007-01-31, 21:22   Link #123
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Been a while since I've read Konoka's section... isn't she actually a sister of the "no blood ties" type? (step, adopted, ?)

I flipped through the "back to the island-race to the temple" section towards the end today... one of the less enjoyable parts for me... (with all the zeppelins, turtles, and whatnot) ... but a section where Keitaro addresses each of the girls in some way.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 21:50   Link #124
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Kanako is adopted if i remember correctly and I still ask so what, If i have grown up thinking of someone as my sister the fact that we weren't blood related wouldn't make it any better to want a relationship. The Japanese culture especially the sex culture shows an entirely different moral standards than any other culture I have been in contact with.

Last edited by Mykas; 2007-01-31 at 22:54.
Mykas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 22:16   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykas View Post
Kanako is adopted i i remember correctly and I still ask so what, If i have grown up thinking of someone as my sister the fact that we weren't blood related wouldn't make it any better to want a relationship. The Japanese culture especially the sex culture shows an entirely different moral standards than any other culture I have been in contact with.
Don't confuse fantasy for reality... such things happen very rarely in the real Japan but mostly because the situation just isn't that common. Plus these sorts of fantasies ignore the studied phenomenon where young humans raised together just tend to not find each other sexually desirable - its a natural bit of brain wiring that won out in natural selection processes.

Generally, the japanese are less hung up about sex or nudity than Americans... but then the Canadians are Europerans are less hung up as well --- or more precisely, their attitudes are more situational driven: in an onsen? well of course you're not going to have clothes on. Naked in the street? You'll probably be arrested for annoying people. Europeans (in different countries) have some hilarious standards about what is and is not okay (topless, nude, what time of year, etc).

However ... if you're in the US (or most other countries) the rules vary dramatically on what is and is not acceptable. ... marrying step-siblings or adopted siblings is perfectly legal in many states. Marrying first cousins is legal in almost 3/4 of all states and most of the world (Europe, Asia). And an oft-repeated bit of confusion I see in these forums: despite what some think, age-of-consent for sexual conduct varies dramatically from state to state, prefecture to prefecture and country to country ranging from age 14 and up in Western and Asian locations.

Many people make the mistake of thinking the rules in their neighborhood are universal and naturally correct ... and they are fundamentally wrong

Side note: Shinobu is 14 in Love Hina.... which was age-of-consent legal in Japan until recently when a national age of consent law was passed and then universally ignored by the prefectures. It was mostly passed to pacify some moralists and usually only enforced selectively *if* someone complains.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-01-31 at 22:34.
Old 2007-01-31, 22:57   Link #126
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

I wasn't judging the culture so much as remarking on the difference. admitedly I think my sister is an evil hag and the thought of marrying her is akin to being a sword dummy for Motoko so that may affect my view on that particular subject
Old 2007-01-31, 23:50   Link #127
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<rofl> see, thats the "gene directive" avoidance effect

As for me, I know just enough swordplay to volunteer to be Motoko's dojo buddy
Old 2007-02-01, 00:22   Link #128
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykas View Post
Kanako is adopted if i remember correctly and I still ask so what, If i have grown up thinking of someone as my sister the fact that we weren't blood related wouldn't make it any better to want a relationship.
He didn't grow up with her, they just spent some time together when they were little. He barely remembers her name when she first pops up.
Old 2007-02-05, 17:34   Link #129
Valcion
Graviton Wave

I liked Kanako best, followed by Mutsumi, mostly cuz Kanako is cute and Mutsumi raised Tama
Old 2007-02-11, 12:41   Link #130
Pinupaong
Pinupaong

I wish that there are girls like narusegawa exist in the world.
Pinupaong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 12:49   Link #131
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinupaong View Post
I wish that there are girls like narusegawa exist in the world.
err... you must be masochist

joke aside, if we ignore the ridiculous strength she got, i dunno if it would be that great, considering how indecisive, stubborn, [add any non frank denomination ] she is. (i'm not a naru hater, in fact, she is one of my top LH girls, but she is sadly one of the most annoying character plot wise)

at least, should she exist, we would need some airhead like keitaro to support her. ~~

hu well, my top 5 is:
-Motoko
-Kanako
-Shinobu
-Naru
-Mutsumi

I have hard time with Kaolla though... (i hardly laugh with jokes/pranks concerning/coming from her... however her "adult" form is quite interesting)
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 07:00   Link #132
the_Source

Unhappy

I have to agree with Klashikari (again ignoring her strength) the idea that if things got difficult or emotionally problematic she would run away doesn't really endear her to me. (Probably because I can't run that fast and would never be able to catch her) I'm not a Naru hater either but there are limits.
the_Source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 00:44   Link #133
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
well, my top 5 is:
-Motoko
-Kanako
-Shinobu
-Naru
-Mutsumi
I would have to disagree with the girls in the top 5.

Mutsumi
Kanako
Shinobu
The island girl (Shinobu's twin)
Suu (Older of course)

Why didn't Naru make it? Because even to volume 14, she is still suspicious and beats Keitaro for being a clumsy fool. This poor guy can't even LOOK at a girl now or Naru will kill him for it. This would clearly be a case of Domestic Violence.

Motoko - Well honestly she is almost as bad as Naru, and with her sword skills Domestic Violence would be upgrade to Manslaughter. (BTW Privately I wanted Motoko to win).

Why is Mutsumi at the top? Well lets see, she is 99% compatible to Keitaro, she also knew him when they were growing up, and she made a promise to him (though he didn't to her). Now that neat episode in the Xmas special where she almost raped him, well Darn that should've worked, and in the Drama CD, where she tried to marry him, well DARN that should've worked too.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 03:21   Link #134
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
wel.. you don'"t really need arguments here, this is just an opinion based on my preferences ^^"

just like i said in the previous post, naru is indeed terribly annoying in volume 12 and 14.
however, while she is clearly irational for a lot of things concerning the utter clumsy airhead ronin, she has really strong points : her intimate conversations with keitaro during the first and second exam periods, the whole volume 7, volume 8, volume 10 (although she was really undecisive with the answer), volume 11 and finally some moments in 12-13 and 14.

but again, there are moments that i wished like "just punch her, tie her and force a kiss to her, godamnit ! -_- "

as for motoko, i was thinking the same thing in the very very beginning of the story at the very first time i read LH, but she was just able to pull a lot of readers attention with her huge character development. (Volume 4 and 9 were simply gold.)

bleh anyway, i guess we disagree here just because our difference in POV, tastes and arguments
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 04:01   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Bah.... (takes Motoko and runs away with her) mine mine mine!!!

The first character of anime that I thought, "wow, I'd court that in a heartbeat"
Old 2007-02-13, 04:20   Link #136
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
Of course shinto maiden outfit always makes u want the girl XD lol

For me the best character would be Kanoko, Su(older), Mutsumi, and Shinobu ^___^
Akamatsu Always has to put a girl who's japanese and has pale white skin who's a shrine maiden into the story. heh lol

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 04:25   Link #137
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually it wasn't the outfit so much as I just am rather fond of that type of personality: strong-willed, a bit wild, smart, and physically fit... doesn't take crap from people but internally a little unsure.

In Negima, Ken sort of split his bet by creating Setsuna and Mana ... they're both in my "first circle of favorites" in that series (also Kaede and oddly Yue).
Old 2007-02-13, 07:16   Link #138
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Motoko isn't very strong willed, she often runs away or puts on a front and she just wants to be tough. The word I would use to describe her is insecure. (i can dig out my lh volumes and show chapters to support this if need be)
Mutsumi is far and away the best of the girls, she isn't at all ambiguous about what she really wants. She is unfailingly kind, smarter than she first appears to be, and generous to a fault.
Old 2007-02-13, 11:41   Link #139
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay... I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you over "who's best" because that's basically idiotic. That's why there's a variety of girls, so that people can have their favorites. Mutsumi is your favorite, thats fine. I happen to prefer Motoko --- so everyone is happy.
If you're going to diss other characters to justify your choice, thats a bit insecure, eh?

Here I'll quote myself: "strong-willed ... but internally a little unsure." ... so I believe I've covered that assertion. All of the girls have flaws - it is part of what makes them interesting and allows for character evolution. In Motoko's case, she grows out of that insecurity during the course of the series.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-02-13 at 11:51.
Old 2007-02-13, 15:43   Link #140
MaroonKnight

Send a message via MSN to MaroonKnight Send a message via Yahoo to MaroonKnight
Hey, i'm new... and a little bit lost about whats going on... but, my friend has volumes 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,14 of it... i read some of them, and i like it too...
MaroonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, harem