AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-06, 08:56   Link #1201
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Ultimately, I think that's exactly what this story is about, IMHO.
However, I don't think they'll ever put Waka behind completely. Tragedies have a way of having lingering aftereffects on families and loved ones. She'll always be there, in more ways than one - even if not physically.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 09:04   Link #1202
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Perhaps part of the difference of views is that I believe in life after death, so to me Wakaba is still alive. So I don't see her as just a wonderful memory but as a continuing presence in Aoba and Kou's life.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 09:13   Link #1203
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I don't believe or disbelieve in it - I don't claim to know - but in the context of the story, I think even if Wakaba still exists as a consciousness she wouldn't be happy with the role she's playing in Kou and Aoba's lives right now. I tend to agree with BetoJR that this is more or less the point of the story - their journey towards acceptance of Wakaba's passage into a new form, however your beliefs define it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 01:09   Link #1204
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Is there any other instance when she has called him by his given name? I only remember her referring him as aitsu or Kitamura s-e-n-p-a-i.
she only calls those names in school or in front of strangers. She always call him kou when alone or in front of her sister and father. I guess she didn't care much about being proper in there.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 11:39   Link #1205
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Adachi cameo, yay!
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 13:36   Link #1206
king12354
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't believe or disbelieve in it - I don't claim to know - but in the context of the story, I think even if Wakaba still exists as a consciousness she wouldn't be happy with the role she's playing in Kou and Aoba's lives right now. I tend to agree with BetoJR that this is more or less the point of the story - their journey towards acceptance of Wakaba's passage into a new form, however your beliefs define it.
I get the feeling that Wakaba is more of the possessive type.

lol anyways.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 13:41   Link #1207
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Quote:
She always call him kou when alone or in front of her sister and father.
She does? Because I can't remember a single instance other than the three referred earlier.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 13:44   Link #1208
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Neither can I, actually.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 14:55   Link #1209
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
she only calls those names in school or in front of strangers. She always call him kou when alone or in front of her sister and father. I guess she didn't care much about being proper in there.
Constantly referring to him as "aitsu" or a mockingly sarcastic "kitamura sempai" isn't what I'd call "proper".
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 16:26   Link #1210
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Constantly referring to him as "aitsu" or a mockingly sarcastic "kitamura sempai" isn't what I'd call "proper".
i should have said not being familiar.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 16:57   Link #1211
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's fine that Kou still buys her a present on her birthday, but is it good that he's never had a date? Kissed a girl? What will happen when the engagement and wedding ring birthdays come up?
Personally I have mixed feelings about Kou continuing to buy the gifts on Wakaba's list. It obviously shows the audience how much she still effects him (and I think she always will in a way) and it's a very sweet gesture that always makes me go aww whenever he does it.

But these are gifts that are being kept in a box and not used. So it's sweet but also very sad in a way. Because besides showing the audience how much Kou obviously still cares about Wakaba. What does spending money on these things and keeping them in a box really do for Kou?
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 18:11   Link #1212
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But these are gifts that are being kept in a box and not used. So it's sweet but also very sad in a way. Because besides showing the audience how much Kou obviously still cares about Wakaba. What does spending money on these things and keeping them in a box really do for Kou?
I think it's more of a sense of accomplishment than anything else. Wakaba's list was her final wish-list and out of the good of his heart, Kou wants to at least be able to complete this list for Wakaba. I would only find it sad if Kou keeps buying stuff for her after this list is complete but aside from that, I don't find anything wrong with what he's doing.

It's also not about money and Kou isn't doing this for himself, it's for Wakaba. I feel as though Kou took Wakaba for granted while she was alive and he wants to complete this list for her at the very least. Maybe completing the list makes him feel at ease somewhat but that would only be speculation on my part.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 18:23   Link #1213
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
It's also not about money and Kou isn't doing this for himself, it's for Wakaba. I feel as though Kou took Wakaba for granted while she was alive and he wants to complete this list for her at the very least. Maybe completing the list makes him feel at ease somewhat but that would only be speculation on my part.
I understand that he is doing it for Wakaba, but she is dead, so it doesn't do her or anyone really any good. I feel him buying those things (as sweet as it is) is a sign that he is still having trouble letting go. They are just being kept in a box and not even used. That's just incredibly sad to me.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 18:27   Link #1214
elbowslayer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
where can i get more info on the ED3? i didnt understand the japanese characters from previous post. i need that song!
elbowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 19:06   Link #1215
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I understand that he is doing it for Wakaba, but she is dead, so it doesn't do her or anyone really any good. I feel him buying those things (as sweet as it is) is a sign that he is still having trouble letting go. They are just being kept in a box and not even used. That's just incredibly sad to me.
Even if she is dead, it's out of respect that Kou is doing it. To be honest, I don't really see how Kou is having trouble "letting go," on the contrary, I believe that he's coping very well. Even if Kou had stopped buying all these items, with that same track of mind, that would mean that his reasons for playing baseball is also a sign of Kou not being able to "let go."

