AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-30, 01:13   Link #641
FuzzyWuzzy

Filler next episode?
Old 2009-07-30, 01:16   Link #642
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
Filler next episode?
The plot for the episode itself exists in the manga, so it's not filler. Probably be an expanded version of what the manga has.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 02:25   Link #643
poko-kun

Watched 18 * Simply but cute (Risa isn't a bad character after all)

... and can't wait to see ep. 19!
New character introduce, Mizuki.
poko-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 06:34   Link #644
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

I dunno what it is... but I just can't get into the anime adaptation of this series... I love the manga but I'm just not feeling the anime...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 08:30   Link #645
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
I dunno what it is... but I just can't get into the anime adaptation of this series... I love the manga but I'm just not feeling the anime...
I can sympathies with you because there are a lot of adaptions of source material that I am less than keen on. But in this case I am really enjoying Cross Game (favorite anime airing right now in fact) so I am just glad I have not read the manga to compare.

I probably will start though if the anime ends before the manga is over.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 09:03   Link #646
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I can sympathies with you because there are a lot of adaptions of source material that I am less than keen on. But in this case I am really enjoying Cross Game (favorite anime airing right now in fact) so I am just glad I have not read the manga to compare.

I probably will start though if the anime ends before the manga is over.
Dunno, I just felt that Wakaba's passing was handled poorly by the anime. With the manga you go through almost a full volume before she passes. You really get a feel for the dynamic of the relationship she has with Kou and Aoba... and that makes her death all the more heart wrenching.
Old 2009-08-02, 11:12   Link #647
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Speaking as one who had never even laid eyes on a single page of an Adachi manga, I can say that I found the way they handled Wakaba's passing in the anime simply note perfect. It was the single event that catapulted him from a simple name into the pantheon of favorite authors, even if he had done it differently in the manga. I just loved that first episode oh, so much...

And I'm still loving the series, even after reading the entirety of the manga, so far.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 11:23   Link #648
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Speaking as one who had never even laid eyes on a single page of an Adachi manga, I can say that I found the way they handled Wakaba's passing in the anime simply note perfect. It was the single event that catapulted him from a simple name into the pantheon of favorite authors, even if he had done it differently in the manga. I just loved that first episode oh, so much...

And I'm still loving the series, even after reading the entirety of the manga, so far.
Have you read Touch? By far his best completed work IMHO, so far.
Old 2009-08-02, 11:34   Link #649
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Incredibly enough, I'm finding Cross Game better than Touch - love the anime and the movie to bits, tho. But my favorite of his is Rough, by the way. Dunno why, maybe because I was a competitive swimmer in my younger years, or by the sheer beauty of the confession at the end...

Old 2009-08-02, 12:02   Link #650
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
I guess if I had read the manga maybe my impression of the death sequence would be different. I've only watched the anime and the episode hit all the right notes for me. I plan to read the manga later on but for now I always prefer (good) anime adaptations.

P.S. I'll leave my comparison to Cross Game with Touch until Cross Game finishes, but I absolutely adore Touch and it's one of my favourite anime if not the favourite. Although Cross Game is more polished both in terms of storytelling and the anime adaptation.

Spoiler for Touch:

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 14:25   Link #651
jpwong

Anyone notice how much the Lets Draw Nomo entries have improved this week? I think I'm going to enjoy next week's episode because of the amount of flashback material that they can potentially cram into it.
Old 2009-08-02, 20:58   Link #652
lixuelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Incredibly enough, I'm finding Cross Game better than Touch - love the anime and the movie to bits, tho. But my favorite of his is Rough, by the way. Dunno why, maybe because I was a competitive swimmer in my younger years, or by the sheer beauty of the confession at the end...
Touch is very similar to Cross Game but also very different.

Spoiler for Touch:

Anyway all Adachi Mitsuru manga are excellent. Wish someone will someday finish subbing Hiatari Ryouko.

edit: typo

Last edited by lixuelai; 2009-08-02 at 22:32.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 21:01   Link #653
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
Touch is very similar to Cross Game but also very different.

Spoiler for Touch:

Anyway all Adachi Mitsuru manga are excellent. Wish they someone will someday finish subbing Hiatari Ryouko.
the main premise of both shows is that one of the people feels like they can't betray one person. Besides that everything is different.

edit: removed what could be a spoiler...

Last edited by golthin; 2009-08-03 at 03:12.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 21:28   Link #654
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
the main premise of both shows......
I kind of think that should be in spoiler tags, since anyone who reads it will be able to predict what happens if they ever watch Touch...

Spoiler for touch:

Old 2009-08-02, 22:20   Link #655
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

I tend to term Cross Game as the anti-Touch, at least superficially. Think with me: in Touch, everything has that feel of a perfect peaceful life and society, with the shadow of tragedy tinging a bit of the surroundings, later on; in Cross Game, we're introduced to some of the scum of society quite early on, with all the shady politics going on at the high school. And look at the team managers, for God's sake...

Anyway, the stories are similar but quite different, IMHO.

Old 2009-08-02, 22:51   Link #656
lixuelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I kind of think that should be in spoiler tags, since anyone who reads it will be able to predict what happens if they ever watch Touch...

Spoiler for touch:
Should definitely finish Touch. It becomes THE factor.
Old 2009-08-03, 00:42   Link #657
Theowne
耳をすませば

Oh, I'm sure it does, but I just don't think it really should be called the main premise.

Old 2009-08-03, 02:27   Link #658
lixuelai

Episode 18 is out. Hilarious
Old 2009-08-03, 08:13   Link #659
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I can't fucking understand it. How does this show remain even minimally awesome despite being almost purely filler for side characters?

Before anything else, Mr. Big Talk fails at life.

However, I'm again gaining a huge amount of respect for the Ball Wench and the Token Female Rival. So much so that I owe it to them to start memorizing their names.

Hell she freaking copied Aoba's pitching form after seeing it only 3 times!

In the end however, seeing her smile after so many episodes of her always scowling was utterly priceless.

This is quite possibly one of the best filler episodes of any anime I have ever seen.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 08:20   Link #660
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Dunno, I just felt that Wakaba's passing was handled poorly by the anime. With the manga you go through almost a full volume before she passes. You really get a feel for the dynamic of the relationship she has with Kou and Aoba... and that makes her death all the more heart wrenching.
Thing is take out the death of Wakaba in the first episode and I doubt a lot of people following this would've watched the first episode as soon as they did. Wakaba's death gave the first episode impact, gave it a hook which is not what a straight adaption of the first two chapters would've done... It was due to Wakaba's death that this got rave reviews all across the net.. and it's not like sport anime/manga is that popular in the first place. It was a necessary hook.. heck I went and read 120 chapters over 2 days after watching the first episode.. only other sport anime/manga I've liked as much as Cross Game is Hajime no Ippo. Only other sport manga I've read is.. Suzaku... Honestly I had no intention of checking this out until I saw such positive word of mouth...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports