AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 333 89.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 6.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 1.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 0.54%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.08%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-13, 11:58   Link #81
Nikkan

Can't wait until next week >_< If the anime will end happy or sad is still the big question mark
Old 2009-02-13, 12:02   Link #82
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
What's so bad about 10s? Other subforums, especially the big names, also has their fair share of people giving out 10s and not elaborating why. It's certainly not an unique phenomena to just Key/KyoAni.
Did I say it was bad? Rather I find it fascinating.

I've determined that this has the potential to be record setting in terms of ratio for these forums. I'm very curious to see how it all turns out and so I decided to turn it into a game for myself. Polls are normally not very interesting to me at all and I couldn't care less, but this one tickles the fancy of the latent statistics nut and number cruncher in me. It could be years before we see something like this again.

I also get the opportunity from this point on to study this without my own personal interference since I will be going away for the weekend and have no access to the forums. I hope people don't take to much offence, but I can't resist the social scientist graduate in me who wants the opportunity to observe his fellow forum goers and see what makes them tick. If I can't really share completely in the experience with everyone I'd at least prefer to get to understand everyone a little better in my own way.

Sorry everyone, continue.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:03   Link #83
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Ya this one got a rare 10 from me (sorry Kaioshin) as well. Pretty much a perfect episode in my mind. I don't really feel the need to wax poetic about it either. This episode represents itself quite well, nothing more needs to be said as far as I'm concerned.

P.S.

I cried a bunch.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:14   Link #84
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Episode 18 article is up:

[RIUVA] CLANNAD ~After Story~, Episode 18

Erm, dammit, I ran out of tears. This episode is one of those that breaks the 10/10 scale. But still....yeah whatever, 10/10.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:17   Link #85
Sheba
Wanna Be The G.I.R.L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Did I say it was bad? Rather I find it fascinating.

I've determined that this has the potential to be record setting in terms of ratio for these forums. I'm very curious to see how it all turns out and so I decided to turn it into a game for myself. Polls are normally not very interesting to me at all and I couldn't care less, but this one tickles the fancy of the latent statistics nut and number cruncher in me. It could be years before we see something like this again.

Think about it, when people rated the episode, they did it when the episode was still "hot" in their mind, this is what frenchmen calls it, "reaction chaud". Then, it should not be surprising if the ratio of 10s, 9s and 8s gets so high compared to the others. Give them some weeks and months, they have watched other shows and they perhaps wanted to watch the series again with a matured mind and look, perhaps their opinions will change, they may lower it or increase it.

Whereas back in 2007 I'd have rated Kanon 2006 a 8, now I'd lower it to 7. It was an emotional rollercoaster but elements like the romance could have been done better.

What is happening now is as I said, a "reaction chaud". I still thumb up Clannad for doing the extra effort to show the chosen couple's steps in adulthood and its hardships. Few shows does that (one of those that do it is Itazura Na Kiss).
Old 2009-02-13, 12:37   Link #86
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

I haven't watched it yet... but it hasn't been 24 hours since the episode was released and this thread is already 5 pages long. I checked the rating poll as I always do before watching, and wah lau, my sky ah, already 66 (out of 69) gave perfect 10! Can't wait lor.

Anyway, I know what will happen and the high rating is somewhat expected. Very kam dong one hor?
Old 2009-02-13, 12:51   Link #87
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Think about it, when people rated the episode, they did it when the episode was still "hot" in their mind, this is what frenchmen calls it, "reaction chaud". Then, it should not be surprising if the ratio of 10s, 9s and 8s gets so high compared to the others. Give them some weeks and months, they have watched other shows and they perhaps wanted to watch the series again with a matured mind and look, perhaps their opinions will change, they may lower it or increase it.

Whereas back in 2007 I'd have rated Kanon 2006 a 8, now I'd lower it to 7. It was an emotional rollercoaster but elements like the romance could have been done better.

What is happening now is as I said, a "reaction chaud". I still thumb up Clannad for doing the extra effort to show the chosen couple's steps in adulthood and its hardships. Few shows does that (one of those that do it is Itazura Na Kiss).
Spoiler for response to reaction chaud theory:

I wonder if the reason more games don't have an After Story part is because of production costs or because they fear backlash for making a canon pairing for one. Probably a combination of both.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:57   Link #88
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
I don't think most people check the results of the poll before rating. I mean, I never have. The results, after all, are hidden before you vote unless you ask to see the current results.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:57   Link #89
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

"Moving", "touching", what other word can be used, really?

