AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 33 24.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 38.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 21.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.24%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.24%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.49%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-19, 19:10   Link #61
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
What I mean is that before this episode she was much friendlier with Ryuuji. She certainly never laughed in his face the way she has with Kitamura.
It is because Ryuuji and Kitamura are different. You can have 2 great friends, but you know that one of them could tolerate a good laugh at his face and the other not.
Old 2009-02-19, 23:03   Link #62
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Coalguys DID release it now.
Old 2009-02-19, 23:07   Link #63
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Coalguys DID release it now.
You won a tora-cookie...
Old 2009-02-19, 23:18   Link #64
Raiga
tl;dr

Just watched the subs. Lol @ Minorin.

Thinking about it, I figured out another reason I prefer to watch the raw first... especially when there's lots of dialog, I have to keep concentrating on the text on the bottom of the screen... watching it raw first, though, I get to pay full attention to what's going on visually, and all the characters' expressions and reactions, which can be quite subtle.

It's like in a sense, the first time through the raw is when I'm really watching the episode, and the subs just fill in the information I missed.
Old 2009-02-19, 23:23   Link #65
4get

Spoiler for tora-cookies not found, delivering tora-noodles instead:
Old 2009-02-19, 23:31   Link #66
typhonsentra

Thank God, I was going nuts with anticipation. Here's hoping they release at a speed similar to what they did for episode 16 for the last two episodes.
Old 2009-02-19, 23:54   Link #67
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

a very meh episode. Ami rescued it. Ryuuji is obviously conflicted between Taiga and Minorin. after this ep, there's still a flicker of hope for a Ami x Ryuuji ending. i will cling on to it.

seems like Ryuuji is crying in the last frame of the preview?
Old 2009-02-20, 00:11   Link #68
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

God you Ami worshippers sound like the leftovers of a fallen religion, it's hilarious. Ami has become nothing more then a third wheel to the entire ordeal, one who happens to know better of the situaton at hand then the two who are primarily oblivious in it.

One moment made this entire episode for me.

When Takasu was crossing the street ahead of Minorin and Taiga yelled to her to stop him, she went and grabbed his hand, then let go (while blushing~) but grabbed onto his sleeve instead. Taiga ran past them, throwing her bag into his face, telling him to take care of it since he got 'caught'. Then we go back to Minorin whose is suddenly mad at Taiga for the little 'schtick' she just pulled.

It barely lasted 15 seconds, but it was just an excellent, clear cut way to display that the characters in the show don't just fill the same old archetype, but go far past it and acknowledge the roller coaster they're riding on at the moment. A clever little way to take just a baby step forward and nudge Ryuji without ever coming near the point of being contrived or forced. I love it.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-02-20, 01:02   Link #69
Traece
:cool:

Heh. This episode was fantastic to be perfectly blunt. It feels like they got rid of that depressing tone from the last few in terms of the failing relationships and such, and replaced it with that happy feeling of the first several episodes. Plus we're learning that in a way Takasu really has become like a father to Taiga (at least for the time being), as he's taught her how to live on her own responsibly it seems. Though this will obviously be subject to change, Takasu has done a fantastic job as Minorin says.

It seems odd to me at this point that Minorin isn't being as 'selfless' as always. In the past she didn't want to get with Takasu because she was under the impression that Taiga needed Takasu (and this is clearly true, and she admits that he changed her considerably for the better). Maybe it's just because she's not really as bright as I had thought before, but wouldn't that be even more of an incentive to not interfere in their relationship? To me that sort of extremely positive influence on another person, and that sort of bond between them would point out to me that they were almost perfect for each other if they could be that close and that helpful to each other.

With those things aside, it would appear that Takasu can use pyrokinesis. Also, poor Kitamura for having to see his lover's picture in that magazine knowing she's all the way in America. He'll get his chance again though... I'm sure he will. =D

Lastly, I'm curious to know if anybody else got the same feelings about Taiga I did based on Takasu's realization that she's no longer being effected by Kitamura's presence. This gave me the impression that, whether she knows it or not, she no longer harbors the same feelings for Kitamura that she once did. Although I'm not really shy, I know that I've had this experience in the past with a girl in which I originally had feelings for her and thought of her often and tried to be as civil and polite as possible in her presence, I found in time I no longer cared for her much. I'd say Taiga is going through that same thing, where she's growing out of her liking for Kitamura. That seems to be the case in my eyes.

