AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2009-03-27, 03:33   Link #41
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
hello all, i have a question whether I should get CoD 4: MW or not, well i want to ask if the online community is still alive in this game. If not, should i get WaW instead? or maybe i should just wait for MW 2 instead?
I think the multiplayer scene for MW is very much larger than WaW. WaW s considered the worse of the two (from my experience) and the MW scene is still as active as ever. I also think it's much more fun.

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 15:47   Link #42
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Checked the trailer. There was Japanese voices in them.

Spoiler for Possible setting:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 15:49   Link #43
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
hello all, i have a question whether I should get CoD 4: MW or not, well i want to ask if the online community is still alive in this game. If not, should i get WaW instead? or maybe i should just wait for MW 2 instead?
CoD4's community is very much alive, and I have friends who play on and off. I see CoD5:WaW as more or less a "total conversion mod" for CoD4:MW, and not one that's done particularly well.

Do go for CoD4, you'd probably like it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I kinda want to see action take place in a major city, would be nice to have a shoot out in a big ass skyscraper or something like that, which is what I guess the teaser points to! YAY!

need moar urban warfare from MW2, CoD has always done the big country side stuff time to take it to the small streets of a city. Like having to watch out for snipers and the sort.

well whatever they decide to do I'll be getting this anyway, loved first and can't wait for this!
I agree. War doesn't start to suck hard until you fight in a major city, and when I mean major city I don't mean 2-story houses everywhere, I mean massive metropolitan skyscrapers everywhere. They sort of touched over the brutality of it in the USMC-only sections of CoD4, but I want someplace other than the desert.

Imagine Rainbow Six: Vegas with armies instead of little special forces, or maybe special forces trying to retake three entire city blocks. That's what I have in mind.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 19:06   Link #44
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
War doesn't start to suck hard until you fight in a major city, and when I mean major city I don't mean 2-story houses everywhere, I mean massive metropolitan skyscrapers everywhere. They sort of touched over the brutality of it in the USMC-only sections of CoD4, but I want someplace other than the desert.
Well, I won't say I know what combat is like since I'm not military (Yet), but any military enthusiast that's paid attention to how a battle is waged would know the environment only plays half a factor while the tactics play the other half...

The pre-Revolutionary War days of line-formations in the middle of a field or the WWI days of trench combat just don't cut it anymore, as unconventional warfare tends to be the normal as far as the bottom line in victory goes...The Revolutionary War was one of the first wars within the past couple of centuries that utilized guerrilla warfare as American troops and militia would take cover out of sight and fire in ambush on advancing British troops combined with the native knowledge of the land for Americans...Vietnam saw the brutality of both guerrilla warfare and an environment in favor of the VC turned on American troops as conventional warfare was a tactic not suitable for the thick southasian jungles...

The War on Terror in both Afghanistan and Iraq are two theaters that showcase both sides utilizing unconventional warfare...Domestic and foreign terrorists in both theaters completely utilize guerrilla-style tactics, not appearing as a regular army, not wearing any uniform, hiding within buildings, and blending in with civilians...In turn, though, the US typically sends the USMC as the first fighting force to spearhead into a combat zone, due to their small size and flexibility in combat, to break up the tactics and capacity of the enemy combatants before the US Army moves in on volume and force...Before the invasion of both countries, forces from 1st SFOD-D, DEVGRU, and SAD inserted themselves well in advance to rally covert support from locals, set up for the invasion, collect intel from within, and to sabotage communication lines during the time of invasion to prevent the local military from responding in order...During Shock and Awe in Iraq, special forces previously inserted beforehand also led guided missile strikes on ground targets...

Special forces are trained in unconventional warfare and counter-terrorism, carrying out acts of reconnaissance, sabotage, and subversion utilizing stealth and speed due to their specialized training and small personnel numbers that couldn't be accomplished by a conventional military force...They can do a lot of damage as a small stealth force, but they also provide the regular military with intel on the enemy and the combat zones in advance so they know what to expect...

That's what I liked so much about COD4, is that it was a fine mixture of both the conventional and the unconventional...Environment matters when you have guys with snipers and RPGs taking the high ground on rooftops, but with the proper tactics a squad of troops can take down an entire wall of enemies and what should be a stressful day at work just another walk through a blood-soaked park...And it was executed realistically since Infinity Ward actually took the time to let the USMC get a word in on game development...As fun as I found "Rainbow Six: Vegas 2" to be, it just had that typical Tom Clancy cheesiness...I didn't want Tom Clancy, I wanted Eric L. Haney...
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 21:43   Link #45
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Spoiler for Massive post:
Ah, but it's nothing like Afghanistan/Iraq until you have civilians to avoid to shoot at and IEDs to avoid. IIRC, CoD4 militants don't get IEDs.

