AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Old 2010-11-12, 17:07   Link #461
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I would actually take Louise over Taiga anytime. Why? Louise isnt that abusive when she is not provoked - but Saito provokes her all the time and thats what you get.

Just look how nice she can be when Saito is not stupid - there are plenty of examples in the novels. Anime though made it horrible.

Ryouji is a much better guy than Saito, he isnt stupid, isnt hardcore pervert etc. If you would put him with Louise I think she would have acted more nicely around him than Taiga did.

Still her tsun is because she likes saito, while Taiga's tsun at first was because she simply was a bitch.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 09:27   Link #462
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

I've read the review on Aru Hi, Bakudan ga Ochitekite. Seems like my kind of light novel, short stories and thought-provoking XD. Can somebody tell me the ISBN number for this novel so I can order it?(If it's still available that is ><)
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 09:48   Link #463
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I've read the review on Aru Hi, Bakudan ga Ochitekite. Seems like my kind of light novel, short stories and thought-provoking XD. Can somebody tell me the ISBN number for this novel so I can order it?(If it's still available that is ><)

Still available at amazon.co.jp.

On another note, new book from Sakaki Ichirou, Hitsugime no Chayka/棺姫のチャイカ.

Illustrator is NamanikuATK/なまにくATK from Nitro+ . Looks fapbulous.

Plot sounds pretty non-inspiring though, but anything + coffin gets bonus cool points right?

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2011-11-24 at 05:13.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-17, 01:05   Link #464
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

wow, thanks. I usually order from my local kinokuniya to saves delivery charges (since I usually order only 2-3 books each time XD).
Old 2010-11-17, 10:13   Link #465
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

このライトノベルがすごい!/ This Light Novel is Amazing! 2011

Title
1 とある魔術の禁書目録
2 僕は友達が少ない
3 バカとテストと召喚獣
4 ソードアート・オンライン
5 ベン・トー
6 「文学少女」シリーズ
7 「生徒会の一存」シリーズ
8 俺の妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない
9 デュラララ!!
10神様のメモ帳

Index, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Baka Test, Sword Art, Bentou, Bungaku Shoujo series, Seitokai no Ichizon series, Ore no Imouto, Durarara, Kamisama no Memochou.

F~~~ YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SWORT ARTS IN 4TH~!!!!!, KamiMemo broke into top 10~! And I have no idea that Bentou was popular at all (thought last year was a one time only thing <__<).

Illustrator
1 灰村キヨタカ
2 ブリキ
3 竹岡美穂
4 岸田メル
5 左
6 abec
7 いとうのいぢ
8 葉賀ユイ
9 狗神煌
10ヤスダスズヒト

Index, Denpa Onna/Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Bungaku Shoujo, KamiMemo, Lying Mii-kun, Sword Art, Shana/Haruhi, BakaTest, SeitoIchi, Durarara.

Kishida Mel, Hidari, abec, and Yasuda are ranked, so I'm happy.

Male Characters
1 上条当麻
2 一方通行
3 キリト
4 木下秀吉
5 佐藤洋
6 相良宗介
7 阿良々木暦
8 杉崎鍵
9 みーくん
10平和島静雄

Touma, Accelerator, Kirito, Hideyoshi, Satou (Bentou), Sousuke, Araragi, Sugisaki, Mii-kun, Shizuo.

Kirito in 3rd place, holy #$)%*@!, and Satou up there too wtffffff, why's Hideyoshi in the male ranking -___-.

Female Character
1 御坂美琴
2 アリス
3 インデックス
4 柏崎星奈
5 天野遠子
6 アスナ
7 五和
8 戦場ヶ原ひたぎ
9 藤和エリオ
10琴吹ななせ

Mikoto, Alice (KamiMemo), Index, Sena, Touko, Asuna, Itsuwa, Senjougahara, Erio (DenpaOnna), Nanase.

Wow, Alice is SECOND, and Asuna 6th with like 2 page worth of screentime in the latest novel (though book 4 was massive win for her). This is hell of a good year.

With this, Bungaku Shoujo became the only title to be ranked for 5x, and BakaTest joins the 4x club with Haruhi and Toradora (there are only total of 7 issues including this one). Although a lot of my favorites aren't top 10, I'm still glad to see some of these new faces and knowing they are getting the attention they deserve! I'm one happy camper.

EDIT: Zaregoto remains the only title to top the list without an anime ...

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2010-11-17 at 20:48.
Old 2010-11-17, 10:20   Link #466
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
このライトノベルがすごい!/ This Light Novel is Amazing! 2011

Male Characters
5 佐藤洋

Kirito in 3rd place, holy #$)%*@!, and Hiroshi up there too wtffffff, why's Hideyoshi in the male ranking -___-.
It's You, not Hiroshi. Satou You.

