AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-10, 07:37   Link #21
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'll see your Barney Frank and raise you a JFK:

"For the great enemy of truth is very often not the lie–deliberate, contrived and dishonest–but the myth–persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

Behind every great politician is a damned good speech writer.
Old 2009-03-10, 08:01   Link #22
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfully Naomi View Post
The thing is, if you want your opinion to be respected, you should respect the opinions of others.
That is very true, unfortunately some people may resort to flaming or personal attacks in the heat of debate. And that's the time mods step in to keep things in order. The moderation here on AS is just on the right level (own opinion).

Almost 2 years of stay here and only experienced deletion of my posts twice. One was about going off-topic and another time when I thanked a fansub group that subbed a licensed anime at Officlal thank you thread.
Old 2009-03-10, 08:10   Link #23
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Sinfully Naomi Send a message via Skype™ to Sinfully Naomi
This is why debates should only be allowed to people who are mature enough! And blah blah blah.[/hasprovenimmaturation]

But seriously, that's not what a debate should be about, just state facts, or strongly backed-up theories. There's no need to throw personal things into a debate, a debate about anime at that.
Old 2009-03-11, 06:00   Link #24
monir
cho~ kakkoii

And I shall see your Barney Frank and JFK with W:

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - W
I'll go ahead and collect the pot on the table.
Old 2009-03-14, 09:20   Link #25
TheZap
Mod Magnet XD

Quote:
I feel that the moderators should loosen their grip just slightly
I tottaly agree dude
Old 2009-03-14, 10:05   Link #26
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Sinfully Naomi Send a message via Skype™ to Sinfully Naomi
I don't really see them as being all too strict. Although, they have never "bothered" me, or had anything to complain about with me, so I can't really see them as overly-sensitive as everyone is saying.

But still, mods are supposed to stop things before thye get to the worst case scenario. So I can understand where they're coming from when they may seem harsh. I can see why this says "Moderators/members being oversensitive". I understand, it's the members being oversensitive. Mostly because you don't want to get corrected when you're in the wrong, and only want things your way. Which is why you want the grip loosened to say. Because you don't want to hear that you're wong.

I have never seen a moderator here perform unrighteous judgement, so it has to be the members.
Old 2009-03-14, 16:51   Link #27
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZap View Post
I tottaly agree dude
Well, that's really a helpful comment especially after a couple dozen postings explaining various positions on the subject. Perhaps you might tell us why you agree?

Personally, I'm very happy with the level of moderation on this site; if anything, I'd probably be more strict than the mods. Reading the "do your parents watch anime" thread this weekend is a good example of why moderation is important.

I generally fail to find flaming of much value when it comes to intelligent argument. I'm also perplexed by the level of invective people can throw around about a subject as trivial in the greater scheme of things as anime. The posting the OP cited is, to me, a good example of why moderation has value, not an example of why it needs to be relaxed. Who really learned much from watching K_S and various other parties lob shells at each other.

I came here because people wrote in proper English and generally respected the opinions of their fellow members. If the mods have to kick butt to maintain the high level of discourse that this site has shown over the years, they have my blessing. I doubt I'm alone in these feelings.
Old 2009-03-14, 17:39   Link #28
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Maybe some sort of appeal process would help?

Not that the moderators will necessarily take up the idea, since it means more work. Forum posters tend to forget that AnimeSuki is essentially a dictatorship, not a democracy.
Old 2009-03-14, 18:48   Link #29
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Appeal?! *Cats laughs* This is animesuki, better to try your luck appealing to God then to the staff here. (seriously)

It did not occur to me earlier utill this recent talk, but the staff in everyones eyes seem to be now some "borg army" rather then fellow members (like in the old days). It would not surprise me if all the complaints just translate to simple distrust. I can see how people feel harassed when told they did wrong by someone who might not even like the genre they watch, let alone the show in question.

Tsk, I warned xris their "everyone moderates everything" system is going to consume their souls.
Old 2009-03-14, 19:09   Link #30
Slice of Life
eyewitness

If anything, I'd like the moderators to be more sensitive in one area, namely in the Fansub Groups forum. I admit that I'm totally ignorant about some parts of animesuki because I hardly ever visit them, but from those I visit that particular forum has sometimes an atmosphere of aggressive bitchiness one won't even find in the most heated discussions in the politics forum. But maybe this is only my warped perception.
Old 2009-03-14, 19:09   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't know about "the staff in everyone's eyes" ... thats a bit hyperbolic. As it is now, the moderators each have their own style and breakpoint --- and if a moderator stomps on something and someone complains (legitimately rather than whining), I've seen them huddle and reach a consensus different than the initial ruling.

<shrug> I've received infractions and post deletions I've deserved and the 2 times I can think of I objected back, I got 1 out of 2.

edit: The Fansub Group area comes closest to 'some other forum' I used to play at in terms of queen drama, bitchslap fights, and other uber-angst Frankly, it needs someone with a Dokura-chan moderation temperament
Old 2009-03-14, 19:20   Link #32
escimo
Paparazzi

Actually moderating a forum would be an useful learning experience for all forums users. Out of personal experience I can the that we the mere mortal users can be a royal pain in the... you know where. Especially off topic is an issue that seems to always raise some heated discussions about moderation.