I draw my "city warfare sucks" conclusion from Stalingrad and Berlin. The big part of city warfare is that conventional styles fail miserably there - tanks get stuck and shot from rooftops, cover of all types for everyone everywhere, snipers pointing at each other, booby traps everywhere, tunnels from one block to another, etc, unless the populace actually wants you to win.

I don't find CoD4 (or even Vegas 2; Ghost Recon will do) realistic at all. CoD4 is Hollywood-realistic at best, where 90% of the most noticeable things are correctly done, not counting whether certain events are even likely to happen. It's just a lot of fun. That said, I want more exotic scenarios, because the desert is about to get old like WWII did. The way they wrote in ultranationalist Russia is a start.
Old 2009-03-28, 02:14   Link #46
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Ah, but it's nothing like Afghanistan/Iraq until you have civilians to avoid to shoot at and IEDs to avoid. IIRC, CoD4 militants don't get IEDs.
Civilians!

I want civilians in my next war game...And I'm not talking about the dozen or less random "civilians" that pop out of nowhere than disappear into oblivion in any of the Rainbow Six: Vegas games...

Something never seemed right running through an entire Middle Eastern city without a single innocent dead or alive to be found...
Old 2009-03-28, 03:57   Link #47
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Civilians!

I want civilians in my next war game...And I'm not talking about the dozen or less random "civilians" that pop out of nowhere than disappear into oblivion in any of the Rainbow Six: Vegas games...

Something never seemed right running through an entire Middle Eastern city without a single innocent dead or alive to be found...
Unfortunately, even I think it would be inappropriate to have civilians to shoot. A line has to be drawn somewhere on what to allow players to do.

Besides, it gives the wrong message. Players on their comfy couches carry none of the empathy that soldiers on the ground would and would only find civilians annoying...and they'll probably shoot them just for the hell of it.

A law of video games, I guess: Every battle is pitched.
Old 2009-03-28, 04:05   Link #48
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
All I heard from the trailer was "Remember, the Russian?" and then somebody opened fire in a public place.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 04:13   Link #49
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Unfortunately, even I think it would be inappropriate to have civilians to shoot. A line has to be drawn somewhere on what to allow players to do.

Besides, it gives the wrong message. Players on their comfy couches carry none of the empathy that soldiers on the ground would and would only find civilians annoying...and they'll probably shoot them just for the hell of it.

A law of video games, I guess: Every battle is pitched.
I do remember that in Assasin's Creed, you can kill whoever you want to with little to no reprecussion. That includes the innocent cilvilians who you do find in abudance.

Now, I hope IW remember the Gaza Strip fiasco from about 2 months back and draw inspiration from it and we have the terrorist taking civillians as human shields just to test the skills of the player at hand.
Old 2009-03-28, 04:27   Link #50
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
...have the terrorist taking civillians as human shields just to test the skills of the player at hand.
Like with the VIP in the "Mile High Club" mission of COD4...

...which was the only non-combatant in the entire game, I remember...
Old 2009-03-28, 04:37   Link #51
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Like with the VIP in the "Mile High Club" mission of COD4...

...which was the only non-combatant in the entire game, I remember...
Yes, more of that. But shorten the space in which you are allowed to react to say 2-3 seconds before the CPU shoots you in the head.

And here's a crazy idea, how about allowing taking CPU controlled civillians as human shields on multiplayer ?
Old 2009-03-28, 04:43   Link #52
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Maybe they can add point or tallies for civilian casualties in the game? Like a penalty for killing too many civilians?

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 04:46   Link #53
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Maybe they can add point or tallies for civilian casualties in the game? Like a penalty for killing too many civilians?
Demotion and taking away of perks ? Great idea !
Old 2009-03-28, 04:59   Link #54
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
Now, I hope IW remember the Gaza Strip fiasco from about 2 months back and draw inspiration from it and we have the terrorist taking civillians as human shields just to test the skills of the player at hand.
Hmm it'll be awesome if IW decide to add this kind of feature, with penalties if we shoot civilians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
All I heard from the trailer was "Remember, the Russian?"
I think it's more like "Remember, No Russians". I'm thinking the head-terrorist ordered his men to shoot people aside from Russian nationalities, with this I assume the terrorists are probably Russians (again)..

