AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-07, 16:37   Link #1381
Mephisto2k
anime4life

I agree with what most ppl here are writing. The concept had potential even if it was just another anime in the slot of Dears, Sekirei, To-loveru and so on. Originality is not everything. But despite decent animation quality, they missed their potential. They went into depth at hardly anything and all the action and fighting was just out of place.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-08, 03:03   Link #1382
PzIVf3

PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 15:51   Link #1383
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Yes I'm late into the ride, and yes I just finished the whole darned funny-sexy-action packed-heartwarming-tourist brouchure for Okinawa in 3 days, 2 sittings.

And being a sucker for cuteness and action in general, I AM one of those silly billies crying out for a SECOND SEASON!! The novels are still ongoing after all, and the abrubt and open way the first season ended is just screaming "Sponsors, sponsor us. We wanna make more ads for Okinawa!!"

Not to mention the adorable Toyosaki Aki, the voice of My Wife, did a smashing job as vice-captain Melvin here. I was quite surprised that Aki did her voice, as she is almost COMPLETELY different from Yui-chan in performance and pitch.

That said, there is one HUGE character development issue I have a bone to pick:

The "Tenchi Solution" Ending.

Yes I'm happy that all three of our quirky and lovable leading ladies now get to have a piece of Kio (one way or another ).

BUT, the way Manami and Aoi so unconditionally and suddenly accepted Ellis' utopian proposal brought all the emotional buildup and tension of the previous 11 Episodes to a CRASHING SCREECHING HALT.

What made Manami and Aoi's STRAINED partenership believable up to that point was the fact they were each individual human beings with their own hopes and dreams, and were more than willing to be selfish about it like any believable human being would.

Their sudden out-of-the-blue and abrubt acceptance of Eris' proposal makes it seems they suddenly took "Make me a cardboard cutout with no personality pills" and suddenly becae hollow caricatures solely defined by their affecctions for Kio rather than their own individual humanities.

Sure, hugs are nice Eris. But only SECONDS ago Manami told you she resented you for butting in and taking her chance, and Aoi outright told you she HATED you under 24 hours ago in narrative time, and you SUDDENLY proposing polygamy is legal SHOULD NOT make the hate go away in a magical second.

If the writers BOTHERED to put human feelings into the context of this relationship, they should know that this can ONLY end in a School Days Nice-Boat bloodbath. And considering all three ladies are superpowered, its going to be a Superman-Vs-Doomsday scale massacre.

Yes, I would want to see more of these cuties in Another Season, but more for a desire to see a SATISFACTORY resolution to this relationship than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
It always makes me feel warm and fuzzy to see my birth country featured on anime.

The suits the girls wore look like they were borrowed from the sets of a bad sentai series though.

And giving Earth an orbital elevator?! That's a huge gift with strong civilization level impact, they sure are generous.
Oh, and TAIWAN FOREVER AND EVER!!

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2010-10-14 at 02:02. Reason: The "EDIT" button is your friend...
Yui Is My Wife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 22:51   Link #1384
GrrDraxin

Send a message via Yahoo to GrrDraxin
Hmm, after reading some of the back posts on here, I've come to the conclusion that Kio has also suffered what I've come to call "Intimidated Writer Syndrome". Which I define as a tendency of anime screen writers to make formerly strong and semi-realistic characters into wimpy and romantically dense characters, because the writers don't want their wives and girlfriends comparing them to those fictional males, and having to live up to those standards in their own relationships. So they purposely try and lower those standards so nobody would be able to tell the difference.

And for japanese society, that seems to work, but for us westerners that value a strong male personality, that just makes the characters look... well, weak and dense. Of course, what would you think of Kio if he acted more like Tony Stark from Iron Man? I think that would make the screen writers very nervous, because he probably would be so much cooler than they are. Though Kio probably would still be annoying, but for just for different reasons.

Spoiler for Asobi ni Iku yo! Cat's Attacks! NSFW:
Old 2010-10-19, 11:14   Link #1385
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^I've posted the Cats attacks gif a few weeks ago, and I've come across the actual game later on. I just didn't think it was very appropriate to talk about it in this thread. Besides, people interested in that stuff usually know where it find it.

In other news, the second BD comes out tomorrow. Looking forward to the badass naked gunfu.

