AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-03-21, 03:22   Link #121
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

It a series where popcorn and a huge size coke is in order with the over the top villians and massive portion of dumb luck on the side of the protagonist.
Old 2009-03-21, 03:38   Link #122
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
It a series where popcorn and a huge size coke is in order with the over the top villians and massive portion of dumb luck on the side of the protagonist.
Is there a lot of hacking in the sequels? I mean, it's kind of fun for now, but if half the battles will take place in cyberspace I may fall asleep.
Old 2009-03-21, 03:43   Link #123
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Is there a lot of hacking in the sequels? I mean, it's kind of fun for now, but if half the battles will take place in cyberspace I may fall asleep.
There will be a heap load of actual fighting.
Just read on.
Old 2009-03-21, 07:24   Link #124
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

http://www.light-novels.info

Added two more novels to the site, and changed the titles page for novel browsing. Now there's a miniature image you click to bring up the novel series you'd like, which beats text IMO. you guys think it's okay? (I need to figure out how to add text above and image later, otherwise all you get is the image, and that's not very useful for browsing when you need a title too, lol.)

As for the two novels I put up, one of them is "Mystic Museum," with 3 volumes currently released, it tells the tale of Dudley, and how one day in his normal routine of going to the British National Museum for reasearch, he has an encounter...

The next one is "Lottery Hero," a fantasy type story about two people, and the unlikely turn of events that put them together on a mission to discover what the relationship is between the dragons, the disease, the heretical cult/church, and their adventures. Mabel is the girl, who "hates lotteries" (read the synopsis to understand more about this) while the boy is Naval, a swordsman from a northern district, who swore life-time loyalty to the government.

What do you think? ^_^
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 07:33   Link #125
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
As for the two novels I put up, one of them is "Mystic Museum," with 3 volumes currently released, it tells the tale of Dudley, and how one day in his normal routine of going to the British National Museum for reasearch, he has an encounter...
IIRC the 3rd volume is not out yet, but will be released on the 1st of April. And according to the author herself the 3rd is the last.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 10:32   Link #126
NeoSam

I like how the titles are lined up, looks pretty good

Maybe you should also add the titles of the light novels above the light novels?
Old 2009-03-21, 10:53   Link #127
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@Assassin: Darn...! After April 1st my post will be alright, so I'll leave it like that...^_^ I tried finding a wikipedia page or something for it, as the material for my synopsis was really small...O_o do you know of any places that has more written that I could use as source for translationg?

@NeoSam: yeah...curse my lack of programming knowledge...O_o I've also run into a huge problem with my provider, but it's not really a problem in the end. lol. I just didn't know what all of the stuff meant. but i can't use the program provided, i have to manually do everything, so i use dreamweaver to work on a page and stuff, then save, and when I'm finished, upload it. So i'll need to figure out the code to put the words above the picture, which I want to do as well, just...have to figure out how, lol.

EDIT: I'm dying here. Does anybody know how to add captions in HTML? the best I can do is add the caption, but all the images end up starting on a new line.

Last edited by seaghyn16; 2009-03-21 at 11:54.
Old 2009-03-21, 17:03   Link #128
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
@ seaghyn16 - Things seem to be coming along nicely. I like the picture of the covers instead of the titles bit. It's nice. Question though, how exactly are you coming up with the titles you add? Do you see them at a bookstore or find them on the net? Are you adding ones you yourself are interested in, or ones that just haven't been covered?

@ NeoSam - I've been to your site several times and it kind of confuses me. I'm not sure if it's died or whether people are still working on it. Is it just a problem of lack of staff or something? I mean, are there plans to further the site if you had the resources?

Do you two think it might be a better idea to pool your resources and work on one site? Although I would understand the reluctance to give up on your own site. Seeing the work being done gets me excited for the type of sites they might turn into. I would love to offer my help, but I'm not sure what I would be able to offer. And more importantly, I'm afraid to commit any time when I'm not sure if I'll have any to do so with. I'll try and think about whether or not I can do something about that though. Because I certainly would like to commit some time to these efforts.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 20:59   Link #129
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
@ NeoSam - I've been to your site several times and it kind of confuses me. I'm not sure if it's died or whether people are still working on it. Is it just a problem of lack of staff or something? I mean, are there plans to further the site if you had the resources?
Its kind of been dead since the start of November >_> but I'm planning to return to work on adding news tidbits at the end of this month/the start of April...

