AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 43 32.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 29.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 15.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 11.94%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 7.46%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-03-07, 02:51   Link #161
Nenkitsune
Ive been MikuCaramellized
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Lord View Post
After watching 22 episodes, I can finally confirm that this is the most psychological comedy/romance anime I've ever watched. it truly is a unique series. Looking forward to next week's episode.



I noticed it surprisingly fast (before the subs came out). Ami and Minorin aren't too different from each other on account of they're both romantically challenged. Well I guess that goes for all three girls (in addition to the ex school president).
not only are they both similar on that level

but they both put up masks to hide behind on a similar level.


Ryuuji seems to be causing problems though without realizing it. He likes Minori, but he also cares deeply for Taiga. Taiga knows he likes Minori, Minori knows he likes her, and she likes him, but Taiga likes him. this screws EVERYTHING up.

he needs to not be so indecisive with his feelings...(I would know >_> I caused lots of problems because of my indecisiveness)

as for Ami...she seems to like Ryuuji, but would NEVER openly admit it, and never actually show any direct feelings of liking him. sort of one of those love hate type things or something.

she also seems to be there to instigate a lot of conflicts. she's probably sick and tired of how ryuuji can't make up his mind and state things clearly for everyone, though I doubt he could even do so to himself.

ahh well, I'm looking forwards to next week. after it's all over I may have to watch every episode in one sitting to fully understand the whole psychological aspect to this show.


ah, well, forgot to add stuff.
I think ryuuji is starting to make up his mind on how he feels about Taiga, but Taiga wants to forget that event even happened. Something like that is impossible, for both of them. Even if Taiga believes that it was all a dream, even though everyone says it was, something in her mind will make her think that something is wrong in thinking that. Same with Ryuuji. something like that just can't be erased from your mind.
and I doubt Kitamura was the only one who saw Ryuuji carry Taiga back (oh, wait, if I remember, didn't he say that they fell and the rescue crew found them? if that's the case, that means that basically EVERYONE would know that Ryuuji was the one who went and saved Taiga. hmmmmmm)
__________________

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 02:58   Link #162
yuki87
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 27
Wow the first 30secs of this episode are pure win. "TAIGA!!!" so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTittycakes View Post
just wondering, has anybody thought that Ryuuji should just be a chef? His cooking skills r godly so ....
Chef Ryuuji.... My thoughts exactly when they were talking about their future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Did anyone else notice the scene where Ami got made and went to her spot and thought it was Ryuji coming around the corner?

When she sees that is Minori she gets a really disapointed and then says

"Why did it have to be you?"

The vending machine scene cracked me up though I do feel sorry for Ami.

Taiga showing up at Ryuuji's door near the end was perfect as were the scenes after. Can't wait till next episode.
__________________
yuki87 is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 08:54   Link #163
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Finally understood what's going on.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki_tohru View Post
Spoiler for complement of the explanation from an original novel:
The sudden insight into Yasuko in this episode makes it interesting enough for me to leave a comment for once.

I've always wondered how a ditzy woman like her could have brought up an intelligent, well-behaved son like Ryuuji. Now I know.

Here's to all mums out there: Thanks for everything.
TinyRedLeaf is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 08:55   Link #164
Fran~
floating away...
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beyond World's End
Love's mother is the biggest education to a kid. You don't need to be like Einstein... you only need love.
__________________
Improving my english ^^
Fran~ is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 08:59   Link #165
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I thought it was a really good episode even though they are kind of prolonging the inevitable.

I'm very interested with the whole thing of Ryuuji and Yasuko. I really hope they put in some more insight with that since we are finally focusing on the Takasu Family. What does Ryuuji really want to do? Why is Yasuko acting the way she is acting? What purpose did Inko-chan have at all in this series?

While Ami didn't appear for long in this episode, you can't help but feel for her. She's scornful, but she has every right reason for it. Especially with the conflict with Minori. When she said that statement at the end...I was just amazed. It was like. "Damn...she shut her down COMPLETELY." What a move...

Part of me wonders though, why does Minori exactly think this whole thing is a good idea? Let's look at the facts that she wants Taiga and Ryuuji to be together. No matter what happens, she wants them to be with one another. So why isn't she talking to Taiga at all about this? She talks about how she wants to continue acting this way with everyone so she can keep her friendship with Taiga, but doesn't she realize she's just separating herself more and more by not confronting this Ryuuji situation?