I had the luxury of being part of one forums clean up operation. Basically going from unmoderated to moderately moderated and boy was I hated.

Mods in all honesty have a shitty job so I'd say it's better to just shut one's piehole and let them do their work, (volunteer work I might add) I assure you, you don't want the alternative option of no moderation either.

I really can't figure out what all the fuzz is about here. I think that the mods here do a good job of keeping the forums in check without going too nazi on anyone. On my list Asuki is actually one of the more loosely moderated forums.

Appeal...
Get real. Shall we also form juries out of random members that makes a suggestion of judgment to the mod staff. *slips off jury duty*
Old 2009-03-14, 21:20   Link #33
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I can see how people feel harassed when told they did wrong by someone who might not even like the genre they watch, let alone the show in question.
I'm sorry to say that the above is a shockingly skewed and bitter perception that is shared by extremely few people that surely can't exceed the number of fingers in my hands. We have the most engaged group of moderators that usually actively participate in a sub-forum/threads that is dedicated to a show or genre. They are also the ones who are adopting the role of moderators for those section just because of the familiarity with the members who frequent those section.

Quote:
Tsk, I warned xris their "everyone moderates everything" system is going to consume their souls.
I want to cry! You are over-analyzing, Cats... but you are also very sweet. We are doing fine, Cats, including Ojisan!
Old 2009-03-14, 21:54   Link #34
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

To be honest there is one moderator i feel takes too much liberty with their personal opinion when making decisions about the fourm. However generally i think this fourm does a great job moderating. Being on the tough side really keeps it clean. In fact there are a few trolls i would like to see shot out of a cannon.
Old 2009-03-14, 23:05   Link #35
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Well, I have never felt that the mods (or the rules in general) are actually strict; If anything, I sometimes think that people get used to certain guidelines (from other forums) and somehow want Animesuki to be just like those places.

The signature rules are a perfect example of this. When someone complains about them, they often do it by comparing them with the rules of other forums.
Old 2009-03-15, 05:02   Link #36
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
We are doing fine
That is good to hear.
Old 2009-03-15, 07:34   Link #37
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Mods being oversensitive?
Looks like some people here never actually experienced a real moderator hell. There's a lot of sites where mods ban you for a simplest mistake, some absolutely absurd reasons, or personal matters. I even know of a site where they ban whole countries because of one person's actions. Those are to be complained about, not the AS staff.

I say this forum is outstandingly moderated. I know, I'm not really suitable for such a statement, not as much as people, who lurk these forums from back 2003-05, but still, I've seen a few of the mod-assaults and so far, they were all for the "greater good" (sorry, couldn't think of a more appropriate phrase ), trying to prevent the worst scenario.

I believe, it's the number of new members registering now and then. Some of them are not sure what to expect, not familiar with the community yet. Heck, even I misunderstood a few people at the very beginning of my membership (shame on me ). Thanks to such, some discussions are going a bit overboard from time to time. Nothing unusual, I say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
This also holds truth. Until people get used to a new forum, tensions are high.
And they shall remain high as long as people keep coming. That's why forums need their mods.

Last edited by Larthak; 2009-03-15 at 08:27.
Old 2009-03-15, 08:22   Link #38
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

The negatives of AS moderating are easily overshadowed by the positives. Another forum I frequent is not very strict and even some of the mods flame people, although it's usually justified in some way.
I'd like to see AS moderating on that forum, I bet 50% would leave

Overall, I have nothing to complain about, since I think they are doing a good job over here. More like some users are oversensitive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
I believe, it's the number of new members registering now and then. Some of them are not sure what to expect, not familiar with the community yet. Heck, even I misunderstood a few people at the very beginning of my membership (shame on me ). Thanks to such, some discussions are going a bit overboard from time to time. Nothing unusual, I say...
This also holds truth. Until people get used to a new forum, tensions are high.

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
Old 2009-03-15, 21:27   Link #39
tkdtiger

Well I for one think the mods are great on this forum. Sometimes I don't agree with some of their interpretations, but they have always allowed me to give my views and opinions. I think they always try their best to keep and open mind, but we have to remember they're human too and they can get pretty heated as well. I mean lets face it how many of us have gotten into heated discussions in the forum...sometimes we don't think about what we type and that where the mods need to step in...so I'm satisfied of the job well done in making sure I'm staying within the rules and making sure i don't over step that line...
Old 2009-03-22, 18:04   Link #40
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
over sensitive?
Not really, I've been here quite a while now but never have I really seen posts getting deleted without proper reason, besides mods don't see everything I think (don't know actually) most things come in through reports and really without them this place would crash down and burn.

Appreciate what you do for us Mods, keep up the good work!
Closed Thread