EDIT : just checked wikipedia and they have a more accurate desrciption,

Quote:
The trailer opens with the Infinity Ward logo, with background noise on a green waveform turning into a series of human shaped silhouettes, then an elevator door. The perspective then changes to inside the elevator, still in green sound outlines. As the elevator descends, the occupants can be heard unzipping bags and loading guns, then one says "Sname Bog," (Russian for "God is with us") and "Remember, no Russian." The doors open up to what appears to be an airport security line, and the men advance into the crowds. A hail of gunfire and several screams are heard, then a flash of green tinted action shots is shown followed by the Modern Warfare 2 logo and the release date for the game.[8] After the release date is shown, a voice-over in Russian states the line "A revolution is impossible without a revolutionary situation," which is a quote from Vladimir Lenin. Images of Christ the Redeemer and a Brazilian favela from the Modern Warfare 2 trailer imply that the game may take place wholly or partially in Brazil.[9] With the release of the trailer, it was also confirmed that the game's title of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was officially shortened to just Modern Warfare 2.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of...dern_Warfare_2
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 05:18   Link #55
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

I must not have played CoD games close enough together or something (last one was ages ago), but I played WaW recently and really enjoyed it. I mean sure it was sort of an 'on the rails' experience which I've come to expect from CoD, but I really enjoyed the settings and story Fighting through Berlin and Stalingrad was really quite immersive to me. But I really like that old urban style house to house combat, since I found the Pacific Theater to be a little off in comparison. You guys sound like you all play for the multiplayer though.
Old 2009-03-28, 06:23   Link #56
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

I personally go singleplayer, mostly. Some personal reasons for that. WaW wasn't bad, but I found it...Treyarch material. It just didn't feel right. Very linear, even if that's CoD franchise for you. However, yes, Stalingrad and Berlin, IE: Russian parts were great as immersion scenarios.

MW was also linear but had IW quality in some way or another. Perhaps the try to make it "realistic" or something. It felt more complete than WaW.
That said, I will probably only do singleplayer on MW2 too. I do know multi is hilarious though.

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 11:28   Link #57
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Never played multiplayer on COD4, spent all my time on it running through the single player campaign...

I know multiplayer is fun, but a lot of the awe in COD4's campaign went into the photo-realism (Watch footage of it and it almost looks like coverage you'll see on a 24hr news channel) and the story-telling, especially since the story is imaginative and all-original...Sure, you've got little set side-stories fictionally set or somewhat realistically based within the WWII continuity, but it was still set in realistic history, while COD4 was set in something practically all-new with only loose similarities to today...Sure, you've read in your textbooks about the nukes of WWII, but none ever handled and used by non-state radicals in the day of NNPT...

Oh, and the gameplay...Control ergonomics were smooth enough that even FPS beginners could jump in and have fun with the rest...COD4 was my first FPS and I loved it for it's controls, even for a console FPS (The PS2 MOH games I had previously played don't count, since the AI was so stupid, an entire half-level could've been cleared by rifle-butting the enemies, like my cousin had did )...If the controls didn't work so well, it wouldn't have even been half as fun...
Old 2009-03-28, 12:49   Link #58
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Hmm it'll be awesome if IW decide to add this kind of feature, with penalties if we shoot civilians.
Well...it would be tough to pull it in multiplayer (the "taking away perks" suggestion above), just because accidents like spawning the wrong area would cause a lot of frustration.

I interpreted the "No Russian" several ways:
1) Don't shoot Russians.
2) Don't speak in Russian (they were saying that in English).
3) Don't even mention Russia if you're caught.
Old 2009-03-28, 13:36   Link #59
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

I misheard it as "Remember, we're not Russian" leading me to believe that they're denied Russian terrorists, but "Remember, no Russians" makes just as much sense if they're Russian ultranationalists...

Either way, I knew there'd be MOAR RUSSIANS...

Guess COD can't get enough of them, especially if Indiana Jones is still fighting the Reds in his retirement...
Old 2009-03-28, 15:05   Link #60
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I do remember that in Assasin's Creed, you can kill whoever you want to with little to no reprecussion. That includes the innocent cilvilians who you do find in abudance.

In Assassin's Creed you will eventually desync and have to start over from your last save point if you kill too many Civilians.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote