AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-30, 08:52   Link #521
typhonsentra

You know, Aoba comes off very different in the anime from how I interpreted her behavior in the comics. Whenever reading her dialogue I always hear it in my head as being sarcastic. In the anime she can get flustered and nervous, traits I didn't picture in the original work.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 12:52   Link #522
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
You know, Aoba comes off very different in the anime from how I interpreted her behavior in the comics. Whenever reading her dialogue I always hear it in my head as being sarcastic. In the anime she can get flustered and nervous, traits I didn't picture in the original work.
I agree, but considering that Adachi is advising the anime staff, maybe the things he was not able to give to us in the manga due to the limitations of the medium and also the loss that happens when you translate from japanese to english are more obvious in the anime. it is just like the 3 sighs of aoba, the feeling of them was lost in the manga because you couldn't tell each sigh was lounder that the previous but you could get the feeling of it in the anime.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 13:29   Link #523
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
What do guys think of Touch? Is it very similar to Cross Game? I was thinking of picking it up . Will it make Cross Game seem repetitive?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 13:32   Link #524
iamthewalrus

Gothlin -I really don't understand what you're getting at with the 3 sighs. Are you thinking that the anime shows the 3 sighs having some sort of deeper meaning or are you just saying that the anime gives a bigger emphasis on it since each sigh gets bigger?

to me in both the manga and anime it was just for mere comic relief, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Theowne, if I were you I would consider reading/watching Touch. Cross game was my first Adachi work, and I quickly read some others since I loved it so much, including touch.

Cross game is very similar to Touch, but not so much that it would make it repetitive. You can make the case that cross game is somewhat of a twisted version of touch, because each of the protagonists have similar reasons to go to the koshien, specifically for a certain someone.

But like cross game, touch tends to focus more on the romantic side of things instead of baseball. In fact the main character doesn't play a real game of baseball until 50 ch/20+ episodes in I believe.

So overall, look into it! I enjoyed the series after getting into cross game, however I think cross game has the potential to be a better when its finished.
iamthewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 02:42   Link #525
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Oh geez NeoSam. The question should have been asked in the manga thread. As such I've moved a few posts over there.

Saw episode 13. Hmmmmmm...
Old 2009-07-05, 01:04   Link #526
poko-kun

Watched ep. 14
Junpei sounds like an old guy to my ears. Who is his seiyuu?
Anyway, I love how Kou teases Aoba. Made me giggle.

Forgot to comment
New ED is nice, it's ears' candy plus we have a lot of sexy (I mean... girlish) pics of Aoba to see.
(Love her in backless tank-top the most)

Last edited by poko-kun; 2009-07-05 at 02:15.
poko-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 22:40   Link #527
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm, I far prefer the old ending song.

Still, at least they kept the opening, I really like that song.

As for the episode, some basic plot setup for next time, we get to learn more about Azuma's brother. Also, apparently Aoba is quite the heartbreaker. Also while Momiji is obviously set on having Kou for a brother-in-law, sometimes I get hints that Ichiyō is playing a subtle matchmaker too.

Then the pool scene... what the heck???? It was a little strange.

Kou did his "draw your own conclusions" routine again about him being Aoba's boyfriend. I seriously think he must do that just to get a rise out of her. It almost backfired on him this time though.

Then we shift over to some serious talk between Aoba and Kou about Wakaba.

You know... I've been thinking, even if Kou never has a romance with Aoba, or anyone for that matter- Cross Game will still be one of the best love stories I've ever seen. The love story between Wakaba and Kou all by itself is very moving.

Love doesn't end with death. A love story can still go on.

That is one of the better messages of Cross Game, and one that isn't common in modern media as it used to be.

You know, that was part of what made Kyoko such an interesting person in Maison Ikkoku.

Just like Soichiro was a major character with a big impact in Maison Ikkoku, despite only appearing in flashbacks, Wakaba is a major character in Cross Game. In some ways, and in some episodes, she actually competes with Aoba for the female lead. Even in an episode like this where she has less than a minute of screen time.

PS @ poko-kun: Those pics of Aoba are more Tomboyish than girlish. Not that that's a bad thing. I like Tomboys- both my sisters were tomboys.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 02:25   Link #528
apropervillain

Aoba sure looks sexy in that spaghetti strap...
apropervillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 03:02   Link #529
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropervillain View Post
Well said!

Episode 14 salvaged itself near the end. The episode was ok otherwise.
Old 2009-07-06, 07:57   Link #530
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropervillain View Post
Yeah. Absolutely agree

btw
anyone can make the new ed rip?
[Orange days by Squarehood]

Last edited by poko-kun; 2009-07-06 at 09:05.
poko-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 10:54   Link #531
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Obligatory fan service episode of sorts. Sort of.

