AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 333 89.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 6.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 1.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 0.54%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.08%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-13, 08:56   Link #61
Kristen
*Author

Kyoani kind of blew on of the great musical moments they were granted in the game with Country Train (The song that played right after the OP). Yeah, it still sounded as a good song, but it was missing all the effect it had in the game. I still firmly believe it should've ended last episode with maybe just the first chugs of country train, and then queue in the ED, followed by starting this episode with it.

Other than that, there is absolutely NOTHING to complain about this episode. In fact, I liked it better than in the game. His grandmother became an angelic type figure instead of a random old woman. He was shown doing the same things as his father, making the link very well. He OUTRIGHT ADMITTED that he was in the same situation as his father.

Personally, I want the anime to end here. The bittersweet ending where he may have lost Nagisa, but still has Ushio, and recognizes it. Ah well.

10/10, because what I'm complaining about is last episode, not this one.
Old 2009-02-13, 09:09   Link #62
Divini
Senpai!

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

I never in my dreams would I have thought I would weep this much over such simple scenes. Of course I expected this to happen, but the execution is just simply a masterpiece.

I honestly thought I wouldn't cry as much as I did in ep16, boy was I proved wrong, by a long shot. I still have tears pouring out, writing this review, a minute after finishing the episode. I don't think I've cried so much for one series let alone for a single episode.

Time and time again, I'm blown away at how great this anime is.

Spoiler for My breaking point:

Last edited by Divini; 2009-02-13 at 09:28.
Old 2009-02-13, 09:10   Link #63
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Wow... more touching than ep.16.. Was it possible? Man even I shed a tear for the
Spoiler for scene:
Probably was the most touching thing I have ever seen. Man, next episode looks like it might be a more good-spirited one! 10/10. Amazing episode, only like 5 episodes or 4 left :'(
Old 2009-02-13, 09:24   Link #64
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Actually I didn't cry either. I *did* almost tear up but it really felt so emotionally satisfying. Quite content after watching that episode. Going to check out the subs now. (I have yet to watch ep16 with subs )
Old 2009-02-13, 10:13   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I watched this episode again with subs and it still didn't do it for me, although kudos for strong dialogue to the scripter. It still seems like everyone here must have seen some sort of ultra-enhanced version of the episode I watched. I think it was perhaps partially spoiled for me by people overselling how much they were crying and such and it's like the bar was set too high for it to ever realistically reach it. I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say, but this episode just was not the episode for me it was for other people.

And to answer Omegaphalere's question I'm not hiding any sort of happy feeling, I've laid it all out on the table already and no I don't want to change my vote to a 10/10 even though I have to be the bad guy once again who undercuts the average by what is now a wide margin. I feel quite satisfied with where I am.
Old 2009-02-13, 10:19   Link #66
kininku buster
I wanna be Itou Makoto

I really had to hold back the man tears in this one. It was a great episode and it was good to know that Tomoyo is willing to be apart of his daughters life now. It's surprising it took him five years and a vacation with his kid to realize that.
Old 2009-02-13, 10:26   Link #67
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I watched this episode again with subs and it still didn't do it for me, although kudos for strong dialogue to the scripter. It still seems like everyone here must have seen some sort of ultra-enhanced version of the episode I watched. I think it was perhaps partially spoiled for me by people overselling how much they were crying and such and it's like the bar was set too high for it to ever realistically reach it. I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say, but this episode just was not the episode for me it was for other people.
Well, we the game players planned accordingly and agreed to avoid any comments that could rise expectations or prepare people for what was to come in last episode's thread, but we can't really do much about people who choose to see the RAW without understanding enough Japanese/read comments and summaries before watching the episode. We could ask the admins not to open the thread till a proper sub is out for the next time though

Personally I can almost say that the whole reason CLANNAD exists was for this single episode. It was that high of a climax for me. I can almost feel true sorrow when seeing that I cannot share my joy with you, but such is life I guess.
Old 2009-02-13, 10:32   Link #68
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

I noticed the slight change to the ED. I'm also noting that there are spaces left in the walking line.
Old 2009-02-13, 11:08   Link #69
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Took a half hour off after watching the subs before posting this. Needed time to think.

But even then, this is the damn best episode of the entire series, and one of the best single episodes of an anime I've ever seen. 10/10 does no justice.

----------------

"Then... let's go."

At this point, if you have not yet realized the main parallelisms of the Illusionary World to that of Tomoya's life, you need to rewatch everything.