Tomoya finally realizes he's even worse than his own father, who more or less destroyed himself trying to raise Tomoya into the man he is now. While his father sacrificed everything to make sure Tomoya grew up properly, for these five years Tomoya has been indulging in self-pity and neglecting both himself and his daughter.

Sanae-san knows it's still not too late for Tomoya to redeem himself, and already he is on the path to truly becoming a father at last. She has also taught Ushio well, telling her the two places where she could cry: in the bathroom; and in her papa's arms.

Next week, Tomoya not only becomes a good father, he will also return to becoming a good son as he pays his father a visit after so many years.

Now the ED includes Shino as well in the parade.

It was fun while it lasted.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:00   Link #90
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

I doubt many people are going to click "Show vote results" before they vote themselves, in a poll like this.

You guys apparently being "outliers" has little further meaning, beyond its own definition; the reason most shows are skewed heavily towards the higher ratings is a combination of the general "high-rating-bias" that appears everywhere, and the fact that most people who visit the sub-forum of a certain show beyond the first few episodes, enjoy that show.

Likely, a lot of people just really liked the episode, myself included.

Also, what you call "reaction chaud", we generally just call the "afterglow".

Grace & Peace.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:05   Link #91
velvet
"with you, happiness"

I could not found. Any. Fault. I tried.

Spoiler:

Spoiler for Naoyuki:

And Negai ga kanau basho ni II.

God I wish this episode never ended.

Old 2009-02-13, 13:06   Link #92
Sheba
Wanna Be The G.I.R.L

Quote:
I don't buy the peer pressure theory. Isn't much easier to accept that people voted without checking the poll first? Even in presidential polls, people vote according to who they think would represent their ideas better, not because surveys told them that the poll gonna be that way.

In the context of episode polls, if someone felt that the episode deserved a 10, he will do it. The same if he wanted to vote 5 or 1. Then it is up to him to tell WHY he rated this episode that way.

I'll leave the subject now and let people rate the episode according to whatever they feel it.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:13   Link #93
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

There was a saying among the otaku community in Taiwan back when AIR was released, "If you didn't cry, that's because you still haven't fully mastered your comprehension of the Japanese language." Enough said, now wait for the subs before some of you lot here brag about how cold-hearted you are.
(Edit: Well, if it makes you guys feel better, I was certainly moved but the tears won't come out. So I still have a lot to improve on my Japanese. )

I myself don't personally do these episode votes for a long time now, as it'll just get me worked up having to debate meaninglessly on why certain episodes deserve how many points.

If you point a gun at my head and ask me to choose, I would instinctively say this episode is 10 out of 10 BEFORE looking at the results, so peer pressure my foot.

Anyway, back on topic, my major disappointment was the track Country Train getting "nerfed". It was one of the best songs in After Story, and it only appears in that segment of the story, as the song title implies, and Kyo-Ani has unfortunately wasted it.

And doesn't that robot toy Tomoya bought for Ushio look familiar? (wink wink)

Trivia: For those familiar with the still ongoing "old-school" anime Sazae-san, you may recognize Shino's voice as Aso Miyoko, who plays Sazae's mother.

It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2009-02-13 at 13:24.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:13   Link #94
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Powerful. Emotional. Beautiful.

I'm reserving my words for the papers I'm currently writing, but it sums up my thoughts for the episode.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:14   Link #95
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Why a 7 then? o_o
Old 2009-02-13, 13:19   Link #96
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Proto: Because I ALWAYS give shows a rating of 7-8-ish. It's how I am.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:22   Link #97
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Roger. Hmm... with this many discrepancies between personal ranking and public rankings we never know. Maybe we should publish a standard where people that are more strict than others should increase their rating by 3 when voting in public polls, and conversely people who are too lenient should diminish it.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:35   Link #98
Ruhisu
Tomoyo/Kotomi/Fuko fan

Ushio is kawaii!!!
Old 2009-02-13, 13:55   Link #99
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Well, I watched it. I knew what was going to happen already but the impact was still extremely powerful. I'm going to wait a day before ranking in order to let the "raction chaud" effect wear off.

I never understood what people felt was so touching about Kanon. When you put Kanon, Air and Clannad side by side, Kanon feels like lukewarm water.

I hope someone is designing a Tomoya+Ushio banner for Animesuki!
Old 2009-02-13, 13:55   Link #100
AngryDango
I'm gonna wreck you

Naoyuki is such a respectable man, life really has been a bitch on him.
Tomoya is so lucky for having the Furukawas suporting him.
Closed Thread