There are "projects" I want the site (LN.org) to be involved with, but with the very little time I have, my work is taking all my time (damn work >_<), I can't work on the site as much as I would like , so that's why any type of help would be greatly appreciated.

Lack of staff + I'm very busy with work are the main problems. Also the LN.org is not the only site I work on >_> so this is even a bigger problem >_> several sites to work on and lack of time are not a good combination >_<

Last edited by NeoSam; 2009-03-21 at 21:11.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 21:36   Link #130
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
@Assassin: Darn...! After April 1st my post will be alright, so I'll leave it like that...^_^ I tried finding a wikipedia page or something for it, as the material for my synopsis was really small...O_o do you know of any places that has more written that I could use as source for translationg?
As far as I can recall there's only reviews as I searched from the links you provided in a certain place not sure whether I can still find them or not.

Quote:
EDIT: I'm dying here. Does anybody know how to add captions in HTML? the best I can do is add the caption, but all the images end up starting on a new line.
Captions? As in: pictures on the left and captions on the right (or vice versa?) I might know how, but I'll have to know how you'd like it to be first. Then maybe I can try to recall how it is done...

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 09:51   Link #131
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

updated site. I don't like it as much as i'd like to like it, if that makes sense, because of some small things, but I've finally got captions above the images. what I ended up doing was really simple. EDIT: I fixed it before posting this, lol. Anyway, somehow I just moved the picture into the same place as the text, got rid of the vspacing option, and viola, look at what we've got now ^_^. http://www.light-novels.info/titles.html

I went from messing with code, to the option in dreamweaver that says "table" then I just said 8 columns, and 4 rows. 2 rows for images, and every other row for captions. 8 images across, and so far two rows down. Just made a simple table. The only problem is, I'd really like the text to be closer to the images, but I haven't got a clue how to do that. EDIT same as above edit.

@Ryuou: As for the titles I add, it's a combo. I'll browse through bookstores when I've got a spare minute or two and look for interesting ones, but when I don't do that, I just start flipping through the logs on the label sites. For example, going to dengeki bunko's site, and browsing their archives til I find something that interests me. yeah...i'm a sucker for adventure/action stories where the male and female protagonists develop feelings for each other and there are events that cause misunderstandings, get in their way, etc etc. Those kind of stories. but ZnT moves too fast and then tries to pretend it didn't happen to elongate the story. I don't like that O_o. lol..O_o

So yes. I'm happy with my home, synopsis, titles (still want to add the alphabetized search somehow though), forums, and links. What I'm going to work on next is probably "Bunko Labels," but IDk...i might actually just fix bits of the sites now instead. Add a new teaser, etc etc.

Also, the Poll ends tomorrow 10pm japan time! if you haven't voted, do so now! But...uhm...please don't double vote . I don't know how to get the poll to only be accessed once, so you have the power to cast unlimited votes...please don't -_-. I'll fix it in the future so there will be no temptations ^_^

(vote for dragon crisis! c'mon! or kaguya! but no Rapunzel! i haven't been able to get the book no matter how much I look, and without source, I'd just make it up, lol) ((DC! is one I want to see win, lol...with kaguya in close second...but mainly DC. ))
Old 2009-03-22, 10:12   Link #132
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_FF View Post
There are some interesting titles that've already been introduced, like Ore no Imouto, Gosick, C^3, Mimizuku, etc. I bet they're great stuff to add to your collections.
Today, i found some time to check out some of them.

Im interested in "Ore no Imouto".

Ehm.. Is it somewhere in english aviable, too?

I cant read any kanjis, you know.
Old 2009-03-22, 13:17   Link #133
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Its kind of been dead since the start of November >_> but I'm planning to return to work on adding news tidbits at the end of this month/the start of April...

There are "projects" I want the site (LN.org) to be involved with, but with the very little time I have, my work is taking all my time (damn work >_<), I can't work on the site as much as I would like , so that's why any type of help would be greatly appreciated.