Anyway, that list is awful, as usual. Haganai is meh, SeiZon is hideous. Bizarre to see Nanase on the top 10 for female characters. Wonder how they make these rankings.
Old 2010-11-17, 10:24   Link #467
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
It's You, not Hiroshi. Satou You.

Anyway, that list is awful, as usual. Haganai is meh, SeiZon is hideous. Bizarre to see Nanase on the top 10 for female characters. Wonder how they make these rankings.
Ah! Let me go fix that! The list isn't that bad if you consider the reader's demographics, though Index topping off on EVERYTHING seems kinda ... the series is fun read at points but I personally have hard time getting out of earlier volumes (was it 5 or 6) and am now just watching the anime.

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2010-11-17 at 10:34.
Old 2010-11-17, 11:09   Link #468
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Ah! Let me go fix that! The list isn't that bad if you consider the reader's demographics, though Index topping off on EVERYTHING seems kinda ... the series is fun read at points but I personally have hard time getting out of earlier volumes (was it 5 or 6) and am now just watching the anime.
Yeah, Index's popularity is pretty out of this world. Fun to see Toradora still hanging on, somehow, to a decent spot, despite being over. I'm assuming Oreimo will be way higher next year, considering the splash the anime seems to be making.

I've never even heard of Kami-sama no Memo-chou, though. What's it like/about?

Guess I'll check out Sword Art Online at some point.

I love Ben-to, and looking at that list, I'm really worried they'll want to animate it. Which will inevitably suck, since it would require a massive budget to do the battles justice.
Old 2010-11-17, 11:48   Link #469
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

Quote:
Yeah, Index's popularity is pretty out of this world. Fun to see Toradora still hanging on, somehow, to a decent spot, despite being over. I'm assuming Oreimo will be way higher next year, considering the splash the anime seems to be making.

I've never even heard of Kami-sama no Memo-chou, though. What's it like/about?

Guess I'll check out Sword Art Online at some point.
I'm not so sure about Oreimo. I personally think it lacks too much substance to remain strong after the anime is over, but I didn't even get pass Vol.2 so I could very much be wrong (and likely will be according to a friend who loves this series).

As for KamiMemo, this is a slice of life/detective series involving a guy who doesn't really know what he wants to do and a NEET (loli) detective. The series has a lot of emotions and I actually got pretty depressed reading volume 1 at the time that I was tempted to drop it, but I stuck through it and absolutely love it. Alice gets pretty philosophical at times too. This might actually be right up your alley since you want more story as opposed to "service". I think there's actually an entry for it in NeoSam's lightnovel database. Sugii Hikaru is one of my favorite LN writers because he has a very broad spectrum of writing in terms of genre, yet he can invoke pretty nice response from me for all the ones I've read from him.

Sword Art is awesome for obvious reason. Kawahare Reki really spent a lot of time thinking about the stories and the setup for his world; you can see this by the side detective story he wrote for SAO on his website and a bunch other stuff that I wish I can read. I think the Death Gun file (which is the published novel) is only 464kb, but the Alicization file is like 2.64mb so ... As long as you're into VRMMO I'm pretty sure you will enjoy this.

Quote:
I love Ben-to, and looking at that list, I'm really worried they'll want to animate it. Which will inevitably suck, since it would require a massive budget to do the battles justice.
I need to keep reading this. I started volume 1 back during the summer, and I remember laughed so hard when the housewife first showed up (not sure if I've mentioned this in this topic before). The illustrations aren't bad either, obviously made me hungry at the time reading this late at night <__<.
Old 2010-11-17, 12:26   Link #470
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Sword art was very boring for me, Maybe because I already read the same concept way before in one of the Lukjanenko's books (not novel though) with much better word mastery and depth.

After volume two dropped Sword Art like a pile of brick - plot not that original and main characters boring (specially the heroine).

I can see Oreimo becoming more popular with the way anime is performing.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-17, 22:14   Link #471
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, Index has all that pseudo-science jargon that make it hard for people to follow, but I think the character and world setting is very interesting, and the later big arcs are really interesting too, since it involves all side instead of just focusing either on magic or science side.

Back to the topic though, between the 10 series listed, it seems the only one I don't have yet are Ichizon, Kami Memo, and Sword Art XD. Though I have to wonder, how do they decide the ranking at all.
Old 2010-11-18, 15:51   Link #472
Miraluka
18 forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Try Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria.....

It's seriously like reading Higurashi all over again.
Seconding this.
3rd support to this.
I still have to read the 4th volume.