It's not sad to show respect and complete a list that was the final wishes of someone that you loved dearly.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 19:29   Link #1216
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Even if she is dead, it's out of respect that Kou is doing it. To be honest, I don't really see how Kou is having trouble "letting go," on the contrary, I believe that he's coping very well. Even if Kou had stopped buying all these items, with that same track of mind, that would mean that his reasons for playing baseball is also a sign of Kou not being able to "let go."

It's not sad to show respect and complete a list that was the final wishes of someone that you loved dearly.
That would all feel more reassuring if Kou's romantic life had included something more than lying by the river peeking up skirts...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 19:44   Link #1217
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That would all feel more reassuring if Kou's romantic life had included something more than lying by the river peeking up skirts...


Well, he's only human
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 21:37   Link #1218
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Even if she is dead, it's out of respect that Kou is doing it. To be honest, I don't really see how Kou is having trouble "letting go," on the contrary, I believe that he's coping very well. Even if Kou had stopped buying all these items, with that same track of mind, that would mean that his reasons for playing baseball is also a sign of Kou not being able to "let go."

It's not sad to show respect and complete a list that was the final wishes of someone that you loved dearly.
Yes perhaps part of the reason he is playing baseball is for Wakaba and her dream. But you can't deny that he is getting something positive and growing as a person from playing baseball.

But buying a bunch of things that no one is going to even use is a bit sad to me. Yes Wakaba wanted him to buy her those things but I am pretty sure she wanted them when she was alive. What use are they to her now and what use is it to Kou? I am not necessarily saying him buying these things is hurting him, but I don't see it as an entirely positive thing either.

It's similar to Aoba hanging onto Wakaba's words about Kou being hers, even though Wakaba is dead. Although I do think that thought is hurting Aoba in a way.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:21   Link #1219
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But buying a bunch of things that no one is going to even use is a bit sad to me. Yes Wakaba wanted him to buy her those things but I am pretty sure she wanted them when she was alive. What use are they to her now and what use is it to Kou? I am not necessarily saying him buying these things is hurting him, but I don't see it as an entirely positive thing either.

It's similar to Aoba hanging onto Wakaba's words about Kou being hers, even though Wakaba is dead. Although I do think that thought is hurting Aoba in a way.
Then we simply have a difference of opinions on this matter. Let me put it to you this way, when one does a favor for someone they love, they don't expect anything in return, it's a matter of mutual respect. Kou wants to buy all the items on the list for Wakaba and he's not expecting anything out of it. Buying those items isn't affecting him negatively either, he goes throughout his life the same way he always does while reminding himself once a year to buy the next item on Wakaba's list.

Now in my opinion, Kou hasn't been doing anything that shows me that his actions are "sad" in any way, but rather it gives me a better outlook on his character, it speaks volumes. What I consider "sad" would be if Kou were to cry every time he bought one of those items, or if he were to stare at the items with a vacant look on his face. Kou just simply buys those items and puts it in a box, and my guess would be that once he finishes collecting everything, he'll probably just set it on her grave.

As for Aoba's dilemma, that's a whole other can of worms. Although for now, I don't believe those words have that much of an affect for the time being considering that Aoba hasn't yet realized her feelings, or rather hasn't really accepted them yet.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 10:23   Link #1220
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Then we simply have a difference of opinions on this matter. Let me put it to you this way, when one does a favor for someone they love, they don't expect anything in return, it's a matter of mutual respect. Kou wants to buy all the items on the list for Wakaba and he's not expecting anything out of it. Buying those items isn't affecting him negatively either, he goes throughout his life the same way he always does while reminding himself once a year to buy the next item on Wakaba's list.
Well we do have a difference of opinion but I also don't think you understand what I am saying. Wakaba is dead, whether Kou buys gifts for her or does nice things for her doesn't really matter to her because she can no longer experience these things. So I do think it is sad to buy things that no one is even going to use and store them in a box.

Even Azuma said he feels bad for Kou (or something along those lines) some episodes back. So I think he does see that Kou is not completely moving on.

But maybe you are right maybe he will put them on her grave at the end of the series as a way to say goodbye. That at least would be better than keeping the items stored away in a box.

edit: I should clarify that although I have mixed feelings about what Kou is doing, I do enjoy it storywise because I feel it adds to Kou's character.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.