Lack of staff + I'm very busy with work are the main problems. Also the LN.org is not the only site I work on >_> so this is even a bigger problem >_> several sites to work on and lack of time are not a good combination >_<
I see. Haha, definitely not good combinations to get a lot of work done. Is there anyone else helping with that site? Or is it only you? (So I can gauge resources)

Once I have more time, whenever that'll be, I'd really like to help you two out. I really want a concise and all encompassing light novel site, and I'd lend a hand in helping create it. (Although I can't help with the site itself, code illiterate) I know seaghyn16 doesn't want his to be all encompassing, but eventually maybe it can be. And then if there could be a self managing system along the lines of AniDB.net, or something similar that would be awesome.

Quote:
@Ryuou: As for the titles I add, it's a combo. I'll browse through bookstores when I've got a spare minute or two and look for interesting ones, but when I don't do that, I just start flipping through the logs on the label sites. For example, going to dengeki bunko's site, and browsing their archives til I find something that interests me. yeah...i'm a sucker for adventure/action stories where the male and female protagonists develop feelings for each other and there are events that cause misunderstandings, get in their way, etc etc. Those kind of stories. but ZnT moves too fast and then tries to pretend it didn't happen to elongate the story. I don't like that O_o. lol..O_o

(vote for dragon crisis! c'mon! or kaguya! but no Rapunzel! i haven't been able to get the book no matter how much I look, and without source, I'd just make it up, lol) ((DC! is one I want to see win, lol...with kaguya in close second...but mainly DC. ))
Oh okay, I see how you go about it now. Yeah ZnT. Are you talking about the anime or novels though? Cause I've heard that the novels are much better.

And you should've mentioned that earlier. I already voted for Rapunzel, haha.
Old 2009-03-22, 14:11   Link #134
NeoSam

Quote:
I see. Haha, definitely not good combinations to get a lot of work done. Is there anyone else helping with that site? Or is it only you? (So I can gauge resources)

Once I have more time, whenever that'll be, I'd really like to help you two out. I really want a concise and all encompassing light novel site, and I'd lend a hand in helping create it. (Although I can't help with the site itself, code illiterate) I know seaghyn16 doesn't want his to be all encompassing, but eventually maybe it can be.
Eclipse, the one in charge of ComiPress, is the one handling the site's configuration. Matt handles the Karui Shosetsu Magazine. There was a time we had a Japanese reviewer (He is Japanese and living in Japan), but he quitted . There's a staff for the ComiPress site, but the LN.org is in urgent need for staff >_<

What I mentioned below will be an all encompassing light novel database... it was planned, and on my mind for about 2 years. I want someone to help make this dream come true >_<

Quote:

And then if there could be a self managing system along the lines of AniDB.net, or something similar that would be awesome.
Hush hush... that's one of the "projects" that have been planned...

Damn it, why did you have to mention this

This is the planned site for the Light Novel Database:
http://db.lightnovel.org/

A wiki like Database, that will allow anyone to add light novels, alll of their available covers, their authors and illustrators, and maybe some synopsis of the light novels (optional).

That's why I'm in need of more staff to help, I can't do all of this alone
Old 2009-03-22, 19:46   Link #135
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Haha, sorry about jumping the gun on you.

Why aren't you going to have the database be part of LN.org though? Is it just not practical to do so? And yeah, this has to be the toughest area (light novels) to find people for.
Old 2009-03-22, 20:30   Link #136
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@Neo-sam: db.lightnovel.org. I like it, lol. Also, yeah, my sites not going to be too all encompassing, but that's because LN.org and the database will be. It's more like, the more sites that are out there, the more variety of material users can use and look through. as for the database, here's what I'd be willing to do: For the novels on my site, each week you can take the ones in history, (any novels not on Page 01) and put them on the database. That will leave page 1 for me and my site, while giving you someone to work on synopses and things for novels that you need. Page01 will be my way of keeping people interested in coming, as the novels shouldn't be anywhere else, while the older ones can be browsed through on your database with all the others.

Also, I don't know how feasible it would be, but the idea where there is a picture of one of the novels from the series with a title, like http://www.light-novels.info/titles.html as opposed to http://lightnovel.org/japanese-reviews where you really don't know which one you might like, and it's kind of annoying to click all the links only to be brought to a couple novels that don't interest you O_o. So if on the wiki, instead of just titles, but this image theory could be used...I'd like it anyway...^_^

What do you think?
Old 2009-03-23, 04:39   Link #137
NeoSam

Quote:
Haha, sorry about jumping the gun on you.

