AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-13, 15:47   Link #1
Scorrere

Anime/manga which had an impact on you?

What are some anime/manga that seemed to have an impact on you? Either it made you realize something new or look at the world in a different way? Maybe it motivated you (Ippo definitely did this for me)? Maybe it made you see relationships better?

Basically, series/manga that caused some sort of change in yourself and wasn't just a series to watch for the action/romance/comedy but actually had an effect on your life.
Old 2009-02-13, 16:20   Link #2
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

Haibane Renmei had that effect on me.
Old 2009-02-13, 16:35   Link #3
Grif

I second the above, that had quite a bit impact on me.

Most of Makoto Shinkai's work has had an impact on me.

Extra mention goes to Saikano, its been about a year since i watched it. And it still makes me feel sad whenever i think about it. By a long way my favourite anime of all time.
Old 2009-02-13, 17:21   Link #4
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

oh man. This is the best kind of rec.

ef a tale of memories made me realize my dream

manabi straight made me think about my place in the world... and made me have a nervous breakdown

gurren lagann gives anyone the spirit to follow their dreams

earth maiden arjuna made me think about my spiritual side

all amazing shows.
Old 2009-02-13, 17:32   Link #5
Asfad

Honey & Clover 1 & 2 is the only one that gave that kind of experience for me. Your mileage may vary depending on how much you can relate to the characters, but I could totally relate to Takemoto's trials and tribulations. It made me ponder more about the future and gave me some motivation when I needed it most
Old 2009-02-13, 17:33   Link #6
Scorrere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post

manabi straight made me think about my place in the world... and made me have a nervous breakdown

gurren lagann gives anyone the spirit to follow their dreams

earth maiden arjuna made me think about my spiritual side

all amazing shows.
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Haven't seen any of these except for lagann which definitely had a major impact on me.

Keep them coming!
Old 2009-02-13, 17:35   Link #7
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Let's see:

Gurren-Lagann had the same impact on me.
Honey & Clover, too.

Aria. It saved my life.
Old 2009-02-13, 17:40   Link #8
Grif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post

Add this to my list too, Great anime <3
Old 2009-02-13, 18:50   Link #9
Scorrere

Keep the recommendations coming! All of these are what I'm looking for.

Also, anyone have some manga (that isn't in anime form or the manga form is much better than the anime) that has had an impact?
Old 2009-02-14, 05:55   Link #10
Tiran86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Aria. It saved my life.
Mind sharing the story behind that, or is too personal? Aria's one of my favorite anime, but it didn't have anything like that kind of impact on me.

As to the topic creator, I haven't seen anything thats had a lasting impact like that, although I've seen series that's mood is extremely infectious for a time after watching and still have an impact whenever rewatching it.

Last edited by Tiran86; 2009-02-14 at 06:23.
Old 2009-02-14, 06:16   Link #11
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Initial D.

It introduced me to the Eurobeat but it also opened my eyes to the world of cars. If only it had been a few years sooner I might have striven for a Lan Evo or a 180SX as my first car rather than my XR6 Falcon.

I'd also have to say Suzuka inspired me to get back into running, I used to love running the one hundred metres at school sports carnivals but as time wore on I let myself slip back and back in fitness.

Now I'm determined to run fast again.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-02-14, 06:25   Link #12
Kafriel
Senior Guest

xxxHOLIC awakened the superstitious nature in me
Blood+ made me realize that old series can still be good
Fairy Tail(manga) was the first manga I started reading, it led to the discovery of many series that haven't been turned into anime yet.
Old 2009-02-14, 07:34   Link #13
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiran86 View Post
Mind sharing the story behind that, or is too personal? Aria's one of my favorite anime, but it didn't have anything like that kind of impact on me.
Before Aria I was very emoish, felt really hopeless, I was pessimistic, and my life was almost down the drain.
After Aria, my whole personality changed, it made me optimistic (almost naively optimistic), and gave me the power to go on and continue. It was a 180 degree turn in my life.
It taught me how to seek out, how to find, and enjoy the small beauties of life.
Old 2009-02-14, 10:22   Link #14
libba
nepenthes rajah

Fullmetal Alchemist no doubt. You just don't give up no matter what. I'd say manga is even better (and pretty different from the anime), and in April we'll see the release of the new adaptation which follows manga very closely.
Old 2009-02-14, 11:17   Link #15
Scorrere

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Initial D.