So now, as the heavy snow begins to fall, the girl and the robot begin their journey of escape. For the girl to survive, for the robot to find the happiness that eludes them both in this world of eternal end, they must journey to the place where happiness rests. To that place, still there is still a place, far away, far away.

[/Ana insert song ripoff]

"Shut up! You're disturbing people!"

The explosiveness of Tomoya's repressed anger again comes to light. As the nice Country Train (hint) continues on, it gets interrupted by his angry outburst. The mother can only apologize for her son as a face of fear appears on Ushio's face.

Where does she go? To the bathroom to wipe her tears. As Sanae tells her, she can only cry in two places. One in the bathroom. The other?

"Tell me about mommy..."

How hard it must be to speak of loved ones in the past tense. Few fathers will ever be ready when the day comes that their children will ask this question. It brings up emotions both joyful and sorrowful, to attempt to remember memories of the dearly departed as if they were only yesterday.

I can see the pain in Tomoya's eyes. When time stopped on that snowy day 5 years ago, the memories of Nagisa were almost like they really were yesterday. I cannot blame him for his refusal. The pain is still fresh. The cut stil bleeds. The wound refuses to heal. The sadness envolopes his heart still, like a void collapsing upon itself.

"What is this? It feels familiar..."

Father and daughter gaze on the beautiful sunflower fields ahead of them. An unbelievable sight from an animation standpoint. He carries Ushio on his back so that she can see over the bueatiful wide fields of yellow. She wants to play in the fields, but would lose her toy robot in the process. The pair search in vain but young Ushio continues to search anyway.

Tomoya's memories flash in this place of his childhood. To me it isn't an odd thing. I can proudly say of the times where a distant, far-off memory flashed in front of my eyes when I arrive at a place buried deep inside of myself. It his here that he begins to remember his childhood, to a path leading him up the trail. To the cape over the sea.

"I am the mother of your father, Okazaki Naoyuki."

And thus, the story of Okazaki Naoyuki begins.

I cannot imagine the difficulty of being a single father. To have lost the one dearest to you is one thing, to be left the task of her legacy is yet another. But Naoyuki chose to do it, because he loved his wife and son so much. To leave Tomoya would be to spit in her face, and he knew that he had a long road ahead of him. It would be one filled with difficulties, sadness and pain. But he knew. I can only believe that he knew. He knew what he had to do. He had to be Tomoya's father. At that point, he could only do it one way.

"He wanted to raise you with his own hands... He had chosen to live for your sake..."

His life was no longer his, but to his son. At that moment when they chose to walk down that cape together, to leave and find a life for themselves, Naoyuki must have known that to become the single father of Tomoya entails the biggest sacrifice he can ever give for him. Though uneducated, poor and unready for the world, he worked for Tomoya's sake. Bought him sweets, made him food, made a home for him. A home for the two of them.

Yet fathers are merely human. He drank alcohol and smoked to ease the almost insurmountable agony of his emotional suffering. He was passed out most of the time and left Tomoya alone to play. It is here in this beautiful juxtaposition of scenes does Tomoya see what he has become, just how similar they might have been.

"I'm the now the one in his place back then..."

I'll tell you why Naoyuki can smile with such ease. This is a smile of genuine happiness from a father who has willingly made his life a shambles for the sake of his own son.

He was happy that Tomoya had become a fine young man. In that mangled house, in the school courtyard, even behind the prison glass, he was happy, he was proud. He was happy that Tomoya turned into a empathetic man, a man who helped those in need, a man who understood the feelings of others. He was proud that Tomoya became a respectable person, willing to become responsible for his own life and the lives of others.

He knew it was all worth it. Even if he became a drunk, a criminal, a loner and a reject of society, he knew it was worth all of it. Because he managed to raise a fine young man.

In that moment, Tomoya also knew.

"Because... it was the first one papa bought for me..."

I was an emotional wreck at this point. For me, one of the most profound statements of human love I have ever had the undeserving pleasure of hearing. Ushio didn't care what it was or whether she would get a new one. It was the thought, the idea, of the gift.

For Ushio, the first surest sign that she did, indeed, have a father who loved her.

She must have been a lonely child to have a father she couldn't get close to. For 5 years living with her grandparents rather than her own dad. She could catch glimpses of him when she visited, but the gap existed between them. She could only continue and hold on to the hope that her dad wanted her, that her dad loved her.

On that yellow sunflower field, she found her answer.

"She told me it was okay.. to cry in daddy's arms..."

I can't begin to imagine how many tears Ushio must have been suppressing all those years at this point. But finally she had found a place to cry. Whenever she was sad, whenever she was happy, whenever she was hurt, whenever she just needed to let it all out.

"Ushio... do you want to hear about mommy?"

Ladies and gentelmen, this is it, The Reminiscing Scene. The top ranked scene in the entire game, my personal favorite, and perhaps something that will stay with me the remainder of my days.

Tomoya can finally describe to Ushio who her mother was. A shy and frail girl who had always stood at the bottom of that hill, indecisive and afraid. She would say Anpan to boost herself onwards, to fight through the day.

This was the day when they met.

Tomoya stops as the tears begin to flow from his eyes. In the span of 4 seconds, as the track plays in the background, Tomoya remembers just who Nagisa really is.

That she, Nagisa, was the only one he had ever loved.

In the game it lasted 10 minutes. In the anime, 4 seconds. And yet... damn... It's still kinda hard to describe. A 4 second montage of scenes as Tomoya begins to choke on his own tears, remembering who she was and how much she had forever changed his life.

But she was gone, and he knew. He could now accept it.

"Nagisa... I've found what I wanted to protect. It's... right here..."

And so, Tomoya with his work clothes and Ushio in hand, gaze at the heavenly figure in this field of white. Instead of tears, they greet her with a smile. Here on the bottom of the snowy white hill, Tomoya and Ushio bid Nagisa farewell to the woman who will forever be a memory in their hearts. She may be gone, but she is still with them, inside them both.

So now, 5 years to the day that a young woman died on a snowy day, Tomoya's life begin to move forward once again.

Together with his daughter. Their daughter. Ushio.

----------------

And that.... well.... I'm probably going to bed now....
Old 2009-02-13, 11:10   Link #70
kaitoein
Finders Keepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I noticed the slight change to the ED. I'm also noting that there are spaces left in the walking line.

yeah, it seem they add Okazaki Shino in the ED.
never seen it in previous episodes , or maybe i just missed it?
Old 2009-02-13, 11:18   Link #71
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Huh? They actually (slightly) changed the ending? The ever-consistent Key actually changed the ending? Even if it's a subtle change, I didn't know they could break their consistency so easily like that...
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Space Dandy
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Old 2009-02-13, 11:28   Link #72
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

Sort of like filling the gaps as they go.
Old 2009-02-13, 11:36   Link #73
jery626
Full Metal Panic!

Damn. I almost cried at the sunflower field part but then I smiled and thought that "good for them."
Old 2009-02-13, 11:36   Link #74
Dream
working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitoein View Post
yeah, it seem they add Okazaki Shino in the ED.
never seen it in previous episodes , or maybe i just missed it?
they did indeed add it.
Old 2009-02-13, 11:37   Link #75
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Wow, that was an amazing episode ><
Old 2009-02-13, 11:38   Link #76
CLANNAD

It will be a good end
Old 2009-02-13, 11:43   Link #77
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
last episode my heart was breaking to see tomoya treat ushio so coldly
now...
i am beyond words

when watching the original clannad i remember thinking that while i generally love the characters of clannad more then kanon (most especially nagisa)
kanon was an overall better show in terms of the emotional impact it had on me (i was emotinally drained after seeing it in a 3 day maraton)
i litteraly cried during some parts of kanon and that simply did not happen during clannad
this episode however more then matched up to anything kanon had to pit against it
one episode i which nothing praticuarly sad happens
and yet ...
kudos kyoani
kudos key
Old 2009-02-13, 11:48   Link #78
jenthehen

This episode was amazing. In fact ... the last 3 episodes were amazing. It doesn't even seem like the same show. I was SO disappointed in the first season of Clannad and the first half of After Story ... it just always seemed disjointed and lacked focus and was too ... harem-y.

I wish it had gotten to this point of being GOOD sooner instead of floundering! I'm glad I stuck with it~!

USHIOOOOO!!!! <3
Old 2009-02-13, 11:48   Link #79
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
You know, I almost feel like betting on the poll now. I'm going to say that if the spread is 96% 10/10 to 4% anything else and the payoff is 1000:1 that I'm going to go with the spread and with the odds even though the payoff would suck. Counting ends at the 130 mark or 2 days, whichever comes first.
Old 2009-02-13, 11:57   Link #80
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

What's so bad about 10s? Other subforums, especially the big names, also has their fair share of people giving out 10s and not elaborating why. It's certainly not an unique phenomena to just Key/KyoAni.
Closed Thread