Quote:
I think it's worth reading if you enjoyed Toradora at all. It's exactly like it, but completely different. Take tired old stereotypes, give them a solid backstory, then turn them upside down. That's pretty much what this author does, and I love it.
I'm with the doubt, it was pretty hard to swallow Toradora....with a bitch Taiga as main character and the usual male sandbag, its more of the same for me.
Its GT that different? If it is, I'll give a try but I still feel cautious. 2 friends of me, a boy and a girl, oftenly says to me its a bit above the average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Well, Index has all that pseudo-science jargon that make it hard for people to follow, but I think the character and world setting is very interesting, and the later big arcs are really interesting too, since it involves all side instead of just focusing either on magic or science side.
That says is enough good, despite the jargon poeple still gets dragged on reading it.
Old 2010-11-18, 16:12   Link #473
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
I'm with the doubt, it was pretty hard to swallow Toradora....with a bitch Taiga as main character and the usual male sandbag, its more of the same for me.
Its GT that different? If it is, I'll give a try but I still feel cautious. 2 friends of me, a boy and a girl, oftenly says to me its a bit above the average.
It's not my job to convince people to read her books. If you actively disliked Toradora, you are likely to find something to dislike about Golden Time as well. My point is that it's not a remake of Toradora, for those who were worrying about it being too similar.

If your friends think GT is a bit above average, I'd love to know what they think is good. Toradora still remains my favourite light novel series (and I've read 75 novels now).
Old 2010-11-21, 13:50   Link #474
Mareel

Send a message via AIM to Mareel
This is sort of off topic, but for those of you who've learned Japanese out there, what would be the best approach to learning the language. Especially as far as the beginning steps, which seem to be the biggest hurdle. I've got access to some undergraduate courses in Japanese that I could audit for free, so would that be the best approach for learning the basics of written japanese?

I'd really like to learn enough to be able to help translate light novels, as I've come to love the few translated ones that I have read. I'm an avid reader, and have read hundreds of novels in the past 10 years of so, and the genre has really piqued my interest. Plus, it'd be nice to learn the language so I could potentially continue my research in Japan with my collaborators in a few years.

If anyone has suggestions please PM me as I often forget to check this board.

P.S. I'd sell my soul for translations of the Banner of the Stars series, but I fear it'll never come to light in the US with the difficulty of its translation and lack of sells for the first series...
Old 2010-12-01, 18:49   Link #475
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

Oricon sales chart's out.

Dated 2009-12-7 to 2010-11-29

Quote:
Light Novel

1. Durarara!! 1

2. Durarara!! 2

3. Durarara!! 3

4. Baka to Test 7

5. Durarara!! 4

6. Index 20

7. Baka to Test 7.5

8. Index 21

9. Baka to Test 8

10. Durarara!! 7
Source

Quote:
New Novels (as distinguished from Literature, hence why you don't see 1Q84 on this list)

Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn! Secret Bullet 4

One Piece Film Strong World

Zerozaki Hitoshiki no Ningen Kankei: Zaregoto Tsukai to no Kankei

Zerozaki Hitoshiki no Ningen Kankei: Nyoumiya Izumu to no Kankei

Zerozaki Hitoshiki no Ningen Kankei: Muto Iori to no Kankei

Zerozaki Hitoshiki no Ningen Kankei: Zerozaki Soushiki to no Kankei

Naruto Dokonjo Ninden

Nurarihyon no Mago Ukiyoe Chou Kitan

Osoroshi Mishimayahenchou Hyakumonogatari Kotohajime*

Kaiden Restaurant Guidebook: Ghost

*I believe this is just a new version of the book.
Source

All 4 Nisio books got on the list makes me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareel View Post
This is sort of off topic, but for those of you who've learned Japanese out there, what would be the best approach to learning the language. Especially as far as the beginning steps, which seem to be the biggest hurdle. I've got access to some undergraduate courses in Japanese that I could audit for free, so would that be the best approach for learning the basics of written japanese?
I'm taking an intro class, and it's actually really fun and a grade booster <__<, so I guess that's the best way for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareel View Post
P.S. I'd sell my soul for translations of the Banner of the Stars series, but I fear it'll never come to light in the US with the difficulty of its translation and lack of sells for the first series...
Does anyone know if this series is actually over? I thought the gaiden is still going, just that he hasn't work on it over the years, but I also heard there were extra short stories that came out with the new DVD set or something.
Old 2010-12-01, 20:44   Link #476
apr
Pedestrian

Interesting to see Nishio is the 4th best-selling author in Japan, with 1.2M novels sold.

Edit: Although when you compare it to the paperback authors it kind of pales to Higashino Keigo's 6.2M.
Old 2010-12-19, 07:34   Link #477
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Interesting to see Nishio is the 4th best-selling author in Japan, with 1.2M novels sold.

Edit: Although when you compare it to the paperback authors it kind of pales to Higashino Keigo's 6.2M.
How is BEst selling author for light novel?
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 09:49   Link #478
chaos_alfa

I want them to continue with the English adaptation of Zaregoto, it was such a fun and interesting series

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2010-12-19 at 11:42.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 11:38   Link #479
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
How is BEst selling author for light novel?
Kamachi Kazuma at 2.2M volumes sold (author of Index).
Old 2010-12-20, 05:12   Link #480
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Wow... Durarara, Baka Test, and Index dominate the oricon's list O_O.

Tags
light novels