Spoiler for Swimsuit:
Old 2010-10-19, 18:35   Link #1386
GrrDraxin

Usually, but then that's only about 50% of people though, the rest are usually Kio-clueless about it, or just don't care. But the reason I brought it up is to see if anyone knows a translator interested in helping me translate it, I've been stuck with machine translating it, and it's very very hard to do. So, I won't get my hopes up about anyone willing to help.

But yes, that is indeed a nice image, and I too hope for some... unobstructed views once the BD/DVDs are out.

I've also noticed that in the manga, there are several new faces that didn't make it to the anime, and some changes for others.
Spoiler for more characters in the manga?:

Last edited by GrrDraxin; 2010-10-19 at 18:52.
GrrDraxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 06:17   Link #1387
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrDraxin View Post
Usually, but then that's only about 50% of people though, the rest are usually Kio-clueless about it, or just don't care. But the reason I brought it up is to see if anyone knows a translator interested in helping me translate it, I've been stuck with machine translating it, and it's very very hard to do. So, I won't get my hopes up about anyone willing to help.

But yes, that is indeed a nice image, and I too hope for some... unobstructed views once the BD/DVDs are out.

I've also noticed that in the manga, there are several new faces that didn't make it to the anime, and some changes for others.
Spoiler for more characters in the manga?:
The anime version is more faithful to the light novel or manga ?
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 12:38   Link #1388
GrrDraxin

It seems pretty faithful to the manga, with the exception of a few characters being missing, and the addition of the Ancestor Assistoroid episode, which may have originated from the light novel, but only one that's read them knows for sure.

And in case anyone want's to know, I've finished translating and formatting the dialog scripts for Cats Attack. I'll see about getting the file online later, I'm rather tired as it took me all night doing it.
Old 2010-10-20, 18:58   Link #1389
Rei.K

I actually enjoyed the anime, but it was more because of the gorgeous character design rather than the plot (at least I'm admitting it)... dunno about the original novel, but the plot from the anime was pretty silly. Which is a shame if you asked me, because there was a lot of potential just asking to be used. I think they should have focused more on the relationships between the characters instead of those silly sub action oriented arcs, since it was obviously meant to be a harem oriented story anyway.
It had started nicely with the first episode though. Too bad it fell short soon after.

Obligatory :

... yeah, sure. lol.
Rei.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 19:02   Link #1390
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
That said, there is one HUGE character development issue I have a bone to pick:

The "Tenchi Solution" Ending.

Yes I'm happy that all three of our quirky and lovable leading ladies now get to have a piece of Kio (one way or another ).

BUT, the way Manami and Aoi so unconditionally and suddenly accepted Ellis' utopian proposal brought all the emotional buildup and tension of the previous 11 Episodes to a CRASHING SCREECHING HALT.

What made Manami and Aoi's STRAINED partenership believable up to that point was the fact they were each individual human beings with their own hopes and dreams, and were more than willing to be selfish about it like any believable human being would.

Their sudden out-of-the-blue and abrubt acceptance of Eris' proposal makes it seems they suddenly took "Make me a cardboard cutout with no personality pills" and suddenly becae hollow caricatures solely defined by their affecctions for Kio rather than their own individual humanities.

Sure, hugs are nice Eris. But only SECONDS ago Manami told you she resented you for butting in and taking her chance, and Aoi outright told you she HATED you under 24 hours ago in narrative time, and you SUDDENLY proposing polygamy is legal SHOULD NOT make the hate go away in a magical second.

Actually, I really don't think it did. If you look at their faces right after Eris makes her statement about how "unbounded" human relationships are, I believe what you will see is more like stunned silence rather than agreement. If they got along well at the end, it was because neither Aoi nor Manami expected to see Kio again. Much more of a keeping our last moments happy, rather than we'll all get along happily. We won't know for sure until next season
Old 2010-10-21, 11:14   Link #1391
Rei.K

I just had a look at the Bluray release and it's just insane ... they went all the way and removed all censorship from the TV version, we get full top frontal nudity for every character, especially in episode 3.

... I'd post a few snapshots but I guess it wouldn't be suitable
Old 2010-10-21, 12:21   Link #1392
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei.K View Post
I just had a look at the Bluray release and it's just insane ... they went all the way and removed all censorship from the TV version, we get full top frontal nudity for every character, especially in episode 3.