Why aren't you going to have the database be part of LN.org though? Is it just not practical to do so? And yeah, this has to be the toughest area (light novels) to find people for.
The main www.lightnovel.org site can't be turned to be an all encompassing database site, its a blog like site that's made for posting >_< it can be turned to be a light novel database but it won't look good, and it will require from me to give everyone an administrative rights so they can edit the pages

The main idea is to have different sites (sub sites) for different purposes:

www.lightnovel.org --> for posting news and reviews (and some other planned mini "project")
ksm.lightnovel.org --> the site for the english light novel magazine Karui Shosetsu Magazine.
db.lightnovel.org --> the light novel databse that's wiki based, and will be configured to allow access to anyone so they can edit it (like wikipedia but only for light novels).

Quote:
@Neo-sam: db.lightnovel.org. I like it, lol. Also, yeah, my sites not going to be too all encompassing, but that's because LN.org and the database will be. It's more like, the more sites that are out there, the more variety of material users can use and look through. as for the database, here's what I'd be willing to do: For the novels on my site, each week you can take the ones in history, (any novels not on Page 01) and put them on the database. That will leave page 1 for me and my site, while giving you someone to work on synopses and things for novels that you need. Page01 will be my way of keeping people interested in coming, as the novels shouldn't be anywhere else, while the older ones can be browsed through on your database with all the others.
Thanks seaghyn. After the db.lightnovel.org is configured and can be used by everyone to add light novels, I'll add the synopses of the light novels in your history, though it would be better (after the databse site is ready) that you add them, if I add them it will look somehow like I'm stealing your light novel synopses

I'll work on configuring (I'll get Eclipse's help about this, I have no idea how to configure the wiki site >_<) the database wiki site this weekend. After the configuration is done and finished with, I'll do an example page for a light novel series, and show it to you.

Quote:
Also, I don't know how feasible it would be, but the idea where there is a picture of one of the novels from the series with a title, like http://www.light-novels.info/titles.html as opposed to http://lightnovel.org/japanese-reviews where you really don't know which one you might like, and it's kind of annoying to click all the links only to be brought to a couple novels that don't interest you O_o. So if on the wiki, instead of just titles, but this image theory could be used...I'd like it anyway...^_^

What do you think?
Ahh that's of course the idea of the Light Novel Database it will include not only the English and Japanese titles of the light novels but all the available covers of those light novel series.

I'll show you an example page for a light novel series when the site is ready, please give me your opinions, and any improvements that should be done to make it better looking/more informative
Old 2009-03-23, 08:21   Link #138
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@NeoSam: I'm looking forward to seeing the wiki, lol. It's starting to seem like a really good place for information pertaining to these novels we love so much ^_^. As for the adding novels thingy, I'll see if I can do it, but I do get pretty lazy sometimes O_o. It might be better if you add them yourself, and maybe at the bottom of the wiki page, like on wikipedia, you can link your source, and I'll put a disclaimer on my site saying db.lightnovel.org has been given my permission to use any novels on the L-N.info site not on the "New Synopses" front page. I'm cool with that. then people are linked to your database, and some other people might follow the wiki reference link to the l-n.info site.

As for Updates:

I've added in the "Bunko Labels" section, you can tell me what you think of it. Browse through if you will, lol. Also, I've added an updated "Teaser" Section. Check that out too. Two novels have their teasers out. 1 is Accel World, and 2 is TamaxNama, and the poll ended today, so I'll be doing #3, and it will be posted tomorrow. If you click on the image, you will be brought to the synopsis for the novel, but if you click on the title, you will be brought to the online pdf version you can read.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:

POLL is over. Here are the results: http://www.addpoll.com/results?30078

I'll be figuring out how to make a new one, but it will probably require you to vote on a site other than L-N.info, for logging reasons and stuff. We'll see what kind of thing I can find.