Edit: I would like to see Ami and Takasu getting together... But I highly doubt that happening. We could only dream though right? Admittedly, I'm considerably less opposed to Minorin and Takasu being together. Before I absolutely hated the idea and disliked her but at this point in time I'm actually fine with it. Maybe it's because they've been getting together so much better and have actually started to be cute together. =) It's hard not to enjoy the scene of her cursing Taiga under her breath because she tricked her in to grabbing Takasu's sleeve. Taiga can be quite underhanded (and undersized... <_<).
Old 2009-02-20, 01:05   Link #70
CybEssen
A gentle ripple

This episode was just depressing as a whole but still good.. I guess.

The first scene of the OP is shown to great effect in this episode. Taiga and Ami are walking away from Takasu and Takasu is walking in the same direction as Minorin. Too bad they'll all eventually collide even if they walk in different directions.

Spoiler for ep20:

Last edited by CybEssen; 2009-02-20 at 01:16.
Old 2009-02-20, 01:09   Link #71
frubam
singing heartbreak

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Call me crazy, but when things are going so well for our hero, I feel less excited as to what's gonna happen next. Not that this was a bad ep, I just start losing interest when all the confusion starts clearing up. Hopefully, with Ryuuji commenting on how everyone being together is fun or whatnot, that the shit is gonna hit the fan soon causing everyone, save Kitamura to spiral downhill.

Also, Kitamura proves to show how great a best friend he is by not knowing or inquiring if something was wrong with Ryuuji .
Old 2009-02-20, 01:26   Link #72
maxpepper

meh.

so ryuuji still likes minorin -- reaaaally????? didnt see that one coming
so taiga likes ryuuji but pretends she doesnt -- rreeaally?? wow didnt see that one
so minori actually likes ryuuji but is an emo weirdo??? -- MIND BLOWING!!!!
so after practically living (6 months?) with ryuuji taiga can now separate garbage and eat microwave food. -- she's a big girl now!

this is how this episode should have been:
1st scene - 2 minutes duration - Taiga tells ryuuji she wont be hanging around him anymore so he can get together with Minori . Ryuuji understand and says he's going to try even harder.

2nd scene - 1 minute duration - Teacher telling everybody they will be going on a ski trip.

3rd scene and beyond - start of new arc, possibly involving a bus accident and a couple of student deaths (miorin becomming a cripple would be just perfect).

Bring on the dramma dammit.
Old 2009-02-20, 01:30   Link #73
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
God you Ami worshippers sound like the leftovers of a fallen religion, it's hilarious.
It's necessary to make acerbic comments to people who haven't said anything wrong to you... why?

We like our character, 'nough said.
Old 2009-02-20, 01:30   Link #74
roan

There were a couple of cuts I'm not really satisfied by, but the overall flow worked and didn't seem all that unnatural if I just watched it. Kind of.

There are a couple of details that some of you should have paid attention to this episode, but hopefully, they'll be accentuated a little more in the next episode.
Old 2009-02-20, 01:58   Link #75
Freya

Such a disappointment.....compared to last weeks episode.

Can MinorinxRyuuji just die off already? Sigh.

Come on Taiga!!! The hell are you doing?! >< Sigh.
Old 2009-02-20, 02:01   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post
It's necessary to make acerbic comments to people who haven't said anything wrong to you... why?

I'll ask nicely then... what did you think about the STORY?
Old 2009-02-20, 02:11   Link #77
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post

Hey now, I like Ami too (I love everyone in this show actually), but if you want to treat this like a night at the horse races every week, then yeah, I can chime in against the trend of sympathy for Ami as much as you guys can for it.

:P

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-02-20, 02:26   Link #78
hai_san

Toradora develope into a Highschool Love Drama, too bad it is all only about Ryuuji & Taiga & Minorin "triangle", Kitamura+ Ami a now perfect side characters. No more "pentagon".
Old 2009-02-20, 02:49   Link #79
Janifuu
緩和

I agree with Master Chibi's statement... I personally like Ami alot as well but my god, do you seriously think there's even a remote chance for Ami and Ryuuji to suddenly pair up at this point? How the hell does that make any sense...
Old 2009-02-20, 02:59   Link #80
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janifuu View Post
I agree with Master Chibi's statement... I personally like Ami alot as well but my god, do you seriously think there's even a remote chance for Ami and Ryuuji to suddenly pair up at this point? How the hell does that make any sense...
It doesn't lol. So there's no real reason to bitch about AmixRyuuji.

Unless Toradora pulls a Akane Iro ni Somarusaka