... I'd post a few snapshots but I guess it wouldn't be suitable
Really?

Must not buy...
Must not buy...
Must not buy...
Woahh!!! I'll give it a chance by dowloading and then maybe I'll buy...
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 13:30   Link #1393
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

Why they censored Kio's butts in the TV version of episode 3 ? Normally, only female nudity in every anime can be censored.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 13:34   Link #1394
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Really?

Must not buy...
Must not buy...
Must not buy...
Woahh!!! I'll give it a chance by dowloading and then maybe I'll buy...
The way Manami's boobs moved.... Wow.
Old 2010-10-21, 16:02   Link #1395
GrrDraxin

Alright! That's IT!! I'm re-grabbing those if I can find them subbed!

*Gasp* Darn it! It's only in 1080P! I can't handle that, I'll seriously lag....! Oh well, looks like I'll have to watch it in slow motion just so I don't loose any of that visual goodness. VLC, today you are redeemed once more.
Old 2011-01-10, 16:23   Link #1396
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

Next on my hate list to torch is Asobi ni Ikuyo (ANI). So this is an anime with minimum effort to make a convincing story. The scriptwriter practically took all possible fetishes and threw them at your face, trying to make it look funny. And indeed, ANI is really a parody of anime sexual fetishes… and nothing else.

For starters, this anime did the mistake of airing in a time when such shows are all over the place. It is not special in any way; neither does it try to offer anything out of the ordinary. In fact, it hardly tries to be average. Even if it aims towards the usual target audience of males who still find 2D interesting, there is nothing in it that other shows around the same time weren’t offering in spades. So yeah, bad first impressions.

The prime fetish here is cat girls. You know; nekomimis and tails and stuff. Using that as a base, any other fetish is later add to spice things further. Which works for a few episodes, until the prime fetishes run out and the situation becomes far less exciting than when it began. Before I move along, I must point out that I find it hideous to like a girl with cat ears. Especially if she already has a set of normal ones and the cat-like ones are popping as extra from the top of the scull. Yuck!

STORY SECTION: 3
First the story… If you are able to find one. It is about cat women coming to Earth to have fun and mess with the life of the Archetypical Loser TM; anything other than that is just smokescreen. There are supposed to be conspiracies and alien invasions every now and then, spies double crossing, mecha firing energy beams and huge spaceships blowing up. All of these are presented in the most simplistic and rushed way possible, just as filler for the real focus of the show, which are excuses to have cat girls doing sexual stuff.

To be honest, the premise of the story could lead to something really interesting if it was taken seriously. I mean, it is about aliens coming to study human life and have fun while at the same time preventing their technology from being abused by shadow organizations and protecting the planet from being destroyed by their arch-enemies. Yet all we see is oversexualized nekomimis indulging in all sorts of deprived fetishes because it is supposed to be learning about the human culture… which in the context of the series consists of nothing other than hentai magazines and cosplay shops. Seriously, WTF? I know it is a comedy which makes fun of otaku culture but it is doing it in such a blunt way, it is offending.

CHARACTER SECTION: 3
The lead male is the driest form of Indecisive Leads you can hope to never see again, yet unfortunately here he is again. I mean, seriously, the scriptwriters didn’t even bother to give him some quirk to at least look a bit different that all the rest of his brood. He is just a four-eyed nerd who never expresses his feelings, never decides to get serious with his affections, always runs away from his problems… yet look at that, all the hot chicks love him just for that. Makes sense NOT.

The lead girl is the usual bimbo with huge boobs and tiny brain who one day just drops in the fail-male’s house and immediately tries its best to have sex with him. Heck, it is part of the story too; she is on heat and MUST mate with the first male she likes. Well, she chooses this eunuch, who for some reason hardly cares. Other than that, there are two other human girls, who are super spies or something, taking armies of terrorists and fight with mecha like they are having breakfast. They are too in love with the guy and his completely boring and dried up personality. There are also many other secondary characters, most of which are again oversexualized girs or lolis or MILFs who are there just to further advance the story with more FAP SERVICE.

Again, the story had lots of openings to be something really interesting and its cast had enough backdrop to be fleshed out a lot more. We clearly see scenes where the main girls offer insight to what has formed their lives to be as such and why they like the main cardboard. And yet all of it is washed away for sleazy nude and sex jokes around nekomimis, degrading them to nothing else other than sperm targets. It is a really shame; really it is. It’s not like we can’t have that; remember the Abh aliens in Banner of the Stars? They were cat-lovers as well. Yet what do we learn of the Catia aliens in the entire show? That they are all super hot nekomimi chicks on heat, who love to cosplay. Ok…

A special note must be given to the mascots of the show, those small cat android helpers. They are supposed to be cute and eye-catchy for us to like them. Only thing THEY ARE UGLY F**KERS. Their faces are just emotionless globes with two black spots and their movements are simplistic and not perky at all. They are distasteful critters and I hate them!

ANIMATION & SOUND SECTIONS: 7
Being a parody of fetishes and sci-fi in general, each episode is full of hints and allusions to other famous works or anime tropes. It is a nice extra to keep you somewhat interesting. There are also lots of action scenes with explosions and gunfights and spaceships, all of which are rushed, not serious at all and effectively are nothing but filler time before the next ecchi scene pops up. Beyond that, all girls are drawn in ways to attract all the pervs; all possible body shapes and booby sizes are present, accompanied by all sorts of cosplay uniforms.

There are males too but who cares about them…

Voice acting and BGM are nice; nothing irritating here.

Unfortunately, all the above are done in a rather boring way. The characters don’t look lively or perky enough, too many still frames, the explosions look fake, the nude scenes are the same copy-pasted ones we see in all similar shows and thus are not exciting at all. Heck, after Queen’s Blade, what is? It’s like it was all done without much care to look eye-catchy enough.

VALUE & ENJOYMENT SECTIONS: 4
In a way, this show did the same mistake DearS did many years ago. It is offering a great premise around alien encounters and character immersion and yet hardly does anything with it. It is also not exciting in any way as it uses a tired formula of ecchi and a cast not worth remembering for being so undermined in favor of something any other similar show offers in the same or better way.

The first episodes were interesting, while the lead girl was on heat and was acting all crazy. But then that faded away and there wasn’t even a spicy situation to look forward to. The final episode didn’t even feel sexy anymore because all the situations were shown so many times in previous episodes and by then the little interest you may have had is already gone as well.

Average: 4.5 / 10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 19:51   Link #1397
GrrDraxin

Wow, a typical "Western" thought process for that review. Guess the Japanese just like their MOE anime just as we like our Sponge Bob cartoons; dumb and plotless.... except with a very adult twist and sexual cuteness all abound... Of which I'm quite fond of thank you. But believe it or not, the manga follows this same pattern the anime did almost to the letter. So it seems it doesn't cater to those seeking drama and deep plots like you seem to, so maybe you'll be also disappointed with the manga as well. Might as well drop it while you have enough sanity to do so.

I however will continue on this path of sexual cuteness because it's esthetically pleasing to mine eyes and ears.

Last edited by GrrDraxin; 2011-01-13 at 20:03.
GrrDraxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 20:26   Link #1398
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I expect Duck Tales or Transformers Animated level of plot or animation when it comes to cartoons; not Spongebob. So yeah, I don't like this sort of thing.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 22:51   Link #1399
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei.K View Post
I actually enjoyed the anime, but it was more because of the gorgeous character design rather than the plot (at least I'm admitting it)... dunno about the original novel, but the plot from the anime was pretty silly. Which is a shame if you asked me, because there was a lot of potential just asking to be used. I think they should have focused more on the relationships between the characters instead of those silly sub action oriented arcs, since it was obviously meant to be a harem oriented story anyway.
It had started nicely with the first episode though. Too bad it fell short soon after.

Obligatory :

... yeah, sure. lol.
Oh, is THAT what they call them now? Wow, well when I see a beautiful woman coming my way, the polite thing to say is: My what lovely pair of Plots you have. So a brassiere would be called Plot Armor, and when they get ecchi, they call it a Plot Kai, fascinating>v>.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 19:13   Link #1400
Rei.K

OVA is out.

What did everybody think about it ?

Tags
comedy, romance, sci-fi, shounen