EDIT2:

The new poll is up. It's in flash format, and has IP logging, hehe. ^_^. though if you don't have a static IP or use an anon web browser...haha

Last edited by seaghyn16; 2009-03-23 at 09:08.
Old 2009-03-23, 16:12   Link #139
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
The main www.lightnovel.org site can't be turned to be an all encompassing database site, its a blog like site that's made for posting >_< it can be turned to be a light novel database but it won't look good, and it will require from me to give everyone an administrative rights so they can edit the pages

The main idea is to have different sites (sub sites) for different purposes:

www.lightnovel.org --> for posting news and reviews (and some other planned mini "project")
ksm.lightnovel.org --> the site for the english light novel magazine Karui Shosetsu Magazine.
db.lightnovel.org --> the light novel databse that's wiki based, and will be configured to allow access to anyone so they can edit it (like wikipedia but only for light novels).
Oh okay, I see. I'll be sure to make some comments on the wiki when you get it up.

@ seaghyn16 - I like having the option to sort by label, so thanks for putting that up. No more pictures for the teasers though?

Edit: I was looking around a bit and found an interesting light novel site (Jpn). More than likely some of you already know about it, but I'll post it here anyway just in case.

http://ponytail.jpn.org/lightnovel/
This one seems fairly extensive. It's a little boring visually, but it's up to date and like I said, it seems extensive. I particularly like the sales ranking down towards the bottom half. Although it's only from Amazon, it's nice to see a ranking. I only ever see them for DVDs and manga. This could be used as a nice source to gather info for an English version, of course with permission.

Hmm...I checked a bunch of sites out but I don't really like most of them. The key to a nice site is how it's organized. Most of the sites I went through were only blogs, and the ones that seemed to carry some info on a variety of titles weren't easy to navigate through. Something that's extensive, organized well, and visually appealing should be the aim for the super ranobe site I think. Then of course the AniDB/similar like functions would be nice.

I did happen to stumble across this MAD for a Clannad/Little Busters baseball epic. It's fairly well made and pretty funny so I thought I'd post a link. I'll do so over at the Clannad sub-forum too.
http://tc4g3003.blog64.fc2.com/#entry1725

Last edited by Ryuou; 2009-03-23 at 17:03.
Old 2009-03-23, 18:05   Link #140
NeoSam

Quote:
@NeoSam: I'm looking forward to seeing the wiki, lol. It's starting to seem like a really good place for information pertaining to these novels we love so much ^_^. As for the adding novels thingy, I'll see if I can do it, but I do get pretty lazy sometimes O_o. It might be better if you add them yourself, and maybe at the bottom of the wiki page, like on wikipedia, you can link your source, and I'll put a disclaimer on my site saying db.lightnovel.org has been given my permission to use any novels on the L-N.info site not on the "New Synopses" front page. I'm cool with that. then people are linked to your database, and some other people might follow the wiki reference link to the l-n.info site.
Ok, no problem, the problem now is to configure the site >_< LOL anyway I'll do my best >_<

Quote:
As for Updates:

I've added in the "Bunko Labels" section, you can tell me what you think of it. Browse through if you will, lol. Also, I've added an updated "Teaser" Section. Check that out too. Two novels have their teasers out. 1 is Accel World, and 2 is TamaxNama, and the poll ended today, so I'll be doing #3, and it will be posted tomorrow. If you click on the image, you will be brought to the synopsis for the novel, but if you click on the title, you will be brought to the online pdf version you can read.

What do you guys think?
Hmm... the titles page looks great in firefox (the titles are aligned correctly), but viewed in IE the titles are not positioned right.

Light novel labels and light novel magazines will also be in the databse, of course. lots of stuff to work on >_< you'll be able to check the pages for the light novel labels and see the light novel series published under them. Also there will be pages for light novel authors so you can check the light novel series they work on, the same with illustrators. To summarize: an all encompassing light novel site >_< (I got the shivers thinking about how much work will be coming up )

Quote:
Oh okay, I see. I'll be sure to make some comments on the wiki when you get it up.
Thanks

This is the type of site that's on my mind, the type of site that I want the Light Novel Database to follow but still to be different from it.

For example the Shakugan no Shana page:
http://hiki.cre.jp/write/?ShakuganNoShana

Like the above site the Light Novel Databse will include all covers of the light novel series, but the light novel databse will not include covers of manga adaptations nor will it include any covers of anime DVDs, it will contain info that it has a manga adaptation and/or an anime adaptation, but nothing more than that. Its a site dedicated to light novels and not manga/anime. well, at least that's how it will be different from the above site. Well, umm... what do you think?

Tags
light novels