AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-24, 23:50   Link #601
Vicious108

Just watched episode 8. Was hoping to hear some Ryo as Vegeta but the episode had to end just as he and Nappa arrived. Oh well, the big fight begins next week. Poor Yamcha's fate is already shown in the preview. In fact, it seems that more often than not, the previews show the most important events in the following episode. Not a very good way to attract new viewers...
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 00:05   Link #602
GDB

Unless you know what's going to happen, just showing the Saibaman grappling him doesn't tell you anything. It doesn't show it explode on him or anything.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 02:57   Link #603
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Unless you know what's going to happen, just showing the Saibaman grappling him doesn't tell you anything. It doesn't show it explode on him or anything.
Oh great! Now you just ruined it for everyone, good job.

I'm just kidding of course but I think they're doing a good job on the previews, it's not really spoiling anything if you've never seen DBZ.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 04:52   Link #604
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Endless Twilight is over-reacting a little bit. As pointed out, it doesn't show what happens to Yamacha at all. It's a good preview for new viewers.

Doesn't matter how many times i see it, i always laugh pretty hard at Kaio's reaction towards Vegeta and Nappa arriving a day earlier then he originally thought. Goku's reaction to that is just as priceless.
Old 2009-05-25, 12:06   Link #605
Vicious108

Actually it does still spoil in a sense. Remember that the Saibaman grappling Yamcha only takes place after their fight ends and Yamcha has seemingly won. It's a cowardly suprise attack from the Saibaman, which people will actually be expecting now. I'm not really taken aback by it, since I obviously already know the entirety of DB by heart, but eh thought I'd point it out.

Of course, it's still not as bad as episode 6 I think, which ended with Goku chasing Bubbles, the narrator asking "Will Goku be able to catch him!?" and then one minute later in the preview they show Goku indeed catching him. Now that wasn't very smart.
Old 2009-05-26, 03:11   Link #606
cereal_killerxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
Just curious what's everyone's favorite first SSJ transformation?

Would that be Goku on planet Namek?

Vegeta alone on a planet in the middle of a meteor shower?

Gohan against SSJ kamehamaeha in the hyperbolic time chamber?

Trunks under the pouring rain amidst a ruined city with Gohans body lying in front of him?
My favorite transformation without a doubt is Gohan going SSJ2 against Cell. In this scene, you get to watch Gohan's mind snap in half and his innocence fly right out the window. The mood and setting for this transformation was just breathtaking, not to mention it contains one of my favorite anime songs of all time... Spirit vs. Spirit.
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 16:09   Link #607
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal_killerxx View Post
My favorite transformation without a doubt is Gohan going SSJ2 against Cell. In this scene, you get to watch Gohan's mind snap in half and his innocence fly right out the window. The mood and setting for this transformation was just breathtaking, not to mention it contains one of my favorite anime songs of all time... Spirit vs. Spirit.
Gotta second that. That entire fight was simply epic.

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 16:41   Link #608
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Actually it does still spoil in a sense. Remember that the Saibaman grappling Yamcha only takes place after their fight ends and Yamcha has seemingly won. It's a cowardly suprise attack from the Saibaman, which people will actually be expecting now. I'm not really taken aback by it, since I obviously already know the entirety of DB by heart, but eh thought I'd point it out.

Of course, it's still not as bad as episode 6 I think, which ended with Goku chasing Bubbles, the narrator asking "Will Goku be able to catch him!?" and then one minute later in the preview they show Goku indeed catching him. Now that wasn't very smart.
I don't think it's that big a deal. I mean all the the saibamen look the same. You could just assume it was a different one from the one he ends up fighting. Should still be surprised by which one ends up getting him in the end. Though I probably would have used some other scenes than that one. So the reaction would be more "damn he got caught" than "oh so that's how he gets grabbed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Gotta second that. That entire fight was simply epic.
I'm with you that it was a great fight. It's really a toss up for me between Goku and Gohan's SSJ2 transformation. I would probably go with Gohan more since it really does bring things together. Get to see a lot of short displays of power. But that time he just simply snapped and let it all go. Glad the series is moving at a nice pace since I'm looking forward to seeing these moments once again.
Old 2009-05-27, 04:56   Link #609
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

Ah ep 8 felt too slow, but tread on!
Old 2009-05-27, 08:23   Link #610
Lone-saiyan

Will Dragon Ball Kai come on in England?
And on what channel?