The ending of episode 14 however has confirmed for me that Wakaba will be the initiator, catalyst and contrastingly the problem source of Kou's and Aoba's future relationship.

And someone tell me that Aoba's gonna play in this must-win match in episode 15 because... you know... Aoba and Kou playing in the same game would be absolutely awesome.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 12:08   Link #532
typhonsentra

Wakaba is the entire issue at this point, anytime they're together she's the topic of discussion and it's kinda painful for them. It's definitely relatable, even if you enjoy the other person's company, the fact that you both know each other through a bad situation will always be on your mind while around each other.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 15:04   Link #533
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Wakaba is the entire issue at this point, anytime they're together she's the topic of discussion and it's kinda painful for them. It's definitely relatable, even if you enjoy the other person's company, the fact that you both know each other through a bad situation will always be on your mind while around each other.
that thing is that even though it is painful, and they remember the most when they are together, they kind of like it because they don't want to forget about her.
Old 2009-07-06, 21:34   Link #534
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's hardly necessary to rhapsodize again about how great this show is, but one thing that really struck me about 14 is how much the writing is able to convey with minimal dialogue. Kou's simple "What did Wakaba see in me?", followed by a long moment of silence, then reaction shots - yet it conveyed more emotional power than ertire talky episodes of inferior work.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 22:25   Link #535
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's hardly necessary to rhapsodize again about how great this show is, but one thing that really struck me about 14 is how much the writing is able to convey with minimal dialogue. Kou's simple "What did Wakaba see in me?", followed by a long moment of silence, then reaction shots - yet it conveyed more emotional power than ertire talky episodes of inferior work.
Yes.. that's one of the best things about Cross Game. It makes it's impact with understatement- instead of the over blown drama too common in most melodramas.

Also, the voice actors are really good. Aoba's response: "That's what I want to know."

It could have come across as petty gripping- but instead it came across as sincere.

Aoba really doesn't understand what Wakaba saw in Kou, but her tone of voice expresses not only her lack of understanding, and not only her frustration with her sister for loving this boy so much, but also hinted that part of Aoba really wants to know. What did Wakaba see in Kou? Is he special somehow? In someway that she can't see?

That mix of emotion is hard enough for live actors to get across. For a voice actor, I thought it was pretty incredible.
Old 2009-07-06, 23:17   Link #536
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, the voice acting by the leads is quite remarkable. They suit the material by playing it very straight and understated. Irino Miyu is as great as expected as Kou - he got his start playing teenage boys when he was barely one himself, and though he recently graduated from that fraternity he still plays them with more authenticity than almost anyone in the business. Haruka Tomatsu OTOH has never been a favorite of mine - at the very least, never a model of restraint in her various roles. But she succeeds against type here - she finds the perfect mix of snarkiness and vulnerability as Aoba.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 12:27   Link #537
wayspooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That is Adachi Mitsuru's great strength in all his works. He says more with silence - or a couple words - or a look, than most mangaka say with pages or minutes of dialogue.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 12:55   Link #538
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I still remember the H2 scene where Hiro picks up a bat when Hikari tells him something in his room. What happens then and soon after had few (if any) words at all, but still has a resounding effect in my mind even today (last time I read it was like, half a decade ago? so that's saying something).

Even here Adachi has shown it, one of which comes to mind immdiately was when Kou has learned of Wakaba's fate. His seemingly non-chalant look and his very few spoken words speaks volumes of his shock and disbelief over the event. Only when he saw Akaishi cry did the weight of the situation really hit home with him, and when his grief finally came over him. It's a scene, just like the aforementioned scene in H2, that will always be burned in my memory for how powerful it was.

Now for a more cheerful note, I do find it particularly squee worthy in that despite Aoba's animosity towards Kou, she still considers him an 'osana-najimi'. Just goes to prove you don't have to be on 'friendly' terms with someone to be their 'osana-najimi'. XD

And them putting Narita saying 'Going from childhoodfriends to lovers is paper thin...' (which IIRC is not said in the manga) has me putting +points on him. Two thumbs up Narita! You know your rival when you see him... ^_^
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 13:00   Link #539
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

And them putting Narita saying 'Going from childhoodfriends to lovers is paper thin...' (which IIRC is not said in the manga) has me putting +points on him. Two thumbs up Narita! You know your rival when you see him... ^_^
the anime is less subtle about something going on between Kou and Aoba . This is done on purpose because the writers already know the future events so they can afford to be more open about things.
Old 2009-07-07, 22:07   Link #540
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

I created a page on TV Tropes for Cross Game

In case anybody here wants to help expand it.

I tried to avoid any spoilers about the first episode.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports