AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Old 2004-02-21, 22:30   Link #1
Merco
I like pie

[Non-spoiler manga] What's your take on the new rendition

I imagine enough of you guys have read the first two volumes which came out in the US, even if you didn't it doesn't really matter since more then likely about 90% of you Naruto fans would have watched enough of the anime to cover those volumes.

Anyways, the thing I want to discuss is what do you think of the 'creative' changes to the translation. ( I was thinking about this during the drive back to my house)

Not all of the changes are bad, nor good. One good one to mention is the part where Sasuke says "You are annoying".

The US translation is "You sicken me". IMO at least this phrase conveys the point a bit better. Sasuke's family died, Sakura is treating family like a commodity, Sasuke would say more then just "you're annoying".

Now for the long list of translations that were better off directly translated...

Kage bushin : Art of the doppleganger vs. Shadow Replication

Sexy no jutsu: (as described, or better yet, Art of SEXY! *chuckle) vs Ninja centerfold :wtf

and the list goes on...

Granted, they couldn't leave it exactly like it was in Inane, but I liked some of inane's translations better. What do you think?
Merco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 22:37   Link #2
Dorfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merco
Granted, they couldn't leave it exactly like it was in Inane, but I liked some of inane's translations better. What do you think?
I think only Mangascreener and Toriyama's World did the earlier volumes of Naruto, so the "Inane" bit doesn't really enter into it.
Old 2004-02-21, 23:08   Link #3
Merco
I like pie

ah, good point.
Old 2004-02-21, 23:17   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I'm not sure if it'll hold true, but I've read a few chapters in the US shonen jump where they seem to be backing away from the crappy translations and leaving the names of jutsu alone. Maybe they got enough negative response from fans to change their minds about ''art of doppleganger''. Of course I only read 2 chapters in the same issue, so it may have just been that one time. Unfortunatly there other problems with the dialog. Kakashi in particular seemed to be saying things that didn't quite fit his personality.
This wouldn't be the fist manga by viz that changes translations of some things midway through.
Old 2004-02-22, 13:02   Link #5
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

Well I doubt that the exact translation is neither "you're annoying" or "You sickin me" Ask Kiba the anime -influx translator but I'm prety sure about this.

I think any "inane" translation suck and that any fansub translation is waay better by the fact they (most of them) dont try to americanise the translation and leaves it word for word . No anime character is american as I know
Old 2004-02-22, 13:40   Link #6
Merco
I like pie

Well, inane technically is a fansub translator, the version put into US markets were translated by Viz. *shrug*

Inane has been pretty faithful with keeping the translation relatively accurate (at least IMO). I'm glad that the feedback has made Viz think about better ways to translate some of the rather stupider jutsu names. (ninja centerfold... meh)

As far as Americanizing manga and anime goes, I for one would love for these chapters/episodes to be as accurate as their japanese counterpart translations. But to be honest it will never be 100% accurate to the Japanese translation mostly because of culture differences.

There are tons of Japanese saying that cannot be translated to English, or whatever languages without complete and utter confusion. Same goes the other way around. Would there be a sufficient saying in Japanese for the translation, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?

Ok that was a random example (kind of archaic), but the point still stands.
Old 2004-02-22, 16:03   Link #7
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merco
Well, inane technically is a fansub translator, the version put into US markets were translated by Viz. *shrug*

Inane has been pretty faithful with keeping the translation relatively accurate (at least IMO). I'm glad that the feedback has made Viz think about better ways to translate some of the rather stupider jutsu names. (ninja centerfold... meh)

As far as Americanizing manga and anime goes, I for one would love for these chapters/episodes to be as accurate as their japanese counterpart translations. But to be honest it will never be 100% accurate to the Japanese translation mostly because of culture differences.

There are tons of Japanese saying that cannot be translated to English, or whatever languages without complete and utter confusion. Same goes the other way around. Would there be a sufficient saying in Japanese for the translation, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?

Ok that was a random example (kind of archaic), but the point still stands.
I would like to see them come up with better names... i dont mind if they dont call it sexy-no-jutsu, cuz that would be akward, seeing a japanese word in an english manga...

but i do mind the sound effects. alot. but again, it wouldnt make that much sense if they translated EVERYTHING into english.. but the SFX.

Inane>Viz... but on the other hand, viz has superior quality (cuz my printer is crap, not because of any failure on their part)
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-22, 21:12   Link #8
Lee-pimp
A.S.S. Vice President

basically her comes the americanization were gonna have na-RU-to on our hands damn american companies they should just leave everything that they can alone dont edit so much i really hate american companies that edit this stuff so much they killed dbz, yu yu hakusho, ruruoni kenshin and others. i mean i know they cant just leave in sexy-no-jutsu but they could at least call it something better then 'ninja centerfold' and kage bunshin is art of multiple doppleganeers (normal bunshin is art of the doppleganger) they could at least call it shadow clone or something like that.
Old 2004-02-22, 21:36   Link #9
Grav
Gone

Send a message via AIM to Grav
Everyone in America pronounces it as "Nay-rue-toe" or "Nah-rue-toe"
Grav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 00:28   Link #10
TheGreatYakoshi
The Baka Mangaka Returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Everyone in America pronounces it as "Nay-rue-toe" or "Nah-rue-toe"
Tsk, Grav, you naughty generalizer, you.

Anyway, I appreciate Viz for bringing Shonen Jump manga to the U.S., but after reading Inane's translations for so long, it's quite hard to stomach "Ninja Centerfold!!" or whatever the hell Kakashi called the kuchiyose no jutsu in this month's issue. But at the same time, they say "kekkei genkai" instead of bloodline limit, which is interesting. Does this mean we can look forward to Konoha Sempuu and Ura Renge later?
TheGreatYakoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 07:03   Link #11
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

There are two real problems with the 'official' translations of this kind of stuff, first the translators must deal with the policy of his compagnies (censure, japanese way of reading, etc.) but it's especially the fact that the translators aren't fans, at best they don't know the series, they don't really know neither the story nor the characters.
And at worst they dislike it.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 12:00   Link #12
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
There are two real problems with the 'official' translations of this kind of stuff, first the translators must deal with the policy of his companies (censure, Japanese way of reading, etc.) but it's especially the fact that the translators aren't fans, at best they don't know the series, they don't really know neither the story nor the characters.And at worst they dislike it.
oh crap! No hope for any purity!

Yet translators (& company) can take the money and go home knowing that no one appears to care enough to do it correctly as fans desire. Where do I sign up for a job like that! I know we are lucky enough to have English translations but still, if someone is bothering to translate and SELL it they should do it right. Sounds almost like the translators have a gun to their head while doing it from thoughts posted here.....