?Can someone please reply?

Last edited by Lone-saiyan; 2009-05-27 at 09:20.
Lone-saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 08:57   Link #611
Lone-saiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer
Just curious what's everyone's favorite first SSJ transformation?

Would that be Goku on planet Namek?

Vegeta alone on a planet in the middle of a meteor shower?

Gohan against SSJ kamehamaeha in the hyperbolic time chamber?

Trunks under the pouring rain amidst a ruined city with Gohans body lying in front of him?

The best transformation is clearly when Goku got vexed when Krillin got killed by Frieza, then out of the blue he transformed.

The worst transformation by far is when kid Goten randomly turned SSJ. But, it is quite ironic how this process took place because, Goten asked why could'nt he turn into SSJ then when Gohan said he was "twice Goten's age", he transformed.

Last edited by Lone-saiyan; 2009-05-27 at 09:19.
Lone-saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 00:28   Link #612
Dee91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-saiyan View Post
Will Dragon Ball Kai come on in England?
And on what channel?

?Can someone please reply?
Well i don't know about that.. But you can watch it online!

And i gotta agree that Gohan VS Cell was the best fight
Dee91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 02:39   Link #613
Vicious108

Personally, I thought Gohan vs Cell Jrs. was better. Easily the most badass one sided ownage in all of Dragon Ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I don't think it's that big a deal. I mean all the the saibamen look the same. You could just assume it was a different one from the one he ends up fighting. Should still be surprised by which one ends up getting him in the end. Though I probably would have used some other scenes than that one. So the reaction would be more "damn he got caught" than "oh so that's how he gets grabbed."
Yeah, that's what I meant. It's not a big deal, but they definitely could've picked more appropriate scenes. Oh well, the vast majority of Kai's audience must be people who've already gone through DBZ more than once before anyways.
Old 2009-05-28, 03:48   Link #614
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Personally, I thought Gohan vs Cell Jrs. was better. Easily the most badass one sided ownage in all of Dragon Ball.
When it comes to one sided fights in the series, my personally favorite will always be Vegetto vs Super Buu, for obvious reasons.
Old 2009-05-28, 15:59   Link #615
Vicious108

Yeah that one was pretty fun as well. Not everyday you get to see chocolate candy kick the crap out of the big bad in a fighting series.

Still, to me nothing beats Gohan literally punching that last Cell Jr.'s head off. Pure hardcore curbstompage, which I think got censored in the English dub, unfortunately.
Old 2009-05-29, 07:21   Link #616
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Still, to me nothing beats Gohan literally punching that last Cell Jr.'s head off. Pure hardcore curbstompage, which I think got censored in the English dub, unfortunately.
Gohan was actually slated to become the series next main character after Goku, but Toriyama himself admitted that it simply won't work out. Then again, that is why he had so much pwnage in Cell arc.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 10:13   Link #617
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I always thought that the decision to remove him from the spot light came a bit too late, considering that he was there for quite a while. The second opening even made it look like he was the main character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight
Not everyday you get to see chocolate candy kick the crap out of the big bad in a fighting series.
Only in Dragon ball can a Malteser win against a pink alien.

My personal favourite fight has to be Super Saiyan 3 Goku against fat buu. Though the best one had to be the one in movie 12 against Janemba.
Old 2009-05-29, 21:52   Link #618
Ryuujin

Quote:
Poor Yamcha's fate is already shown in the preview. In fact, it seems that more often than not, the previews show the most important events in the following episode. Not a very good way to attract new viewers...
Japan's always been real bad about that. That and putting spoilers in episode titles (the most egregious one I can think of it episode 45 of Sailor Moon...).

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 03:10   Link #619
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

^

Eh, not always.

If you watch Zeta Gundam and other old shows, they even reveal the DEATHS and the full plot of the story in the previews. Even in their original syndication, when I was only beyond that of an infant, I was like "WHHAAATT????"
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 03:39   Link #620
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
If you watch Zeta Gundam and other old shows, they even reveal the DEATHS and the full plot of the story in the previews. Even in their original syndication, when I was only beyond that of an infant, I was like "WHHAAATT????"
That's nothing. The back of the US box set for Zeta Gundam talks about a character that dies in the last 5 episodes.