It introduced me to the Eurobeat but it also opened my eyes to the world of cars. If only it had been a few years sooner I might have striven for a Lan Evo or a 180SX as my first car rather than my XR6 Falcon.

I'd also have to say Suzuka inspired me to get back into running, I used to love running the one hundred metres at school sports carnivals but as time wore on I let myself slip back and back in fitness.

Now I'm determined to run fast again.
Never heard of Suzuka, will have to check it out as I'm a runner myself (distance though). Aren't many anime about running and I can see why, though it might work if they do it hajime no ippo style.

Thanks for the recommendations, if anyone has anymore, please post them up!
Old 2009-02-14, 13:42   Link #16
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Good suggestions above. It wasn't very long ago that someone had the exact same request:
Looking for Special animes.. ones that stay in your mind

You'll probably find a few more worthwhile anime there.
Old 2009-02-14, 20:54   Link #17
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

For most people Gurren Lagann is the only mecha anime to impact their lives. But I already had a similar impact before that, it came from Yuusha Oh Gaogaigar, it instilled the message of courage and protecting others into me.

Gaogaigar and Gaogaigar FINAL, up there with Gurren Lagann as some of the best mecha anime ever.

Sharing the top ten would include Top wo Nerae! and Top wo Nerae! 2, they will teach you the meaning of hardwork, determination and guts.

For a non mecha anime, check out One Piece, both manga and anime. It is probably the only anime and manga to have stayed in the top 10 ratings and sales in Japan for its entire run, 11 years and still running, not losing a single bit of steam.

One Piece is the one anime that made me cry the most number of times, and its supposed to be a light hearted, funny and entertaining shounen series. The story carries deep and heavy messages while continuing to provide the audience with great laughs.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-02-15, 04:37   Link #18
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I echo the people that have mentioned Haibane Renmei already. It was the first anime that made me really consider my place in the universe--my reason for existence and the needs and hardships of the human state. Most anime is anime to me--I don't compare to other types of media, but Haibane Renmei is something else entirely, it has meaning and impact that transcends anime is amazing when compared to other forms of culture. Maybe it is because it deals with such issues as loss, death, redemption, hope...without the endless magical girls, harems, punk kids wielding swords and the normal cliches--instead we are left with an artist's vision and it is hard to walk away without being changed a bit by it.

If I had to say there was something else, I would again echo what has already been said--Makoto Shinkai is a brilliant director and "Voice of a Distant Star" is nothing short of amazing. In the short, short span of 30 minutes, there's more plot than most shows can have in seasons, better character development, and the way the camera uses unique and interesting angles is nothing short of breath-taking. I hate to gush about anything, but it completely changed my mind ovas. The fact that I can still have intelligent converstation with others about it, even years afterwards, makes me liken it to a great book and its bittersweet message is still poignant today.
Spoiler for spoiler for the ending:
Old 2009-02-15, 05:03   Link #19
blewin

Mushishi- it taught me how beautiful life is, no matter how small the thing is on the surface.

Honey and Clover - gave me lots of motivation to face my daily challenges... not to mention it suits because I'm also a college student. ^.^ yeah, I can really relate to the issues there.

Scrapped Princess/Last Exile/Naruto - don't give up! (determination)

Nodame Cantabile - got me back to classical music. I used to be a fan of CM, but have somehow, uh, fallen away.
Old 2009-02-15, 12:24   Link #20
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Saikano
Voice of a dostant star
The place promiced in our early day
Mononoke Hime
Haibane renmei

Thoise are the one than came to my mind for now....

Closed Thread