The two of them really need to talk about this. Maybe for a lol, Taiga and Minori can agree to share him.
Nukerjsr is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 09:40   Link #166
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Ya know, Ryuji should get hit by a car next episode. Then we will be getting 3 confessions of love from the girls at the same time in the last episode.

I couldn't agree more with War_Lord, this is seriously an anime which is deep in meaning, and requires a lot of inner reflection to discover it. Many think Ep22 is uneventful, but if you look closely you can see a lot of very subtle things.

Like Ami saying, "When the child is not there, the father can do anything he wants." She is actually pointing to how comfortable he is around Minori in the absence of Taiga, something like what Ryuji said to Taiga regarding Kitamura. You get my drift.

Another point is how Ryuji wants to keep Taiga's confession a secret, but that event has already placed Taiga as a possibility for himself. Relating back to Ep9, Ryuji thought that being with Taiga for the rest of his life is something hard to imagine, but things take a twist for him now after hearing her confess.

But something which bothers me is the mentioning of Ryuji's financial background and his ambition. There are only 3 more episodes left, and those factoids about him don't advance the story forward very much and are simply taking up precious little time. I must admit, I found it hard to be interested in those facts, since they won't play a part in the later story. (That is unless they create a 2nd season, which is very, very unlikely.)

For the greater part however, this has been quite an episode.

Last edited by wistfulloner; 2009-03-07 at 09:50.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 13:08   Link #167
fish eric
like to talk to fish?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
But something which bothers me is the mentioning of Ryuji's financial background and his ambition. There are only 3 more episodes left, and those factoids about him don't advance the story forward very much and are simply taking up precious little time. I must admit, I found it hard to be interested in those facts, since they won't play a part in the later story. (That is unless they create a 2nd season, which is very, very unlikely.)

For the greater part however, this has been quite an episode.

I have seen a couple post so far saying that this anime is being "dragged out" and here also you are talking about there not being alot of episodes left and certain events not being important to the story. The JC staff isn't writing this story. They are adapting it from books that are already written. And everyone knows that books are always way more in depth, longer, deeper, more internal dialog.

I guess what I am trying to say is that IMO so far the people who are making this anime are doing a wonderful job with the pacing. If you are gonna take on a project like this you really need to make a story board in the very beginning and figure out exactly how you are gonna spread the story out across 25 episodes.

Just have a litte faith!


However, regardless of my previous statements concerning your statements.

The facts about Ryuji's financial situation are not only going to play a part in the story eventually. They are gonna play a part in the next episode. Did you watch the previews for next weeks episode. First something is mentioned about chocolate and then Ryuji and Taiga are wearing work outfits in some kind of bakery/confectionery. So I am guessing that he went ahead and got a part-time job even though Ya Chan forbid it.


and...
Spoiler for Ryuji's financial situation:
fish eric is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 15:06   Link #168
Janifuu
緩和
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I'd be pretty surprised to learn if Inko-chan's purpose in the series was anything more than comedy relief >_> And I'm sure its self explanatory why Yasuko is going to the extent that she is to ensure Ryuuji gets his education, wouldn't you want the same for your kid?
Janifuu is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 15:26   Link #169
MarmoO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Poland
I don't like how they turned Taiga into "Mary Sue" kind of character (at first she was by far my most favourite character), who's willing to sacrifice her feelings for the sake of her friends. She doesn't want to interfere, so she wants to leave to make everything work out as it is. What irritate me is the fact she's the only serious choice. What irritates me more is the fact that the character who I diss the most - Minorin is the one who's the most mature. Ami (who's right now my most favourite character) fails at one thing, she knows she's out of the contest and what's irritating her most is Minori's behaviour, who she thinks is in the game, she's blaming Minori because she doesn't act true to her feelings, she see herself in her, but with the difference Minori's the one who Ryouji loves. Ami and Minori are almost the same - Ami has someone to blame and in a way to hate (Ami knows she's the fifth wheel, but thinks Minori is unnecessarily sacrificing her feelings because of her friendship with Taiga, Minori knows Taiga is the only one for Ryouji. Ami is the only one who's really lost and I can't help, but fall for her. She's excepted to be the most mature, but in her maturity she's the one who's the most childish. Still, I liked this episode.
MarmoO is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 16:26   Link #170
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarmoO View Post
Rant Rant Rant.

Still, I liked this episode.
Why the hate for Minori? Just because your favourite character, Ami, is getting pissed off by her?

At least she is trying to make things work out for everyone at the expense of herself, even if it doesn't really work.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 16:39   Link #171
MarmoO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Why the hate for Minori? Just because your favourite character, Ami, is getting pissed off by her?

At least she is trying to make things work out for everyone at the expense of herself, even if it doesn't really work.

I agree, Minori would have been the best a person, but I just don't like her, she's trying to be selfless for the sake of others, but in the end she will be the one to be hurt the most, I hope it won't turn into yandere bull. Ami is also trying to make things work out for everyone at the expense of herself, even if it doesn't really work, but she at least doesn't lie to herself, she's hurt and pissed off, but at least she doesn't lie to herself and others, when she's mad she at least comment on it, Minori only smiles.
MarmoO is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 17:31   Link #172
Janifuu
緩和
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarmoO View Post
I agree, Minori would have been the best a person, but I just don't like her, she's trying to be selfless for the sake of others, but in the end she will be the one to be hurt the most, I hope it won't turn into yandere bull. Ami is also trying to make things work out for everyone at the expense of herself, even if it doesn't really work, but she at least doesn't lie to herself, she's hurt and pissed off, but at least she doesn't lie to herself and others, when she's mad she at least comment on it, Minori only smiles.
Minori may be going about things in the wrong way, but the good intent is still there. Ami isn't entirely different from Minori in my opinion, although her tactic to make things work for everyone is very confrontational and subjective. Among the distinguished differences between the two of them I feel is that Minori is trying to go about things in a positive manner, where as Ami is behaving childishly about it and derives her ill focus into negative energy whether she realizes it or not. Ultimately though the good intent is still there, from both people and both perspectives.
Janifuu is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 19:06   Link #173
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
I disagree with Taiga being a Mary Sue. Maybe it's a little odd how quickly Ryuuji came to realize his feelings for her but the same could be said for her. Really Ryuuji's just as "Broken" as she is.

Crazy good grades, a legion of admirers and all that.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 19:10   Link #174
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I disagree with Taiga being a Mary Sue. Maybe it's a little odd how quickly Ryuuji came to realize his feelings for her but the same could be said for her. Really Ryuuji's just as "Broken" as she is.
It's been lingering there since the first few books though.

Not quite so much in the anime, but...


Yeah, though. Taiga isn't a Mary Sue. Mary Sues do not get suspended from school. Ever.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 19:52   Link #175
Justin Kim
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, California
I think the story has developed an unrequited love sequence after the incident with Taiga and Ryuuji. All we can hope is to see what lies within the next episode, and speculate even further. Taiga just wants Ryuuji to be happy / satisfied with his life, after all the things he has done for her. Without Ryuuji, Taiga would probably still be stuck with that nickname feared by everyone by her violent actions. Same goes for Ryuuji, he can benefit from Taiga. He learned alot of moralistic lessons that helped him develop friends and realize that he can be accepted for who he is, not how he looks in comparison to his father.
Justin Kim is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 20:22   Link #176
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
I don't know what to think anymore. The ball was rolling so fast and they stopped it. Unfortunately, I think it'll be a Ryuji x Taiga ending but it all fits.
DragoZERO is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 20:38   Link #177
Janifuu
緩和
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Why do you consider a Ryuuji x Taiga ending to be unfortunate? Would the two of them pairing in the end hinder the story in any way?
Janifuu is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 20:39   Link #178
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Because I would have preferred a Ryuji x Ami ending.. so I guess unfortunate only in my eyes, lol.

Oh, plus its a bit too predictable.
DragoZERO is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 20:46   Link #179
Justin Kim
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, California
Lol almost every single anime is predictable if the the animators give you enough foresight to what each character is thinking. Toradora is one of those anime shows in which you can actually predict the events logically and get them right most of the time, because their is massive character development between main characters and minor. Although what Ami's thinking right now is apparently vague to me, I can almost tell how everyone else will react as we get to the ending.
Justin Kim is offline  
Old 2009-03-07, 21:42   Link #180
fish eric
like to talk to fish?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's been lingering there since the first few books though.

Not quite so much in the anime, but...


Yeah, though. Taiga isn't a Mary Sue. Mary Sues do not get suspended from school. Ever.


You are right about it being more obvious in the books. But there are still a couple of hints as to how Ryuji feels.

At the diner when Maya is trying to get Kitamura and she says to Ryuji that she can tell he likes Aisika. Then when he was going down the snow bank to get her. He wouldn't let Minori go and says to himself that he will never let her go again.

Its just like with how Taiga realized her feelings. It was once she truly believed he was gone (together with Minori) that she started to cry and realized she couldn't be happy without him.

When Taiga was missing I think Ryuji thought the same kinda thing, but maybe he isn't there all the way yet.
fish eric is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.